Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Metro: The fall of windows or the best invention ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    About the only integration I'd like that I'm missing is access to my SMS/MMS but even with Windows 8, I doubt this will be available on a desktop/laptop/tablet.
    Actually, if you have a Windows Phone, this is synced by default based on your Live account.

Any SMS/MMS etc. you receive pops up as an alert on your Win 8 Desktop/tablet too and you can reply directly from there.
    Fysh wrote: »
    TBH a RemoteFX enabled RDP client would be a better bet for at least half the stuff you're talking about. Or, I dunno, maybe some sort of cloud-based background and cut-down versions of those applications that could run on the handheld version of Windows that's being pushed so hard.
    Don't they already have that with Office 365?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Blowfish wrote: »
    Actually, if you have a Windows Phone, this is synced by default based on your Live account.

Any SMS/MMS etc. you receive pops up as an alert on your Win 8 Desktop/tablet too and you can reply directly from there.
    Oh so not only do I need to accept this oversized phone interface on my laptop and desktop, but I need to change my phone for an inferior tech version too?

(I'm being rhetorical) My point though is that I've worked in IT for 15 years and progressed from L1 tech support on the phones to my current role managing a team and our IT needs generally. Computing has always been a hobby as well as a job/career and I LIKE to play with the latest offerings for my Desktop and phones. I've also always been a big Windows fan since particularly Windows 2000 but even 98 was a big improvement on 95.

But Windows 8 (desktop or phone/tablet) isn't the next step - it's a consumer oriented knee-jerk to Apple's fortune making iPad. It's not about innovation.. it's about trying to grab some of that sweet iPad Pie. Why else do you think MS would be ignoring the concerns of their biggest customer - the Enterprise market - by forcing Metro down everyone's throat like this?

They are fully aware that many large corporations have only just finished the move to Windows 7, or are still doing so, and won't be jumping to 8. The fact that there's now so much "social networking" bloatware built into it proves it's not aimed at serious business - it's a toy, the latest fad but far from the Next Big Thing

Fysh already expressed another valuable point. As people who have to support and implement these things, I don't care if this single platform makes a developer's life easier and I also believe that developing based on the lowest common denominator (the rather poor selling, underdeveloped Windows Phone) is not the way forward - not least for the OEMs who will struggle to justify the expense of higher end machines to customers as a result.

Also, if they're intending to play in the phone/tablet market, does this mean there'll be a new Windows every 6-12 months now as that seems to be the current lifecycle of Android releases or even mobile hardware in general. Android is already suffering from fragmentation - do we really want that problem on our desktops too? (more than already exists with XP/Vista/7)

As I said in the Office 2013 thread (which I played with for a week and then uninstalled - not least because of Excel crashing out in simple files, and the washed-out hard to view interface generally), I don't think that core software like your OS and Office suite should be led by the latest fashion trend or what some developer/design committee thinks is "cool" - but unfortunately that's what's happened here and I think MS will live to regret it yet.

I think Win 8 will launch to great fanfare and in 12 months or less will quietly be forgotten as Win 8.5 (or Win 7 v2) is released with everything that should have been there (or maybe "shouldn't have been there" is more accurate!) in the first version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've had W8 on a laptop for about 6 months. Haven't had to use "Metro" at all.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    The Blue Screen of Death no longer shows as much technical information about the error that caused the computer to stop. Why do that? Granted the basic home user won't need such info, but I would.

The hardware requirements are good, just 2gb for 64-bit and a 1ghz processor.
    The STOP error screen has been severely dumbed down and even has a smiley on it, I kid you not. Sad Mac, anyone?

win8bsod.jpg

The hardware requirements are listed as the same as Vista or 7. In fairness it ran really well on my XPS M1330 when I tried it. I always found the same machine quite slow on Windows 7 x64 so I'm using the 32-bit version of Windows 7 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Karsini wrote: »
    The STOP error screen has been severely dumbed down and even has a smiley on it, I kid you not. Sad Mac, anyone?

win8bsod.jpg

:eek: I thought that was a joke when I read it above.. WTF - are we all 5 now?

Bet the first Service Pack changes all the notifications to txt spk so! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dean_Mc wrote: »
    We were talking about this in work. We use Trello for project management and having one of those super touch screens would be a great help... I'd say they are stupid money though!
    Certainly cost a lot more than a projector and kinect.

Minority report gloves would be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

RTM today :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Small irk of mine but am I the only person who cringes every time I see the god damn awful colour scheme that Windows 8 has in literally every single screen shot that you see of it.
    That awful turqoise/purple/sickly blue colour mix - makes me want to punch the screen any time I see a picture of it...

I'm assuming it's pretty easy to change the colour scheme but still - who ever is in charge of designing that colour scheme shouldn't be in a job :o It's really making me hate Windows 8 before I even give it a proper trial run.

I've had Windows 8 installed in a VM before this but never gave it a proper workout to test it to see what it's like to work with in a day to day situtation. Pretty much installed, used for 10 minutes and said **** off and deleted it striaght of the VM. So I'm going to give it one last trial run for a few days to see what I think of it and to see can I learn to use it. I had teething problems when I switched from Office 2003 to the 2007 with the ribbon interface but after actually giving it a go for a few days I loved the new interface. For some reason I'm not nearly as optimistic about this interface but I'm not going to fully condemn and bash it until I do try it out.

Currently downloading the preview again so thinking of giving it a small partition and a proper full install rather than just running it in a VM to be fair on it. But if I can't figure out how to change the colours of that Metro design it can feck right off again. :mad:

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Currently downloading the preview again so thinking of giving it a small partition and a proper full install rather than just running it in a VM to be fair on it. But if I can't figure out how to change the colours of that Metro design it can feck right off again. :mad:

As far as I know you can change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    :eek: I thought that was a joke when I read it above.. WTF - are we all 5 now?

Bet the first Service Pack changes all the notifications to txt spk so! :rolleyes:
    In my line of work, all my customers have the computer intellect of a 5 year old. so, yes. Sadly, the majority of PC users are intimidated by the actual technology behind their email and facebook machines

• Advertisement

Initial impressions after a few hours messing about... Who is going to like using this on a laptop/desktop?

"casual" users will hate it because its different - look at the outcry of people about timeline on facebook and thats a far less radical change in general design that metro is in my eyes anyways. It took me long enough to even find the shut down button and how to get back to the metro screen without resorting to Windows Key - type cmd - and then shutdown /s. Needed to google to find out how to do both with a mouse which isnt something I should have to do especially seeing as I'd call myself tech savy.

I don't like it so far because its trying far to hard to be trendy with "apps" for this and that. I havent tried to do a proper days work with it yet but I imagine I'm going to have to load my desktop with icons to avoid going to metro too often and thats a pet hate of mine - having a cluttered desktop.

I'll persevere with it for another while but can't see it improving much but I will give it a shot. I know what I've just said is basically what everyone else has said before but it simply doesnt have a real target market outside the touch screen and tablet markets. It just plan and simple doesnt work well with a traditonal mouse input, will scare off casual users for being too different and for tech savy people its just a pain in the hole to use even after figuring it out. I havent found any interface options that have made me say "thats handy" yet. Its all been trying to work around the interface. Alright rant over and maybe a few more days will help it but l'm not overly optimistic about that happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I installed Classic Shell which someone posted about on this thread a week or so ago. It's made Windows 8 very usable for me, I don't even seen Metro now at all.

I couldn't stand that Start screen. Also I installed Live Messenger but could I find the interface for it to see who was online? Nope. Metro looks nice but it's very awkward to use if you're using a mouse and keyboard. It really should have just been confined to touch devices only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

G-Money wrote: »
    I installed Classic Shell which someone posted about on this thread a week or so ago. It's made Windows 8 very usable for me, I don't even seen Metro now at all.

I couldn't stand that Start screen. Also I installed Live Messenger but could I find the interface for it to see who was online? Nope. Metro looks nice but it's very awkward to use if you're using a mouse and keyboard. It really should have just been confined to touch devices only.

Does that give the feel of 7 including the start menu or will it take you back to 98/XP?

Microsoft have completely lost the plot in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

stevek93 wrote: »
    Microsoft have completely lost the plot in my eyes.

Or if they haven't, it's terrifying reflection on where our society is at and going.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

gbee wrote: »
    Or if they haven't, it's terrifying reflection on where our society is at and going.
    It is?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

stevenmu wrote: »
    It is?

The suggestion that all computer users should be corralled into using a new OS with an interface and paradigm predicated on trying to capture the smartphone/tablet marketplace is to at least some of us pretty scary.

Most of my working life has been involved in enterprise-level support, either for a large corporate or for a large HE institute.

Nothing I've seen in the Win8 previews or that I've read about Office 365/2013 suggests to me that Microsoft have any useful idea of how to work more effectively or to provide new approaches to existing problems.

I know you've expressed an interest before in the idea of one device matching all your requirements, but TBH no tablet I've seen thus far has been close to offering what a laptop can offer performance-wise and unless something amazing happens with the first generation of Win8 tablets I don't see that changing. Which means that the usage scenario you're hoping, in the context of Win8, can only happen if everyone's hobbled with an OS designed to run on a high-spec smartphone (which, realistically, means saying "An OS designed to run on mid-level hardware from 3-5 years ago"). At an enterprise level, that's pointless to me.

Beyond that, I'm skeptical about the Windows Store - because while it might be able to act as a repository of sorts, I've not seen any talk about MS actively pushing this idea. They should be looking to buy the likes of Secunia (or pushing out an MS equivalent of the PSI), not arsing around trying to copy what Apple did years ago.

From what I can see, MS think that all they have to do is release a shiny Win8 tablet and they'll have the enterprise marketplace stitched up. This, to me, is very very wrong. What I've seen is that Apple have had 5 years to steal a March on Microsoft in this area by making consumers love iOS devices - which have now filtered into the enterprise & HE sectors to a staggering extent. They would, IMO, have been better off planning WinPho7 to be, like iOS, a smaller brother to Full Fat Windows but tie into the same back-end services.

Still, about 2 weeks and I'll be looking (most likely with dismay) at the RTM version via the Volume Licence centre and trying to figure out how long I can get away with not switching to it as my primary OS...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Fysh wrote: »
    The suggestion that all computer users should be corralled into using a new OS with an interface and paradigm predicated on trying to capture the smartphone/tablet marketplace is to at least some of us pretty scary.

Well I can agree it's scary, but I think saying that "it's terrifying reflection on where our society is at and going." is a bit of an over-reaction :)

Change is scary, but often it's both good and necessary. Windows 95 changed a lot, both within Windows itself and in pushing the command prompt to the back, people were scared of these changes but I don't think anyone would go back to DOS with Windows 3.11. People were scared when the Windows 9x kernel was going to be replaced with the NT one for consumer versions of Windows, but I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't go back either. There was all kinds of panic about Vista, about how DRM and TPM support would make it unuseable, how UAC would break everything, the new taskbar, search system etc. Vista was a pretty bad OS but not for the reasons people feared, and the new stuff it introduced like UAC, the taskbar, search etc all work great with Windows 7.

I think an OS needs to grow and evolve, or else it becomes stale and irrelevant. It can't just be a pointless update to run on our 5 year old desktops and laptops, it needs to be designed to work with whatever we are using in 5 years time. Although I'd expect that, like with many Microsoft products, version 1 of a concept is quickly replaced with a hugely improved version, and with Windows 9 we will see a hugely improved version of the Metro concept, that will make everybody happy. But Windows 8 is still a necessary step along that path.
    I know you've expressed an interest before in the idea of one device matching all your requirements, but TBH no tablet I've seen thus far has been close to offering what a laptop can offer performance-wise and unless something amazing happens with the first generation of Win8 tablets I don't see that changing. Which means that the usage scenario you're hoping, in the context of Win8, can only happen if everyone's hobbled with an OS designed to run on a high-spec smartphone (which, realistically, means saying "An OS designed to run on mid-level hardware from 3-5 years ago"). At an enterprise level, that's pointless to me.
    I actually got to play with one of the Samsung developer tablets with Windows 8 and Office 13 the other day. I was hugely impressed with it. Performance was excellent, it opened and searched a large outlook mailbox with ease, ran Word and Excel ever bit as well as my laptop, browsing the net was very fast and responsive (despite being tethered to my phone for connectivity). And of course general OS usage, browsing files etc was all very snappy. From what I remember they were Core i5 chips with 4GB RAM, plenty for most peoples needs, and don't forget that is a year old device. It certainly didn't feel hobbled :) Obviously a lower end ARM tablet won't perform as well, but that has always been the PC philosophy, a range of options to suit everybody's needs.

And it all worked really well with touch, I was easily able to navigate Outlook, read emails, tap out a quick reply, edit Word docs and spreadsheets etc. I know people are mostly concerned about how it works with a keyboard and mouse. To me at least, the sacrifice has been worth it to gain this level of touch functionality. Though I have to admit, from trying Win 8 on my laptop, I don't really mind it with a KB and mouse. I have to relearn a few habits, but it didn't take me long to start working as quickly and fluidly as I would with Windows 7.
    Beyond that, I'm skeptical about the Windows Store - because while it might be able to act as a repository of sorts, I've not seen any talk about MS actively pushing this idea. They should be looking to buy the likes of Secunia (or pushing out an MS equivalent of the PSI), not arsing around trying to copy what Apple did years ago.
    I'm skeptical about the store too. I like the general idea, but don't really know enough about the implementation. I don't know what they are doing around updates with it, but they would be missing a huge opportunity if they didn't put in something like PSI.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Well I can agree it's scary, but I think saying that "it's terrifying reflection on where our society is at and going." is a bit of an over-reaction :)

It's not how I would have worded it, but the Metro Windows 8 Style UI is a bad indictment of "shiny form over function" as a current trend, IMO. Not because touch-oriented interfaces are inherently bad, but trying to blat them onto everything is to miss the point quite badly (an issue made more perversely funny by Microsoft snidely dismissing Aero, the resource-hogging load of nonsense they inflicted on us in late 2006, as being old hat, as though the new UI won't end up being considered old hat in the exact same way...)
    Change is scary, but often it's both good and necessary. Windows 95 changed a lot, both within Windows itself and in pushing the command prompt to the back, people were scared of these changes but I don't think anyone would go back to DOS with Windows 3.11. People were scared when the Windows 9x kernel was going to be replaced with the NT one for consumer versions of Windows, but I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't go back either. There was all kinds of panic about Vista, about how DRM and TPM support would make it unuseable, how UAC would break everything, the new taskbar, search system etc. Vista was a pretty bad OS but not for the reasons people feared, and the new stuff it introduced like UAC, the taskbar, search etc all work great with Windows 7.

I think you're commingling two things there and muddying the issue.

Change can be traumatic if it's handled badly, but it doesn't have to be. The problem I think a lot of folks have with Microsoft's UI changes is that they don't provide any kind of transition mechanism, and in the case of the likes of Office they seem to be hoping that they can both change the UI and then charge for training courses on how to use the new product, which is so far from the way everyone else would approach such a change as to be mind-boggling.

Vista in particular is not inherently a bad OS, but was lumbered with a bad start and takes a fair bit of tinkering to get properly operational. Even at that, though, there were obvious good ideas present that you could look at as reasons to migrate - UAC being a good example, ie MS finally trying to start addressing security hierarchies properly.

In the same way, 7 is basically admitted by everyone to be "Vista with the bugs fixed". It works fine. But in the time since 7 launched, I don't see that the way people use non-touch computing devices has changed so much that the new UI is required, and frankly to suggest that people are too thick to handle more than one type of interface is to ignore the fact that all of us deal with a half a dozen or more computer interfaces on a daily basis - between your Sky Box or equivalent, your TV, a bank ATM, your thermostat and your mobile, it quickly becomes apparent that this argument is bollocks.
    I think an OS needs to grow and evolve, or else it becomes stale and irrelevant. It can't just be a pointless update to run on our 5 year old desktops and laptops, it needs to be designed to work with whatever we are using in 5 years time. Although I'd expect that, like with many Microsoft products, version 1 of a concept is quickly replaced with a hugely improved version, and with Windows 9 we will see a hugely improved version of the Metro concept, that will make everybody happy. But Windows 8 is still a necessary step along that path.

I actually got to play with one of the Samsung developer tablets with Windows 8 and Office 13 the other day. I was hugely impressed with it. Performance was excellent, it opened and searched a large outlook mailbox with ease, ran Word and Excel ever bit as well as my laptop, browsing the net was very fast and responsive (despite being tethered to my phone for connectivity). And of course general OS usage, browsing files etc was all very snappy. From what I remember they were Core i5 chips with 4GB RAM, plenty for most peoples needs, and don't forget that is a year old device. It certainly didn't feel hobbled :) Obviously a lower end ARM tablet won't perform as well, but that has always been the PC philosophy, a range of options to suit everybody's needs.

And it all worked really well with touch, I was easily able to navigate Outlook, read emails, tap out a quick reply, edit Word docs and spreadsheets etc. I know people are mostly concerned about how it works with a keyboard and mouse. To me at least, the sacrifice has been worth it to gain this level of touch functionality. Though I have to admit, from trying Win 8 on my laptop, I don't really mind it with a KB and mouse. I have to relearn a few habits, but it didn't take me long to start working as quickly and fluidly as I would with Windows 7.

I'm skeptical about the store too. I like the general idea, but don't really know enough about the implementation. I don't know what they are doing around updates with it, but they would be missing a huge opportunity if they didn't put in something like PSI.

The thing is, though:

the tablet marketplace that Microsoft perceive to exist is the niche where neither laptops nor phones really cut the mustard (the latter are too small, the former too big and require both hands). What you've just described sounds lovely, yes, but it is something that would replace a laptop, not supplement it. And have a price tag to match, and Christ only knows what in terms of support offerings.

The lower-end stuff like WoA is where it gets interesting, but at the same time performance concerns kick in and frankly I'd rather have seen WinPho8 ported across to that hardware and performing excellently (perhaps with the developers of Documents To Go brought in to help with the Mobile version of Office?) than what we're likely to get, which is more hardware that can run it in an ok but unexceptional fashion (reinforcing the whole "ugh, this OS sucks" aspect because MS insist on using retardedly low minimum specs).

In the context of my role, here are the concerns I have:
    • What's the battery life like, and can they be swapped out by the end user? (High power processors + full-screen multitouch interface + full version of windows = arse battery life, at a guess)
    • What's the cost like? (Unless it's substantially under a grand, it's price-uncompetitive with a laptop, especially when you factor in the docks etc that you need to be able to offer it as a realistic alternative to a laptop)
    • What's the support like? (Of the various reasons I regularly curse Apple, far and away the most prevalent is the turd-like nature of their after-sale hardware support. 1-2 weeks collect-and-return/"Go to the apple shop" turnaround time is simply unacceptable as far as I'm concerned for a warranty hardware repair, especially when other vendors offer NBD onsite coverage. If the iPad in the enterprise is the competition here, good support is critical. ANd that's before you get to things like Full Lifecycle Management and the like, policies which in my current place of employment require us to purchase only equipment which can be guaranteed to be fit for purpuse and warranty-protected for at least 3, preferably 5, years...any notion of refreshing the range every 12-18 months isn't going to work)
    • What's the benefit? (As with the iPad, I've had many arguments with folks about this. I can sort of see the benefit to developers, and to Microsoft, but what about for the people expected to buy it? "It's shiny" doesn't cut the mustard. "It'll impress clients" is a fair enough answer, but if it's a public relations/client relationship management issue then it comes out of sales budgets. "It lets me work on the go" however is a bollox answer, because a laptop would do just as well but likely have a better long-term lifespan).
    • What, if any, is the migration path? (Unless they've given substantial thought to people moving their existing hardware to Win8, they're stuck waiting on enterprise hardware replacement cycles and given both Win7's relative youth and quality and the feasibility of keeping hardware from the last 24 months running for another 5 years without a serious performance hit, that is unlikely to mean many make the jump).

There are probably more, but to be honest those questions are already enough to have me thinking "Switch to it as primary OS on the day of launch? **** no!"...

I'm told it's smooth, fast and stable. I was wrong predicting the start button would be in the final release. It is not.

Some very impressive changes since the release preview though. Programs are really morphing into apps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im very annoyed with the Release Preview:

Is there a place where its installable as an exe like the consumer preview was? Trying to get it running on a PC Tablet with no optical drive.

Overheal wrote: »

Is there a place where its installable as an exe like the consumer preview was? Trying to get it running on a PC Tablet with no optical drive.

Run it from a bootable USB?

Works grand, I've installed the release preview on several (mainly old) computers.

You do realise though that the final version of Windows 8 has arrived?

Overheal wrote: »

There's a program that you can use to make a USB key bootable. That might be an option if you have USB ports?

Link to CNET download

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Windows releases tend to alternate between new kernels and refinements of the previous version.
    That is why they alternate between popular and unpopular releases. The versions that have new kernels have compatibility problems and lots of teething problems. Then the next version is a refinement of that.
    eg: Windows 7 is popular and has the same kernel as Windows Vista. Windows XP is popular and [I think] uses a similar kernel to Windows 2000.
    Anyway - Windows 8 will be crap, Windows 9 will be Windows 8 made into something good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Windows releases tend to alternate between new kernels and refinements of the previous version.
    That is why they alternate between popular and unpopular releases. The versions that have new kernels have compatibility problems and lots of teething problems. Then the next version is a refinement of that.
    eg: Windows 7 is popular and has the same kernel as Windows Vista. Windows XP is popular and [I think] uses a similar kernel to Windows 2000.
    Anyway - Windows 8 will be crap, Windows 9 will be Windows 8 made into something good.

The main problems people have with Windows 8 have nothing (or mostly nothing) to do with the under the hood changes, those have largely been positively received. People just don't think the interface works well outside of a tablet or other touch screen device. So, it has nothing to do with the kernel. Also, anything that works with Windows 7 should work with the X86 version of Windows 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The main problems people have with Windows 8 have nothing (or mostly nothing) to do with the under the hood changes, those have largely been positively received. People just don't think the interface works well outside of a tablet or other touch screen device. So, it has nothing to do with the kernel. Also, anything that works with Windows 7 should work with the X86 version of Windows 8.
    Oh I see. That's because Windows 8 doesn't have a new kernel - I'd just assumed it had. It has kernel version 6.2. Windows 7 is kernel version 6.1. Windows Vista was the last new kernel - version 6.0.

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    There's a program that you can use to make a USB key bootable. That might be an option if you have USB ports?

Link to CNET download

One of the enterprise oriented functions I do think is a good idea is Windows To Go, but my testing experience of it says that unless the drive and destination machine are both USB3-capable, it's not really usable.

It's long overdue that Microsoft supported a portable version of Windows, though, so credit where it's due for implementing it. My big fear is that it'll be used to promote BYOD, an idea I loathe because rather than saving companies money it will simply transfer costs away from purchasing and onto support (who won't be given any support budget because "well, you're not buying anything, why do you need a support budget?" and other idiotic flights of non-logic).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Change is good. I remember clearly using DOS and Windows 3.11 frequently and then Windows 95 came along and it seemed so different. However my overriding memory of that now is that what made it successful was that it worked and seemed intuitive. Perhaps I'm looking back through rose-tinted glasses or I'm too stuck in my ways, but Windows 8 so far hasn't had the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

G-Money wrote: »
    Change is good. I remember clearly using DOS and Windows 3.11 frequently and then Windows 95 came along and it seemed so different. However my overriding memory of that now is that what made it successful was that it worked and seemed intuitive. Perhaps I'm looking back through rose-tinted glasses or I'm too stuck in my ways, but Windows 8 so far hasn't had the same effect.

Maybe they're planning a new coke, classic coke campaign :)

• Advertisement

Another problem of mine right now with Windows 8 is the bootloader - went for a dual boot with Windows 7 there last night to give it a proper trial run.. Computer now loads up everything Windows 8 related by the looks of it and then gives the screen for choosing which OS you want to use - it it a very nice looking screen I'll give it that, clearly touch screen orientated but anyway, but if I choose Windows 7 the computer basically has to go back to square one and do a complete reboot :mad:

It's now taking me twice as long to log into Windows 7 than it did before this as I basically have to load up Windows 8 before being allowed to choose Windows 7 which then needs a full boot.. absolute pain so it is

Advertisement