Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

Separate threads for film & TV
    Loughc wrote: »
    Watching first episode now. Seems very paint by the numbers. Hope it improves.

Spoiler -
    it really doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just realised 21 jump street is gone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Turtwig wrote: »

Still on Canadian and South American sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Loughc wrote: »
    Watching first episode now. Seems very paint by the numbers. Hope it improves.
    I love James Spader. Himself and Shatner were brilliant in Boston Legal. But this seems very meandering. I watched about four episodes and while it's watchable It's not something I feel I'll be investing my time in.

Meant to mention it before but The Machine has been added to the US Netflix. I've been looking forward to seeing it for quite some time and it's one of those films whose Blu-Ray has remained at around the 20 euro mark on amazon since release so it's nice to see it pop up on any service.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Turtwig wrote: »

This thing I read about films "disappearing for a week or two while deals are renegotiated and then coming back"

Does that happen always?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

No, most removals I've seen have stayed down for quite some time. Example, Classic Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures have been gone for the past three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are the Lord of the Rings films gone off netflix ? I can't seem to find them.

Threw on The Machine over breakfast and fell in love with it, it's one of the most striking films I've seen in quite some time and one of those low key science fiction tales that deserves a far bigger audience.

The premise here is rather straight forward it does subvert expectations and asks some interesting questions while exploring a wide range of themes, most memorably, just what it is that makes us human. Visually the film is gorgeous, and unlike most recent genre entries The Machine is a vivid picture bathe in deep red. The sanitised, clinical look that the genre has favored is wonderfully jettisoned in favor of an at times grim and gritty yet visceral world. Colour is brilliantly used to convey mood and it's rather striking to watch.

There's a wonderful evocative, retro 80s score in use and it manages to instantly draw the viewer in and remind them of all those great genre pictures of the 80s. The film is very much a throw back to a time when sci-fi was more concerned with asking questions than CGI. As such the film's most important element is the relationship between Vincent and the Machine, there's a vulnerability to their relationship that's a nice counterpoint to the harsh brutal world which the characters inhabit.

It would be easy to go on about the film but honestly, it's one of those low budget gems that everyone should give a go. it's not perfect and the ending feels somewhat rushed but The Machine remains one of the best films of the year and one which I'll happily pick up on Blu-Ray and revisit again.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    This thing I read about films "disappearing for a week or two while deals are renegotiated and then coming back"

Does that happen always?

Some stuff like Father Ted and the IT crowd stay gone for a few days then come back again. Other stuff stays permanently gone. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Yeah I noticed last night that Modern Family is gone from the UK/Irish Netflix, was just about to finish the second series! Doubt it will be back soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I Know That Voice is on the Canadian one, good documentary about people involved in doing cartoon and video game voiceovers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

CPSW wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed last night that Modern Family is gone from the UK/Irish Netflix, was just about to finish the second series! Doubt it will be back soon....

happened me with twin peaks. just vanished as i was getting into it

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Roquentin wrote: »

Booourns i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Ah ffs I wanted to watch that :( I also wanted to rewatch the League of Gentlemen, the feckers took that down too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The BBC & Channel 4 let there contracts lapse with Netflix & Amazon every now and then to get viewers in the UK ( Neither care about Ireland along with Amazon) to get traffic up on iPlayer and 4oD.

For American shows and films different studios do deals with both Amazon and Netflix so once it's contract is up with say Netflix the show/film will jump to Amazon for the term of that contract and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Threw on The Machine....

Which Netflix region(s) is this on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Which Netflix region(s) is this on?

American

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

it's just started on the sifi channel on upc/sky

Some older tv shows.

Seasons 1-3 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents added to Netflix US.

All 8 seasons of The Andy Griffith Show added to Netflix US.

All 7 seasons of All Creatures Great and Small added to Netflix US.

Newer tv shows.

Orphan Black season 2 added to Netflix Netherlands.

The Musketeers (BBC 2014) season 1 added to Netflix Netherlands.

Movies.

Skyfall added to Netflix Ireland/UK.

Ender's Game added to Netflix Ireland/UK.

• Advertisement

Aww bgger that I rented Ender's game on Google play less than a week ago!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭delboy85

Some older tv shows.

Seasons 1-3 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents added to Netflix US.

All 8 seasons of The Andy Griffith Show added to Netflix US.

All 7 seasons of All Creatures Great and Small added to Netflix US.

Newer tv shows.

Orphan Black season 2 added to Netflix Netherlands.

The Musketeers (BBC 2014) season 1 added to Netflix Netherlands.

Movies.

Skyfall added to Netflix Ireland/UK.

Many thanks for the heads up re: Season 2 of "Orphan Black".

All 7 seasons of the original series of Mission: Impossible added to Netflix US.

Sherlock Series 3 added to Netflix Netherlands.

Netflix Belgium starts on September 19th and it looks like a number of others regions will be coming along soon.

These include France, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg and Switzerland by the looks of it.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09/08/netflix-faces-headwinds-in-its-european-push/

Re: stuff disappearing from Netflix. They should have a "Leaving Netflix Soon" strip of titles on the Homepage to warn people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Just finished V on the Canadian Netflix. Another Sci-Fi I would recommend. Sadly it was cancelled so you have to be prepared for a cliff hanger ending.
    Re: stuff disappearing from Netflix. They should have a "Leaving Netflix Soon" strip of titles on the Homepage to warn people.

Ah but that would make a good UI decision which means they wont do it. Excellent service but terrible design decisions at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Do any of the Netflix regions have S2 of The Bridge yet? Really seems overdue at this stage.

It does on somethings. If I watch on my laptop using chrome it does, The PS3 does as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

This was the type of film that, if you were twelve, you would watch at least one hundred times. That said, it's not the worst and is watchable enough.

• Advertisement

It does on somethings. If I watch on my laptop using chrome it does, The PS3 does as well I think.

Really?

Doesnt do it on my tablet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement