Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is announced that Ireland WILL hold referendum on EU fiscal compact treaty

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    I'll be proudly voting yes. There is no alternative plan better than the current one to attempt to save Ireland from becoming a completely failed bankrupt state. It's a painful few years we're in for, but it is the best way to get ourselves back on our feet.

Ireland is already a failed bankrupt state. We are being funded by the IMF/EU.

The only way to stop the complete destruction of Ireland is to vote NO. This will mean that we have to stop wasting money.

Ireland is a like a heroin addict at the moment, selling our bottom to Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pity there wasn't a yes/no choice on paying bond holders. I believe a resounding no would be the result and that's why we don't get to choose on such matters.

Fucking bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

_Gawd_ wrote: »
    Closing our deficit by borrowing more money that we need to pay back interest on? Seriously, there is a serious lack of mathematical ability in this country, no wonder we're slipping down the international ranks.

There's a serious lack of knowing what a deficit is as well judging from your post.
    Deficit is the difference between income and spending. See how well cutting everything by 30% overnight would go down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I have no fucking idea what is going on.

Someone somewhere is living in sin and must atone! ;)
    To help you be distracted from this terrible shame and take your mind off it, the state has come up with a simple vote issue! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Pity there wasn't a yes/no choice on paying bond holders. I believe a resounding no would be the result and that's why we don't get to choose on such matters.

Fucking bastards.

If (when?) we vote no for this, then what will we pay the bond holders with?
    We are getting another 3billion or so off of the IMF soon, and we will be handing this over to Anglo.

A NO vote will mean we have to stop paying the bondholders because we won't have the money to pay them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

OSI wrote: »
    I look forward to the €1 minimum wage, compulsory German and Irish Army in every war arguments that are sure to be the highlight of the No campaign.

http://www.thejournal.ie/government-confirms-referendum-on-eu-fiscal-compact-treaty-368394-Feb2012/

O good christ jesus no.......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ghandee wrote: »
    The outcome of this vote depends on our Govts ability to explain the fcuking thing in laymans terms.

They bamboozle the public with a load of supercalafragalisticexpeealydosis words, and its game over.

Explain the friggin thing so as I can make up my mind, and fully understand what it is I'm voting for, and you'll get the vote it deserves.

:cool:

Exactly, I just want to see the key points of the treaty, explained in short bullet points with to the point facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The outcome of this vote depends on our Govts ability to explain the fcuking thing in laymans terms.

They bamboozle the public with a load of supercalafragalisticexpeealydosis words, and its game over.

Explain the friggin thing so as I can make up my mind, and fully understand what it is I'm voting for, and you'll get the vote it deserves.

You think that ireland's political establishment is going to give you an honest steer on this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The treaty is :

Member states are obliged to keep their budget deficit below 3 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) and ensure their public debt does not exceed or is sufficiently declining towards 60 per cent of GDP.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0228/breaking46.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bambi wrote: »
    You think that ireland's political establishment is going to give you an honest steer on this? :confused:

Does he think they're capable of steering at all?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Wrong. The outcome, depends entirely on Vincent Brown, and McGurdiev:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Bambi wrote: »

Well, thats exactly what happened with the Lisbon treaty.

I voted no for that both times, but only because what thats certain people told me to vote.

And also to piss off Cowen. The fat git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Not going to bother voting

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just saw this on Twitter.
    referendum hashtag revealed: #aahhforfúckssakeref

I'll give you three guesses how I'll vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Bail or no bail? We are a bankrupt sate, who will pay off the gambling debts on the markets of billionaires like Abramovich, who hit a losing streak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Elaborate?
    We don't need any money, we'll live within our means. As soon as you borrow, you've thrown yourself to the wolves.

You are living in a dreamland if you think we can simply start living within our means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Not going to bother voting
    Thanks for dropping by.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Man, I really could do without months of "But they forced us to vote Yes!" "We'll be kicked out if we vote no!" "They said Yes to jobs!" "They said Yes to forced abortions!"

Is there any chance of people just being grown ups, educating themselves on what's actually in the treaty, cutting out the bull and then voting in the best interests of the country? Is that really something this country can't do?

I have no fucking idea what is going on.

Enda...

Is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Vote NO until the ECB take back their debt which belongs to them.

Does anyone find it ironic if the pact was in place before we nationalised the Bondholders debt, that this treaty would not allow us to nationalise this debt in the first place, as it would increase government borrowing above agreed levels

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    I'll be proudly voting yes. There is no alternative plan better than the current one to attempt to save Ireland from becoming a completely failed bankrupt state. It's a painful few years we're in for, but it is the best way to get ourselves back on our feet.

Maybe but we could blackmail them for a write-down of our debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

if Sinn Fein says vote NO, i vote YES:D

Hold that thought at the ballot box.

Then, remember who it was got us in the shiite we are in today.

I'll give you a clue.

It wasnt Sinn Fein.

I read that FF are supporting a "Yes" vote - I'm sure Enda will appreciate that boost which will help him win over the voters! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

The euro surrendered gains to trade little changed against the dollar today after Taoiseach Enda Kenny said Ireland will hold a referendum on Europe's new fiscal treaty.

It will be the first vote on the German-led plan for stricter budget discipline across the European Union.

The euro was last at $1.3399, flat from the prior New York close.

"A vote against the euro zone fiscal pact would block Ireland from the euro zone bailout fund," said Christopher Vecchio, currency analyst at DailyFX in New York. "European leaders have warned that a 'no' vote would be a symbolic rejection of euro zone membership."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0228/breaking43.html

Damned if you do , Damned if you dont

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What a fabulous waste of time and money this will be. At least it'll give the poster making and scaremongering spin doctor industries a much needed boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Amazing how people already know how they will be voting No despite not knowing the question.
    Yeah, those sneaky politicians might phrase the referendum as a double negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Here's the announcement by Gilmore. This just stinks of fecking hypocrisy. I'm all for a referendum but with what happened with the Lisbon Treaty I really have no faith in this whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Referendum threads merged.

Pandaboy, only nmsvUE0JMSo should be within the youtube tags. Remove the rest of the URL.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Do you agree to no more election buying giveaway McCreevey/Cowen budgets ? Yes or No.

But instead I'm going to have to listen to 3 months of tripe about sprouted by left wing nutters.
    Kenny should just sign the thing & lets get on with it.

Advertisement