Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragweek thread time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

dulpit wrote: »
    I think he was referring to the fact that the students were packed into supermacs, while other people outside had a flare, they generally made **** of the place and (bizarrely) sang IRA songs... :confused:

It was more of a chant than a song.

Besides every riot needs a chant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I suppose if they didn't damage Supermacs it would be grand, no harm no foul.

But why were they singing 'up the ra' and 'the huns are going bust'?! I wouldn't associate that 'type' with NUIG back in my day, have the points dropped across the board or something?!

I think this is an oft overlooked point. Rag week is rag week and I had my fun not too long ago but I do think Galway (both NUIG and GMIT) are taking a battering in terms of academic reputation as the city is becoming a beacon for brainless party hunters. Mass chanting of IRA and similar generic chants is always a strong indication of low IQ. I think NUIG is gone to ****e and the quality of graduates now emerging must be questioned.

On an unrelated topic, what is the deal with Donegal people and Galway? I think its actually insane the amount of Donegal people in the city. Not that its a bad thing but I am curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

BESman wrote: »
    On an unrelated topic, what is the deal with Donegal people and Galway? I think its actually insane the amount of Donegal people in the city. Not that its a bad thing but I am curious.

Well we wouldn't want to mess up our own lovely county... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Was gonna go to Dublin for college, might come here instead now it looks fun:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Might come as a shock but it isn't just students out for Rag Week. A lot of the problems were caused by, shall we say, local scoundrels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

BESman wrote: »
    I think this is an oft overlooked point. Rag week is rag week and I had my fun not too long ago but I do think Galway (both NUIG and GMIT) are taking a battering in terms of academic reputation as the city is becoming a beacon for brainless party hunters. Mass chanting of IRA and similar generic chants is always a strong indication of low IQ. I think NUIG is gone to ****e and the quality of graduates now emerging must be questioned.

I'm not so sure about that. All it takes is a few people to get it started, and when people are drunk they'll join in. I don't think the IQ of the entire group can really be judged on what they're doing while drunk.

People in those situations have to chant something, it's just what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

JustMary wrote: »
    Even I think that would be a bit harsh - what if someone gets arrested for something totally unrelated to college, maybe on the other side of the country. What if they get arrested, but the charge is dropped due to lack of evidence. Etc.

But the college could easily stop it, by having a bunch of assignment deadlines, terms-tests, etc.

When I was a maths student, we had compusory weekly assignments: they didn't even count to the final mark, but if you didn't get 90% of 'em in on time you didn't get to sit the exam.

okay, I phrased that incorrectly, of course they'd have to be convicted, and I was assuming the local Gardai would work alongside the colleges to identify the students. But moreso a case of making sure they know that the college aren't affraid to go to extreme measures to stamp out the problem.

(btw, exams/assignment deadlines during that week is also a good idea)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

But I do believe that Students should enjoy their college life too...It's probably the best period of your life so live it up. But just don't expect the country or your parents to pay for it

I don't understand this at all. I paid my own way through college- fees, costs, accommodation and what not, never took a penny from my parents. And it is a little offensive to see students quite regularly tarred with the same brush around here. This opinion floating around about the archetypical student getting drunk and engaging in anti-social behavior on daddy's/the state's finances is almost approaching mythical status at this stage.

By the way, I think a lot of what happens on Rag Week is absolutely disgraceful and I wouldn't defend it nor consider it remotely defensible. But plenty of students out there are hard working individuals who are absolutely entitled 110% to spend their money how they see fit, and if going on the piss for a week is how they chose to invest, that's up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Who's the sexy Garda? She is by the sounds of things! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

What kind of gobshíte posts rubbish like that ^^^^ on You Yube ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fireball07 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about that. All it takes is a few people to get it started, and when people are drunk they'll join in. I don't think the IQ of the entire group can really be judged on what they're doing while drunk.

People in those situations have to chant something, it's just what happens.

People get drunk everywhere.

It doesn't turn them into morons everywhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Lapin wrote: »

A gobshíte that knows that any video title that contains 'Galway Rag Week' will get a few views!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

ciano1 wrote: »
    A gobshíte that knows that any video title that contains 'Galway Rag Week' will get a few views!

That is crazy, I was a student myself only a year ago but that is just wrong. That guard only trying to do her job. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

fupping muppets and gards cant do ****e.

typical of this country, a normal force would have the resources to lock them all up and fine the ****e out of them .

This ****e carrys on because of the attuide of " tis grand boss "

Your a member of europe now , not a bog digger.

jased10s wrote: »

typical of this country, a normal force would have the resources to lock them all up and fine the ****e out of them .

Lock them all up, lock up everyone in that video?.

Because as during the recent London riots, which some people seem to be equating this week to, the Met Police arrested everyone.
    What the fcuk does this mean?.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Guards should borrow some water cannons of their colleagues up north :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

feckin freeloaders... Obviously they got too much money, time those pesky students actually paid for there education :pac::pac::pac: sure enough they'll be out with the begging bowl come buget time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ciano1 wrote: »
    Who's the sexy Garda? She is by the sounds of things! :p

Looks like she well earned her money that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Lock them all up, lock up everyone in that video?.

What are you going to lock them up for, what grounds?

:D This isn't a riot in London.

I've seen worse after a big football/hurling game on a Sunday.

FlashD wrote: »
    What are you going to lock them up for, what grounds?

:D This isn't a riot in London.

I've seen worse after a big football/hurling game on a Sunday.

Are you asking me?.

You do understand the context in which I made those comments?.(i.e. I myself was questioning the post I quoted.).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What the fcuk does this mean?.

I'll take a guess that it means "so stop behaving like the latter".

TBH, watching the vid I was thinking "where's the tear gas".

At very least, pictures,showing faces, should be taken and put on the internet, so parents can see how their money is being used. Some won't mind, for sure, but hopefully enough will.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Lapin wrote: »

from what I read on facebook earlier quite a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Are you asking me?.

You do understand the context in which I made those comments?.(i.e. I myself was questioning the post I quoted.).

Sorry, yeah just seen your question mark now, no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

426375_186989498076104_176629429112111_302916_1508475169_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

RE: garda vid

I dont understand it to be honest,
    Group of 20+ young men surrounding a woman and being verbally sexually aggressive towards her? you would call the Gards right?
    This woman happens to be a Gard and suddenly she deserves no protection from this harassment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:D So did we ever find out who the sexy Garda was?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

In fairness they behaved like a bunch of idiots. Most of us went out and probably drank too much in our early 20s but theres certain things you dont do like damaging property or harassing someone who is just doing their job. I thought the smart people went to college but now im not so sure....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Annoyed.com

yeehaw wrote: »
    The craic looks good. Fair play to them.

whats good craic about breaking up supermacs and lightin flares in erye square????????????????? if anyone else did anything remotely like that they would be all over the news and they'd get jailed and be fined but no just cause they r students nothing will happen them. im only 24 but i really hate students, the way they go on in shops and when they are out they treat everyone thats not a student like ****. the way they treat their neighbours by setting off alarms, making noise, and generally being a total nightmare 2 live near. im all for having a laugh and that when your out but what these so called ''educated'' people do is disgusting. if these people are meant to be ''our future'' doctors, nurses, guards, solictors then we are in for a even bleaker future than i thought. every other college around the country can have a rag week and none of this happens but it happens in galway cause busloads of trouble making scum from other colleges come down to galway for the week. if they want a rag week the colleges should hav a system that only people from galway colleges can attend galway rag week and the colleges can give them out a armband/bracelet to get into such events and then things would be better organised and anyone who causes trouble wont be allowed get a j1 visa. to people who are students this might sound extreme but you honestly have no idea what its like for the rest of us during ''rag week''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Annoyed.com

you can take the man out of the bog, but not the bog out of the man. and when i was looking at those videos on youtube another old saying went through my head you can lipstick on a pig but its still a pig, them students true colours came out while they were wrecking the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

whats good craic about breaking up supermacs and lightin flares in erye square????????????????? if anyone else did anything remotely like that they would be all over the news and they'd get jailed and be fined but no just cause they r students nothing will happen them. im only 24 but i really hate students, the way they go on in shops and when they are out they treat everyone thats not a student like ****. the way they treat their neighbours by setting off alarms, making noise, and generally being a total nightmare 2 live near. im all for having a laugh and that when your out but what these so called ''educated'' people do is disgusting. if these people are meant to be ''our future'' doctors, nurses, guards, solictors then we are in for a even bleaker future than i thought. every other college around the country can have a rag week and none of this happens but it happens in galway cause busloads of trouble making scum from other colleges come down to galway for the week. if they want a rag week the colleges should hav a system that only people from galway colleges can attend galway rag week and the colleges can give them out a armband/bracelet to get into such events and then things would be better organised and anyone who causes trouble wont be allowed get a j1 visa. to people who are students this might sound extreme but you honestly have no idea what its like for the rest of us during ''rag week''
    I see the over-reactions are still going strong on here.

Advertisement