Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragweek thread time

Options

Comments

What is it with the media and rag week in Galway. UCC rag week was on a few weeks ago and the place was gone wild for it but it doesn't even get a mention in the media and you don't hear people going around complaining and looking for it to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

The craic looks good. Fair play to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

yeehaw wrote: »
    This.

Supermacs must have made an absolute mint, their bouncers got to kick the crap out of a fair few students, everyone else had the craic. Everyone's happy really. Well apart from any clown who thought 'cancelling' it would do anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What is it with the media and rag week in Galway. UCC rag week was on a few weeks ago and the place was gone wild for it but it doesn't even get a mention in the media and you don't hear people going around complaining and looking for it to be cancelled.

The only mention I've heard of it anywhere this week is on this thread. Nothing on RTE, nothing in the papers. The GTI gazette is hardly mainstream media now. Can you provide links to any other media coverage this week?

Granted there might (and should) be a bit more coverage after last night's shenanigans in Supermacs, but the rest of the week seems to have gone fairly peacefully compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

There's going wild and then there's what happened in Supermacs last night.

That's just feckin' mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

In fairness, what the fúck were Supermacs thinking letting that many people in.

Asking for trouble.

I doubt they care either way though, still sold plenty of snackboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Joe Duffy mob won't like this carry on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

yeehaw wrote: »

Sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,264 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

churchview wrote: »
    Sad...

Students in having fun shocker...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cappichino

Oh to be young again without a care in the world !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Students in having fun shocker...

I had loads of fun when I was a student, drank far too much and never had to cause virtual riots. I made a mess of myself, not others.

Anyway, my "sad" reference was to the poster saying fair play to them, rather than to the students directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I suppose if they didn't damage Supermacs it would be grand, no harm no foul.

But why were they singing 'up the ra' and 'the huns are going bust'?! I wouldn't associate that 'type' with NUIG back in my day, have the points dropped across the board or something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Someone posted a vid in NUIG about a flare being lit in a crowd outside Suprmacs (where else...), looks pretty dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E7e59pwrUM

I can only hope that the culprits are caught and punished severly. Could have done some serious damage to someone:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 starbucks.

the college went about it the wrong way by cancelling it, because all it has done has pushed it all into town. they should have tried to make people want to stay and drink in the college bar and have more stuff on in the college. Problem with recent years isnt the student, its having the kids in leaving cert and random scumbags who jump on the band wagon, but getting rid of rag week alltogether has just resulted in a gmit+nuig fake ragweek non of which stays on campus

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

starbucks. wrote: »
    the college went about it the wrong way by cancelling it, because all it has done has pushed it all into town. they should have tried to make people want to stay and drink in the college bar and have more stuff on in the college. Problem with recent years isnt the student, its having the kids in leaving cert and random scumbags who jump on the band wagon, but getting rid of rag week alltogether has just resulted in a gmit+nuig fake ragweek non of which stays on campus

and its also brought less accountability to the whole thing, when things go badly

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Surely any pubs running events or promotions which abet this behaviour should be held responsible?

And the university should still act on expelling any students arrested in the fracas.

Edit - why can't our students be more like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMsydvwtrRE

Slightly surreal though?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Amazing how people who can afford to be locked out of their minds at 3 in the morning outside Supermac's, roaring their heads off in celebration cos some idiot let off a flare, can be the paragons of virtue we see complaining about college fees and the financial hardships they have to endure.

I do think the particular pub that advertised a piss-up starting at 11am on a Tuesday, which later that day had to be shut down by Gardai, should be penalised in some way for actually trying to take advantage of the 'official' Rag Week being cancelled this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

celty wrote: »

I do think the particular pub that advertised a piss-up starting at 11am on a Tuesday, which later that day had to be shut down by Gardai, should be penalised in some way for actually trying to take advantage of the 'official' Rag Week being cancelled this year.

Pub trying to make money during a recession? :eek:
    Somebody call Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

celty wrote: »
    Amazing how people who can afford to be locked out of their minds at 3 in the morning outside Supermac's, roaring their heads off in celebration cos some idiot let off a flare, can be the paragons of virtue we see complaining about college fees and the financial hardships they have to endure.

Yawn!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This.

Supermacs must have made an absolute mint, their bouncers got to kick the crap out of a fair few students, everyone else had the craic. Everyone's happy really. Well apart from any clown who thought 'cancelling' it would do anything.

Any profits Supermac's made will be spent on fixing the ceiling and cleaning up the place.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Any profits Supermac's made will be spent on fixing the ceiling and cleaning up the place.
    Im sure they were very much well cleaned up by the time they opened this morning. When i was 18/19/20 every night ended up outside Supermacs with th swathes of other young people, there were plenty of fights there down the years, plenty of arrests too. Its all part of these people growing up. People would really want to just get over it with the over reactions. Not aiming it at you Mars Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

I would love for the guards to arrest some of the students for staring the riots. Are they not meant to be manture people at there age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

cena wrote: »
    I would love for the guards to arrest some of the students for staring the riots. Are they not meant to be manture people at there age

Pretty tame riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,968 ✭✭✭cena

Pretty tame riot.

so it may have been but thats not the point. But supermacs should better than letting the place over fill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Looked good craic last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Do people live above any of those shops I wonder?

I pity any visitors to Galway who happened to be staying in the Imperial this week....

Do people live above any of those shops I wonder?

I pity any visitors to Galway who happened to be staying in the Imperial this week....
    There are no apartments in the Supermacs part of the square so you can sleep sound in that knowledge.

cena wrote: »
    Mature students are mature, 18/19 year olds tend not be very mature, way of the world really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Fair headin for the next rag week,

looks like some buzz

Advertisement