Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Just heads up Friday Nigh Lights leaving 23 September. I'm currently on the 4th season but still disappointing to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Separate threads for film & TV
    Anyone watched The Get Down yet? It cost Netflix $10m per episode to make apparently. I tried it but gave up after 20 minutes.
    Is it worth revisiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Anyone watched The Get Down yet? It cost Netflix $10m per episode to make apparently. I tried it but gave up after 20 minutes. Is it worth revisiting?

I thought it was pretty good. Cheesy rap's but worth it overall. Just finished the last episode an hour ago.

Watched Bloodline S2 in the last few days. What a goddamn good show. Such slow burning intensity and drama, outstanding acting. Critics seem to have panned it, I guess not enough magic sparkles and flashing lights in it for them. But as far as drama goes this is really top notch stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Watched Bloodline S2 in the last few days. What a goddamn good show. Such slow burning intensity and drama, outstanding acting. Critics seem to have panned it, I guess not enough magic sparkles and flashing lights in it for them. But as far as drama goes this is really top notch stuff

One of the best shows I have ever watched!! The acting was really incredible. If you're into drama, this is a must must watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Bloodlines is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

One of the best shows I have ever watched!! The acting was really incredible. If you're into drama, this is a must must watch.

I'm obviously not into drama cos I managed two episodes of wanting every single character to die in a chip pan fire before I gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Narcos is back September 2nd. Woohoooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Anyone watched The Get Down yet? It cost Netflix $10m per episode to make apparently. I tried it but gave up after 20 minutes.
    Is it worth revisiting?

Just finished it and loved it in the end. Took me awhile to get into it but by the end of it I really enjoyed it.

Very different kind of show to the stuff I watch but for me it was worth the effort. It's a funky fun trippy programme that's just cool. I don't even like rap or that stuff so was reluctant to watch when my wife suggested it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

As Above, So Below aka Catacombs added today. Meant to be a pretty solid found footage horror film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Just watched XOXO with my 12 year old daughter. A bit predictable but some crazy moments make it very watchable if you've ever been wasted. Americans always go OTT.
    Daughter loved it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

Just watched XOXO with my 12 year old daughter. A bit predictable but some crazy moments make it very watchable if you've ever been wasted. Americans always go OTT.
    Daughter loved it.:)

It's pretty if nothing else, some of the music was great. Would recommend to a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,228 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Watched Hush.

Enjoyed it.

Short, didn't outstay its welcome.

Loved the tune in the end credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm obviously not into drama cos I managed two episodes of wanting every single character to die in a chip pan fire before I gave up

It's a cliché but it's well worth investing the time in, it's a slow burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Watched Let's Kill Ward's Wife last night for something that I could watch & switch the brain off for.

Ticked this box, funny in places & easy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a cliché but it's well worth investing the time in, it's a slow burner.

I hope they finish it off in the third season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Watched Mind Game since I haired Studio 4C's titles were expiring at the end of the month. Got pretty sluggish after the first 3rd but the climax was great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

jh79 wrote: »
    As Above, So Below aka Catacombs added today. Meant to be a pretty solid found footage horror film.

I lasted a little over 20 minutes of this (having heard good things about it, despite a seemingly bad ending) before the sub-Dan-Brown approach to, well, everything made me turn it off. Dreadful arsegravy, as far as I could tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Fysh wrote: »
    I lasted a little over 20 minutes of this (having heard good things about it, despite a seemingly bad ending) before the sub-Dan-Brown approach to, well, everything made me turn it off. Dreadful arsegravy, as far as I could tell.

It's absolutely gick. Avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Sat down to watch Wolf of Wall Street last night but didn't realise it had been removed! Watched Sicario instead and loved it, I'd recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Sat down to watch Wolf of Wall Street last night but didn't realise it had been removed! Watched Sicario instead and loved it, I'd recommend it.

Sicario is a great watch, would highly recommend!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Having last night cleansed the rancid taste of As Above, So Below with Megamind (well made, fun and funny - kind of like what you'd get if you mashed up The Incredibles with Despicable Me, though not quite as clever or inventive as The Incredibles), tonight I watched The Invitation and was quite impressed with it. It's a strong, well-executed character drama about a reunion dinner for a group of friends, with the elephant in the room being that two of the group (Will & Eden) used to be married and separated after the death of one of their children a couple of years previously. Each of them has been struggling with the grief in their own way, and as the evening proceeds Will starts to have questions about how Eden has attained her newfound inner peace...

It's not revolutionary, but it does what it does very well, with some nice flourishes, good pacing and and feeling of unease and tension around Will's state of mind that never quite lets up. Well worth a watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Having last night cleansed the rancid taste of As Above, So Below with Megamind (well made, fun and funny - kind of like what you'd get if you mashed up The Incredibles with Despicable Me, though not quite as clever or inventive as The Incredibles)

Megamind is brilliant.

Carry on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

See No Evil, Hear No Evil is on Netflix for anyone still up and wanting to watch something

tonight I watched The Invitation and was quite impressed with it. It's a strong, well-executed character drama about a reunion dinner for a group of friends, with the elephant in the room being that two of the group (Will & Eden) used to be married and separated after the death of one of their children a couple of years previously. Each of them has been struggling with the grief in their own way, and as the evening proceeds Will starts to have questions about how Eden has attained her newfound inner peace...

It's not revolutionary, but it does what it does very well, with some nice flourishes, good pacing and and feeling of unease and tension around Will's state of mind that never quite lets up. Well worth a watch.

Yeah, really enjoyed it as well. Nice slow burner of an atmosphere. The only criticism I'd have is that it slightly blows it's load at the end but still definitely worth a watch.

Yeah, really enjoyed it as well. Nice slow burner of an atmosphere. The only criticism I'd have is that it slightly blows it's load at the end but still definitely worth a watch.

I particularly appreciated that
    there was no jump-scare nonsense once it all went mental
    . I kept wondering if
    we were in for a shark-jumping moment of someone who was clearly mortally wounded turning out to be nigh-on invincible
    and was pleased with how it turned out. On top of that, I thought the
    reveal with the lanterns
    was done in a neat and understated fashion.

I particularly appreciated that
    there was no jump-scare nonsense once it all went mental
    . I kept wondering if
    we were in for a shark-jumping moment of someone who was clearly mortally wounded turning out to be nigh-on invincible
    and was pleased with how it turned out. On top of that, I thought the
    reveal with the lanterns
    was done in a neat and understated fashion.

Yeah, it was all handled very subtly. The more I think about it, the higher my opinion of it gets. The guy playing Will dead a magnificent job. He was very understated but you really got the sense of someone still shell-shocked by grief trying to go through the motions of being social for the benefit of his friends.

It's great to watch a thriller that doesn't feel derivative or cliched.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pan's Labyrinth added this morning. I've never seen it, is it as good as people say?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Pan's Labyrinth added this morning. I've never seen it, is it as good as people say?

its great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,315 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Wrestler also added.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement