Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triax TSC114 - anyone got their hands on one yet?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've just noticed that the 114 does have an IR Input at the rear, which I guess is for the TriLink without having to have a seperate IR eye in front of it.
    The TSC114 features an IR input for use with the Triax Tri-Link (not included).

It is a pity, at the price they didn't stick a modulator in, with IR support like a Sky box, or maybe doing so would conflict with some sort of Sky patent or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

steveon wrote: »
    I wouldnt award it a 10/10 should have been incororated into the box to justify the huge cost....although I do use the Tri-Link regulary but main flaw is extra scarts needed to make it work so again wouldnt give it a 10...

for what it is at the price its an excellent piece of kit, I have digital and analogue terrestrial, 2x cctv cameras, sky reciever, DVDplayer,and motorised reciever, distributed and controlled on 4 TV's around the house via the TRIAX TRI-LINK.

the Scarts can be looped thru each receiver,

Reading the ISAA review I agree with the 10/10,

but if you could provide a link to a product that gives the agilty of the tri-link at the same price I would be very interested to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I agree the TRI-link is an excellent product, I for one have been recommending it here for months but to give somethink 10/10 means its perfect which it isnt. As I said it could easily be incorporated straight into the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Does a better box get 11/10 :D

shblob wrote: »
    It wouldve been brilliant if it had a tri link built in

Totally agree....tri-links are great but better when hidden away..but hopefully now triax are pushing them more they might drop a lil in price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Got my TSC114, a couple of quick observations:

It can pause & rewind (was previously reported that it was pause or rewind), not sure if I'm on different firmware (settings at TS/Auto/Buffer).

Its volume control works over HDMI ... looks like it is of the digital variety as it sounds best at MAX! This is quite handy if you've got an old school amp with no remote.

A few usability issues with the UI:

if you're in media you have to press media again to get out of that menu (not mentioned on the UI), exit doesn't work - not exactly intuitive. You have to explicitly exit out of the EPG via EPG or Exit .. selecting a channel doesn't do this as this function is also used to populate now/next listings.

It is possible to stick the box in a mode that the TV doesn't support (e.g. 1080p50) and get stuck there (if you don't have a scart lead at the ready) - retailers are going to love that. I did this purely for *cough* testing reasons *cough*

Having to select a sat channel to get the now/next for that transponder group is annoying - I'd give up 10s in boot time to get immediate now/next for say the first 20 channels.

I'd also have to say that my good old Thomson Sky HD STB at this point in time seems to have better PQ/SQ than any FTA box I've seen so far, including this box (although haven't spent a huge time "calibrating" this one yet - so I'll reserve final judgement).

Overall I'd say this a promising STB - a few tweaks here and there and it might just be great.

Anyone got a decent channel list done up they can send me?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Anyone got a decent channel list done up they can send me?

can't give you the link as it might be construed as 'commercial activity' :( but if you go our site to the tsc114 page, under the downloads tab, there is the channel list file, download, unzip & copy to memory stick. Look at the video guides to see how to load it onto your combo receiver. Quick and simple process. Once done, just scan in the Irish channels and they will automatically go in position 1-8 with the BBCs etc starting at position 9. Easy peasy.

can't give you the link as it might be construed as 'commercial activity' :( but if you go our site to the tcs114 page, under the downloads tab, there is the channel list file, download, unzip & copy to memory stick. Look at the video guides to see how to load it onto your combo receiver. Quick and simple process. Once done, just scan in the Irish channels and they will automatically go in position 1-8 with the BBCs etc starting at position 9. Easy peasy.

Thank you kindly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Dave if you put the file up on mediafire or similar you can link directly to it here.

can't give you the link as it might be construed as 'commercial activity' :(

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

-snip at user request

Scroll down the page, see regular download in bottom right. Click on that, wait for the timer to run down and then enter the displayed verification code. Download as normal and then unzip, copy to USB stick and follow the instuctions in the video on the TV Trade site if unsure of how to do it. Bob's your uncle!

Small Print
    BE AWARE - This was uploaded 7/3/12. If the firmware changes on boxes after this point or other channels get added/moved or deleted, DO NOT USE this software. At best you could lose some channels, at worst, you may brick your box.

The reason, we don't do this normally is that what you could end up with a pile of different revisions out there that people end up putting on the incorrect version of a box and bricking it. Don't expect to be too many if any firmware updates for the TSC114, not in the near to medium term anyway.

Your welcome

Tony wrote: »
    Your welcome

Kudos for now:) Come back to me when someone bricks their box with the wrong s/w:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So i am reading on here. Lots of people asking me around town about soarview and getting boxes. Now my area of mayo, lots of people have the 4 main UK channels via the deflector at Balla, along with the 3 Irish channels from Castlebar & TV3 from Truskmore. Now Ive explained to them that if they get a cheap Soarview box, it will get them the 6 or so Irish channels but they will loose the UK channels. Ive explained about a combo box and told them that needs a dish to receive the UK channels which a lot of them now understand (Lots of my friends/acquaintances are farmers with not much tech knowledge!) So my question is to all of you (Tony, Steveon etc)

At the present time what is the best Combo box out there that does the job. Now taking in mind price and reliability and ease of use. I'm still swaying towards the Ariva 120, mainly because of price.

These new Triax boxes seem too pricey by the time you've added a dish a quad and possibly a 2nd box to go in another room. People just want to have their channels at a decent price on as many TV's as possible.

Well i'm biased towards the 120 as I sell them , I think it better if someone can give an unbiased opinion on your question who is not a retailer.
    snaps wrote: »
    So my question is to all of you (Tony, Steveon etc)

At the present time what is the best Combo box out there that does the job. Now taking in mind price and reliability and ease of use. I'm still swaying towards the Ariva 120, mainly because of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

€90 buys you a combo ariva 120 box with 7 day epg on dtt and now/next on satellite, with pay tv card reader. (works nicely with MTVs five channels for example at €2.37 per month) No MHEG5 for new teletext.

€190 buys you triax combo with 7 day epg on dtt, now/next on satellite. No options for pay tv. Has MHEG5 for new teletext.

If your friends want and use MHEG5 and are willing to pay €100 for it the triax is your man. Otherwise i'd choose the ferguson every time.

thanks guys. Are some of the problems with the ariva just firmware based? Ive read about ash coming on the front.

thanks guys. Are some of the problems with the ariva just firmware based? Ive read about ash coming on the front.

The ASH fault is an eeprom fault usually caused by incorrect firmware loading and there was also a bad memory batch installed in December which gave the same error.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

The first SAORSAT Approved Set-Top-Boxes is currently available for around €180. This, Triax TSC114 model, is a combination Set-Top-Box which is also SAORVIEW Approved. It can be used with SAORSAT, SAORVIEW and a combination of either SAORSAT or SAORVIEW with UK, or other, Free-To-Air satellite services

See page 19 here
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/10144/195843.pdf

Has anyone connected the Triax TSC114 to a Saorsat LNB and if so does it give the 7 day guide etc as expected?

Similar specification and more basic SAORSAT Approved Set-Top-Boxes are expected into the market in the near future.

I assume this is referring to the powercity Walker Sat only box which is not approved yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Razr3D

Ok for a second stb, which of these 3 should I go for?
    or should I wait for a more stable MHEG 5?
    Smart CX61 Combo Receiver €109
    ariva 120 combo? €98
    Triax ST HD 537 €145
    As it is a second stb, I want MHEG5 but the Triax ST HD 537 is at the max I would pay for one.
    Is it stable enough or should I hold off for a bit to see what else comes out?
    Anyone know what else is due out soon? thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Razr3D wrote: »
    ariva 120 combo? €98
    Triax ST HD 537 €145
    As it is a second stb, I want MHEG5 but the Triax ST HD 537 is at the max I would pay for one.
    Anyone know what else is due out soon? thanks :)
    I'll be sticking my TSC114 on adverts shortly as Sky detox isn't going very well. Edit- it might just sneak in on budget!

ariva 120 combo? €98

The 120 can be bought for less than 98 in Ireland and even slightly cheaper if you buy from Poland.

Sorry for OT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Tony wrote: »
    The 120 can be bought for less than 98 in Ireland and even slightly cheaper if you buy from Poland.

Sorry for OT
    Yeah but its crap. I'd go for the Smart out of those listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Triax ST HD 537 €145
    Anyone know what else is due out soon? thanks

Smart CX61 - not widely used within Ireland = no support. It has no extended program information for Saorview. No information on what the program is or what thefilm is about for example. Other issues too.

Ariva 120 combo - Cheapest, most sold, and supported combo box at present.

Triax ST537 - Not to be touched with a bargepole. Hardware and Software issues. Too dear, possibly discontinued. Has been replaced by an even more expensive Triax combo box in the TSC114 which is certified.

Dont believe every response you receive here. A few Dennis the Menaces around if you know what i mean.

Yes i notice on tvtrades website that there are high returns on the Ariva combo? Whats that due to?

Totally agree STB why would any1 choose a box that has no MHEG5, you cannot be guaranteed into the near future they will continue to work properly and the smart box is the same as the XORO 9000 series which I have seen a few given problems.

For me I will only be using combos that are approved and give full Mheg5 functions, as I guarantee come August this board will fill up with people given out they have no teletex functions

shblob wrote: »
    Yeah but its crap. I'd go for the Smart out of those listed.

Not really a good decision since its no longer in production :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yes i notice on tvtrades website that there are high returns on the Ariva combo? Whats that due to?
    bad build quality most likely

Eeprom as I mentioned above

• Advertisement

Only time ive seen ferguson combos fail is when people try and flash them with the wrong firmware trying to do illegal acts... otherwise i havent had a problem with them

Advertisement