Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

I agree with some of the above posts that both parties were in the wrong, they guy should have opened the door and dealt with it in the first instance. On the other hand though, the behaviour of the agressive guard is completely disproportionate. You could hear in his voice that he was all wound up and unhinged, completely unprofessional. Breaking the window seems like a crazy thing to do. A bit of a cool head like the driver displayed would go a long way for that guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Seachmall wrote: »
    Again, that's an extremely pathetic position to take.

Most Gardai are well mannered and well intentionend when doing their job but many are also ignorant in terms of rights. As mentioned earlier, and always gets mentioned in these threads, is your right to videotape in a public place. It's a complicated subject and they're not required to have an intricate understanding so it's understandable. What I'm getting at is it's up to you and you alone to protect your rights. The Gardai will typically do their best to advise you of your rights and respect them but it doesn't always happen.

To blindly comply with all Garda requests is not only naive but, once again, pathetic.

Of course in some situations there's no harm in answering a few questions or consenting to a search but don't assume it as a general rule. It's bad for you and for society as a whole.

It's a Garda checkpoint. You prove your car and paperwork are in order or go no further. You can't refuse to give a breath test because you feel it's an unreasonable request.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Clearly a setup
    But the first two gardai should have been able to handle the situation their supposed to be trained for that .
    So sending for MUNGO shouldn't have happened .
    Plus notice how the other 3 shield the action from the oncoming traffic as MONGO goes and does his thing !

We all know MONGO can be cranky after his nap.MONGO BREAK UGH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

It is not clear why the cop broke in the window. Was the car door locked?
    Was the passenger door locked? A female guard went to the passenger side at one stage, but she was off camera, did she try to open the door?

If the doors were locked, I'd say breaking the window was appropriate.

Watching again, it is clear that once the driver was perceived as being uncooperative, the gardai escalated - from 2 to 4 cops, etc. This was obvious. The driver had 30 seconds or more to open the door & communicate.

He seems to have expected that the cops would just wave him on. That is unreasonable, why have a roadblock if you are just going to wave on the drivers who wont stop/communicate?

Overall, I have no sympathy for the driver here. The cops were clearly tense & maybe a bit overzealous - but I dont see them doing anything wrong here.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

sorry should have said in my reply i agree the guards come across as a bit heavy handed and that the driver of the car was more than a bit of a muppet.

do we know the reason for the checkpoint tho? i know there are many routine ones around the S2S debacle but for all we know they could well have been looking for this Muppet specifically, again a well edited video that can easily hide a lot of evidence to support what the Gardaí did and why.

Again though, to reiterate, it would seem the Guards at scene overreacted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

hardCopy wrote: »
    It's a Garda checkpoint. You prove your car and paperwork are in order or go no further. You can't refuse to give a breath test because you feel it's an unreasonable request.
    I'm referring to the general mentality that some seem to have, not this situation in particular.
    I can't see or appreciate why somebody wouldn't though. Why should it be ok for someone in that scenario to not co-operate?
    In this situation he should most definitely present identification when asked for it, I'm speaking in general terms.
    d3exile wrote: »
    I very much doubt you do
    Well you know nothing about me so your opinion on whether or not I do is about as welcome as genital warts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Belly_Dancer

he should have opened is window.
    simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Soon as ya see a garda with his hands in his trousers pockets ya know he's probably only a bowsie. In my day coppers didn't walk around like cornerboys :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My, my, this is a very popular thread. Did the OP really think he was going to get the responses he was looking for? Schoolboy error - just like his buddy in the car :D

I do think the guards reaction was a little disproportionate but the driver spat in the face of 2 chances to cooperate (1. pull in to the side of the road 2. open the door) so he was looking for trouble.

I just wish we could see the next few minutes of video footage but i suspect that the creator felt that his attempt to play the victim would be tarnished by such a release

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

He got off easy. He refused to cooperate with instruction (hand signal by female garda to pull over) at a checkpoint. Refused to show his licence, he clearly said 'no' first. He seems like a pup and Gardai there have every reason to believe he could be committing or in the act of committing an arrestable offence.
    Lord knows why the video was put up. Its the worse example of the type of PR that group look for.
    Some of the comments in the video pop ups are hilarious. "Baton is beaten heavily on ground, because of the force that was used on the window" etc...
    As one poster said he got off lucky. Its this knid of behaviour and lack of respect that'll give cause to give draconian powers to An Garda Siochana who are a very liberal and community based police force. We should count ourselves lucky to have them.
    He should have been pulled out of the car through he window and if he resisted anymore be peppersprayed, then if he did it again baton should be used. rinse and repeat until he is handcuffed and arrested.
    Numerous summonses should then follow.
    Actually no id charge him on the spot because those type dont give real addresses anyway. 'the hill above the shell construction site next to Josies tent' doesnt count.
    Has anybody counted the complete waste of social welfare used on these individuals. id say its a strong competitor against the waste of Garda budgeted overtime.
    How do people think the gardai overacted? i dont get that at all. They were doing there jobs as outlined by law, yer man refused and they used the appropriate. What do people want a sit down and a cup of tea. Safety is paramount for Gardai. yer man could have been a complete psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

he should have opened is window.
    simples.

You should look at the video again ;) His window was broke.He says it quite a few times, you must have missed it.

Well you know nothing about me so your opinion on whether or not I do is about as welcome as genital warts.

I'm referring to the general mentality that you seem to have :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

The only Mongo in that recording is the twat who refused to co-operate with simple instructions.

"Please don't pepper spray me, I don't want that", ahh the poor innocent citizen being bullied by those nasty heavy handed Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Niggos wrote: »
    Should've rammed the fukking pigs.

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Where To wrote: »
    If this was the US driver wouldn't be too healthy now.:p

Gardai put up with far too much sh** in this country

Oh yeah, lets tool our boys in blue up post-haste.

I'm referring to the general mentality that you seem to have :D:D:D

I respect Gardai however I don't expect them to be perfect or have complete understanding of the nuances of personal rights.

Therefore I maintain the right to question their inquiries and refuse to cooperate if I believe them not to be based on legislation or to be otherwise unethical.

That clear it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

cursai wrote: »
    He got off easy. He refused to cooperate with instruction (hand signal by female garda to pull over) at a checkpoint. Refused to show his licence, he clearly said 'no' first. He seems like a pup and Gardai there have every reason to believe he could be committing or in the act of committing an arrestable offence.
    Lord knows why the video was put up. Its the worse example of the type of PR that group look for.
    Some of the comments in the video pop ups are hilarious. "Baton is beaten heavily on ground, because of the force that was used on the window" etc...
    As one poster said he got off lucky. Its this knid of behaviour and lack of respect that'll give cause to give draconian powers to An Garda Siochana who are a very liberal and community based police force. We should count ourselves lucky to have them.
    He should have been pulled out of the car through he window and if he resisted anymore be peppersprayed, then if he did it again baton should be used. rinse and repeat until he is handcuffed and arrested.
    Numerous summonses should then follow.
    Actually no id charge him on the spot because those type dont give real addresses anyway. 'the hill above the shell construction site next to Josies tent' doesnt count.
    Has anybody counted the complete waste of social welfare used on these individuals. id say its a strong competitor against the waste of Garda budgeted overtime.
    How do people think the gardai overacted? i dont get that at all. They were doing there jobs as outlined by law, yer man refused and they used the appropriate. What do people want a sit down and a cup of tea. Safety is paramount for Gardai. yer man could have been a complete psycho.

I suppose you thought Rodney King got off lightly.

I suppose you thought Rodney King got of lightly.

No comparison. Sorry....ridiculous immature comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

I suppose you thought Rodney King got off lightly.

You can hardly compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Hes a complete shít-stirrer. See his previous videos incl the May Day protests in 2004. Id say he was in the thick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

cursai wrote: »
    No comparison. Sorry....ridiculous immature comparison.

I was just been as ridiculous as you, to highlight the nonsense you came out with.

kc66 wrote: »
    Hes a complete shít-stirrer. See his previous videos incl the May Day protests in 2004. Id say he was in the thick of it.

That was close i opened his page, scrolled down through the video list, saw kevin myers, my ignorance alarm went off thankfully! Close Tab.
    I was at the May Day protests.....they got what they deserved. Some spoilt self righteous non contributing annoying scum at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

kc66 wrote: »

His blog is all crap giving out about how police treat protesters too...

http://soundmigration.wordpress.com/

His little episode in Mayo doesn't really compare to some of that material :D

I was just been as ridiculous as you, to highlight the nonsense you came out with.

Hmmm.....only two more classes left then your off for the weekend. Waheey!!!:)

I respect Gardai however I don't expect them to be perfect or have complete understanding of the nuances of personal rights.

Therefore I maintain the right to question their inquiries and refuse to cooperate if I believe them not to be based on legislation or to be otherwise unethical.

That clear it up?

I think given your comments in this thread alone very few other posters would vouch for your respect of the Gardaí, and i very much doubt you have a complete understanding of policing or the legislation it is based upon.

tell me this, is your driver side window broken? ;)

sorry, WAS your car window broken...

I think given your comments in this thread alone very few other posters would vouch for your respect of the Gardaí, and i very much doubt you have a complete understanding of policing or the legislation it is based upon.

tell me this, is your driver side window broken? ;)

sorry, WAS your car window broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Saw the same thing at a checkpoint in rwanda involving local militants/police force man should have opened the door but smashing a window is the attitude of a thug in uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

"Help, help! I'm being repressed."

If people go out looking for trouble, then in my opinion it's trouble they should get.

I've come across guys like him who'd poke a camera into your face to provoke a reaction. It's nonsense and utterly misrepresents reality.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Saw the same thing at a checkpoint in rwanda involving local militants/police force man should have opened the door but smashing a window is the attitude of a thug in uniform.

Snigger!!!! I saw a man standing face to face with a tank once in China. Could happen here too. Very possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

We have "Police" in Mayo? When was it ceded to the UK?

Advertisement