Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Other ISP's will have the option to resell also. Vodafone have a register your interest bit on the website.
    Is this expected to happen anytime soon? Cancelled my Meteor mobile "broadband" contract this morning with the intention of moving to Smart or Sky within the 30 days(both have €30pm deals). Now just wondering if I sign onto a 12 month contract with either of these, would I be missing out on potentially cheap Fibre in the near future. Gah, decisions, decisions, decisions...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The mapping exercise has gone very well, links at bottom. We have found about half of all the cabinets installed to date.

We are missing data particularly in the following exchange areas. Other areas are largely complete and our mappers are diligently hunting for a few stragglers hidden in back alleys now. Some areas are extremely well mapped, eg Balbriggan, Mullingar Sligo and Letterkenny to name a few of the outstanding standouts. :)

Missing some or lots of Cabinets in the following areas, these should be complete.

Limerick City (Limerick);
    Dun Laoghaire (incl Monkstown and Sandycove)
    Ennis, (Clare)
    Bray, (Wicklow)
    Ballina (Mayo)
    Castlebar( Mayo)
    Tallaght, Ballyboden, Palmerstown (S and W Dublin)
    Waterford City
    Kilkenny City
    Tralee (Co. Kerry);
    Westport (Co Mayo);
    Crown Alley, Dolphin’s Barn, Nutley and Beggars Bush ( City Centre Dublin)
    Mervue (Galway)

Some activity has been noted in Phase 4 already.

I have bolded the exchanges where some progress has been noted and bolded italics Phase 4 exchanges that are well advanced.

Arklow Wicklow
    Ashbourne Meath
    Blanchardsown Dublin
    Cabra Dublin
    Caherdavin Limerick
    Carlow Carlow
    Carrick on Shannon Leitrim
    Carrigaline Cork
    Castletroy Limerick
    Cavan Cavan
    Clonmel Tipperary
    Cobh Cork
    Cork Central Cork
    Denehy’s Cross Cork
    Dundalk Louth
    Dundrum* Dublin (new Green Cabinets not the grey ones)
    Enniscorthy Wexford
    Finglas Dublin
    Glanmire Cork
    Greystones Wicklow
    Hettyfield Cork
    Killarney Kerry
    Kildare Kildare
    Leixlip Kildare
    Longford Longford
    Mallow Cork
    Midleton Cork
    Monaghan Monaghan
    Nenagh Tipperary
    Newbridge Kildare
    Newtownmountkennedy Wicklow
    Oranmore Galway
    Portlaoise Laois
    Priory Park* Dublin (new Green Cabinets not the grey ones)
    Rathmines Dublin
    Roscommon Roscommon
    Roslevin Westmeath
    Rush Dublin
    Shannon Town Clare
    Skerries Dublin
    Sutton Dublin
    Thurles Tipperary
    Tullamore Offaly
    Tycor Waterford
    Wellington Road Cork
    Wexford* Wexford ( more fibre, Wexford is fibre only)
    Whitehall Dublin
    Wicklow Wicklow
    Gorey Wexford
    Terenure Dublin

Links below to existing maps and to the mapping engine. Thanks to all who have helped to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 feen

The concrete base's for the cabinets have been installed in Carrigaline over the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I went for a cycle yesterday for an hour and a half & found 2 whole cabinets that were already mapped. ;) How annoying!

Cabinet spotted!!! No it's a green wheelie bin. Cabinet spotted!!! No it's a post box. Cabinet spotted!!! No it's a stupid green upc? box!!! Doh! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Interesting UPC are busily doing stuff too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Solair wrote: »

It'll make things interesting since UPC have boosted many customers speeds up 20-30Mbps higher. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

There are a fair few VDSL cabs missing from the belcamp and coolock exchanges, will try my best to get out and map them, but i have noticed a cab on the n32 at clarehall that has fibre coming up from the ground but no VDSL cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

What's this based on?

Liamario wrote: »
    What's this based on?

I get the impression UPC are coming more towards the end of their investment phase. They are upgrading a lot of places that always had cable broadband. They got into new developments during the boom times. But I do not think they will retrofit many other areas.

Eircom are mid investment and cannot even release the products yet. But at least there is soon to be good competition, at least in urban areas.

New UPC cabinets have been appearing around here in last few days... Can only assume they're upgrading their broadband in some areas.

They also relayed a load of cable around Douglas.

I don't think they're standing still anyway.

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    I get the impression UPC are coming more towards the end of their investment phase. They are upgrading a lot of places that always had cable broadband.

Balbriggan only had congested ADSL and crap Wireless as late as 2009.

UPC sorta upgraded the network (it was fed by MMDS) but cannot offer decent speeds on that network as i understand it.

Hopefully eircom rolling out a dense network of VDSL cabinets will prod UPC into rolling out high end product in Balbriggan too, something they did not do unless they offered 50mbit plus recently unbeknownst to me.

either way Balbriggan, thankfully, is better off for the competition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There's f-all of Balbriggan upgraded, just recent housing estates towards the west of Balbriggan which happened to have ducts and cabling installed for TV. The rest of Balbriggan would have to use MMDS:(

allen175 wrote: »
    There are a fair few VDSL cabs missing from the belcamp and coolock exchanges, will try my best to get out and map them, but i have noticed a cab on the n32 at clarehall that has fibre coming up from the ground but no VDSL cab.

I've just added one on the n32. I think there is another on the Malahide road as well, but I need to have another look at it to make sure it was a vdsl cab and not a upc box.

Thanks for the Carrigaline Cabinets btw

I've renamed them as Cork - CGI - Street Address, in line with all the other Cork areas that are named by eircom exchange code now.

Could someone please put them into the block in the list with the rest of the Cork cabs as I can't seem to move them. I moved one and then the system became really glitchy.
    I am using the latest version of Chrome, so you'd kinda think it'd work!

We could do with a list of the exchange code names though as it's kinda confusing with different towns / suburbs having the same name in say Cork and Dublin e.g. Rochestown Exchange is in Dublin where as many people in Cork might assume it was in Rochestown in Cork. etc.

& they make the tags on the map shorter. E.g. Wellington Road vs WRD

Can you leave the later 'in progress' Cork exchanges on the last Page Solair and move the 4 largely completed ones to page 1 , rg Churchfield Wellington Road Quaker and Douglas ONLY.

It is easier for occasional mappers as they see all the data in one go and dont think they lost something. I would leave Cobh Carrigaline Farmers Dennehys Central Hettyfield Glanmire and Midleton on the last page.

They all show up in the big map (non editable) anyway . Big Map > HERE and you should ALWAYS check it first before you add cabinets in case someone else already has.

Thanks to all participants to date.

It's a pity that list can't be sorted a bit more easily. Google's got loads of glitches in maps, although it's the best of the bunch at the moment.

E.g. I don't know why it doesn't just let you see all of the points on a single list rather than having to flip through multiple pages :)

Although, that being said, it's still MASSIVELY better than iOS maps :D

I'd say WRD is far from completed. There's a load of ground works going on around St Lukes X and still a rather conspicuous lack of cabinets in some large housing developments and stuff. There's quite a bit to go yet.

I've noticed a few brand new locations have gone in too which never had cabinets before e.g. Sidney Hill (very near the WRD exchange itself)

I'd love to know why there's no cabs in Mount Oval in Rochestown too. It's a pretty seriously big development. There are modern, high security distribution cabs in place as it was only built in the last 10 years but, there's no sign whatsoever of VDSL and Douglas is allegedly complete.

Hopefully it's not going to be like UPC where certain developments are just skipped for awkwardness of cabling reasons or something.

I'd say Cork City Centre will be 'fun' as the distribution from what I gather is all in underground vaults. I've never seen a single cabinet anywhere on the central island/city centre.

By the looks of it, a lot of the older parts of Cork inner suburbs are mostly done that way.

It's a pity that list can't be sorted a bit more easily. Google's got loads of glitches in maps, although it's the best of the bunch at the moment.

E.g. I don't know why it doesn't just let you see all of the points on a single list rather than having to flip through multiple pages :)

I understand, that is why I tend to leave the 'lesser' mapped ones on the later pages and group the better mapped ones with experienced mappers on earlier pages. Balbriggan always goes to page 1 for example as there are a few mappers there and they can see the stuff grouped properly. The 4 big exchanges in Cork have a few mappers on the case too.

Full Map here ..updated every day or two at most and it renders quickly as it is not editable. > http://bit.ly/10834qE

I'll personally sort out Belcamp and Coolock later this week and recolour them for display purposes.

If someone wants they can always PM me a text file or spreadsheet of their area with details and I can bulk add them to the map in one go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Pics of the cabs around Limerick, I didn't have to look too hard to find cabs I didn't see before. There are two sets of cabs in Garryowen, one right across from Garryowen Stores (pic incl) and not shown another set of cabs a good bit down the road on a grass area.

There is a cab right outside St. Johns Hospital + another cab outside that childrens school just up from St. Johns Cathedral. Last pic is the one outside the school. First two are right on the corner of Tubs and tiles. Third pic is the cab just across from Limerick jail, right down from the further education college. Fourth pic is the Garryowen Stores.

More cabs various locations. First pic is right outside St. Johns hospital. Second pic is where the old Chorus head office used to be, cant think of the street, the st. where Donkey Fords is....where that doctors office is. Next three pics are a single location, the cabs were not together as usual.

These two are the cabs in Kileely I mentioned. Pretty sure there are plenty more dotted about :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Orange cable being laid in Middleton today by the market green

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Tonio

dave1982 wrote: »

Good to hear! I saw some workers near the Castle Rock roundabout early this morning with some blue rope near some man hole covers - like they may have been about to pull through some fibre! I wondered if they might have been working for Eircom.

Seems they've pulled in loads of contractors for this. Lots of unbranded vans being used.

They were swapping out more older cabinets on Middle Glanmire Road today.

Seems to be serious momentum to this project!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Seems they've pulled in loads of contractors for this. Lots of unbranded vans being used.

One can only assume that they're trying to launch later phases earlier to gain customers? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

One can only assume that they're trying to launch later phases earlier to gain customers? :cool:

This is what I hope. :D

dave1982 wrote: »

I think that's actually 'subduct' which is just sort of flexible, narrow tubes that the fibres are then blown through.

It's actually quite an impressive piece of engineering technology :

Ericsson system:

Here's Alltec Fibre Ltd doing it in Ireland with a 144 fibre bundle :

(They uploaded it themselves so it's public :)http://www.alltecfibre.ie/ )

I added another cab on Clonshaugh ave which I passed this morning. K&N doing a lot of works on Clonshaugh road, not sure who for.

I've been having a lot of difficulty with maps for the last few days. The map moving itself, the points refusing to move etc. Always using internet explorer 9 / 10. If anyone is having similar problems, try using chrome. It seems to be working better.

Also, Eircom seem to have edited their "triple play advert" on the radio to say, & superfast fibre upto 50 m/bit coming soon. I hope it's not going to max out at 50m/bit on release.

It's up to 70mbits and then up to 100 when they turn on "vectoring" (crosstalk management technology)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

When they were laying the sub duct around Glanmire the lads were using a bouncy castle van.

No sign of any fibre being put down just yet though in this area. But as this is going on just around the corner on Middle Glanmire Road and Old Youghal Road I would say it's a matter of weeks.

• Advertisement

Loads more cabs spotted in Limerick, did a walk around the city center and took lots of pics of numerous locations, will list them and add pics later.

Advertisement