Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Metro: The fall of windows or the best invention ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    You've highlighted right there what I think is the biggest problem with the new Windows/Office - the sacrifice of functionality for pretty effects (which I'd argue aren't that pretty anyway to be honest - especially in the case of I-can't-believe-it's-not-Metro-anymore)

As I said before, core software should not be subject to the whims of what's currently "cool" (as defined by committee no doubt) in my opinion

So who decides when it changes then? and to what... You are always going to have the lovers and the haters... Your opinion is not any less valid that someone who loves it and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,719 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dean_Mc wrote: »
    So who decides when it changes then? and to what... You are always going to have the lovers and the haters... Your opinion is not any less valid that someone who loves it and vice versa.

At what point though do we/they admit they've made a mistake (the million dollar question I suppose! :)).

While yes the performance increase is to be welcomed, the reaction to this new version has been overwhelmingly negative from all I've read and most of the reasons given aren't just guys with a fear of change, but rather an objection to change for change's sake - especially where those changes make getting your work done more difficult.

Win 8 will work fine on a tablet - I've no doubt of that - but what we know as the traditional desktop (which is where 99% of Windows users will spend their time) has been crippled as a result of MS forcing this Windows Phone/not-Metro interface on us. If it was an optional install during Setup, or could just be removed from Windows Components I'd have no problem with it.

But we'll see how it plays out.. I still think it'll come to a head when the OEM's start complaining about slow 3rd/4th quarter sales as a result of all this

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

At what point though do we/they admit they've made a mistake (the million dollar question I suppose! :)).

While yes the performance increase is to be welcomed, the reaction to this new version has been overwhelmingly negative from all I've read and most of the reasons given aren't just guys with a fear of change, but rather an objection to change for change's sake - especially where those changes make getting your work done more difficult.

Win 8 will work fine on a tablet - I've no doubt of that - but what we know as the traditional desktop (which is where 99% of Windows users will spend their time) has been crippled as a result of MS forcing this Windows Phone/not-Metro interface on us. If it was an optional install during Setup, or could just be removed from Windows Components I'd have no problem with it.

But we'll see how it plays out.. I still think it'll come to a head when the OEM's start complaining about slow 3rd/4th quarter sales as a result of all this

Most I have seen are cautiously positive, I suppose it depends on the circles you frequent. I am personally not going to call it a success or failure until the end of the forth quarter....

Do you want to know something evil.... I kind of hope it fails, the idea is solid but I felt parts of the implementation were lazy, the WP7 version of metro is much slicker and I feel desktop metro didn't look at user interaction enough... All it would take is one OS failure for Metro to get the fire up it's arse that it needs.

I don't think we will see a revert to desktop but I to see changes to what metro currently is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Most I have seen are cautiously positive, I suppose it depends on the circles you frequent. I am personally not going to call it a success or failure until the end of the forth quarter....

Do you want to know something evil.... I kind of hope it fails, the idea is solid but I felt parts of the implementation were lazy, the WP7 version of metro is much slicker and I feel desktop metro didn't look at user interaction enough... All it would take is one OS failure for Metro to get the fire up it's arse that it needs.

I don't think we will see a revert to desktop but I to see changes to what metro currently is.

I think it's far too early to make any kind of call on its reception, only Technet/MSDN/Volume Licence subscribers have access to the RTM version so far and the people who'll be trying it out based on such access don't have a great deal of overlap in terms of expectations and usage patterns with the mythical layperson. I'd agree that the end of the fourth quarter is a better point at which to measure its reception - let's see how it fares once everyone getting a new computer for Christmas has had time to make their mind up on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I can't see it being anything but a failure for the corporate desktop environment, it's not offering anything that windows 7 has not already covered and metro is a hazard more than a benefit.

What worries me is it looks like MS might try to corral the environment so everything eventually goes through their store. For gaming that would mean PC gaming basically goes down the road of meeting Xbox certification, this is them defending windows 8 for gaming:

“With Xbox on Windows 8, we created easy entry points into the types of entertainment that you’ll enjoy, including games. The Games app prominently features your avatar, profile, friends and Gamerscore and allows you to explore your friends’ avatars.”

f**k that, hopefully they crash and burn yet again. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Bambi wrote: »
    I can't see it being anything but a failure for the corporate desktop environment

Windows 8 is a pure consumer gimmick. They're still trying to convince corporate users to move from XP to Windows 7 (a few weeks ago I had to restore two workstations with Windows 2000 SP4, fancy that for a backwater office environment). They would not give Windows 8 Pro away for 70 dollar if they hope for a significant corporate market share.

"An App Store on your workstation? Over my dead body", said the sysadmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

unkel wrote: »
    Not everything ;)

Disk management is a feature I use a lot. In W8 it takes a right click with the pointer in bottom left and then just a single click (so 2 easy clicks in total)

You tell me how many clicks it takes in W7! (hint it is 5 :D)

Like yourself I also installed Office 2013 preview and I much prefer it to Office 2010. The smooth cell changes in Excel are sweet :)

4 :)

Click 1: Start.
    Click 2: Right Click Computer
    Click 3: Select Manage
    Click 4: Select Disk Mangement

• Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You've highlighted right there what I think is the biggest problem with the new Windows/Office - the sacrifice of functionality for pretty effects

Perhaps the pretty effects annoy a hardcore efficiency-driven user like yourself :)

The majority of Office users are office workers who are more productive when they find the look and feel of a product nicer. To be fair Office 2013 feels so much smoother and nicer to work with in the week or two I've been using it now. I never got to like 2010, in fact it is the only version of Office (and I've used them all) that I disliked.

fionny wrote: »
    4 :)

Click 1: Start.
    Click 2: Right Click Computer
    Click 3: Select Manage
    Click 4: Select Disk Mangement

I'll take your word for it - I don't have Windows 7 here anymore :)

From memory I used to go start -> ctrl panel -> admin tools -> computer mngmt -> disk mngmt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

P....I never got to like 2010, in fact it is the only version of Office (and I've used them all) that I disliked....

You prefer 2007 over 2010, first time I've heard that.

Perhaps the pretty effects annoy a hardcore efficiency-driven user like yourself :)

The majority of Office users are office workers who are more productive when they find the look and feel of a product nicer. To be fair Office 2013 feels so much smoother and nicer to work with in the week or two I've been using it now. I never got to like 2010, in fact it is the only version of Office (and I've used them all) that I disliked.
    To each their own I guess.. personally I think Office 2013 looks very washed out and "cartoonish" - in fact that's a good word to describe Windows 8 in general, from the log in screen to the oversized gaudy blocks that passes as a Start Menu

Give me Aero glass over that any day :)

Incidentally, I let a few users have a go at the Windows 8 test laptop I set up today without any comment from me. Although they were certainly curious, frustration and a sense of disconnect quickly set in as things that are considered fundamental basics are moved, hidden or not there at all.

None of them asked for it to be installed on their machines after playing with it either :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The users I tried with it liked the fast startup and the tiles. Tbh they just used the same apps as usual and didn't care after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,558 ✭✭✭✭briany

This new interface employed by Windows 8 will not work for desktops until screens are touch enabled as standard but even then, having to reach forward and touch the screen each time you want to do something is less efficient than the old point and click and potentially less accurate. It would, I think, be slightly preferable over the standard laptop trackpad though IMO.

Well, those of us who are dealing with other people's **** on a daily basis will have to get used to it, whether we like it or not. Windows 8 is here to stay and it will be on every new OEM computer. Sure, some will be begging on their knees for a "downgrade", but most users don't really care once they have found out how to get into their facebooks. ;)

Personally, I think MS have taken a very wrong turn, the moment they ditched the old Longhorn kernel (based on Windows 2003) and rewrote Vista from scratch, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Windows 8 might work better on a tablet/touch-screen device but they've been very slow to market. I mean the 3rd version of the iPad is out and MS have just announced the Surface with still no officially publicised release date or pricing available.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

BostonB wrote: »
    Do you use the default MS apps in Windows 7? I know I don't.

My Media Player is VLC for example....

No of course not.. I use VLC also. But not being able to watch something in the default player if another screen is clicked is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

It certainly sounds better but it wasn't the "ambitious aims", MS have caved to demands from the content industry. :D
    Plowman wrote: »

There have always been attempts by Microsoft, to "strip back" their operating systems.... Windows FLP or Windows 7 Starter are other such examples. The former being the fastest XP you could get from MS, the latter too crippled in it's functionality (user can't even change the wallpaper w/o hacks). Anyone remember Windows "Orion"? It was a leaked sneak peek, early Windows XP sans the "Fisher Price" GUI. ;)

I'd much prefer a basic operating system and let people choose whether they want the bloat or not. Great fan of nLite/vLite, you'd be surprised what can be removed from Windows without crippling it. ;)

Incidentally, I let a few users have a go at the Windows 8 test laptop I set up today without any comment from me. Although they were certainly curious, frustration and a sense of disconnect quickly set in as things that are considered fundamental basics are moved, hidden or not there at all.

None of them asked for it to be installed on their machines after playing with it either :p

I bet you didn't offer your users a start menu option, did you? ;)

Anyway what's the story with enterprise licenses? A few of ye here seem to be in that game.

For home users, a windows license or upgrade has never been this cheap.

For any user, home or business, windows has never been this fast. Or this stable. Or this quick to boot up. That's all I am saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

For any user, home or business, windows has never been this fast. Or this stable. Or this quick to boot up. That's all I am saying :)
    YOUR USING A 3.5GHZ QUAD CORE PROCESSOR TO BOOT A PHONE !!!
    OF COURSE IT WILL BE QUICK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

I would like to know how software competing with Microsoft Eg. vlc , firefox, and so on will have access to the windows 8 store
    Anybody post anything that i missed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

bpb101 wrote: »
    I would like to know how software competing with Microsoft Eg. vlc , firefox, and so on will have access to the windows 8 store
    Why would they need it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

YOUR USING A 3.5GHZ QUAD CORE PROCESSOR TO BOOT A PHONE !!!
    OF COURSE IT WILL BE QUICK

It's not a phone OS.
    Anybody post anything that i missed

I doubt Microsoft would block them access to it.

I get the idea of the app store on a tablet or phone where you want things to be streamlined but in a desktop environment it feels too dumbed down. It's definitely something to have in there if only to try but I think too many users will be hard pressed to migrate from the old trusted ways of obtaining software and media.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

briany wrote: »
    I get the idea of the app store on a tablet or phone where you want things to be streamlined but in a desktop environment it feels too dumbed down. It's definitely something to have in there if only to try but I think too many users will be hard pressed to migrate from the old trusted ways of obtaining software and media.

How is it dumbed down and why is the "old" way better? I think it's a great idea as long as they don't limit stop you installing software through other means. All software you purchase would be linked to your live account so you'll never lose the license key or the install disk. Plus if you buy a new computer or wipe and re-install windows, all the software you own will be sitting in the store under your account. If they make it so you can select multiple applications for installation, that would be awesome. Also, the store will handle updates so once an application needs an update, the store will notify you and you can download it through that. No having to check if there is an update, then going to the manufacturers website and download and install it yourself.

I'm looking forward to this (if I switch, still have tried out the RTM to check out the interface), I imagine it'll work similar to steam and I really like steam.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Anyway what's the story with enterprise licenses? A few of ye here seem to be in that game.

For home users, a windows license or upgrade has never been this cheap.

Win 8 Pro RTM is up on the volume licence system now, and I'm burning a DVD of the Win 8 Enterprise Preview as I type to see how it runs.

My current workplace is massively fragmented to the extent that in my department of 150ish people we can, by and large, run our own services (system provisioning, software deployment & support, inventories etc). We obviously make use of a few central services (network access, email/calendaring) but for most stuff the 3 person team of which I'm part is the main source of IT support.

I don't have the time or inclination to spend a massive amount conducting a test of all the various software packages that we use at the desktop or in lab systems to make sure it won't misbehave on Win 8. Even if I did, the same issue goes double for preparing a migration project to move users to Win 8. I'd do it for Win 7 now, because we've had time to comprehensively verify that it works well with everything we need to use and we've still got a bunch of people using XP or Vista dotted around the place. Win 8 can go hang for at least 6 months.

Larger, more structured enterprises take a similar, though more deeply entrenched view. The Big Corporate I worked for before moving to London ran a project in which I participated in 2006, whose goal was to migrate its userbase from Win2k to WinXP. That's how long it had taken for them to:
    • identify some version of XP that could be treated as a suitable replacement for 2k
    • test it to determine that it was free of complications
    • prepare a project for its packaging into the software management system, its deployment at the desktop, and the migration of the win2k users
    • obtain funding and contractor staff for the project
    • actually run through the months-long implementation stage for the project

Any enterprise on Win7 is going to look at win 8 and say "give it at least 6 months, possibly 2 years, and then we'll talk". That's before they even look at what benefits it brings, because the de facto costs are:
    • teaching people how to use it again
    • figuring out how to manage it
    • finding all the kinks that make it disrupt your productive work processes and fixing them

Any enterprise not already on Win 7 is using workplace tools that depend on ie6 and so is using XP. Extended support for XP runs out in 2014, at which point they'll be stuck - but that still gives them a year and a half in which to plan and deploy their new OS.

Shaving a few seconds off the boot-up time doesn't cut the mustard as far as "reasons to upgrade" go in the enterprise context (aside from anything else, the first thing they'd need to verify is that the benefits are still present when booting a domain-bound system which has to load a remote roaming profile). Neither is "It's stable, or at least has been in the few days I've used it" (because it's only been out a relatively short period of time, and anyway it's not like Windows 7 is unstable). The next thing they'd have to figure out is whether the benefit to the business of this improvements is actually worth the cost of the upgrade project, software revalidation, and user training that will be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Fysh wrote: »
    Win 8 Pro RTM is up on the volume licence system now, and I'm burning a DVD of the Win 8 Enterprise Preview as I type to see how it runs.

My current workplace is massively fragmented to the extent that in my department of 150ish people we can, by and large, run our own services (system provisioning, software deployment & support, inventories etc). We obviously make use of a few central services (network access, email/calendaring) but for most stuff the 3 person team of which I'm part is the main source of IT support.

I don't have the time or inclination to spend a massive amount conducting a test of all the various software packages that we use at the desktop or in lab systems to make sure it won't misbehave on Win 8. Even if I did, the same issue goes double for preparing a migration project to move users to Win 8. I'd do it for Win 7 now, because we've had time to comprehensively verify that it works well with everything we need to use and we've still got a bunch of people using XP or Vista dotted around the place. Win 8 can go hang for at least 6 months.

Larger, more structured enterprises take a similar, though more deeply entrenched view. The Big Corporate I worked for before moving to London ran a project in which I participated in 2006, whose goal was to migrate its userbase from Win2k to WinXP. That's how long it had taken for them to:
    • identify some version of XP that could be treated as a suitable replacement for 2k
    • test it to determine that it was free of complications
    • prepare a project for its packaging into the software management system, its deployment at the desktop, and the migration of the win2k users
    • obtain funding and contractor staff for the project
    • actually run through the months-long implementation stage for the project

Any enterprise on Win7 is going to look at win 8 and say "give it at least 6 months, possibly 2 years, and then we'll talk". That's before they even look at what benefits it brings, because the de facto costs are:
    • teaching people how to use it again
    • figuring out how to manage it
    • finding all the kinks that make it disrupt your productive work processes and fixing them

Any enterprise not already on Win 7 is using workplace tools that depend on ie6 and so is using XP. Extended support for XP runs out in 2014, at which point they'll be stuck - but that still gives them a year and a half in which to plan and deploy their new OS.

Shaving a few seconds off the boot-up time doesn't cut the mustard as far as "reasons to upgrade" go in the enterprise context (aside from anything else, the first thing they'd need to verify is that the benefits are still present when booting a domain-bound system which has to load a remote roaming profile). Neither is "It's stable, or at least has been in the few days I've used it" (because it's only been out a relatively short period of time, and anyway it's not like Windows 7 is unstable). The next thing they'd have to figure out is whether the benefit to the business of this improvements is actually worth the cost of the upgrade project, software revalidation, and user training that will be involved.

great post, and really explains what I think will actually happen in the business space when 8 launches.

How is it dumbed down and why is the "old" way better? I think it's a great idea as long as they don't limit stop you installing software through other means. All software you purchase would be linked to your live account so you'll never lose the license key or the install disk. Plus if you buy a new computer or wipe and re-install windows, all the software you own will be sitting in the store under your account. If they make it so you can select multiple applications for installation, that would be awesome. Also, the store will handle updates so once an application needs an update, the store will notify you and you can download it through that. No having to check if there is an update, then going to the manufacturers website and download and install it yourself.

I'm looking forward to this (if I switch, still have tried out the RTM to check out the interface), I imagine it'll work similar to steam and I really like steam.

I didn't say the old way was better just that people get used to doing things one way and know their way around it. The dumbed down concern is about the fact that the store would never and could never be as comprehensive as what you would be able to find across the web and if there's criteria for getting a piece of software on there, then users who use only the windows app store for new software could miss out on useful programs that don't get on because of a technicality.

If I ever get Windows 8, I'll use the app store for some things if it's got a usable interface but I won't be relying on it.

great post, and really explains what I think will actually happen in the business space when 8 launches.

Good post indeed, however, the situation was somewhat different in 05/06. Windows XP in its early stages was not by any stretch of imagination free of glitches (only with the launch of SP2 it has seen major improvements) and it was on the market for 5 years already. In the meantime, MS has ditched the promising Longhorn project (which had the potential for a very successful corporate OS) for something entirely different and it became apparent that businesses would have to wait at least another 2 or 3 years for a new operating system to mature. By then Windows 2000 would have been well past its sell-by date, hence the rather late move to Windows XP.

Microsoft has made it very clear, that there will never be such a delay again. Corporations will no longer have 3 years to monitor how a new Windows OS evolves.

• Advertisement

I bet you didn't offer your users a start menu option, did you? ;)

No, but there's a very good reason for that, which unfortunately I can't say here but it'd make perfect sense if I could :p

Advertisement