Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ragweek thread time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

you can take the man out of the bog, but not the bog out of the man. and when i was looking at those videos on youtube another old saying went through my head you can lipstick on a pig but its still a pig, them students true colours came out while they were wrecking the place
    What did they wreck? Please explain this because as far as i know nothing was wrecked, people sang loudly, jumped around, and let a flare off. Is there something you saw them wrecking that nobody else has seen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Annoyed.com

I see the over-reactions are still going strong on here.

its not an over reaction, why should they be allowed wreck eyre square and nothing happen to them????? :confused::mad:

its not an over reaction, why should they be allowed wreck eyre square and nothing happen to them????? :confused::mad:
    I'll ask you again,what was wrecked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Annoyed.com

I'll ask you again,what was wrecked?

they wrecked supermacs burned a few things in there, lit fires around eyre square.

they wrecked supermacs burned a few things in there, lit fires around eyre square.
    Supermacs was open as normal the next morning so im gonna say that NO they didn't wreck it, they simply acted like a drunk mob in there, big difference. Where in the Square were the fires, didnt notice any burnt areas the morning after and didnt hear of the Fire Brigade being called up that night either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Annoyed.com, the .com is for emphasis, right?.

Or, are you promoting your mental health website?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

if they want a rag week the colleges should hav a system that only people from galway colleges can attend galway rag week and the colleges can give them out a armband/bracelet to get into such events

An armband to get into Eyre Square/Supermacs?
    LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No they didn't? Read what Pat McDonagh said in the Irish Times yesterday, he's seen a lot worse. I'm sure he's delighted with the fortune he made on Wednesday night, and fair play to him. 1 flare was lit outside, the perpretrator was arrested, that's it dealt with.

Don't go tarring all students with the same brush. It's like me calling all 24 year olds unemployed, lazy fools who sponge off the dole, purely because I know a few who do this. Chill the beans like!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    It's like me calling all 24 year olds unemployed, lazy fools who sponge off the dole....

But...................... Surely.....................But.............

............................Aren't they ?
    ...................................Its outrageous Joe

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Don't go tarring all students with the same brush. It's like me calling all 24 year olds unemployed, lazy fools who sponge off the dole, purely because I know a few who do this. Chill the beans like!

I think the 24 year olds who do work wouldn't care what you think. For some reason if you criticize the sacred University it means your head. I don't get it. All the colleges in Galway are terrible and yes I'm sure it was a minority who acted out last week but it looks like a pretty sizable and vocal minority in fairness.

Suspensions and stop the doles of anybody caught knocking off roof tiles, jumping around the Garda, jumping on tables, tearing open bin bags and throwing them around or being particularly abusive or vocal. The least that could be done would be to use the video and retroactively make drunk and disorderly arrests. I'm pretty sure a student who gets a record can legally be suspsended or expelled through the code of conduct.

But then what do I care, I don't live there anymore. I'd like for Galway to be the best it could be but from my many years living there in the city itself the drunken morons will prevail. If you don't like it, get out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

I see its act like an animal week again. Pics and vids should be scoured and when a person identified expelled from the college. Plenty of mature students looking for places that know how to behave like civilised human beings. Utter waste of resources educating these bunch of clowns.

Whatever you think of their behavior, you can not expel someone for jumping around Eyre Sq.

As a matter of fact, you couldn't expel them for assaulting someone in Eyre Sq if this was the case.

If it doesn't happen on college grounds then it's not a college problem, its a matter for the Gardai if anyone.

I'm sure if they expelled you, you could bring them to court and ask why Tom who was arrested in Jan wasn't expelled either.

You can't have a designated week where anyone attending college arrested is expelled from Uni, whereas the other 51 weeks are fair game.

The issue starts and stops with the Gardai and the courts.

You can't have a designated week where anyone attending college arrested is expelled from Uni, whereas the other 51 weeks are fair game.

The issue starts and stops with the Gardai and the courts.

So enforce it all year round, if they can be arrested for being drunk and disorderly in public then why can the college not expel them for being drunk and disorderly and bringing the name of the college into disrepute ?

You think the colleges should be associated with these people and how they act and the trouble they cause ? If its students of NUIG organising and gathering en masse in drunken mobs in the town centre as part of "NUIG RAG week" as I see stamped all over everything to do with this then it most certainly is a college problem and they should be doing more to discourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

If it doesn't happen on college grounds then it's not a college problem, its a matter for the Gardai if anyone.

This is not true - the Code of Conduct covers "Any behaviour that could damage the good name or standing of the University". I, for one, am sick of the whole bloody lot of them. I hope the University calls every last one of the silly little boys and girls to account for themselves and expels the lot of them. They have no consideration for anyone else living in Galway. That female Garda on the youtube video must have been so intimidated and upset. They need to grow up and pay up for the damage they cause! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

MungBean wrote: »
    So enforce it all year round, if they can be arrested for being drunk and disorderly in public then why can the college not expel them for being drunk and disorderly and bringing the name of the college into disrepute ?
    They can indeed punish students, I know of a couple that have been fined for being drunk and disorderly in a residential neighbourhood. They can be expelled too.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    They can indeed punish students, I know of a couple that have been fined for being drunk and disorderly in a residential neighbourhood. They can be expelled too.

They should crack down hard this year and review all the footage and complaints. Start handing out hefty fines for those found to be party to the mobs and expel those they find to have been involved in causing any damage.

They should crack down hard this year and review all the footage and complaints. Start handing out hefty fines for those found to be party to the mobs and expel those they find to have been involved in causing any damage.
    The complaints of people on boards is it?

The complaints of people on boards is it?

The complaints of decent people living and working in and around the areas where the animals decided to congregate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The complaints of decent people living and working in and around the areas where the animals decided to congregate.

Thats a tad harsh.

I don't know of any animal who makes a concious decision to get as pissed as possible and make a complete tit of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Right so and this effort will be employed 1 week of the year; or all throughout the year?.

Do you propose the same approach race week and the week that the VOR comes to town.

Anyone found in a group in excess of 30 people and singing/shouting fine them and expel them from their place of work/study?.

• Advertisement

But sure who are these people? I havent heard of any groundswell of people who are all for this. If students or anyone causes criminal damage or assaults someone then they are at the mercyof the law. However, if people on a night out make noise and jump around thats hardly a crime, get a grip.

Right so and this effort will be employed 1 week of the year; or all throughout the year?.

Do you propose the same approach race week and the week that the VOR comes to town.

Anyone found in a group in excess of 30 people and singing/shouting fine them and expel them from their place of work/study?.

Already answered this.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

Is it just me or do the people of Galway have a serious issue with the students of NUIG/GMIT

Look at the videos of Sligo rag week on YouTube. There just as rowdy as anything that happened in/outside Supernacs. Yet there isn't a thread in the Sligo section about rag week. But there's 10 pgs here.

I think the only people who are complaining are those with simply nothing better to be doing. Wake up to yourselves, if it wasn't for the 2 colleges, Galway wouldn't be half as lively and vibrant city.

If that flare video hadnt made YouTube, there wouldn't have been a word about it. The hyperbole and over reactions in this thread are ludicrous!

There are 16 pages in the UL forum about how people are going to spend and enjoy rag week, yet not a word of people complaining in the limerick forum. At cork rag week I heard stories that are 10 times worse than a flare been lit and a bit of singing.

Wednesday night, I said to a guard outside supremacs, "Jesus, you've a job on your hands" his reply? "sure it's only a bit of Craic" sums it up for me tbh.

The misers that complain maybe need to get out of there dark room, stop reading sensationalist ****e that the likes of the gazette wrote and have some fun.

Nal wrote: »
    Is it just me or do the people of Galway have a serious issue with the students of NUIG/GMIT

Look at the videos of Sligo rag week on YouTube. There just as rowdy as anything that happened in/outside Supernacs. Yet there isn't a thread in the Sligo section about rag week. But there's 10 pgs here.

I think the only people who are complaining are those with simply nothing better to be doing. Wake up to yourselves, if it wasn't for the 2 colleges, Galway wouldn't be half as lively and vibrant city.

If that flare video hadnt made YouTube, there wouldn't have been a word about it. The hyperbole and over reactions in this thread are ludicrous!

People who complain are people with nothing better to be doing ? Like what ? Getting hammered and jumping up and down on a table shouting like a spastic ? lol

Its the clowns in the videos who need to get a grip and grow the fcuk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

People who complain are people with nothing better to be doing ? Like what ? Getting hammered and jumping up and down on a table shouting like a spastic ? lol

Its the clowns in the videos who need to get a grip and grow the fcuk up.

People jumping up and down on tables? Wow! ****ing hell! Put them in jail now, the criminals!!'

It's just aswell the likes of you don't live in a big city centre like Dublin, London etc, then you'd know about it. Rag week more or less 365 days of the year. Good god, a bit of singing and a flare, jumping on tables and you're crying!

People jumping up and down on tables? Wow! ****ing hell! Put them in jail now, the criminals!!'

This is like talking to a child. I'm sure you see nothing wrong in crowds of up to a hundred drunken idiots roaring and shouting and terrorising people trying to earn an honest living. Anything to justify "having a laugh" that whats its all about isnt it ? You lot are so selfish and ignorant that you cant bear anyone pointing out the fact that what you do is so stupid and idiotic.

There's a different between "vibrant" and "gangs of screaming drunken idiots" too. The city will be vibrant without rag week. Just because there are a lot of students in the city doesnt give some of them the right to behave like fcukin animals.

Ya i mean the chilling and calculated criminal actions they undertook have clearly frightened and shocked the masses to the point where 3 or 4 people on boards are speaking for us all now.:rolleyes:

This is like talking to a child. I'm sure you see nothing wrong in crowds of up to a hundred drunken idiots roaring and shouting and terrorising people trying to earn an honest living. Anything to justify "having a laugh" that whats its all about isnt it ? You lot are so selfish and ignorant that you cant bear anyone pointing out the fact that what you do is so stupid and idiotic.

There's a different between "vibrant" and "gangs of screaming drunken idiots" too. The city will be vibrant without rag week. Just because there are a lot of students in the city doesnt give some of them the right to behave like fcukin animals.
    So anyone who disagrees with you is a child and you then curse in your last two or three posts, right. What do you mean by 'what you do'? I for one wasnt out on Wednesday night or any other rag week night, i just dont buy into any of this sensationalist rubbish. Who was terrorised? What 'gangs' were there? A collection of people isnt a gang in the way you are inferring. Please answer what i've asked if you would be so kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

To be honest your post is quite offensive. There is 17,000 students alone in NUIG, how many were in the "riot" outside supermacs? A couple of hundred?

Throwing around a statement such as "You lot are so selfish and ignorant that you cant bear anyone pointing out the fact that what you do is so stupid and idiotic." is nothing but a reflection on you as a person.....

My iphone was stolen out of my handbag which was on my shoulder during the week but you don't see me going around blackening all students just because one low life did such a thing.

I myself was not outside supermacs that night but have you got solid proof of this terrorising you speak of?

I certainly don't support what happened last week but think before you offend 17,000 students for the work of a few hundred....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

interesting to note all the people who appear on here at rag week time to post!!
    were are ye the rest of the year?!

This years rag week was alot better behaved then the previous years.

the flare thing was dangerous and stupid but the other stuff was harmless imo.

Advertisement