Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You don't need a PC to access Hulu, all you need is to pay about $5 a month to one of the many services that we are not allowed talk about on boards and you can watch it on any console of similar device. Back home our smart TV has Hulu and all the others out of the box.

Really? Is it Hulu plus, the one with no annoying ads? And how does the content compare to Netflix? Is there anywhere I can have a look at what they have

Separate threads for film & TV
    Really? Is it Hulu plus, the one with no annoying ads? And how does the content compare to Netflix? Is there anywhere I can have a look at what they have

Hulu Plus has ads on a lot of the TV, it's a necessary evil to keep the price down as without it the subscription per month would be over $50. Almost none of the films have ads, only time you'll see them is when there's a really new release put up by one of the providers. Every now and again you'll see a recently released VOD title there with ads. You can browse the catalog on the site or check out moreflicks.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Hulu Plus has ads on a lot of the TV, it's a necessary evil to keep the price down as without it the subscription per month would be over $50. Almost none of the films have ads, only time you'll see them is when there's a really new release put up by one of the providers. Every now and again you'll see a recently released VOD title there with ads. You can browse the catalog on the site or check out moreflicks.com

I thought you also needed an American credit card. Anyway, ignore me, straying further off topic, if that were possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

donfers wrote: »
    USA is no longer where it's at for netflix

canada, mexico, brazil, netherlands and sweden all miles better at the moment with surprisingly impressive catalogues

+1 to this.
    I found Australia to have some good top films too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Happyman42 wrote:
    Stagering mullah for a show I have only ever seen a handful of episodes, found the actors more annoying than adolescent kids high on too much sugar.

Funniest TV show ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Funniest TV show ever.

Try as I might, Ive never been able to "get" Seinfeld.

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

You don't get Seinfeld, Seinfeld gets you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Funniest TV show ever.

Oops...I thought the original post was talking about Friends. Seinfeld is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

anyone seen "Terms and conditions may apply" ?

very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

For those of you who need an immediate fix of seinfeld, crackle movies via the app on your PS3 will allow you to see a limited number of episodes. Crackle is completely free but does require the same setup as watching other Netflix regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    For those of you who need an immediate fix of seinfeld, crackle movies via the app on your PS3 will allow you to see a limited number of episodes. Crackle is completely free but does require the same setup as watching other Netflix regions.

Isn't there some seasons also on Sky go?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Love Seinfeld..

My favourite DVD boxset I own:

71S7kYMMEAS._SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Basq wrote: »
    Love Seinfeld..

My favourite DVD boxset I own:

Have them all as individual season dvds, that looks nice though, no doubt it will get a Blu Ray release soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I watched Filth last night, I recommend it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally caught Wreck-it Ralph and How To Train Your Dragon 2 over the last couple of days.

Wreck-it Ralph was very good; I'm fond of retro games as I grew up playing them so I guess I'm the target audience but I really liked the ñumber and quality of gaming jokes in there, as well as the use of Coach Sue from Glee as the bad-ass Mastee Chief character. Plus the dynamic between Vanelope and Ralph was very well done, and gave the film a much stronger emotional core than many such films.

HTTYD2, on the other hand, was quite disappointing. I really enjoyed in the first film, again because of a strong character dynamic lending it a good emotional core. This time around everything was much sloppier and looser, and a lot of the charm was missing. Sure, the dragons are basically big leathery cats and steal the show, but on the other hand the script is hideously clunky and involves far too many instances of People Doing Just The Right Stupid Thing To Allow The Plot To Continue, Even If It Will Quite Obviously Get Them Killed And They Could Just As Easily Do Something Else. I'd basically checked out of this mentally by about 2/3 of the way through because it felt too templatey and contrived, and the third act just made things worse by adding in a whole load of extremely unsubtle moralising guff. I'll happily watch the first film again, but I don't see any reason to watch this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Braquo season 2 is on Irish/UK. Excellent series, described as the French Wire..written by the creator of 36. Chances are you'll like it if your are a fan of French cop films/dramas.

glynf wrote: »
    Braquo season 2 is on Irish/UK. Excellent series, described as the French Wire..chances are you'll like it if your are a fan of French cop dramas e.g. Sprial.

Was actually tempted to watch it the other night but started Fargo instead. It only had a few thousand votes on IMDb so I was pretty sceptical. Have you seen Gomorrah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Fargo is excellent, much better than I expected as I did not like the film. I thought Billy Bob Thornton is brilliant in it.

Picked up Gomorrah the film on DVD years ago, have not seen the series yet-it looks good. I'm going through a French cop/thriller phase currently, watched La Haine & 36 last week as well as Braquo :)

glynf wrote: »
    Fargo is excellent, much better than I expected as I did not like the film. I thought Billy Bob Thornton is brilliant in it.

Picked up Gomorrah the film on DVD years ago, have not seen the series yet-it looks good. I'm going through a French cop/thriller phase currently, watched La Haine & 36 last week as well as Braquo :)

Yeah, Billy Bob's acting is perfect for the character, which is one of my favourites of any show now, almost up there with Walter White. Some of the humour is done flawlessly!

Ah well, was gonna ask your opinion on Braquo compared to Gomorrah because I loved Gomorrah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Finished Bloodline last night. Excellently written and acted throughout.
    Although I wasn't overly happy about the way the final episode focused so heavily on setting up and giving a reason for the next series rather than giving a satisfactory conclusion to this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes added to Netflix Canada.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Ageyev wrote: »
    Many thanks!

Is series 2 of The Americans on Netflix anywhere?

Americans series two is on Sweden and associated regions. No English subs for the Russian dialogue however and I'm not sure if S2 is on an Englisg language region. Well worth a watch anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

The Exorcist has been added to Netflix America, anyone know if its the original version or the version you've never seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Exorcist has been added to Netflix America, anyone know if its the original version or the version you've never seen.

It's the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was actually tempted to watch it the other night but started Fargo instead. It only had a few thousand votes on IMDb so I was pretty sceptical. Have you seen Gomorrah?

It's well worth a watch, it's a great program. FX UK show it and they finished season 3 last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

It's the original.

Thanks, much prefer the original and it seems next to impossible to get it anywhere online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dog Pound

Canadian film about three young lads in a borstal.

It's based on the British film Scum which I saw years ago. So no secret what's in here; bullying, rape, death, suicide and more. The correctional officers work a pretty stressful job and doing their best.

I thought it was ok and worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Spartucus blood and sand and gods of the arena.
    Eye for an Eye really good movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Niska

In Order of Disappearance (2014) (On Irish / UK netflix).

It's a Norwegian gangster movie (and quite funny in places too), a seemingly random pick under 'You may also like'.

Stellan Skarsgård plays Nils, a snow plow operator,
    who seeks revenge after his son is killed by local gangsters, sparking a war between rival gangs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement