Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's out there.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Any body have an info on this ship currently of the west coast ? Cant find any pictures of it and never seen a ship on marinetraffic so far of the coast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good find, very strange specs come up when you google it. No idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

300m long, 41m wide, registered in panema, a rescue vessel, had air traffic on and off...............hmmmm..........

CIA interrogation centre?................:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Now SAR 973611045 doing 81 knots in front of it!

• Advertisement

Think the 611 in that SAR 973611045 is a national indicator for Botswana?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

Its a rescue tug i guess,somebody must be in trouble,the SAR is a helicopter,so I guess it could be an rescue operation.Dont know what the forecast is at the moment,but could be somebody who has been drifting around for a while,after the bad weather that was during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Thats very strange, 300 metres long but weighs 120 ton?! its says it was built in 2008 but the ship yard has no mention of it on their website, and fleetmon has the lenght at 37m and beam 6m which would make sense i suppose for a tug or search and rescue vessel!

Must be fairly big as it has at least two helicopters so it seems. Have seen both SAR 973611045 and SAR 839393317 around her in the last day. She is due in Bezons Beach on New Year's Day 2014, is that in Paris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Must be fairly big as it has at least two helicopters so it seems. Have seen both SAR 973611045 and SAR 839393317 around her in the last day. She is due in Bezons Beach on New Year's Day 2014, is that in Paris?

Yes in Paris,she could be towing a vessel for Paris,that would probably Take 4-6 weeks,weather permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Very interesting. Maybe they finally found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Lyubov_Orlova) and are bringing it back?

There was a helicopter a few hundred miles away from the ship earlier today over greenland i assume that belonged to the ship although surely only a military vessel would have 2 helicopters on board:confused:
    It going to ram Greenland at 21.6 knts if it dosent turn soon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

bladebrew wrote: »
    There was a helicopter a few hundred miles away from the ship earlier today over greenland i assume that belonged to the ship although surely only a military vessel would have 2 helicopters on board:confused:
    It going to ram Greenland at 21.6 knts if it dosent turn soon:)

New Russian super icebreaker???

281734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

yamato_zps31c7e61b.jpg

Another thing that is strange about this is that it has been at the constant speed of 21.6 knots for days?:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I see the name is now coming up as Al Wosail Rl. Which seems to be a "converted" tug http://maritime-connector.com/ship/al-wosail-7529407/

The IMO number is the interesting point. http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/9440459/vessel:GBO_AIS_KING

I don't see how this little fella could have a helideck. I wonder who else is out there with him (or who he really is)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

maybe he's tugging a naval vessel????

It (mystery tug) is still powering its way through Greenland i see:) I have never seen marine traffic showing something like this, i could only assume now it is a glitch of some sort:confused:
    It is showing as GBO AIS KING but when you click it for detail it then says AL WOSAIL RL,

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Is somebody transmitting a false AIS signal ?

In theory all someone with some decent programming skills needs to do is compile and submit a false feed to marine traffic, add a bit more trickery and skill they could modulate the feed to change the co ordinates continually to make it look like a vessel continuing on a defined course at a set speed. The person need not even be broadcasting a VHF signal.

If you click on the target , the receiving station 116 does not match the station which is recording all the other vessels in the area. Incidentally station 116 does not have a statistics page as do other stations.

EDIT : Found this on-line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

This came up earlier in the year when another anti-virus company (Sophos I think) "discovered" that you could anonymously create AIS broadcasts spoofing information. They made a big hoohaa about it at the time and then stood down when it was pointed out that this was the way the protocol was designed. It's like saying "I can come on the radio and say I'm the king of America" and that this is a huge security breach.

It's a weakness for sure, where someone relies on AIS, but the scope for abuse is relatively limited. If you want to hide you can turn off your AIS. There ends the risk - you can pretend to be somewhere else by posting spoofed AIS info, but if someone is searching for you then you will probably find that turning it off works even better. Or leaving it on quay.

z

• Advertisement

zagmund wrote: »
    This came up earlier in the year when another anti-virus company (Sophos I think) "discovered" that you could anonymously create AIS broadcasts spoofing information. They made a big hoohaa about it at the time and then stood down when it was pointed out that this was the way the protocol was designed. It's like saying "I can come on the radio and say I'm the king of America" and that this is a huge security breach.

It's a weakness for sure, where someone relies on AIS, but the scope for abuse is relatively limited. If you want to hide you can turn off your AIS. There ends the risk - you can pretend to be somewhere else by posting spoofed AIS info, but if someone is searching for you then you will probably find that turning it off works even better. Or leaving it on quay.

z

So, presumably, the two helicopters that were around it the other day would also be spoofs? There were no pictures with either of them either. I suppose they could of been out looking for it if no communications could be made though.

Drilling Rig "Blackford Dolphin" 50nm S of Hook Head on her way to Belfast

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/8611221/vessel:THAMESTEEL_1 I understand another deck cargo delivery to Dun Laoghaire (maybe more for Guinness?)

I See another fake transmission /vessel "Fake Walrus Fake" has popped up west of the Channel Islands it was there again on Sunday night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Coming up onto the SPM in Bantry Bay now(10 45)She is light

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Looking at the galway fisher tanker on marine traffic it seems to have taking a bit of a detour before returning to its normal track towards whitegate,anybody know why?

Anchored up due to bad weather or for running repairs most likely.

• Advertisement

Advertisement