Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

Spotted KN Networks laying fibre cable in Cork today. In Bishopstown, on the junction between Curraheen Road and Hawkes Road..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm confused .. I added a couple in Bray recently, just went to add a few more, and I can't find them any more. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong map, I had some trouble finding the link again lost in the past gazillion posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Alun wrote: »
    I'm confused .. I added a couple in Bray recently, just went to add a few more, and I can't find them any more. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong map, I had some trouble finding the link again lost in the past gazillion posts.

They are on Page.3 :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Found this today by Morrison's Pub in Limerick. It's borderline Castletroy/Crossagalla Exchange but i'm assuming Castletroy as it's higher up the rollout phase.

Added to map.

Cab.png

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Couldn't manage to update the map but there is one in Clonsilla D15 between Limelawn and Aspen estates.
    Red X marks the spot - it's on the far (Limelawn) side of the fence. They dug up quite a bit of path in Aspen when installing it.

246979.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Codpeas wrote: »
    Couldn't manage to update the map but there is one in Clonsilla D15 between Limelawn and Aspen estates.
    Red X marks the spot - it's on the far (Limelawn) side of the fence. They dug up quite a bit of path in Aspen when installing it.

246979.GIF

That's an odd place to put it. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

246979.GIF

That'll be crashed in to within a few months no doubt! :rolleyes: One thing eircom seems to lack sometimes is common sense.

That'll be crashed in to within a few months no doubt! :rolleyes: One thing eircom seems to lack sometimes is common sense.

To be clear - it's on the grass side of the railings so has protection. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Magnet also started the to advertise FTTC: https://www.magnet.ie/fatpipe-fibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

chriss745 wrote: »
    Magnet also started the to advertise FTTC: https://www.magnet.ie/fatpipe-fibre/

Based on their website it seems it will be contract and phone free and as always from Magnet, truly unlimited. That is the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Tonio

Two crews spotted in Midleton this morning laying the orange subduct. One on the relief road near the railway bridge and the other on the Mill road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Richard , I am trying to follow these and mark them. The one 'opposite the jail' is it where these phones boxes were??

http://goo.gl/maps/Axf1D

I am not getting very far. Can you do this trick. Click here

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,558314,656963,7,10

Just move the mouse to the point where the cab is...you see a pair of numbers changing bottom left of screen, no click required just jiggy the mouse over the cab location.

NOTE the numbers shown when the tip of the arrow is over the cab location eg

558313,656963 is where the little red X is in this link.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,558314,656963,7,10

So one line per cab like so.

558313,656963 Garryowen Road Cabinet
    558123,656456 Cabinet Opposite St Johns

I can bulk convert these OSI co ordinates to markers and then into the map.

Regards

SB
    Pics of the cabs around Limerick, I didn't have to look too hard to find cabs I didn't see before. There are two sets of cabs in Garryowen, one right across from Garryowen Stores (pic incl) and not shown another set of cabs a good bit down the road on a grass area.

There is a cab right outside St. Johns Hospital + another cab outside that childrens school just up from St. Johns Cathedral. Last pic is the one outside the school. First two are right on the corner of Tubs and tiles. Third pic is the cab just across from Limerick jail, right down from the further education college. Fourth pic is the Garryowen Stores.

Getting a link in Google Maps is easy.

When you have found the spot see the little chain icon near top left of streetview it looks like

copy that link and paste it in here instead of the screenshot, it contains the data needed to map off
    247087.png

EG

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=limelawn+clonsilla&hl=en&ll=53.384378,-6.405137&spn=0.005414,0.016243&sll=52.742943,-8.629761&sspn=0.351671,1.039581&hnear=Limelawn+Rise,+Dublin+15,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=53.38423,-6.405156&panoid=mKMSmyEjvoF4utjHwZaIZw&cbp=12,139.9,,0,0

246979.GIF

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    copy that link and paste it in here instead of the screenshot, it contains the data needed to map off

Something like:
    http://www.google.ie/maps?q=53.383526,+-6.405689&hl=en&ll=53.383538,-6.405808&spn=0.000666,0.001206&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=10.872718,19.753418&t=h&z=20

Perfect , the link contains the location 53.383526, -6.405689 which is all we need.

The Blanchardstown exchange is the largest single exchange in Ireland ( by a clear margin) and covers Castleknock Clonsilla Ongar Carpenterstown Blanchardstown and Mulhuddart so you may well find many 10s of cabs in that general area once you spot the first one. :)

Just bang in a streetview link and a short description and that will suffice. I or someone else can mark them off that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What do you mean? Its no less exposed than the box to the left?

Could someone advise me please? I bought one of these in January:

7rq5de.jpg

Will it work with the Eircom fibre broadband (if it ever comes to fruition)? I never got round to setting it up. Heck I'm not even sure it works with my current service since it says "BT connections" at the top right!!! Just wanted to know in order to get myself over to adverts.ie ASAP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Could someone please advise me please? I bought one of these in January:

7rq5de.jpg

Will it work with the Eircom fibre broadband (if it ever comes to fruition)? Heck I'm not even sure it works with my current service since it says "BT connections" at the top right!!! Just wanted to know in order to get myself over to adverts.ie ASAP.

It will work with your current connection but if you go with the new fibre packages it won't.

Smashing mate thanks....I'll get it listed then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Could someone please advise me please? I bought one of these in January:

7rq5de.jpg

Will it work with the Eircom fibre broadband (if it ever comes to fruition)? Heck I'm not even sure it works with my current service since it says "BT connections" at the top right!!! Just wanted to know in order to get myself over to adverts.ie ASAP.

No, it won't that's an ADSL2+ modem. It will just work with ADSL/ADSL 2+ connections.

Eircom's fibre to cabinet product is VDSL 2 (So is BT Infinity)

If you're subscribing to eircom, Magnet or any of the companies that are using the new fibre infrastructure eircom are rolling out, they'll provide you with a modem.

TBH, you're better off using whatever modem they supply as they're talking about using 'vectoring' which is used to eliminate line noise and that may mean that they don't want unknown modems on their VDSL lines.

For example, in the UK with any ISP using BT's Openreach FTTC network you *must* use the VDSL2 modem supplied by the ISP (which is branded openreach) regardless of which network you're using.

I suspect with eircom's network it's going to be some similar arrangement.

I'm not entirely sure of the details of what vectoring technology eircom are planning to use, but there's a risk that 3rd party modems could actually cause interference on the network and result in speed losses for your neighbours if they're not compatible with the vectoring system in place.

For those reasons, the days of supplying your own modem are probably over.

There may even be some kind of custom firmware on the modems to prevent you using one.

You can connect any WiFi router you like to the modem though if you don't want to use the modem's internal wifi, much like you can with UPC.

My advise is do not buy a VDSL2 modem. You're wasting your cash and could be creating problems.
    They're going to provide pretty nice gateways / modems anyway so it's not really a big deal.

If you've WiFi issues, you can pick up a router that's marked as 'cable' as these are usually just a WiFi router. You plug them into an ethernet port on the back of the UPC, eircom or whatever other modem's supplied at your house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

no not suitable

Thanks lads! Lucky I left it in the box then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

that fecks me up too with my Netgear router! If I am able to get the fiber. Quick question: will i be able to get the fiber as there will be a cab 1.2km away from my house. Cant currently get the NGB at the moment though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks lads! Lucky I left it in the box then.

If it hasn't been opened then you could take it back to where ever you bought it from. Not all will give you a refund but some will. Worth a shot at the very least.

Yeah, return it as quickly as you can. It's compatible with existing ADSL2 services (up to 24mbit/s) only.

Most people will refund, but bare in mind they're under no obligation to as you're basically just saying you don't like it. There's nothing wrong the modem unless they sold it as a "VDSL modem" it's as described.

Distance question:

if you're 1.2 km from the cabinet, you could get VDSL but you definitely won't see the maximum speeds, more like maybe 20mbit/s to 25mbit/s
    It'll still probably drastically outperform your ADSL line though, but you won't get top speeds unless you're about 0 to 500meters from the box.

Bare in mind that the speeds vary depending on the line length, the type of wiring used on the line (it varies in terms of diameter of the cables and material and insulation types and all sorts of things) and more importantly the route it takes back to the cabinet. There's no guarantee the route's the same as the road. It could be longer or shorter.

No way of knowing really without seeing what the stats for your line are between the cabinet and your house. Even the data on your modem at the moment are relatively useless as it covers the full line right back to the exchange. We'd need to know just about the last bit from the cabinet to your house.

I bought it from Amazon but it's outside their 30 day returns window now. I'm gonna try their online chat help and plead shamelessly.

Worth a shot!

I suspect eircom will offer ADSL2+ @ 1.2km meself...even though there is a long reach VDSL equivalent.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I suspect eircom will offer ADSL2+ @ 1.2km meself...even though there is a long reach VDSL equivalent.

Well, if the cabinet's closer than the exchange, no reason why they wouldn't give it a try in outlying areas. It's not going to be any worse than ADSL2 and might be better as it will cut a few KM off the line length.

The only thing is that the performance characteristics of VDSL2 pretty much fall into line with ADSL2+ when you go to about 2km (from the graphs I've seen).

It'd still probably be a dramatic improvement for a lot of people even if it's no where near 'fibre' speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

How long do people reckon before we get some prices if it gets launched at the end of May. I have just rented and can't get broadband until then despite it only a phone call away :(

Advertisement