Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying advertisement?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

Any of the adds that say have a happy period.
    Uggghhh had to have been written by a man :eek: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Anyone heard that annoying IKEA one with Uncle Ralph and the food fight?

I makes me want to cut my ears off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Or the freaky sounding kid in the Ikea party-proof kitchens radio ad. Or the kid who sounds like the "red rum" lad in The Shining ("Mommy... I need a durrink").

Those 48 ads.

Nope, in college in Ireland, you WON'T look like a bunch of European models in their 20s/early 30s - and sex WON'T be that seamless and grown-up. Plus, you won't be having parties in lavish apartments. Because you're 18 and a kid and unlikely to be that rich.

A bunch of far less polished younglings drinking cheap cans in a grotty shared house, and brief hints of awkward fumbly sex... THAT'S college party life in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Those wow-cher women can really get on your wick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

Those bloody kildare village ads, which I think are supposed to be based on Sex and the City. Makes the place sound dated and a relic of the celtic tiger.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I hate the ones that are anti-men. There are loads of those on British telly at the moment. They usually show (always white, never black) men as being gormless, dim, a bit weird and a bit of a nuisance to their woman.

One that springs to mind is an advert from a furniture store (I can't remember its name) and it shows a middle-aged (white) man with his wife in the store kneeling down at the side of a wooden table. He knocks on the table as though testing its strength and then swivels his eyes from side to in a disturbing way. His wife just looks at him and tuts. He then goes to another table with a vase and a few other objects on it and starts knocking on that and he almost knocks the vase over. He grabs it just before it falls over and then look sorrowful in a childish way, before holding his hand out for his wife who grabs it and leads him away as though he was a naughty kid.

And I won't even go into the Boots adverts.

It just seems quite disturbing the amount of anti-(white)men adverts there are on British TV which portray them as gormless and dim.

And then you get the annoying "girls just wanna have fun" type adverts, such as the Harveys furniture store one in which two annoying girls are bouncing on sofas and sliding across a table.

I also used to detest the Sheilas' Wheels adverts, adverts about a women-only car insurance company (you wouldn't get away with a men-only one) which tried to tell us that women got cheaper car insurance than men because women were better drivers yet the dopey women in the advert used to sing the Sheilas' Wheel song whilst in the car and, whilst doing so, the woman driving the car never had her eyes on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

The "We buy any car" ad makes me want to take my own life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Those discover Northern Ireland ads before youtube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Those discover Northern Ireland ads before youtube videos.

The bane of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Say hello to liberty insurance. Say hello to .... F**K off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

LLU wrote: »
    Those bloody kildare village ads, which I think are supposed to be based on Sex and the City. Makes the place sound dated and a relic of the celtic tiger.

to be fair that's just complying with the whole advertising standards thing because that's what it is ... I live 5 minutes from it

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ElishaR86

Worst ads are those santander ones. Thay are so annoying. "You smile, you save, you shower, you save, you sh*t, you save, you have sex, you save....." something along those lines. Seriously just shut up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

ElishaR86 wrote: »
    Worst ads are those santander ones. Thay are so annoying. "You smile, you save, you shower, you save, you sh*t, you save, you have sex, you save....." something along those lines. Seriously just shut up.

You Save

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I find the current 123.ie ads a bit annoying.. 'meet francis he's just football mad, and ellen 'hi ellen' she and her wife love the cinema and tim here he is does the DIY and they're all covered by 123.ie' bit like the old eircom ads with yer wan who spills the pissin wine everywhere.. Didnt like them either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The current ad for Galaxy chocolate annoys me no end for a couple of reasons - enough for me to find and resurrect this thread. Firstly, because it uses the usual slow, lingering camera shots and throaty voiceover to try to make chocolate sexy to the female audience. The subtext is "you don't want a man, you want chocolate". I went looking for a video of the ad, and could only find an edited version made by someone who picked up on this too:

Secondly: that model in the ad is not representative of the target audience. At least, I hope it's not. Your average chocolate-eating woman does not look like that, she looks like a woman who eats chocolate: a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips, and there's nothing wrong with that.

No, that model doesn't eat chocolate - at least, not for long. If she accidentally swallowed any during the shoot, she was in the toilets with a finger down her throat ten seconds after the director shouted "Cut!" Look at that drawn skin and those bulging eyes that the makeup can't hide: she's a bona fide anorexic, which is why I got the annoying feeling that the ad was aimed at the teenage binge-and-purge audience, rather than healthy chocolate lovers. :mad: (Not that there's much actual chocolate in one of those bars, anyway!)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

there seems to be a resurrection of that stupid Kerrygold ad with the Irish gormless son taking a sod of earth home to Germany so the child's feet will touch Irish soil first.
    I hate this ad for so many reasons, stupid overdone example of Irish male, not talking, practically walking with knuckles dragging floor. HTF does hot German babymomma prevent herself from kicking or at the very least dumping his ass. Also in our current fiscal conditions, i reckons the Germans would piss themselves watching this. In reality it's more like he taking back to germany what it already owns. (I hate being reminded of our curent issues.)

And FFS where did they get that stupid looking shamrock tin:mad:

I want this ad banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Shybookwormy

Admittedly I love the first compare the market.com advert- I thought it was cute- but somewhere along the line (I don't know maybe after they rehashed the same advert for the fifth or sixth time!!!) it just got annoying.

That whole "simples" thing is no longer cute. Now it just seems as though they're trying to hard....
    I also cant stand this particular ad

... I have no further comments

That ad for the new google circles thing is really annoying me.
    I hate it when companies use overly sentimental ads with newborn babies, families,grandparents etc to sell their product.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That poxy Sony Xperia ad...

'As imagined by Jack Ryan, aged 8'

Some whiney sounding little pre-pubescent prick going on about little robots running riot inside a phone. I hate him and his visions. He's not even fully convinced of his own scenario.

''Hmmm maybe there's 3 little robots... tiny, tiny little robots. There job is to make the phone work...''

Yeah?!?! Well maybe there's not you little smug sh1t!!!

Is that Laura Woods in the bottom right corner of boards?
    She's wearing a t-shirt with a big stab wound on it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

LLU wrote: »

All Top Labels, up to 70% reduced, Fabulous :mad::mad::mad:
    Appeals to the jet set that tried to justify the cost of their New York shopping trips with the savings they made on clothes.
    Ah the memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Kate Winslet about to cry over the decline of video shops. We already have an online video 'shop' Kate. And it costs less than Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Have I just imagined a road safety ad using the phrase "a wheelchair is not just for the weekend...its for life."? I really hope so.

Anything badly dubbed. Why are Kinder Bueno ads always like this? It makes me want to tear my own head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

eurocycle eurobaby ads! *shivers* and 48 ads they take the piss! "I get on well with her kids" ffs the second you turn eighteen sh*t doesn't just happen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Omackeral wrote: »
    That poxy Sony Xperia ad...

'As imagined by Jack Ryan, aged 8'

Some whiney sounding little pre-pubescent prick going on about little robots running riot inside a phone. I hate him and his visions. He's not even fully convinced of his own scenario.

''Hmmm maybe there's 3 little robots... tiny, tiny little robots. There job is to make the phone work...''

Yeah?!?! Well maybe there's not you little smug sh1t!!!

completely agree when I was eight I knew that little robots didn't make a phone work, he should get check for some serious RETARDATION!... also I HATE the womens sanitary product ads FFS if you need them you'll go into a shop and buy them you don't have to be reminded at home its disgusting, they can be aired at anytime yet the goverment wants to stop advertising cheese strings!? WTF

Rant OVER.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

That Muller Yoghurt ad, where the girls go to a festival and have some guy put a trail of self-help books across a muddy field for them to step on. I think it's actually the music that I hate, which is common to many Muller ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

That Muller Yoghurt ad, where the girls go to a festival and have some guy put a trail of self-help books across a muddy field for them to step on. I think it's actually the music that I hate, which is common to many Muller ads.

Yes, that is so lame. I cringe watching it.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

That Eircom broadband ad with the parents arguing with their children annoys me. I'd be disgusted if they were my kids; the goonish young fella getting grinds Feeky Magee style, the brat of a young girl ''bunking into a festival'' and the older young one unknowingly talking to some pervert online. Never fails to make me sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Dr conrad murray

Apache pizza happy days, radio adverts drive me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Most M&S ads really irritate me for some reason. There's just something so 'smug', or a better word I can't think of, about them. The latest one with Gary Barlow below,

Advertisement