Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

hondasam wrote: »
    I'm sure he will try claim damages from the state. This is an every day occurrence at shell, they must need some publicity now, maybe people are forgetting about it. just a gentle reminder.
    Nothing provokes a reaction like good old garda headlines.

Cant see how he can claim while he is yelling about 750 times "The motor is broken".

But then again... nothing surprises me anymore when people start claiming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Garda: Can you lower your window please?
    Guy: No.

Garda: Can you open your window. *Something*. I want to see your driver's license.
    Guy: I'm not opening it.

Garda: Open the window.
    Guy: Look calm down, the window doesn't open.
    Garda: Open the door.
    Guy keeps ****ting on about the broken window motor.

Garda: I made a legal requirement of you to produce your driving license. You didn't give it to me.
    Guy: I was going to, I couldn't even hear you. I told you the motor wasn't working.
    Garda: Why didn't you open the door.
    Guy: *Doesn't answer the question*

The fact that the Female Garda tells him to open the door, and then asks why he didn't open the door would suggest that he is allowed to open the door.

As for the pop-up "This officer has to beat an extendable baton into the ground one assumes because of the force used to strike the car and threaten the driver."

Ummmmm.....that is how they work.
    When you swing it open, centrifugal force locks it open, and you tap it off of a hard surface to release it. It has fcuk all to do it how hard he hit the window.

Guy comes across as an pillock of the upmost order.

What if there had been a serial rapist or a murder on the loose and that was a garda checkpoint. They were just there checking vehicles and asking drivers a few questions. Up drives this guy who refuses to roll down his window or open his door. Would that not make them suspicious?

why cant I thank this post twice! Spot on dude!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

crazyderk wrote: »
    its also possible that the Garda have dealt with him before and know he's a trouble maker, the good people of boards are right the video is edited in a very fine way!

Same as the last one and majority of the ones before that and same as the ones we will see next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭catthinkin

Some guards behave like dicks some members of the public do to .

put them together what do you get ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

catthinkin wrote: »

A night in Copperface jacks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Yes illegal arrest if theres no hat on.

Legally if you knock a gardas hat off whilst he's arresting you then the arrest is cancelled. If the garda attempts to continue with the arrest then you can actually make a citizens arrest on him for impersonating a garda. Fact.

Did someone tell you that in a pub?? Don't be ridiculous - what about all the detectives in the country arresting people sans le beret??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Isn't he the Irish guy from the IT Crowd?

inforfun wrote: »
    Cant see how he can claim while he is yelling about 750 times "The motor is broken".

But then again... nothing surprises me anymore when people start claiming

He will probably try claim for the garda smashing it. He will be traumatised and in fear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Seachmall wrote: »
    I think it was implied that I was referring to the Gardai throughout the post.

Gardai or not poking their nose in somebody's business without a reason is excuse enough to not cooperate.

Yeah I realise that you were talking about the Gardai. I mean, I believe that if a Guard requests you to do something, you just do it and ask questions later.
    humberklog wrote: »
    Did the guy refuse to co-operate? Half the conversation's missing.
    I've been instructed by the gardai to do something that they'd no power to request, I didn't do it. Why would I do something that anyone with no power to instruct asks?

It was all fairly brief. The gardai should have come over to his side of the door. Assessed and investigated the situation and then acted. That's their job and by the looks of it: they didn't do that.

Yes it does look that the guy in the car is an asshat, but that's no reason the guards have to act like one too.

It's pretty clear they were uncooperative. Say what you like about the guards, but they didn't act like that for no reason..

Maybe it is just me, but I would never refuse to do something a guard asks (especially something as simple as opening a car window/door). I can't see why any decent person would.

catthinkin wrote: »

Lots of dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

hondasam wrote: »
    He will probably try claim for the garda smashing it. He will be traumatised and in fear etc.

Yep, can see the newspaper headlines followed by a new thread in AH already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

So are we supposed to feel sorry for this gob****e because he refused to co-operate with the guards? All he had to do was slowly open the door when they were beside the window, showing that he had no weapon. He shows them his licence, maybe he gets a bit of a ticking off and then he's on his way.

A ticking off for what? Driving down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

paddyh117 wrote: »
    Did someone tell you that in a pub?? Don't be ridiculous - what about all the detectives in the country arresting people sans le beret??

I read it in Viz (the Law Librarys monthly periodical.)

paddyh117 wrote: »

Detectives are not in uniform, plain clothes. No hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Did the guy refuse to co-operate? Half the conversation's missing.

Guy was asked by a member of the Garda Síochána for his driving license and did not do so.
    Section 40 of the Road Traffic Act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Dont have audio ?

Yet you are in a position to make that assumption ? ****s sake

Thats one of the dumbest comments I have seen on this forum.

What an idiotic thing to say. There are way dumber comments posted on this forum everyday.

Not one, but two gardai signal to the driver to pull in. That can be seen clearly without audio. The car doesnt move. You dont even need the audio. All it is is your man repeating he is "going about his business" and the motor is broken.

He could have opened the door and said "im sorry officer the window is broken. What can i do for you? My license, of course, here it is. Terrible weather today isnt it? Can i help you with anything else? I'll be off so, thanks goodbye."

Daithi 1 wrote: »
    Dont have audio ?

Yet you are in a position to make that assumption ? ****s sake

Thats one of the dumbest comments I have seen on this forum.

Huh?

He was being uncooperative. I worked that out without the help of the audio.

Dumb?

Damn clever I'd say.

*pat on back for myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Tenner bet its the OP or friend of in the vid.
    You owe me a tenner so :p I emigrated 3 years ago and saw this on Facebook a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Half the conversation is missing.
    I'm on the Garda side here, if you've nothing to hide, then just help them out, they're just doing their job at the end of the day, making the country safer for everyone. Some Garda are a**holes, but it's the same in all professions.

I have audio; although it's clear that half the conversation is missing, and the tone with which he addresses those Garda is diabolical! He's driving a car that would fail the NCT for that broken window which may or may not be legal I'm not too sure, he refuses to cooperate with what they're asking him to do even though it is a very straightforward request, and just aggravates the situation.

If I were the Garda, and he told me that he hadn't lowered the window because it was 'broken' and refused to open the door aswell, I would assume he's lying and has some other reason he doesn't want to speak to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I believe that if a Guard requests you to do something, you just do it and ask questions later.

I think that's a horrendously pathetic way to look at it.

I don't say that to be condescending or standoffish by the way, but I find that mentality extremely irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yer man was a fúcking arséhole.
    Gardaí were dead right based on the facts from the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

If you're going about your non-criminal related business it's ridiculous that somebody can simply stop you and request you do this and that without reason. ...

How were they to know he was going about non-criminal related business?
    He refused to pull in his car, wouldnt open his door or show his licence.

To be fair if someone refuses to do any of that at a checkpoint then that could well imply that the person has, or is about to engage in criminal related business!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yeah I realise that you were talking about the Gardai. I mean, I believe that if a Guard requests you to do something, you just do it and ask questions later.

It's pretty clear they were uncooperative. Say what you like about the guards, but they didn't act like that for no reason..

Maybe it is just me, but I would never refuse to do something a guard asks (especially something as simple as opening a car window/door). I can't see why any decent person would.

A couple of weeks ago in Dublin I watched a middle aged copper driving a police van with two female colleagues in the passenger seats. He was smoking a cigarette. He rolled the window down and flicked the butt onto the street and drove off.
    The same garda last week instructed me not to take pictures of an arrest. I was in a public place and wasn't impeding the arrest. All I could do was laugh.
    He's breaking so many laws one week and giving the general public bad instructions the next. A garda like that I'm expected to heed instantly? No.
    There are some badly informed garda out there and we the public should assess each instruction ourselves and not act instantly to each order barked.

I think that's a horrendously pathetic way to look at it.

I don't say that to be condescending or standoffish by the way, but I find that mentality extremely irritating.

Why? If you were stopped for no reason (in your eyes) by the guards, would you seriously refuse to do what they ask?
    A couple of weeks ago in Dublin I watched a middle aged copper driving a police van with two female colleagues in the passenger seats. He was smoking a cigarette. He rolled the window down and flicked the butt onto the street and drove off.
    The same garda last week instructed me not to take pictures of an arrest. I was in a public place and wasn't impeding the arrest. All I could do was laugh.
    He's breaking so many laws one week and giving the general public bad instructions the next. A garda like that I'm expected to heed instantly? No.
    There are some badly informed garda out there and we the public should assess each instruction ourselves and not act instantly to each order barked.

That is very clearly different. It was obvious that I meant that I would heed their instructions/requests in an official situation. Like the one in the vid for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    How were they to know he was going about non-criminal related business?
    He refused to pull in his car, wouldnt open his door or show his licence.

To be fair if someone refuses to do any of that at a checkpoint then that could well imply that the person has, or is about to engage in criminal related business!

They can't infer anything. They can't assume your unwillingness to cooperate is indicative of criminal activity, it's most likely simply indicative of an unwillingness to cooperate.

And how were they to know he was going about non-criminal related business?

Because they're given no reason to assume otherwise.
    Why? If you were stopped for no reason (in your eyes) by the guards, would you seriously refuse to do what they ask?
    As stated I have been in a couple of those situations and I've always cooperated.

However, I can fully appreciate why somebody wouldn't want to and firmly believe they shouldn't have to (within reason, of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Could the female Gardai in the video not handle the situation and figure out a solution themselves (try opening one of the doors etc) or why did they have to call over the man Garda, surely 2 Garda should be able to cope with this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

With the amount of gun crime in this country I'd be nervous if I was a Garda... And in all fairness I don't blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Whatever about the bigger argument over whether or not you should always and unquestionably do what the Gardai say.. the guy in that video was a total idiot, and brought it on himself. Why the fcuk didn't he just open the door!

"I'm going about my business".. yeah so are the other road users you're holding up.. ya dope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

If that was a woman driving the guard would be getting serious abuse off people posting here I reckon. Both parties are in the wrong IMO.

Who'll pay for the window d'you think?

Advertisement