Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay classy Gardai - Mod Note in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

In this case I have to side with the Garda . The driver was being smart with them . If I had being the guard I would have dragged him out of the car and asked him questions after he had a few hours in a cell

Perhaps it's a good thing you're aint being a garda then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

Vid should be working again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Comments disabled on that youtube video now, a few minutes after it was posted on boards

Maybe he doesn't like the new comments he was getting

I expect to see that video on indymedia, the mods there delete any comment they disagree with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

In this case I have to side with the Garda . The driver was being smart with them . If I had being the guard I would have dragged him out of the car and asked him questions after he had a few hours in a cell

You should apply, you'd fit right in:p

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

milehip1 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's a good thing you're aint being a garda then.

And a good thing you're aint being an English teacher

:D

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah now come off it...there can often be plenty of excuses and reasons for not co-operating with the gaurds, bad instruction and undue interest is just that. As for doing what a guard tells you to do instantly? Well holy moly Mr. Orwell (and all that). Instantly? Good grief.

Why not?

The guy refused to co-operate. Why would you not do what a guard tells you? Why should they wait around?

IMO, if the person is not disabled, injured or intoxicated, I don't see why the guards should wait. Two minutes is a long time when someone is refusing to co-operate, they have to gain control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

There is no excuse for someone not co-operating.

There's every excuse for not cooperating if you're doing nothing wrong.

I've had a few encounters with Gardai and while I've always been cooperative and respectful I could fully understand why somebody wouldn't want to be.

If you're going about your non-criminal related business it's ridiculous that somebody can simply stop you and request you do this and that without reason.

I appreciate that they're only doing their job and I've utmost respect for most Gardai but people should have the right to tell them to feck off and continue on with their day.

Their business is catching criminals and maintaining order, if they've no reason to believe you're a criminal or being disorderly then what you're doing is none of their business and "Fuck off" is a valid response to otherwise stupid demands and inquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Shouldn't the title of the video be changed to "Completely warranted police violence provoked by S2S nutjob"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

The motor is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

hondasam wrote: »
    TBH I'm sick to death of this shell thing, it's costing us a fortune. Everyone knows the hassle with the gardai and the protesters, bring the army down there and see how they like that.

Yeah, The army could bring down their great arsenal of handbags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Seachmall wrote: »

I've had a few encounters with Gardai and while I've always been cooperative and respectful I could fully understand why somebody wouldn't want to be.

If you're going about your non-criminal related business it's ridiculous that somebody can simply stop you and request you do this and that without reason.

I appreciate that they're only doing their job and I've utmost respect most Gardai but people should have the right to tell them to feck off and continue on with their day.

Their business is catching criminals and maintaining order, if they've no reason to believe you're a criminal or being disorderly then what you're doing is none of their business and "Fuck off" is a valid response to otherwise stupid demands and inquiries.

+1 and imagine if it was happening on a regular basis when you're just going about your buisness

I'm off to the shop.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Seachmall wrote: »

I appreciate that they're only doing their job and I've utmost respect for most Gardai but people should have the right to tell them to feck off and continue on with their day.

But they are not just somebody. They are our police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Does the hat still matter?

Yes illegal arrest if theres no hat on.

Legally if you knock a gardas hat off whilst he's arresting you then the arrest is cancelled. If the garda attempts to continue with the arrest then you can actually make a citizens arrest on him for impersonating a garda. Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

In this case I have to side with the Garda . The driver was being smart with them . If I had being the guard I would have dragged him out of the car ve-hicle and asked him questions after he had a few hours in a cell

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

What a tool.
    For a start it's clearly a set up.
    Secondly, I'd have supported the Guard pepper spraying the clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Tenner bet its the OP or friend of in the vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

But they are not just somebody. They are our police force.

I think it was implied that I was referring to the Gardai throughout the post.

Gardai or not poking their nose in somebody's business without a reason is excuse enough to not cooperate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Why not?

The guy refused to co-operate. Why would you not do what a guard tells you? Why should they wait around?

Did the guy refuse to co-operate? Half the conversation's missing.
    I've been instructed by the gardai to do something that they'd no power to request, I didn't do it. Why would I do something that anyone with no power to instruct in certain issues asks?

It was all fairly brief. The gardai should have come over to his side of the door. Assessed and investigated the situation and then acted. That's their job and by the looks of it: they didn't do that.

Yes it does look that the guy in the car is an asshat, but that's no reason the guards have to act like one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

well its cleary not "unprovoked" he went out of his way to get a reaction, film it and post it on tinterweb - all he's managed to do is look like an idiot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ah well, at least he can now have the window fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Feckin' Culchies!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yes illegal arrest if theres no hat on.

Legally if you knock a gardas hat off whilst he's arresting you then the arrest is cancelled. If the garda attempts to continue with the arrest then you can actually make a citizens arrest on him for impersonating a garda. Fact.

Give over. That would just lead to master criminals being reduced to cap tippers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fake.

A viral vid for ♫ Autoglass repair.... Autoglass replace ♫

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

inforfun wrote: »
    Ah well, at least he can now have the window fixed.

I'm sure he will try claim damages from the state. This is an every day occurrence at shell, they must need some publicity now, maybe people are forgetting about it. just a gentle reminder.
    Nothing provokes a reaction like good old garda headlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Nothing wrong here, the driver was noncompliant and confrontational leading the Gardai to believe he had something to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Garda: Can you lower your window please?
    Guy: No.

Garda: Can you open your window. *Something*. I want to see your driver's license.
    Guy: I'm not opening it.

Garda: Open the window.
    Guy: Look calm down, the window doesn't open.
    Garda: Open the door.
    Guy keeps ****ting on about the broken window motor.

Garda: I made a legal requirement of you to produce your driving license. You didn't give it to me.
    Guy: I was going to, I couldn't even hear you. I told you the motor wasn't working.
    Garda: Why didn't you open the door.
    Guy: *Doesn't answer the question*

The fact that the Female Garda tells him to open the door, and then asks why he didn't open the door would suggest that he is allowed to open the door.

As for the pop-up "This officer has to beat an extendable baton into the ground one assumes because of the force used to strike the car and threaten the driver."

Ummmmm.....that is how they work.
    When you swing it open, centrifugal force locks it open, and you tap it off of a hard surface to release it. It has fcuk all to do it how hard he hit the window.

Guy comes across as an pillock of the upmost order.

What if there had been a serial rapist or a murder on the loose and that was a garda checkpoint. They were just there checking vehicles and asking drivers a few questions. Up drives this guy who refuses to roll down his window or open his door. Would that not make them suspicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

its also possible that the Garda have dealt with him before and know he's a trouble maker, the good people of boards are right the video is edited in a very fine way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Daithi 1

Don't have audio here, but from what I can gather, the driver was being completely uncooperative? They probably thought he/she had something to hide.

Dont have audio ?

Yet you are in a position to make that assumption ? ****s sake

Thats one of the dumbest comments I have seen on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The guy was clearly directed to pull in and was blocking oncoming traffic. Idiot.

As for the note about the Garda using the ground to fold up her baton, that's how you're supposed to close them, they lock in place when extended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

He is clearly looking for some sort of provocation. He got it too. Good enough for him.

Advertisement