Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

The video doesn't show if the man was wearing pyjamas or not.. This may have been the reason the Gardai reacted as they did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

micropig wrote: »
    The video doesn't show if the man was wearing pyjamas or not.. This may have been the reason the Gardai reacted as they did
    Very good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

To everyone who has said that he should have opened the door - why?

Firstly, they could clearly hear him as they responded to him and him to them.

Secondly and more importantly: they kept motioning to him to move his car to the side of the road and so no doubt he was ready to do so once they got out of his way.

Smashing in his window was done just because they could.

A clear case of bully-boy tactics and misuse of power.

Not the first and I dare say won't be the last either.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

micropig wrote: »

His accent wasent Chineese ????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Saw the same thing at a checkpoint in rwanda involving local militants/police force man should have opened the door but smashing a window is the attitude of a thug in uniform.

The guy wanted them to do it. It has been proven that this guy likes to give out about police "violence". He is the only thug in that video. Although, to use thug is an insult to genuine thugs... Idiot might be more apt.
    Gophur wrote: »
    We have "Police" in Mayo? When was it ceded to the UK?

Have a look at http://www.garda.ie/. They are our police service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

cursai wrote: »
    Hmmm.....only two more classes left then your off for the weekend. Waheey!!!:)

I'm afraid 0 out of 10 for you, university finished 10 years ago and in full employment for a private company, also in total support of the shell project in Mayo.

Gardai are there to serve the people, not to break the law which he did by breaking the window of this assholes car, he may come up with some bull**** about thinking he had a weapon but truth is he just lost his temper.

Gardai should operate under a strict set of rules, they should limit discretion thinking to a minimum, as unfortunately most recruits to the Gardai are not the most enlightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

His accent wasent Chineese ????

Maybe the driver was a deliverly driver and the food he was about to deliver was cold:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

There is no excuse for someone not co-operating. They should do what the guards want instantly. Why should the guards waste their time? They are not co-operating. Do whatever you need to do to take control I would reckon...

If you look at it as a stand alone thing the garda completely over reacted. I know it wasn't a stand alone thing, nothing in Mayo is, but even so breaking the window and threatening to drag him through it was unnecessary. He wasn't being unco-operative he just wasn't lowering the "broken" window. The Gardai had a few options here and they chose the agressive approach.

Also, there are some great excuses for no co-operating with the garda, like being someone who chooses not to recognise them as having authority, they can request I do something and I might, but since I don't drive there is little they can demand of me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

cursai wrote: »
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Saw the same thing at a checkpoint in rwanda involving local militants/police force man should have opened the door but smashing a window is the attitude of a thug in uniform.

Snigger!!!! I saw a man standing face to face with a tank once in China. Could happen here too. Very possible.

It could and did happen here too. Isnt that what this thread about :-$. Did the man not smash the other guys window.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

-sigh-

right, again i'll say the guards over reacted based on the evidence in the video...

however if you're a police officer, at a checkpoint and have a duty to perform including inspecting the driver's licence and breathalysing the driver or searching the vehicle if you deem necessary, yet said driver sits parked and just shouting at you from a locked car what do you do?

window broken or not, surely there are 3 other windows he can open? or open the door. refusing to cooperate will only go so far, and give 2 options, a long standoff where the vehicle and driver stay where they are until he opens his door, or the gardaí force entry to the vehicle... no one anywhere can drive up to a checkpoint, refuse to cooperate and then just drive away, thats just stupid...

If people believe a driver in any country can pull up to a police checkpoint and just shout at the police from inside his car and refuse to cooperate they have another thing coming, forget the US - try france, germany, spain, italy, australia, poland, china, russia try any country and the police WILL force entry to the car.

I wholeheartedly believe this video is a non story and as stated by another poster just more whinging by the S2S protesters cos no one is paying attention to them any more...

I disagree the army should be sent in they aren't trained primarily for situations like S2S and the outcome from the video may very well be tougher, or the same, certainly not softer... the rentacrowd problem in Mayo is a civil matter, and the responsibility of the civil authority whether the protesters recognise the authority or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have been stopped thousands of times on both sides of the border as I live quite close. Never had a problem. Treat people with respect and you get respect back.
    This lad was on a mission with his camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

The Gardai acted like complete thugs in this situation. Getting out a baton to break a window of his car and then threaten him with pepper spray. I mean wtf.

Next time (the inevitable) cuts are imposed on the Gardai - I will have no f@cking
    sympathy for them. We taxpayers pay their wages. In return, we expect an acceptable level of service. We expect them to act professionally and firmly* but not like complete thugs.

*(common courtesy would be nice also but they don't teach them that in Templemore)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you look at it as a stand alone thing the garda completely over reacted. I know it wasn't a stand alone thing, nothing in Mayo is, but even so breaking the window and threatening to drag him through it was unnecessary. He wasn't being unco-operative he just wasn't lowering the "broken" window. The Gardai had a few options here and they chose the agressive approach.

Also, there are some great excuses for no co-operating with the garda, like being someone who chooses not to recognise them as having authority, they can request I do something and I might, but since I don't drive there is little they can demand of me. :)

He was being uncooperative. He refused to move his car from the middle of the road. He refused to show his license, and he refused to open the door. At that point what do you want the guards to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

To the people who say that the guards over reacted, how long should a person be given to comply with a garda instruction?

A minute?

5 minutes?

10 minutes?

Half a day?

A week?

Indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Drake66

I never understand the need for this trend of hounding the gardai: they do a great job, one of the best in Europe in my opinion, with limited resources.

jewett wrote: »
    The Gardai acted like complete thugs in this situation. Getting out a baton to break a window of his car and then threaten him with pepper spray. I mean wtf.

Next time (the inevitable) cuts are imposed on the Gardai - I will have no f@cking
    sympathy for them. We taxpayers pay their wages. In return, we expect an acceptable level of service. We expect them to act professionally and firmly* but not like complete thugs.

*(common courtesy would be nice also but they don't teach them that in Templemore)

:rolleyes: very interested in your opinion about how the gardaí react to someone who won't open a window or door or cooperate? talk us through it start to finish there, with courtesy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

He was being uncooperative. He didn't move the car to where they asked. Any right minded person would find another way to communicate the "broken motor" problem with Gardai within seconds.

He made no attempt to co-operate. Even after they broke the window, and threatened the pepper spray, they told him to get out of the car a few times. But he just carried on rambling, he was hoping for it to carry on.

I hope this issue doesn't make mainstream news, because that is precisely what that idiot wanted when he got in the car that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jewett

d3exile wrote: »
    :rolleyes: very interested in your opinion about how the gardaí react to someone who won't open a window or door or cooperate?

So within 2 minutes of him not opening the window - one of them starts reaching for her baton. ONLY 2 minutes - did they think he had a gun? did they think he had a timed bomb in the car? did they think he was a suicide bomber?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

So within 2 minutes of him not opening the window - one them starts reaching for her baton. ONLY 2 minutes - did they think he had a gun? did they think he had a timed bomb in the car? did they think was a suicide bomber?

2 minutes is a friggin' ridiculous time to take the piss here, and that's what it is. Heavy handed? Maybe, but the guy is taking the piss. It does not take 2 minutes to open the bloody door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Unprovoked? please... the guy was being a tool.

"I'm going about my business, what's the story here"

Well clearly it's a checkpoint Einstein!

• Advertisement

So within 2 minutes of him not opening the window - one them starts reaching for her baton. ONLY 2 minutes - did they think he had a gun? did they think he had a timed bomb in the car? did they think was a suicide bomber?
    2 minutes is a friggin' ridiculous time to take the piss here, and that's what it is. Heavy handed? Maybe, but the guy is taking the piss. It does not take 2 minutes to open the bloody door.

:rolleyes:losing count of how many times i've said i agree they overreacted here, but only slightly, the more this eejit stayed like he was, breaking the window is the only option.

so if anyone out there can talk us through how they would handle the situation, given that the car cannot be allowed simply drive away without the gardaí getting to check his licence, him, and his car out... i'd be very interested to hear suggestions from the keyboard experts...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

It shows how the Gards operate here in our country.

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

CptSternn wrote: »
    It shows how the Gards operate here in our country.

Disgraceful.
    Are you trolling? did you watch the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

so if anyone out there can talk us through how they would handle the situation, given that the car cannot be allowed simply drive away without the gardaí getting to check his licence, him, and his car out... i'd be very interested to hear suggestions from the keyboard experts...:cool:

He could have gone round to the passengers door before smashing the window.
    The incident probably went on longer than what we seen.
    I do think the guard came across as annoyed/irate, would have been better if he kept his cool.
    They are dealing with this every day and it's always the same people causing aggro and the gardai are fully aware that they are recorded all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

smash wrote: »
    Unprovoked? please... the guy was being a tool.

"I'm going about my business, what's the story here"

Well clearly it's a checkpoint Einstein!

The story is if you don't stop acting like a twat you are going to be treated like one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Have a look at http://www.garda.ie/. They are our police service.

Now , be a good lad, and go back and learn the difference between Police and police! ;)

hondasam wrote: »
    He could have gone round to the passengers door before smashing the window.
    The incident probably went on longer than what we seen.
    I do think the guard came across as annoyed/irate, would have been better if he kept his cool.
    They are dealing with this every day and it's always the same people causing aggro and the gardai are fully aware that they are recorded all the time.

ok 100% agree on the passenger window thing, and the gardaí should have kept their cool more, but the video doesn't show, he could well have walked around the back of the car, or the first female Garda could have, the camera is only forward facing, but yes 100% trying all windows and doors would be a preferential option, but given the driver's attitude it would be reasonable to suggest he wouldn't/ "couldn't" open that one either, what next?

sooner or later lads if he keeps acting the way he was the window has to go in

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

For all we know, the driver could have been a regular wind-up-merchant, with a previous record of being a complete tit to the local Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

:rolleyes:losing count of how many times i've said i agree they overreacted here, but only slightly, the more this eejit stayed like he was, breaking the window is the only option.

Hardly the only option, they could have slashed his tyres or keyed the paintwork before moving onto the windows,
    also of course there's always the 'rhode island red light adjuster' ;)
    usually lets people know who's in change.

• Advertisement

milehip1 wrote: »
    Hardly the only option, they could have slashed his tyres or keyed the paintwork before moving onto the windows,
    also of course there's always the 'rhode island red light adjuster' ;)
    usually lets people who's in change.

I presume you mean "lets people know who's in charge?"

so are you proving my point by listing silly things as that you cant think of a better way to get the job done? :pac:

Advertisement