Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragweek thread time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

So anyone who disagrees with you is a child and you then curse in your last two or three posts, right. What do you mean by 'what you do'? I for one wasnt out on Wednesday night or any other rag week night, i just dont buy into any of this sensationalist rubbish. Who was terrorised? What 'gangs' were there? A collection of people isnt a gang in the way you are inferring. Please answer what i've asked if you would be so kind.

No dealing with idiotic childish arguments is like talking to a child. You clearly support what these student do and see nothing wrong with it. Seeing as your speaking on behalf of these people I assume your argument is the same as every other one cropping up ? "Its only a laugh" ? I assumed you partook in the events seeing as your so keen to validate them. I apologise, replace "you" with "they". Argument stands.

I'd imagine the staff at Supermacs were none too happy with having to deal with the scenes in the videos. I suppose staff in other late night take aways were subjected to the same. I dont think that female Garda liked being surrounded by 50-60 people shouting about how sexy she was. I dont think the Gardai in general care too much for having to deal with mobs of up to 100 drunks shouting and roaring lighting flares and whatever else they do when they disperse into smaller groups to house parties in residential areas.

A collection of people isnt a gang ? What way am I inferring ? You think I'm inferring that they are organised criminals out claiming territory ? Gang/Crowd/Mob all synonymous in this sense. You know exactly what I mean when I say gangs of drunken idiots.

I think I've answered your questions perhaps you could answer some of mine. Why do you think its ok for these students to behave in this manner ? Do you think it acceptable that people should be allowed to sully the name of the university, detract from those trying to protest the cuts in grants and rise in fees, waste public service time and harass people trying to do their job all because they want to have a laugh ? Do you think the fact that these students want to get hammered and act like idiots outweigh all those other things ?

niamhocxox wrote: »
    To be honest your post is quite offensive. There is 17,000 students alone in NUIG, how many were in the "riot" outside supermacs? A couple of hundred?

Throwing around a statement such as "You lot are so selfish and ignorant that you cant bear anyone pointing out the fact that what you do is so stupid and idiotic." is nothing but a reflection on you as a person.....

How is it nothing but a reflection on me as a person calling people who act in a selfish and ignorant way selfish and ignorant ?
    My iphone was stolen out of my handbag which was on my shoulder during the week but you don't see me going around blackening all students just because one low life did such a thing.

Where did I blacken all students ? I was talking specifically about those in the videos and those who partook in the "revelries".
    I myself was not outside supermacs that night but have you got solid proof of this terrorising you speak of?

Yes, watch the videos already posted in the thread.
    I certainly don't support what happened last week but think before you offend 17,000 students for the work of a few hundred....

Once again I was only speaking about those in the videos. If you took offence I apologies but I'm not aware I made a generalisation only commented on what I see in the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

Ive only posted in this thread twice, third time here, but I'm not posting again after this. Because IMO there's no point, there no getting through to People like mung bung just IMO

cork, athlone, Carlow, Sligo all had there rag weeks recently. The people that live in these areas don't seem to have a problem about rag weeks antics and I'm sure there was drunken rowdiness similar to Galway. Check their regional forums. Limerick is this week again no thread in their forum.

I cannot understand the likes of you mung bung. Anywhere where there is students, there will be drinking and messing. The people of these other towns and cities Seem to understand this and get over it.

You're not going to be able to change that and IMO no one is. So move on and get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

MungBean wrote: »
    No dealing with idiotic childish arguments is like talking to a child. You clearly support what these student do and see nothing wrong with it. Seeing as your speaking on behalf of these people I assume your argument is the same as every other one cropping up ? "Its only a laugh" ? I assumed you partook in the events seeing as your so keen to validate them. I apologise, replace "you" with "they". Argument stands.

I'd imagine the staff at Supermacs were none too happy with having to deal with the scenes in the videos. I suppose staff in other late night take aways were subjected to the same. I dont think that female Garda liked being surrounded by 50-60 people shouting about how sexy she was. I dont think the Gardai in general care too much for having to deal with mobs of up to 100 drunks shouting and roaring lighting flares and whatever else they do when they disperse into smaller groups to house parties in residential areas.

A collection of people isnt a gang ? What way am I inferring ? You think I'm inferring that they are organised criminals out claiming territory ? Gang/Crowd/Mob all synonymous in this sense. You know exactly what I mean when I say gangs of drunken idiots.

I think I've answered your questions perhaps you could answer some of mine. Why do you think its ok for students to behave in this manner ? Do you think it acceptably that people should be allowed to sully the name of the university, detract from those trying to protest the cuts in grants and rise in fees, waste public service time and harass people trying to do their job all because they want to have a laugh ? Do you think the fact that these students want to get hammered and act like idiots outweigh all those other things ?
    1: Any of the ones engaged in those activities are clearly young, immature and impressionable, i never said its okay to behave this way. My point is simply that the few people whingeing and whining should stop sensationalising what happened and making a mountain out of it.
    2: I dont believe they harassed anyone, as has been stated by one poster who spoke to a Garda at the scene they seemed to think it was 'a bit of craic', like most people would if nobody is hurt. I dont feel letting a flare off is detracting from either colleges name in any way.
    3: Students will always get drunk, if you dont understand that and come to terms with it then your head may very well explode eventually, its all part of student culture in every country i've ever been in and in many more. It doesnt make it right but its part of life.

One more for you seeing as you didnt answer when asked earlier by someone else, do you also call for the same measures during other events in Galway such as the races or VOR?

Nal wrote: »
    Ive only posted in this thread twice, third time here, but I'm not posting again after this.

cork, athlone, Carlow, Sligo all had there rag weeks recently. The people that live in these areas don't seem to have a problem about rag weeks antics and I'm sure there was drunken rowdiness similar to Galway. Check their regional forums. Limerick is this week again no thread in their forum.

As already stated Boards regional forums are not indicative of the public opinion of everyone in those areas. Listen to the radio stating during rag week and you will hear plenty of people in all manner of areas who have problems with the way some students behave.
    I cannot understand the likes of you mung bung. Anywhere where there is students, there will be drinking and messing.

You're not going to be able to change that and IMO no one is. So move on and get on with your life.

Theres drinking and messing every week of the year, rag week isnt just drinking and messing, its over the top and idiotic. I'm getting on with my own life thank you very much and in stark contrast to how your free not to respond to my post and not even to read it there are people who would like to get on with their lives without hundreds of drunken idiots tormenting them and creating extra work and hassle for them because its "rag week".

• Advertisement

As already stated Boards regional forums are not indicative of the public opinion of everyone in those areas. Listen to the radio stating during rag week and you will hear plenty of people in all manner of areas who have problems with the way some students behave.

Theres drinking and messing every week of the year, rag week isnt just drinking and messing, its over the top and idiotic. I'm getting on with my own life thank you very much and in stark contrast to how your free not to respond to my post and not even to read it there are people who would like to get on with their lives without hundreds of drunken idiots tormenting them and creating extra work and hassle for them because its "rag week".
    This is exactly my point about you and your ilk, now its hundreds, a while ago it was a gang. Exaggerations and sensationalism is very much the order of the day with you.

1: Any of the ones engaged in those activities are clearly young, immature and impressionable, i never said its okay to behave this way. My point is simply that the few people whingeing and whining should stop sensationalising what happened and making a mountain out of it.

You never said it was ok but do you say its not ok ? Do you agree with me that these people should not be behaving like this ? I answered your questions be so kind as to answer mine and not deflect it with a comment on them being young and immature.
    2: I dont believe they harassed anyone, as has been stated by one poster who spoke to a Garda at the scene they seemed to think it was 'a bit of craic', like most people would if nobody is hurt. I dont feel letting a flare off is detracting from either colleges name in any way.

You think hundreds of drunken students shouting and roaring and taking up Garda time and hassling employees of take aways with over a dozen arrested for public order offences during an unofficial drinking week doesnt detract from the name of the college in any way ? Wow.
    3: Students will always get drunk, if you dont understand that and come to terms with it then your head may very well explode eventually, its all part of student culture in every country i've ever been in and in many more. It doesnt make it right but its part of life.

I have nothing against a person getting drunk, I have been drunk myself on many an occasion. But I have never ended up nor felt to need to end up hammered drunk jumping on a table in Supermacs shouting and roaring or lighting flares. If I did I'd expect to be thrown out or into a cell for the night for being a drunken nuisance. Having 50 others doing the same shouldnt excuse it it should make it worse.
    One more for you seeing as you didnt answer when asked earlier by someone else, do you also call for the same measures during other events in Galway such as the races or VOR?

Of course, people should be discouraged from behaving in this manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

How is it nothing but a reflection on me as a person calling people who act in a selfish and ignorant way selfish and ignorant ?

Where did I blacken all students ? I was talking specifically about those in the videos and those who partook in the "revelries".

Yes, watch the videos already posted in the thread.

Once again I was only speaking about those in the videos. If you took offence I apologies but I'm not aware I made a generalisation only commented on what I see in the footage.

Its a reflection on you as a person because you said "you lot" ie students ie 17,000 NUIG students and painted every single student in Galway with the same brush...

Yes I did watch the videos, how are they proof of people being terrorised?

If you reckon you were only commenting on the people in the videos then fair enough but your reply to another poster made me think otherwise.

This is exactly my point about you and your ilk, now its hundreds, a while ago it was a gang. Exaggerations and sensationalism is very much the order of the day with you.

Great, pick one word and ignore the rest. Thats the issue I have with you and your ilk. Your incapable of arguing a flippin point, you launch into a defence of something you know is stupid and ignorant because you think its "having a laugh" then rather than try argue your point (presumably because you havent got a point just an opinion) you start picking out one word here and one word there, argue you never said it wasnt wrong, refuse to say it is wrong and try to deflect the entire thing.

Its a reflection on you as a person because you said "you lot" ie students ie 17,000 NUIG students and painted every single student in Galway with the same brush...

No you assumed I meant students, I was talking about those who acted in the manner of the people in the videos. I took the person I was responding to for one who was there given he was defending it so vehemently. Something I have already clarified and apologised for.
    Yes I did watch the videos, how are they proof of people being terrorised?

The employee at Supermacs looked pretty terrorised to me. I'd imagine its very intimidating dealing with mobs of drunken people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Nal wrote: »
    Look at the videos of Sligo rag week on YouTube. There just as rowdy as anything that happened in/outside Supernacs. Yet there isn't a thread in the Sligo section about rag week. But there's 10 pgs here.

Thats only because less than 30% of Sligo has electricity, and of that, just 13% of households are connected to the internet.

You never said it was ok but do you say its not ok ? Do you agree with me that these people should not be behaving like this ? I answered your questions be so kind as to answer mine and not deflect it with a comment on them being young and immature.

You think hundreds of drunken students shouting and roaring and taking up Garda time and hassling employees of take aways with over a dozen arrested for public order offences during an unofficial drinking week doesnt detract from the name of the college in any way ? Wow.

I have nothing against a person getting drunk, I have been drunk myself on many an occasion. But I have never ended up nor felt to need to end up hammered drunk jumping on a table in Supermacs shouting and roaring or lighting flares. If I did I'd expect to be thrown out or into a cell for the night for being a drunken nuisance. Having 50 others doing the same shouldnt excuse it it should make it worse.

Of course, people should be discouraged from behaving in this manner.
    Therein lies the issue, you think that being loud and raucous is some sort of crime and i do not so no i dont agree with you. They are well entitled to be loud and raucous and at the point it goes beyond that then the law intervenes. If as you claim the staff were being 'terrorized' and 'harassed' then id have expected a lot more arrests than were made.

Great, pick one word and ignore the rest. Thats the issue I have with you and your ilk. Your incapable of arguing a flippin point, you launch into a defence of something you know is stupid and ignorant because you think its "having a laugh" then rather than try argue your point (presumably because you havent got a point just an opinion) you start picking out one word here and one word there, argue you never said it wasnt wrong, refuse to say it is wrong and try to deflect the entire thing.
    No point deflecting and simply repeating exactly what i've just said to you!! My point once again, as you dont seem capable of grasping it, is that im against the complete over reactions, exaggerations, sensationalism and hyperbole being used mostly by you now and nobody else. Nothing bad happened, there were minimal arrests in a weeks worth of nights out, the way you tell it you would think Supermacs staff were taken to hospital or Gardai were sent home crying because someone said something funny to them? Id love to hear the reactions from Supermacs staff to it and see just how terrorized they really felt, personally if i was working there id have gone about my job and simply made sure nobody got behind the counters, anything else would be out of my hands.

Therein lies the issue, you think that being loud and raucous is some sort of crime and i do not so no i dont agree with you. They are well entitled to be loud and raucous and at the point it goes beyond that then the law intervenes. If as you claim the staff were being 'terrorized' and 'harassed' then id have expected a lot more arrests than were made.

Thats the problem, one person on their own standing on a table, shouting and roaring would be arrested. 4-5 guys doing it would be arrested. But cram that many people in there doing it then the Gardai cant manage it.

You honestly think someone is entitled to act in that manner ? You think they are entitled to go up to a female Garda and start singing and shouting "Who's the sexy Garda" ? Or stand on a table chanting in Supermacs ? You think these are entitlements ?

If not then why does it automatically become ok just because everyone is doing it ?

No point deflecting and simply repeating exactly what i've just said to you!! My point once again, as you dont seem capable of grasping it, is that im against the complete over reactions, exaggerations, sensationalism and hyperbole being used mostly by you now and nobody else. Nothing bad happened, there were minimal arrests in a weeks worth of nights out, the way you tell it you would think Supermacs staff were taken to hospital or Gardai were sent home crying because someone said something funny to them? Id love to hear the reactions from Supermacs staff to it and see just how terrorized they really felt, personally if i was working there id have gone about my job and simply made sure nobody got behind the counters, anything else would be out of my hands.

Your harping on about over reactions and hyperbole but your on the opposite end of the spectrum. Your glossing over everything because "It could have been worse", "nobody died" and then throwing out your own little sensationalist retorts like "you think the staff were hospitalised".

Your only against the sensationalism and hyperbole that doesnt suit your own view. While offering nothing but "nobody died" as your own argument. I'm done talking to you.

Your harping on about over reactions and hyperbole but your on the opposite end of the spectrum. Your glossing over everything because "It could have been worse", "nobody died" and then throwing out your own little sensationalist retorts like "you think the staff were hospitalised".

Your only against the sensationalism and hyperbole that doesnt suit your own view. While offering nothing but "nobody died" as your own argument. I'm done talking to you.[/QUOTE]
    lol, that is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

My iphone was stolen out of my handbag which was on my shoulder during the week
    I was just thinking what a juicy target a few hundred drunken people fixated on a flying flare would make for a pickpocket. It would be free money day for some of the gangs around and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭RINO87

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...................

in before the lock, i'd imagine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I was just thinking what a juicy target a few hundred drunken people fixated on a flying flare would make for a pickpocket. It would be free money day for some of the gangs around and about.

Unfortunately I was sober as I was driving, I was just standing in the queue for the nightclub with the handbag on my shoulder and across my chest. Phone was in a zip compartment in my bag, they must of seen me putting in there. Up to 5 iphones were stolen that night

Almost wish I was drunk when it happened now! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Clearly the Boss in Supermacs doesn't have too much of a problem with what went on

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0225/1224312372098.html

"Supermac’s founder and chief executive Pat McDonagh said: “Clearly, with a lot less money available, many were just enjoying themselves, and I’ve seen worse at venues involving much older people – with far less publicity about it,” he told The Irish Times."

I know what would put an end to all of this carry on - Drunk people should not be allowed into any Supermacs outlet..oh..er....um...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

scholar007 wrote: »
    "Supermac’s founder and chief executive Pat McDonagh said: “Clearly, with a lot less money available, many were just enjoying themselves, and I’ve seen worse at venues involving much older people – with far less publicity about it,” he told The Irish Times."

Why is so much discussion in this country based on *negative* comparison as *defense* for sh*te behaviour?

"I've seen much worse..."
    "So and so did more damage at this and that.." etc.

Surely by making a comparitve statement like this, people realise there was some bad to begin with?
    Why are we striving for *less bad* behaviour?
    I have plenty of mates who are students and think this behaviour was idiotic. By no means do these idiots represent the majority of the student population, but fact is they ARE bad PR for the college and general student population. I think harassing the Garda was worse, but, as another poster pointed out, there shouldn't be one rule for a 'mob' and another for individuals. If 3 lads were chanting and dancing with filthy shoes on food tables and poking up ceiling tiles, absolutely they would have been arrested if they didn't stop. Same should apply to any number. Don't think expulsion for this, but perhaps a final warning a least on their academic record. Oh and be made to work a month of post-club shifts for free at Supermacs - see how they like taking cr*p from morons in order to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24486-nuig-pledge-take-irresponsible-galway-pubs

A certain pub or two in town might have something to worry about, after promoting cheap drinks for a Rag Week that wasn't.

NUIG seem to be more and more concerned about their image, in an era when Colleges are 'rated' on all sorts of criteria.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

celty wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/24486-nuig-pledge-take-irresponsible-galway-pubs

A certain pub or two in town might have something to worry about, after promoting cheap drinks for a Rag Week that wasn't.

NUIG seem to be more and more concerned about their image, in an era when Colleges are 'rated' on all sorts of criteria.
    I like the way the article fails to mention any example of cheap drink promotions for RAG week.

Also
    The number of students arrested in the city last week (41) was actually ten more than during the corresponding week last yea
    There were only 4 arrests last year?

I like the way the article fails to mention any example of cheap drink promotions for RAG week.

Also

There were only 4 arrests last year?

I think you'll find that ten less than 41 is 31 :D

celty wrote: »
    I think you'll find that ten less than 41 is 31 :D
    lol woops - I meant 31. I thought there were like 25-30 arrested on the first day alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Is it really fair to blame pubs? I am NOT a pub supporter at all but who is forcing college students to get blotto?
    Personal responsibility,no?

barryd09 wrote: »
    Is it really fair to blame pubs? I am NOT a pub supporter at all but who is forcing college students to get blotto?
    May as well blame the unis, because without them we'd have no students. And everyone knows it's only students who behave like this!

lol woops - I meant 31. I thought there were like 25-30 arrested on the first day alone?

Taken from later in that article.

Public order arrests last week:

Mon 15
    Tues 6
    Weds 6
    Thurs 14

= 41.

Funny its actually up on last year's figure of 31, when there was a lot of publicity about the need to ban Rag Week. Now it's been banned, and there's more arrests. Go figure!

barryd09 wrote: »

Agree with you re personal responsibility, but I guess NUIG have a right to be angry with the pubs.

Their president called for Rag Week to be banned 12 months ago and last October the Students' Union agreed to do so in return for extra money for the student hardship fund.

You'd imagine, for them, that was job done.

Then they have to deal with just as much negative publicity this year, even though Rag Week's been banned.

They would feel they would have a right to object to pubs promoting 'College Week' or 'Social Week' events which start at 11am and involve getting blotto all day.

This is at a time when NUIG is slipping down international ratings, due to funding issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Are pubs to blame for non student people being blotto on a saturday night too?
    Pubs are open as early on a saturday, its all down to personal responsibility.

The 'ah sure i was drunk' line is overused far too much,its just accepted far too easily.

You drink the drink, in whatever volume,you are responsible, student or not.
    End of.
    Are people THAT thick that they dont realise drinking like a loon leads to court appearances, hospital visits etc etc?

Btw im not anti drink,just anti moronic gobsh1tes from all demographics.

Advertisement