Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm out of contract with my M7 shortly. Is the M8 the best next step? Is there much in the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Basil3 wrote: »
    Yeah, I rooted my M8 within hours of getting it :D

Have you flashed any of my stuff on the Venom Hub?

Not sure, what stuff have you put in the hub?

I'm out of contract with my M7 shortly. Is the M8 the best next step? Is there much in the difference?

At this stage of the game, I would hold out for the M9. Either that, or sell your M7, spend a little bit on a second hand M8, then sell that when the M9 rolls around in March....at least that's what I'd do :D
    Not sure, what stuff have you put in the hub?

Mainly full themes: ViperDark and ViperLight, as well as Clock mods, icon packs, all sorts of bits and pieces I've done. Username Basil3 on there as well.

If you are looking to upgrade now and not wait for the next round of phones in 2015, then the M8 would be a good choice. However, do take a look at the Note 4 as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

If you are looking to upgrade now and not wait for the next round of phones in 2015, then the M8 would be a good choice. However, do take a look at the Note 4 as well :)

An the OnePlusOne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I really don't get early adapters when it comes to mobile devices, but, some get reeeeally into it!

I'm happy once I have something that plays the latest games and runs just about any app I need. Sorted.

I see people who own one pretty new 'smart phone' drool over one about to launch and I have to say, it's a little amusing :D -wait a few months longer and you get the same thing cheaper because something better will surely have come along by then too!

I really don't get early adapters when it comes to mobile devices, but, some get reeeeally into it!

I'm happy once I have something that plays the latest games and runs just about any app I need. Sorted.

I see people who own one pretty new 'smart phone' drool over one about to launch and I have to say, it's a little amusing :D -wait a few months longer and you get the same thing cheaper because something better will surely have come along by then too!

I paid €550 for the M8 on release day.....how much cheaper is it now? :eek:

I don't know, I paid €119 for mine on billpay. I was using a €69 samsung phone prior to it, after my iphone 5 died. Just got the M8 because I was offered the upgrade, had to pay that much because I had decided I was dropping to the lowest billpay option, otherwise it would have been cheaper.

Just fancied trying an Android, after having iPhones for the past 4 years. So really, any of them would have been new to me ;)

It's not just with mobile devices, I see the same with photo gear, as a photographer - there is always the ones who 'have' to have the latest models, even order them well in advance of them being launched. 4 months later the same model will be on Amazon for a lesser price. Sometimes hundreds cheaper.

I don't know, I paid €119 for mine on billpay. I was using a €69 samsung phone prior to it, after my iphone 5 died. Just got the M8 because I was offered the upgrade, had to pay that much because I had decided I was dropping to the lowest billpay option, otherwise it would have been cheaper.

Just fancied trying an Android, after having iPhones for the past 4 years. So really, any of them would have been new to me ;)

It's not just with mobile devices, I see the same with photo gear, as a photographer - there is always the ones who 'have' to have the latest models, even order them well in advance of them being launched. 4 months later the same model will be on Amazon for a lesser price. Sometimes hundreds cheaper.

That's true with anything in life, but mobile phones really don't drop much in value until a new model of the same device is out. The Note 3 still sells for €550, and you can buy the Note 4 for €600. I know which one I'd be getting.

You also value your phones on an 'upgrade/contract price', which doesn't really mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

jut got a htc one m8 and cant get any apps through the play store. its been a day telling me "waiting for network" even though iv restarted the fone and had good speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

dbmauser wrote: »
    jut got a htc one m8 and cant get any apps through the play store. its been a day telling me "waiting for network" even though iv restarted the fone and had good speed

Try clearing cache of playstore. Its in Settings, Apps. Not sure if it will work but worth a shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

treied it but didnt work :( ill see what its like with better signal tomorow

dbmauser wrote: »

Check the date on your phone. If you haven't set it properly, it can cause this problem.

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's true with anything in life, but mobile phones really don't drop much in value until a new model of the same device is out. The Note 3 still sells for €550, and you can buy the Note 4 for €600. I know which one I'd be getting.

You also value your phones on an 'upgrade/contract price', which doesn't really mean anything.

I don't value them at that, I just said that's what I paid. I had no idea what the stand alone prices were tbh.

I paid €3400 for a camera 2 years ago, same model you can get now for about €2k

I'm not really bothered about that, but it does mean if I go to sell it on, I lose a tonne on it :/

I guess it's the same with high end phones.

They're only worth what you could possibly sell it for in the end. And early adapters get hit a lot more in that sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I don't value them at that, I just said that's what I paid. I had no idea what the stand alone prices were tbh.

I'm not really bothered about that, but it does mean if I go to sell it on, I lose a tonne on it :/

They're only worth what you could possibly sell it for in the end. And early adapters get hit a lot more in that sense.

I don't understand your issue with things getting cheaper, tbh. Yeah, your camera is worth a lot less now than it was when you bought it but you've had the use of it's features for two years now. Early adopters are fully aware that if they wait a while, the item they want will reduce in price but for them, getting access to the new features of the item earlier is worth the cost.

That's actually not true though. It's the late adopters that are hit harder. I purchased an M8 on release for €550. I will be able to sell it for €300-350 when the M9 comes out. If you waited 6 months for the M8, you'll still have to pay the same that I did (maybe very slightly less), and your resale will only be the same as mine....therefore you're hit harder.

Of course, if you're talking about buying a 2 year old phone second hand, that's a totally different story.

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I don't understand your issue with things getting cheaper, tbh. Yeah, your camera is worth a lot less now than it was when you bought it but you've had the use of it's features for two years now. Early adopters are fully aware that if they wait a while, the item they want will reduce in price but for them, getting access to the new features of the item earlier is worth the cost.

I don't understand your not understanding tbh ... did you get my earlier point at all? We're gone off the rails a bit. I just got the phone, it was put to me it's already old because it's out 18mths, which it's not for one ... that's where I put in the early adapter thing. People can do whatever they want with their own money, I just don't get the need to have the latest and dismiss all else before. Every thing else is tangent to that .... so, no, you didn't get what i was saying at all or only read the last few posts. The phone is new to me! SO I'm not too fussed what's next, not for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I don't understand your not understanding tbh ... did you get my earlier point at all? We're gone off the rails a bit. I just got the phone, it was put to me it's already old because it's out 18mths, which it's not for one ... that's where I put in the early adapter thing. People can do whatever they want with their own money, I just don't get the need to have the latest and dismiss all else before. Every thing else is tangent to that .... so, no, you didn't get what i was saying at all or only read the last few posts. The phone is new to me! SO I'm not too fussed what's next, not for a while yet.

I did read your post and I did get what you said. You were scoffing at people who are early adopters of phones in a thread and forum which is made up of a lot of early adopters of phones! People can indeed do what they want with their own money and if they choose to put it into the latest and greatest phone, that's their choice. You obviously choose to put your money into cameras and not phones, which is fine for you. I wouldn't be the type of person to buy an expensive camera but I wouldn't go to the photography forum and giggle at people who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Why don't you two bozos take this somewhere else. This is a thread about the HTC One not a place to troll you're troll opinions.

You both think you're right but there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinion.

So, how about this HTC One then? Mine is giving me jip, I am on custom roms and find aosp roms have desperate lag when unlocking the screen from sleep and sense roms are all bloated and laggy.

Of course this is my opinion and I would love to hear others.

nedd wrote: »
    Why don't you two bozos take this somewhere else. This is a thread about the HTC One not a place to troll you're troll opinions.

You both think you're right but there is no right or wrong when it comes to opinion.

So, how about this HTC One then? Mine is giving me jip, I am on custom roms and find aosp roms have desperate lag when unlocking the screen from sleep and sense roms are all bloated and laggy.

It's understandable that aosp ROMs have issues, think they always have a couple of minor tthingswrong with them.

Regarding sense based ROMs, they should always be nice and smooth. I ran viper the entire time I had my M7 and virtually the entire time I've had my M8 and have never had any issues. Have you had a full wipe recently? Is your firmware up to date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

I have my M7 converted to a Google Play Edition and not a bit of lag. Unlocks perfect, apps open without a stutter and switching between tasks is as quick as day one. Plus will get the Lollipop update as quick as a Nexus.

I've no need to upgrade at the moment, although with all the shiny new phones out there at the moment would love to!

beardo81 wrote: »
    I have my M7 converted to a Google Play Edition and not a bit of lag. Unlocks perfect, apps open without a stutter and switching between tasks is as quick as day one. Plus will get the Lollipop update as quick as a Nexus.

I've no need to upgrade at the moment, although with all the shiny new phones out there at the moment would love to!

Maybe I should try play edition again, haven't tried one in ages. With any aosp or cyanogen based rom there is a delay of a second or two unlocking the screen. Gets frustrating.

I have an M7 by the way.

Maybe I should try play edition again, haven't tried one in ages. With any aosp or cyanogen based rom there is a delay of a second or two unlocking the screen. Gets frustrating.

I have an M7 by the way.

M7 here too. Hard to fault GPE, maybe it gets a little boring at times and miss some tweaks of other ROMs. But its rock solid, fast, lag free and with decent battery life and that's what I want at the moment. Easy to install another launcher if required too (I just use Google Now launcher as standard)

M7 here too. Hard to fault GPE, maybe it gets a little boring at times and miss some tweaks of other ROMs. But its rock solid, fast, lag free and with decent battery life and that's what I want at the moment. Easy to install another launcher if required too (I just use Google Now launcher as standard)

The last time I was on GPE I found it a little boring alright. But I have been using more and more Xposed apps to get functionality, XHALO and others.

At this point I want fast and stable, but with the option to add.

I will give a GPE rom a whirl and see how it goes.

The last time I was on GPE I found it a little boring alright. But I have been using more and more Xposed apps to get functionality, XHALO and others.

At this point I want fast and stable, but with the option to add.

I will give a GPE rom a whirl and see how it goes.

I'm going to stick with it for a few weeks after the official Lollipop drops and give it a good go. Should be in the next week or two, looking forward to it

I'm going to stick with it for a few weeks after the official Lollipop drops and give it a good go. Should be in the next week or two, looking forward to it

in my experience the Nexus phones will get Lollipop at launch but HTC won't have it for weeks/months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Any good suggestions of a GPE ROM? Currently using an AOSP ROM (Paranoid Android) and it's a little buggy..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

dulpit wrote: »
    Any good suggestions of a GPE ROM? Currently using an AOSP ROM (Paranoid Android) and it's a little buggy..

I've used this in the past its a full conversion though. will be flashing it tomorrow in preparation for Lollipop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

beno619 wrote: »
    I've used this in the past its a full conversion though. will be flashing it tomorrow in preparation for Lollipop though.

Need s-off for that though, which for some reason has proven impossible for me to do. Will happily follow instructions on how to do this if anyone is willing to assist?

I'm on HBOOT 1.56 if that matters...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

This might sound like an awful noob thing to ask, but here goes.

I've had my M7 since last year. She's recently getting laggy and whatnot.

Should I do a factory reset, to get rid of all the app, update, app, update, app bloat? Would I gain much back? I mean, is there a lot of unused, unneeded crap from apps that have been since updated a billion times?

Advertisement