Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/technow/movies/narcos-renewed-for-two-more-seasons-419649.html

Narcos renewed for two more seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

If anyone is stressed out and just needs to chill out and relax the mind you could do worse than watching the Slow TV shows.

One is a Knitting Evening

One is a Train Ride from Bergen to Oslo.

One is a Cruise.

Nothing happens at all.

These are nice to have on in the background

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ageyev wrote: »
    I watched Welcome to the Punch. Passable actioner set in England. James McAvoy plays a secret service cop with a grudge against a bank robber/terrorist type.

Definitely going for the Michael Mann feel, always like McAvoy when he plays it a little more off beat. Still think his performance in Filth is his best to date.

Eran Creevy the director of Punch debut film Shifty is well worth checking out and is a better film on a way lower budget too.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

There's a few scenes in Welcome to the Punch which had me convinced that Mark Strong would make an amazing Agent 47 in a Hitman film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

The Little Prince

Surprised not to see it get more mentions. Lovely children's movie. Not far off Pixar quality. Lots of big names doing the voices too. Ricky Gervais, Paul Rudd, Rachel McAdams. Definitely recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

scouttio wrote: »
    There's a few scenes in Welcome to the Punch which had me convinced that Mark Strong would make an amazing Agent 47 in a Hitman film.

He's good in pretty much everything he does

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

City 40 - documentary on a Russian closed city. Mad feckers the Russkis.

Definitely worth a look!

The Little Prince

Surprised not to see it get more mentions. Lovely children's movie. Not far off Pixar quality. Lots of big names doing the voices too. Ricky Gervais, Paul Rudd, Rachel McAdams. Definitely recommended.

I've watched half of it, have to watch the rest, it's quite a strange one but the messages in it are quite powerful, I love the message about things being unique. Seems a sad film though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yep, it's definitely got some dark edges and is very deep in places. Definitely finish watching it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

fin12 wrote: »
    I've watched half of it, have to watch the rest, it's quite a strange one but the messages in it are quite powerful, I love the message about things being unique. Seems a sad film though.

Yeah, I posted the week it came out that both my daughter and wife were in tears at different points during it, it has a lovely look to it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Janis: Little Girl Blue - Brilliant documentary.
    Obviously the director is a fan but Janis is showcased with all her flaws. Such a creative force but Such a troubled individual.
    It's a familiar story. She (and many others) are just too big to fit into this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

Bambi wrote: »
    He's good in pretty much everything he does

ya i've always liked him as well - got a shock when i was watching The Guard and he turns up on the Diving Tower in Blackrock :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

jamesieliz wrote: »
    ya i've always liked him as well - got a shock when i was watching The Guard and he turns up on the Diving Tower in Blackrock :)

I think I first noticed him in the Guy Richie sherlock holmes, hes also in revolver which didn't deserve the reception that it received at all

turns out he's in this as well which, judging by the trailer, looks awful

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Dornan's Irish accent sounds terrible, especially for someone who is actually from the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Anyone looking for a decent comedy series , check out Bad Education (with Jack Whitehall)...... It's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

El Duda wrote:
    Finally finished Fargo season 2

El Duda wrote:
    Bokeem Woodbine & Kirsten Dunst were the stand out performers for me. Possibly the greatest performance of KD's career to date?

It's absolutely brilliant...... and I agree totally about Bokeem Woodbine especially...... fantastic performance and a really cool distinctive voice , along the lines of Morgan Freeman. Great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Fargo has been so exceptional - it's my favorite ever movie, the second season though was absolutely riveting.

I urge anyone to watch the whole lot and the movie, for me there's not much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Does the Fargo TV series have the same kind of absurdist humour that the film had? Are there characters from the film in the show?

Baby Boom, nice film, starring Diane Keating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Does the Fargo TV series have the same kind of absurdist humour that the film had? Are there characters from the film in the show?

Yeah, sort of, there's a connection to the film, it's minor, but when you see it, it's a real wow moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Very similar tone if not as laugh out loud funny or pointed as the film. It's set in the same universe so there are a few links.

I personally didn't like the film, at all. Can't speak for the first season of TV but the second one was a superb piece of television. So, I don't know what that says.... if you liked the film you'll probably like the show, if you didn't like the film you might still like the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I personally didn't like the film, at all. Can't speak for the first season of TV but the second one was a superb piece of television. So, I don't know what that says.... if you liked the film you'll probably like the show, if you didn't like the film you might still like the show.

You watched the second series but not the first? You animal :pac:

Seriously, go back and watch it. Worth it for Billy Bob Thornton alone. Great show

Synode wrote: »
    You watched the second series but not the first? You animal :pac:

Seriously, go back and watch it. Worth it for Billy Bob Thornton alone. Great show

Well given that I didn't like the film I didn't think I'd like the series. It was the cast of the second one that drew me in. I have been meaning to watch the first one since. I found that after watching Stranger Things I've been reluctant to start a new TV series as I'm sure it won't be as good. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

You should watch s1 of Fargo anyway. Molly Solverson is a great character - smart and tuned in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Fargo is one of my favourite films of all time so I was really looking forward to the show and it disappoint.

However, and I realise I'm in the minority here, I much preferred season 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

adox wrote: »
    Fargo is one of my favourite films of all time so I was really looking forward to the show and it disappoint.

However, and I realise I'm in the minority here, I much preferred season 1.

I loved the film and season 1 of the TV show. Season 2, for me at least, was awful.

Watched the Janis Joplin documentary there, Little Girl Blue.

It was alright but a tad long, I felt. Maybe one or two performances could have been shortened or cut completely. At one point I started thinking
    she was never going to die

It's sad how many of these types of documentaries there are about talented people who go down the same path. Watching this I felt like I'd seen it before but they all start to run into one another. Same beats, same problems, same outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

At one point I started thinking
    she was never going to die

Spoiler lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Someone should just go ahead and make a 27 Club Doc that covers all these Artists at once.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement