Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,818 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Boyhood added today.

Is that in anyway a follow on from Kidulthood?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    emmetkenny wrote: »

No.

Boyhood is an amazing film made over 11 years watching with the same cast aging as it goes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

emmetkenny wrote: »

Adulthood is the sequel to Kidulthood. And then also Brotherhood which is in cinemas at the mo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Saw Boyhood in the cinema, Interesting idea but a bit clunky in its storytelling.

Saw Boyhood in the cinema, Interesting idea but a bit clunky in its storytelling.

Slightly off topic..... I haven't seen Boyhood yet but there's a film by Michael Winterbottom called Everyday which used the same idea. It was filmed for a few weeks every year for about 5 years. The story revolves around a father who is in prison and his wife and 3 kids who are getting on with their lives while still visiting him. Quite a slow and depressing film but I thought the filming over years thing worked really well in it as it sort of rammed home the period of time this guy was missing from his kids lives. The difference in them all from the start of the film to the end was massive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Watched "Who took Johnny" a documentary about a young boy who disappeared in Iowa back in the 1980s. There has been much conflict between his parents and the authorities over the years and this follows it and explains the timelines. Very unnerving stuff about child trafficikng surface, and major questions asked about the control of investigations and information within the system.
    Unnerving stuff to watch really, but pretty eye opening to how much the world has changed in the last 30 years in terms of how people approach child safety and the awareness of predators in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Anyone see Street Smart yet. Just got done watching it. Good movie although a tad implausible at time especially how they tie up the ending.

But a fantastic performance from Morgan Freeman really menacing as the pimp Fast Black before he got type cast as the go to Messianic character in every Hollywood blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Racing through Californication (30 min episodes help).

Not sure I'll get through the whole 84 episodes but if his liver doesn't pack in or he doesn't get knob-rot before the end, then I call fake! (Just a tad jealous) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

gucci wrote: »
    Watched "Who took Johnny" a documentary about a young boy who disappeared in Iowa back in the 1980s. There has been much conflict between his parents and the authorities over the years and this follows it and explains the timelines. Very unnerving stuff about child trafficikng surface, and major questions asked about the control of investigations and information within the system.
    Unnerving stuff to watch really, but pretty eye opening to how much the world has changed in the last 30 years in terms of how people approach child safety and the awareness of predators in society.

I enjoyed it as a documentary,
    but didn't really feel they were able to support the child trafficking hypothesis with anything other than Bonacci's allegations. There should have been some sort of independent evidence, which wasn't at all presented to the viewer. That's not to say the local police didn't make a bags of the investigation, they did, clearly, but for me I'm not sure it adds up to a conspiracy (?) It felt a little like there was an agenda on the doc makers part.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

hunger games mokingjay part 2 added to today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

tigger123 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it as a documentary,
    but didn't really feel they were able to support the child trafficking hypothesis with anything other than Bonacci's allegations. There should have been some sort of independent evidence, which wasn't at all presented to the viewer. That's not to say the local police didn't make a bags of the investigation, they did, clearly, but for me I'm not sure it adds up to a conspiracy (?) It felt a little like there was an agenda on the doc makers part.

Yeah I agree that there were a few moments where the evidence was scarce to back up some of the claims, but that just seems to be par for the course for modern TV docs. The real eye opener to me was
    how people were so naieve to the threat of pedophilia etc in their towns and cities. I suppose it just shows how much the world has changed in the last 30 years. These type of people have always existed, just now we are more aware, and possibly their ability to network has been made easier.
    Bonnaci was quite a complex person, he seems to live quite a normal life now, which is incredible considering his background.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,309 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Big Short added today

Rick and Morty arriving the 1st. That's next weekend sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

Arq - film. A bit of a Edge of Tomorrow/source code "time loop" thing going on. Enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rick and Morty arriving the 1st. That's next weekend sorted.
    Just season one, or season two as well?

Did a binge recently.. just an incredible show!

On a casual watch, it seems just like another adult-animated show. But there's just some incredibly well-thought out rewarding episodes in there.. especially in season 2 - A Rickle In Time and Auto Erotic Assimilation and to name just two.

Basq wrote: »
    Just season one, or season two as well?

Did a binge recently.. just an incredible show!

On a casual watch, it seems just like another adult-animated show. But there's just some incredibly well-thought out rewarding episodes in there.. especially in season 2 - A Rickle In Time and Auto Erotic Assimilation and to name just two.

Sorry doesn't say whether its the first or second season. Found it on the facebook fan page.

Yea very inventive show. The episode where Rick throws the houseparty is one of the funniest half hours of television I've seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

the big short added today

It's just season 1 of Rick & Morty according to this.... https://www.list.co.uk/article/84805-new-on-netflix-uk-october-2016/

I thought R&M was a kids cartoon until someone recently showed me a scene where an alien forces the smaller guy to listen to him read his screenplay. Will have to binge that straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭ahlookit

I'm watching Rick & Morty at the minute, nearing the end of season 2. Its superb.

There were a few mentions a couple of weeks back for Last Chance U, a documentary series about a college football team who try to rehabilitate problem footballers and get them through college so they can go pro. I know next to nothing about american football, but I'm really enjoying this. It focuses on a couple of players, the coach, and the academic advisor who basically runs round after the players making sure they go to class and trying to impose some sort of structure and discipline on the players who arent used to routines.

Here's an article on it from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/sep/02/last-chance-u-american-football-sports-documentary

And the trailer

While finding that trailer, I saw this one. Another documentary, this time a feature length. Its supposed to be released today but I can't see it on Netflix yet. Its called Audrie and Daisy, and it looks like it will be tough to watch given the subject matter of sexual assault and online bullying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ahlookit wrote: »
    I'm watching Rick & Morty at the minute, nearing the end of season 2. Its superb.

There were a few mentions a couple of weeks back for Last Chance U, a documentary series about a college football team who try to rehabilitate problem footballers and get them through college so they can go pro. I know next to nothing about american football, but I'm really enjoying this. It focuses on a couple of players, the coach, and the academic advisor who basically runs round after the players making sure they go to class and trying to impose some sort of structure and discipline on the players who arent used to routines.

Here's an article on it from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/sep/02/last-chance-u-american-football-sports-documentary

And the trailer

While finding that trailer, I saw this one. Another documentary, this time a feature length. Its supposed to be released today but I can't see it on Netflix yet. Its called Audrie and Daisy, and it looks like it will be tough to watch given the subject matter of sexual assault and online bullying

I thought the Audrey and Daisy documentary was realeased today but it's not available to watch, also there's an Amanda Knox documentary coming soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

fin12 wrote: »
    I thought the Audrey and Daisy documentary was realeased today but it's not available to watch, also there's an Amanda Knox documentary coming soon.

Audrie and Daisy is there now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Stumbled upon The Big Short this evening, it's an eye opener, worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Stumbled upon The Big Short this evening, it's an eye opener, worth a watch.

Saw it by other means a few months ago.

Well worth a watch, shows what was going on before the crash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Harry66 wrote: »
    Audrie and Daisy is there now

I watched this yesterday. It's an emotionally charged and anger-inducing documentary. Essentially, the film's thesis is if you're a boy, you'll get on with your life with few if any consequences. If you're a girl, according to the local populace, you probably had some culpability in being raped. Oh, and don't rock the boat in a small town, ever. Some of the things the sheriff said - apparently with no self-awareness whatsoever - were terrible. And the former mayor was an awful apologist too. Pride in the town comes first. On the plus side, Daisy Coleman may be one of the most articulate young women I've seen interviewed anywhere.

I watched this yesterday. It's an emotionally charged and anger-inducing documentary. Essentially, the film's thesis is if you're a boy, you'll get on with your life with few if any consequences. If you're a girl, according to the local populace, you probably had some culpability in being raped. Oh, and don't rock the boat in a small town, ever. Some of the things the sheriff said - apparently with no self-awareness whatsoever - were terrible. And the former mayor was an awful apologist too. Pride in the town comes first. On the plus side, Daisy Coleman may be one of the most articulate young women I've seen interviewed anywhere.

This is a lot of people's attitudes towards rape though. It's sad but it's true.

I watched My Beautiful Broken Brain last night.

It's a documentary about Lotje Sodderland who suffered a massive stroke in her early 30's and lost her language skills and distorted her sensory perception. A large part of it is made up of her own videos, filmed on her phone, throughout her recovery process. It's a very personal and intimate look at one person's experience but as a result a lot of the videos are quite low quality and difficult to hear. They go all out to make you experience the world as Lotje is, dodgy effects to show how her vision is impaired, muffling the sound and clanging noised to show how she's hearing everything at once etc. etc.

It's still an interesting watch, and quite shocking to see how this can happen to anyone, at any age, but personally I would have preferred to see, and hear, a bit more science. There are a few scenes where she's talking to experts and the sound drops out. I assume it's to illustrate how Lotje herself can't make any sense of what's being said to her, literally can't comprehend the words at times, but I would have liked to hear what was going on.

Ya that Sherriff should be ashamed of himself, so ignorant, worst thing is he has two young daughters.

Anbody else who has watched the Audrey and Daisy documentary I just want to discuss the video of Daisy
    being apparently deleated and no way could they retrieve it because it's was an apple phone or device the Sherriff said when Apple stuff are deleated, that just screams bull**** to me and also the video of the interview where one of the suspects was being interviewed and the cop interviewing him was asking him about the tape and the suspect said ya there was a video but it's no deleated, the cop then proceeds to hand the phone to the suspect and says can you turn that off because I don't know how to turn those phones off, suspect then has the phone and it to me like he's given quite a bit of time, definetly hitting a few keys and eventually the cop comes around behind him and you see the suspect then hitting the top bottom on the phone, which he didn't do automatically when the phone was first handed to him. I would be not be surprised if the video was deleated there and then, that part of the interview is highly suspicious. #. Corrupt cops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

fin12 wrote: »
    Anbody else who has watched the Audrey and Daisy documentary I just want to discuss the video of Daisy
    being apparently deleated and no way could they retrieve it because it's was an apple phone or device the Sherriff said when Apple stuff are deleated, that just screams bull**** to me and also the video of the interview where one of the suspects was being interviewed and the cop interviewing him was asking him about the tape and the suspect said ya there was a video but it's no deleated, the cop then proceeds to hand the phone to the suspect and says can you turn that off because I don't know how to turn those phones off, suspect then has the phone and it to me like he's given quite a bit of time, definetly hitting a few keys and eventually the cop comes around behind him and you see the suspect then hitting the top bottom on the phone, which he didn't do automatically when the phone was first handed to him. I would be not be surprised if the video was deleated there and then, that part of the interview is highly suspicious. #. Corrupt cops.

It's an Apple thing, afaik. A similar issue came up when the FBI was trying to get into phone belonging to the San Bernardino killer. But yes, the phone in the interview thing was odd. Even if you're a luddite of a detective, surely you'd just stick it in an evidence bag.

• Advertisement

It's an Apple thing, afaik. A similar issue came up when the FBI was trying to get into phone belonging to the San Bernardino killer. But yes, the phone in the interview thing was odd. Even if you're a luddite of a detective, surely you'd just stick it in an evidence bag.

Or at least be behind him the whole time he has the phone and see exactly what he's doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement