Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is announced that Ireland WILL hold referendum on EU fiscal compact treaty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I wonder what the dire consequences will be threatened if we dare to vote no?

Anyway is it best of three or next goal wins for this referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I am pie wrote: »
    (as the country reverts to an economic ice age land)
    It will indeed be terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

patwicklow wrote: »
    We will use more ink.....

dont worry sinn fein have plenty of ink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Bambi wrote: »
    I wonder what the dire consequences will be threatened if we dare to vote no?

Not as ridiculous as the dire consequences we'll be threatened with if we vote yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Biggins wrote: »
    Is he not 'jumping the gun' slightly in signing this Friday?
    Is this not tantamount to an illegal action seeing as the referendum has not taken place yet, thus giving him the authorisation to do so (or told not to!) ?

Signing it is not the same as ratifying it.

• Advertisement

Not as ridiculous as the dire consequences we'll be threatened with if we vote yes.

We're already dealing with the dire consequences of our various yes votes. I say we try the other dire consequences now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

if Sinn Fein says vote NO, i vote YES:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Let the scare tactics begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if Sinn Fein says vote NO, i vote YES:D

if i say dont jump off a cliff would ya jump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It will indeed be terrible.

If you can't work out why Ireland and Iceland are different, then you go right ahead and join the rabble.

Good luck with that. Like I said, I'll be elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭happyman81

James. wrote: »
    No point voting no.

They will just keep running it over and over until they get the result that they want - just like the last time.

Great democracy

Just like the divorce referenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dvpower wrote: »
    Signing it is not the same as ratifying it.

Aaa... ok!

So what exactly IS he signing?
    Is he signing for permission to sign later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

I fear for the Dail's stationary cupboard, will someone please think of the poor cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I dont think the Irish people are in the mood for threats

This could actually be a very brave move by Enda Kenny. I expect some sweeteners in the run up to the referendum in the form of better terms on the promissory notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

The Shinners, are gonna need a sh1t load of ink:D:D

This could actually be a very brave move by Enda Kenny. I expect some sweeteners in the run up to the referendum in the form of better terms on the promissory notes.

Indeed - we might 'suddenly' get a drop in interest rate payback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is this not tantamount to an illegal action seeing as the referendum has not taken place yet, thus giving him the authorisation to do so (or told not to!) ?
    Well, I know you all voted no.... but I actually signed it a few weeks ago anyway. Sorry about that lads.
    This could actually be a very brave move by Enda Kenny.
    I see it as pretty cowardly though. Like most of what he's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I don't want to vote twice so I'll just do as I'm told the first time

I would have presumed constitutional protocol would preclude the plank from jumping the gun like that. Although it wouldn't suprise me if he chanced his arm anyway, ze germans can be very persuasive. The interesting thing is that if he did sign us up and then the amendment was defeated by referendum I would expect Kenny to have to resign as taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Tora Bora wrote: »
    The Shinners, are gonna need a sh1t load of ink:D:D

Dont you get a free pen at polling station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I've heard the government are hiring Robert Mugabe as the special advisor to this campaign

Aaa... ok!

So what exactly IS he signing?
    Is he signing for permission to sign later?
    His signing the treaty is just indicating that it is government policy to ratify. Enda Kenny signing a document doesn't automatically alter Irish law. Even without a referendum, it would still have required a Dail vote before it becomes law.

smash wrote: »
    I see it as pretty cowardly though. Like most of what he's done.
    I know.
    If he had ruled out a referendum, you would see it as cowardly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

time to start buying dollars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Just make the question a double negative, therefore voting no becomes a yes vote. Simples :-)

Any new eu referendum no matter what the subject matter is going to incur a resounding no vote at this stage. The majority of people won't know what they're voting against, they'll just vote no for the sake of voting no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Its not Kennys choice as to whether a referendum is held or not, its a constitutional matter which is above any elected politician or government. Either way he should use this to get us out of the stranglehold we are in, its a golden opportunity, lets hope he uses it.

Sad to say that in his Dail speech he fired the first bullsh1t salvo in what is going to be the usual pile of tosh from both sides. Looks like I'll have to get the treaty off the web and read it myself.
    “Ratification on this treaty will be another important step in the rebuilding of Ireland’s economy,” the Taoiseach said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

Amazing how people already know how they will be voting No despite not knowing the question.

I don't need to know the question. I will simply be voting the opposite way that the government wants me to.

As far as I'm concerned, the government is now my enemy. It is us and them.

Bambi wrote: »
    I would have presumed constitutional protocol would preclude the plank from jumping the gun like that. Although it wouldn't suprise me if he chanced his arm anyway, ze germans can be very persuasive. The interesting thing is that if he did sign us up and then the amendment was defeated by referendum I would expect Kenny to have to resign as taoiseach.

He would have to!

Signing up to something too early - then having to do a complete reversal in front of the whole of Europe (if the result is a "NO" vote), not just Ireland would be a MASSIVE humiliation for not just him but for the country additionally?

Ratifying it later or not, the fact that he's already signing us into the treaty this Friday, is like jumping on a bus and then later half way through the journey, then tell the driver(s) "Sorry, I now have to go back! I shouldn't have got on in the first place!"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

It's a bit like "you can pick any colour,but it has to be yellow".

Advertisement