Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Bear in mind, that BY the back cover coming off if dropped, some of the force of the phone hitting the ground is dissipated. By the phone being rigid, all of the force of the fall is absorbed by the phone which is surely worse for the phone in the long run?

Put simply, I'd be far more worried about an iphone 4 hitting the ground than my galaxy s, which i know for fact will survive, sesing as it has many of times :)

not even that, How many times a day could you possibly drop a phone with such impact that it falls to pieces and becomes an annoying issue. After paying 600 euro for a phone i can count on one hand the amount of times ive dropped my phone in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Bear in mind, that BY the back cover coming off if dropped, some of the force of the phone hitting the ground is dissipated. By the phone being rigid, all of the force of the fall is absorbed by the phone which is surely worse for the phone in the long run?

Put simply, I'd be far more worried about an iphone 4 hitting the ground than my galaxy s, which i know for fact will survive, sesing as it has many of times :)

Ha! yes I know I often think its like a crumple zone in a car :D

omega666 wrote: »
    not even that, How many times a day could you possibly drop a phone with such impact that it falls to pieces and becomes an annoying issue. After paying 600 euro for a phone i can count on one hand the amount of times ive dropped my phone in a year.

I have it what 2 years now ? For the first while it never got dropped.....but it is inevitable.....and once it gets a bit scratched you start to care less

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

This is actually true to an extent. Leaves me a tad worried about dropping the One X. Although it faired quite well in drop tests till the screen smashed. A good case should solve that and it's nowhere near as bad as the iphone tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

On the branding thing, here's what CPW customer service have to say. You wouldn't know what you'd be getting! I just don't want to wait a month for a software update while 3 drag their heels, and I'd prefer to avoid rooting for as long as possible.
    If you purchase a HTC One X on 3 from us, then itwill be network locked and come with all relevant 3 applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Trigg171 wrote: »
    This is actually true to an extent. Leaves me a tad worried about dropping the One X. Although it faired quite well in drop tests till the screen smashed. A good case should solve that and it's nowhere near as bad as the iphone tbh
    Yep, first time i handled an iphone 4, the first thing that came to my mind is how much you wouldn't want to drop it on a tiled floor!

dahamsta wrote: »
    On the branding thing, here's what CPW customer service have to say. You wouldn't know what you'd be getting! I just don't want to wait a month for a software update while 3 drag their heels, and I'd prefer to avoid rooting for as long as possible.

Yeah, I woudnt go in there out and out expecting to get an unlocked phone. But it stands to reason, especially when a phone is new, that there a better chance of it being sim free if got from cpw..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

allen175 wrote: »
    I bought mine out of CPW last week and its unbranded and unlocked. I think its easier for them to get in unlocked ones and then sell them on any network.

Inquired on way home. Told their phones are either network locked or "CPW" which means they can be put on any network. The One X is "CPW" so that's a big plus far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Whats the story with beats audio on the one s,i play music and it doesnt come on was listening to todayfm today via the app and the beats logo came up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I got my One X today - pretty happy with it and impressed in general - a load of really nice updates in the software from my sensation. I got mine from 02 but it's not branded. No Beats Audio headphones although I was not that pushed anyway I don't listen to music on my phone.

One thing that really bugs me is the USB Cable that comes with it is about 2 feet long, max. I often plug my phone in but want to use it at the same time, so I am going to have to crouch down to the floor now? Ridiculous. Usually they are at least twice that length.

Can anyone tell me what's recommeded about a first charge? I got it and it had about 25% battery. That died quickly so now I have to charge it as I want to play with it tonight. Are you supposed to give it a proper 12 hour charge or does it matter? I've had it plugged in to my blackberry charger and it's at 50% very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Zascar wrote: »
    One thing that really bugs me is the USB Cable that comes with it is about 2 feet long, max. I often plug my phone in but want to use it at the same time, so I am going to have to crouch down to the floor now? Ridiculous. Usually they are at least twice that length.
    Get a USB extension cable, they're fairly cheap. You may even have one lying around.
    Can anyone tell me what's recommeded about a first charge? I got it and it had about 25% battery. That died quickly so now I have to charge it as I want to play with it tonight. Are you supposed to give it a proper 12 hour charge or does it matter? I've had it plugged in to my blackberry charger and it's at 50% very quickly.
    I got about eight hours for the first charge (Probably because I couldn't stop messing with it). It gets better fairly quickly and as you've noticed charges surprisingly rapidly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

One for the Sensation users, particularly XE and clocked: How do ye find it compares in terms of speed? Is it noticeably snappier or more of an incremental improvement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

does anybody have the screen flex issue or with dust under the screen with the one X??

thinking about getting one just wondering how prevalent it is, also what colour is the one with o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I saw someone mention here that HTC were gonna release a software update that changed the 'multitasking/window' button into a settings button. If true, anyone have any idea when that'll arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ze4life

manu2009 wrote: »
    For anyone who has the one s, how are you finding it? If youve the black version have you noticed any chipping?

Thanks

i got the black one S from carphone warehouse, the paint was chipping off and had to get it exchanged 3 times for the same problem, in the end i gave up and got the one X instead, the size is a pain in the back once youv'e gotten used to the size of the S

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really want to get a new phone but all the new phones seem to have their own sets of problems so dont know what to do.

htc One S - paint chips, only 16gigs, not expandable, screen not the best
    htc One X - too big, too expensive, not expandable
    Samsung G III - too big, will be expensive, ugly design, not the amazing leap ahead in technology we were hoping for.

perhaps its just best to sit around for another 6 months and wait for the next wave of mid and high priced phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Gonzo wrote: »
    I really want to get a new phone but all the new phones seem to have their own sets of problems so dont know what to do.

htc One S - paint chips, only 16gigs, not expandable, screen not the best
    htc One X - too big, too expensive, not expandable
    Samsung G III - too big, will be expensive, ugly design, not the amazing leap ahead in technology we were hoping for.

perhaps its just best to sit around for another 6 months and wait for the next wave of mid and high priced phones.

Same boat really. Time to get me an S2. Great design, great phone and a better battery than the rivals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Id get an S2 if it comes down massively in price now that all the others are out, also i heard the upgrade to ICS on it is not the best?

basically what im looking for:
    ICS out of the box
    32gigs internal storage
    screen quality similar to S2 or htc one X
    screen size 4" - 4.3"max
    construction that does not chip, peel or anything else
    price point around 180 euro from meteor upgrading payg to bill pay...

right now the htc One S is the perfect price, perfect screen size, I'd even live with the internal memory but the reports of paint chipping and screen quality are very off-putting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Does anyone else an issue when watching video's on youtube? Pretty much any video i watch has a slight skipping sound every few seconds. Really annoying.

Also, how would i go about finding out if the phone is branded/locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Yeah got that skipping too I imagine its frames getting dropped, also first time playing around with it but that YouTube app is a piece of $hit for navigating.

never mind - I'm getting the feel for it now.

After much deliberation think I'm going to go for the One S. The X is just too big for my liking and do not like the look of the S III.

One thing to note with the One S, actual available storage is only 10gb, was pretty peeved when I discovered this an hour or so ago but I don't store music on my phone and guess I won't be either in future if I do go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

What are peoples opinions on the best custom ROM to use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

digiman wrote: »

On LeeDroid 5.0.0 and it's solid as a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

SkySter wrote: »
    digiman wrote: »

On LeeDroid 5.0.0 and it's solid as a rock.

On this one too. Was on Android Revolution but it was a little flakey.

LeeDroid related question, is there any way to get wifi and Bluetooth toggles on the notification pull down?

flugel wrote: »
    After much deliberation think I'm going to go for the One S. The X is just too big for my liking and do not like the look of the S III.

One thing to note with the One S, actual available storage is only 10gb, was pretty peeved when I discovered this an hour or so ago but I don't store music on my phone and guess I won't be either in future if I do go for it!

for music I think i'll stick to my ipod classic, the phone will be just for texts, calls, internet+gaming via wifi so the 10gb should be just enough once ye dont end up storing movies or music. For long journeys maybe put a few albums or movies on and then take them off when your finished with them.

As a matter of interest what is the storage of the X? I know it's 32gb but how much of that is actually available to the user to store stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

for music I think i'll stick to my ipod classic, the phone will be just for texts, calls, internet+gaming via wifi so the 10gb should be just enough once ye dont end up storing movies or music. For long journeys maybe put a few albums or movies on and then take them off when your finished with them.

As a matter of interest what is the storage of the X? I know it's 32gb but how much of that is actually available to the user to store stuff?
    25GB which is more than enough for me especially with the 25GB Dropbox allowance as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

Hi guys,

Just in case anyone might happen to be looking for a video demonstration of the HTC One X, the odd accessory and its various features, I'm linking a quick series of videos I put together.

PART ONE (General usage/camera/gaming with GTA III) http://youtu.be/d7fmOprA6rc HTC One X Review and testing apps (part 1) - YouTube

PART TWO (Case/gaming with Shadowgun) http://youtu.be/2jEfZYlfFpA HTC One X Review and testing apps (part 2) - YouTube

PART THREE (More app demonstrations/browser/netflix/gaming with Onlive) http://youtu.be/MLuBUE1kP_8 HTC One X Review and testing apps (part 3) - YouTube

I'm really impressed with the device. I had been waiting for the Galaxy SIII and couldn't help but wonder if I'd regret not holding out until its release... but after seeing the slightly underwhelming unveiling by Samsung today I'm delighted I decided to jump the gun and opt for the One X.

One thing I forgot to mention in my rubbishy reviews was battery life. I was expecting the worst here, but my expectations have been thoroughly exceeded. I'm a very heavy user, and have been getting a full days use before the battery goes anywhere near low. If I know I'm going to be away for some time I make sure to set the screen brightness to the lowest setting - helps me get two full days use and everything still looks sweet.

One thing I forgot to mention in my rubbishy reviews was battery life. I was expecting the worst here, but my expectations have been thoroughly exceeded. I'm a very heavy user, and have been getting a full days use before the battery goes anywhere near low. If I know I'm going to be away for some time I make sure to set the screen brightness to the lowest setting - helps me get two full days use and everything still looks sweet.

Out of interest did you let the battery run down on initial charge or charge it for 8 hours before turning it on first? I haven't a clue which way to go or even if it makes a difference!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I've had it just a couple of days and loving it so far. Very impressed with the battery life, and so so happy about it as I was dreading having another smartphone that eats the juice.

This is from yesterday morning to this morning. It's only the second charge it's had - so fingers crossed it will get even better. I would say it had very heavy usage - I have home all day playing with it all the time; loads of internet, apps and general tinkering. Also put on gps last night and forgot to turn it off. On my sensation if you used gps you could practically watch the battery %'s go down in front of your eyes.

battery2.pngbattery1.png

I'll see how it goes this week and report back again

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

flugel wrote: »
    Out of interest did you let the battery run down on initial charge or charge it for 8 hours before turning it on first? I haven't a clue which way to go or even if it makes a difference!

I didn't, I plugged it straight in! Never bothered letting it run down or waiting. I've always been suspect as to how much a difference that really makes. Is there much evidence to prove that it helps?

I've always been too excited and childish! Can't wait to rip the phone out and start using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Id get an S2 if it comes down massively in price now that all the others are out, also i heard the upgrade to ICS on it is not the best?

basically what im looking for:
    ICS out of the box
    32gigs internal storage
    screen quality similar to S2 or htc one X
    screen size 4" - 4.3"max
    construction that does not chip, peel or anything else
    price point around 180 euro from meteor upgrading payg to bill pay...

right now the htc One S is the perfect price, perfect screen size, I'd even live with the internal memory but the reports of paint chipping and screen quality are very off-putting.

Had the Xperia S with a HD screen and now have the One S and I think the screen is good, also with the paint chipping issue you can get a replacement from the retailer or send it off to Htc if your phone has it or just get the grey version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Still waiting on this 1.29 update...

Advertisement