Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's out there.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

tricky D wrote: »
    Half my satellite dish somewhere in the Irish Sea. /justsayin

What is this in reference to? Newmug not get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Twas a very, very, very windy night, storm force iirc and my satellite dish done got broken. The Irish Sea is just comic licence. The cable doesn't quite stretch that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

tricky D wrote: »
    Twas a very, very, very windy night, storm force iirc and my satellite dish done got broken. The Irish Sea is just comic licence. The cable doesn't quite stretch that far.

Talking of the sea, my internet was put on the blink by the sea! It's radio broadband, and has to cross the sea between the station and this house. Strangest thing I've ever heard. Engineer said it's worse when the sea is calm, so during the storms in early 14 the broadband was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

showphoto.aspx?photoid=529631

Off Dunmore East atm.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Unusual to see an American ensign on this side of the Atlantic, the Ocean Victory research ship is on its way into Dublin Port

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:357705/mmsi:303327000/imo:7121140/vessel:OCEAN_VICTORY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Unusual to see an American ensign on this side of the Atlantic, the Ocean Victory research ship is on its way into Dublin Port

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:357705/mmsi:303327000/imo:7121140/vessel:OCEAN_VICTORY

OH MY GOD... IT'S AIS TYPE IS MILITARY OPS!!! QUICK!! Call out the crusties!!!

Protest at this warship invading irish territorial waters..

There really needs to be a sarcasm font

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭NicoleW85

I went in to Killybegs this morning to see MV Oriana moored nicely at the harbour, totally gleaming and dwarfing everything in sight! Beautiful liner with 1822 pax & 800 crew on board; population of Killybegs approx 1750 :D
    Needless to say, about half of them were loaded on to buses and taken off for a bit of sightseeing! A great boost for the north west :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    I went in to Killybegs this morning to see MV Oriana moored nicely at the harbour, totally gleaming and dwarfing everything in sight! Beautiful liner with 1822 pax & 800 crew on board; population of Killybegs approx 1750 :D
    Needless to say, about half of them were loaded on to buses and taken off for a bit of sightseeing! A great boost for the north west :)
    And no pictures??? :eek: :D

I got 3 on my iPhone but can't post from said phone. I don't think I can post pics on the app, I'll give it a go :D

NicoleW85 wrote: »
    I got 3 on my iPhone but can't post from said phone. I don't think I can post pics on the app, I'll give it a go :D
    Ah you're grand, I'm only slagging!

But a lovely boat in a lovely setting is always worth sharing :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I see the Pacific Egret has passed peacefully down the Irish Sea http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:195761/mmsi:235076846/imo:9464871/vessel:PACIFIC_EGRET

They do one trip, UK to Japan for nuclear waste reprocessing. The loading and discharge ports (small) are shut when they are alongside and they only do a couple of trips a year. Apparently quite a good gig working on them. Lots of obvious jokes about glowing at night though.

I heard one story about one of their ships coming out of the Panama Canal and heading east for home when a Venezuelan naval ship intercepted them and told them to stop and prepare to be boarded for inspection. While the mate on the bridge is fending off the Venezuelans on the radio, the old man is on the phone to the Ministry of Defence in Britain, as per protocol. Just as the Venezuelans are getting close and getting ready to launch a crew, a trident submarine surfaces nearby. The Venezuelans leg-it pretty sharpish and the sub disappears into the deep again.

Probably a BS story, but a great tale nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

Convenient for a Trident to be close by when needed. Not inconceivable that the Pacific Egret is shadowed on its travels with or without the crew's knowledge. Or perhaps they have been experimenting with some trans warp drive technology to get navy assets where they need them in minutes.

Speaking of which, I received the following alerts from Marinetraffic.com this morning in quick succession:

LE ROISIN arrived at
    port DONEGAL
    at 2015-07-10 10:48 UTC

LE ROISIN arrived at
    port CORK
    at 2015-07-10 11:11 UTC

The engineers in Haulbowline have upped their game!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

xper wrote: »
    The engineers in Haulbowline have upped their game!

Hiding their brilliance all along, I knew the Irish navy should be known for more than just "cycling home for their dinner..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

I've been playing around with the Marine Traffic app. I see LE Niamh and LE Eithne rendezvoused briefly east of Gibraltar this afternoon as one relieved the other. Two ships in the Med at the same time a first for the Naval Service? I reckon they could have taken the rock! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

xper wrote: »
    I've been playing around with the Marine Traffic app. I see LE Niamh and LE Eithne rendezvoused briefly east of Gibraltar this afternoon as one relieved the other. Two ships in the Med at the same time a first for the Naval Service? I reckon they could have taken the rock! :P

Look up Irish Naval Sevrvice on FB. They have a few pics of it.

So the 2nd P&O cruise in the space of 1 month is due in to Killybegs at 07:30 tomorrow. Last month it was Oriana, the largest in the fleet and tomorrow it's Adonia; the smallest. Looking forward to taking a drive out in the morning to have a nosy! Oriana has been around the Canary Islands this week - well for some eh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Siem Topaz approaching Cork, headed for Ringaskiddy berth. Fine offshore vessel, anyone know what she's doing here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Tabnabs wrote: »
    She's here for this

Cool, yeah I can see the Ocean Guardian rig coming across by West Cork and Kerry now on AIS

The mighty Thor has arrived into Dublin port. I could see the luminescent tips of the legs from the Blackrock Road this morning!

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:152417/mmsi:218389000/imo:9577147/vessel:THOR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Ha, I saw those legs last night and thought to myself that they were might big piles that had been driven for some construction work down the docks somewhere. I was wondering about the size of the driver they must have used for something that size.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

LE Orla off Howth. Some one probably been naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Damnit, it's starting. Sound the alarm. Someone call the Americans. No, wait, they're coming too. Call the Germans. And the Russians, just in case.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was delivering a boat over to Cardiff last Sunday and this was lying off Greystones.

20150927_110146.jpg

20150927_110430.jpg

20150927_110335.jpg

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:415866/mmsi:355051000/vessel:EMDEN

Anyone else having trouble getting marinetraffic.com to work this morning?

The live map won't load for me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble getting marinetraffic.com to work this morning?

The live map won't load for me.....

Yes having the same problem since yesterday, thought first it was Google Maps that had crashed but I tried restarts and through different browsers, same problem. The Marine Traffic App on my phone is working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Worked ok for me all day, i'm in Cork don't know if that made a difference. It can be moody some days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

LNG Carrier Al Oraiq, involved in a collision last week with Flinter Star in the North Sea, currently in the Celtic Sea en route to Belfast.

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:712413/mmsi:538003072/imo:9360790/vessel:AL_ORAIQ/_:6c502d7437cfb038066a0af13ce480ee

Advertisement