Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

morlock_ wrote: »
    Solair/Sponge Bob

You mentioned in previous posts BT OpenReach are using ECI and Huawei hardware to provide VDSL2. In UK, the bigger cabinets seem to be using Huawei DSLAM, what are Eircom deploying?

192 port Huawei units only here.

In the UK they deploy MSANs ( a full miniexchange) where eircom only deploys a DSLAM outdoors and passes the voice telephony service from the cab back to the original exchange.

In the UK there are 4 or 5 different types of MSAN being deployed as follows: BT now seem to prefer ECI over Huawei if possible

1. Huawei 96 port (Huawei MA5616T)
    2. ECI 128 port (M41 series )
    3. Huawei 192 port ???
    4. ECI 256 port M41 series
    5 Huawei 288 port?? or 256 port unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

Sligo cabs up to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    In the UK they deploy MSANs ( a full miniexchange) where eircom only deploys a DSLAM outdoors and passes the voice telephony service from the cab back to the original exchange.

BT have a whole range of solutions depending on what they're up to in any given exchange area.
    In a lot of cases, it's very similar to what eircom are doing here i.e. DSLAM cabinets with voice coming from a central exchange.

In other areas there may be MSAN cabinets which provide Voice and VDSL2.

Eircom's legacy voice network differs very substantially from BT's so, I think they're possibly in less of a rush to start ripping out exchanges if they can integrate them into an all-IP network.

Most of BT's old digital exchanges were custom-developed for BT in the 1980s/90s by GPT-Plessey and are known as System X. The platform was never really exported, and development ceased, as did the company that built them. So, BT really do need to replace them rather rapidly as they'll litterally run out of spare parts very soon.

In a lot of areas the MSAN is providing voice services from the BT exchange building only, not from the cabinets. So, effectively it's just an VoIP replacement for the telephone exchange, much like what Smart Telecom deployed here.

BT seem to use Fujitsu and Huawei MSANs which just provide access. However, all the control is done by an Ericsson AXE soft switch known as an iNode in BT's new network.

So, basically Ericsson AXE lives on in the IP world and remains very much a core part of the network.
    Where as the old System X gear is finding its way to the nearest recycle centre.

I know BT/Openreach originally planned a lot of MSAN cabinets with voice services in the cabinet itself, but that seems to have now changed and they're holding onto voice exchange gear for longer than initially anticipated.

I'd say there's a reluctance to spend loads of money on something that may not even be of much use if everyone's using mobiles and VoIP devices in their own homes. Not a hell of a lot of an advantage to MSANs in boxes on the street really for voice anymore.

----

As for Huawei vs ECI vs Alcatel-Lucent : Companies will swap around where they get the best deal. The technology they're offering all seems very similar.

Solair wrote: »

So, basically Ericsson AXE lives on in the IP world and remains very much a core part of the network.
    Where as the old System X gear is finding its way to the nearest recycle centre.

BT also used AXE gear like eircoms in parts. They call it System Y :)

BT also used AXE gear like eircoms in parts. They call it System Y :)

That's so they could pass it off as British in the mid 80s when they realised they needed an alternative :D The first ones sold to them in the UK were 100% Ericsson technology, but locally manufactured by a Thorn-EMI / Ericsson joint venture. Shortly after that initial order, they just bought them straight from Ericsson. So, many of them would probably have originated in Athlone.

BT however have been removing old digital technology i.e. System X from any core parts of the network since the start of the 2000s.

Ireland actually had the first ever 100% digital AXE local switches. Athlone, Merview and one of the Limerick exchanges were on stream in 1981. Before that, there were still analogue electronic stages in AXE.

From what I can see, most operators though are aiming to have migrated completely to all-IP, including VoIP by the end of this decade.

I'm sure eircom's got plenty of ancient versions of AXE and E10 local switches hanging around too though that are long past their best before dates.

I'd guess though most people's voice services will be probably delivered over broadband to a phone/gateway in their living room rather than MSANs though, if they bother with voice at all.

With FTTH, there's no other way of doing it really without having fibre + a copper pair and also cable companies like UPC are proving that it's definitely not necessary.

In the early days of cable telephony in the UK and elsewhere, it was supplied using a pair of copper wires deployed with the coax and there were exchanges and all that stuff, much like a traditional telephone network.
    They quickly realised that was totally unnecessary when proper VoIP arrived, I'd say eircom, BT etc will just follow suit.

I'm not sure you can really justify tens of millions of euro of rollout / retention costs just for the sake of things like battery back up from the local exchange. People have mobiles and battery back up for VDSL / fibre is possible for alarms and other essential services.

That being said, I've had more down time on my landline than I have ever had from the ESB in this area. We'd a few incidents of failed lines due to damage to underground cables, while I've only ever had a few hours of failed ESB power.

For alarms and stuff like that, I still think people put too much emphasis on how secure the PSTN is. It's anything but!
    If someone's determined, they'll snip wires or do something to prevent dialling out.

If anything, that's probably a lot less complicated than attempting to jam mobile networks.

• Advertisement

From what I can see, most operators though are aiming to have migrated completely to all-IP, including VoIP by the end of this decade.

Yes but t he problem with that is that all the smarts will be collapsed back to acore in Citywest and with no resilience or autonomy outside Dublin ( unlike the old AXE core which could survive a Dublin - Cork outage by rerouting elsewhere.

This means that the further away one gets from Dublin the more decidedly hideous the latency problems gets. I know someone who wanted to purchase a symmetrical ethernet product between 2 nearby towns in the west of Ireland and it had to transit the ethernet core in Dublin ( it took AGES to get eicom to admit this of course :D ) . He used a pair of STM1's instead...much lower latency despite the initial expense.

The likes of Cork Limerick and Galway are completely isolated and vulnerable in the NGN as they are no longer cross connected...and never mind the physical routing inefficiencies.

Thats before eircom ensures we have to go to Telehouse in London to connect to anywhere else bar google and akamai. :(

Yes but t he problem with that is that all the smarts will be collapsed back to acore in Citywest and with no resilience or autonomy outside Dublin ( unlike the old AXE core which could survive a Dublin - Cork outage by rerouting elsewhere.

This means that the further away one gets from Dublin the more decidedly hideous the latency problems gets. I know someone who wanted to purchase a symmetrical ethernet product between 2 nearby towns in the west of Ireland and it had to transit the ethernet core in Dublin ( it took AGES to get eicom to admit this of course :D ) . He used a pair of STM1's instead...much lower latency despite the initial expense.

The likes of Cork Limerick and Galway are completely isolated and vulnerable in the NGN as they are no longer cross connected...and never mind the physical routing inefficiencies.

Thats before eircom ensures we have to go to Telehouse in London to connect to anywhere else bar google and akamai. :(

Well, if that's the case, that's just poor network design / implementation. It's nothing to do with the flaws in the technology.

Seems to be a fair few alternative routes possible there : http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/eircom-fibre-network

If you look at the BT 21CN for example, it's got loads of redundancy built in.

I'd say it could also be a question of eircom's NGN only being sort of half-implemented too.

You'd have to have regional nodes much like the old network had.

ComReg really should be ensuring that the network's totally resilient and that ping times are acceptable.

Commercial companies will always tend towards what's most profitable.

ComReg really should be ensuring that the network's totally resilient and that ping times are acceptable.

Ah! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Sligo cabs up to date

Fair play. I don't know how I missed some of them, I must have walked by them a million times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

elaborate... out of interest ?

last I saw, they were in the middle of updating paths via se england / france to Amsterdam because it was cheaper than going through London

• Advertisement

IP, if anything should be capable of even more resilience than ATM based technologies.

IP evolved from US military networks ARPANET during the Cold War. So, self repairing and intelligent routing were a big part of it. Packet networks don't even necessarily send all the packets over the same route, all that matters is they all get reassembled at the far end into something sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Did you hear the one about two ducks walk into a bar...

bealtine wrote: »
    Did you hear the one about two ducks walk into a bar...

AFAIK, they still seem to think that 'functional internet access' = 28.8k dial up.

@arctan and @sponge_bob: My major concern about these kind of distributed networks is how secure, and well-maintained the cabinets will be in the medium/long term. There's a fair risk that some of them will have accidents with cars/vans backing into them, maybe get flooded in low lying areas, get penetrated by weeds/ivy/plants etc or might even get vandalised.

I've seen traditional cabinets around this area backed into by vans and one or two with doors hanging off them etc. It seems to be 'interaction with cars/trucks' rather than vandalism.

I've already noticed some VDSL cabinets in say Middle Glanmire Road are actually located on the road, not on the pavement. So, it's almost inevitable they'll get damaged at some stage.

For example a VDSL cabinet has gone in next to this misfortunate cabinet : http://url.ie/h4ue (Google Map link)

It's been repaired since then (in fact, if you move up to a slightly different view the doors have been replaced) but it just shows how they absolutely need to install some bollards / ensure they're not likely to be reversed into.
    All it takes is a truck to go back too far and "crunch" bye-bye broadband.

When I was living in Brussels Belgacom was installing a different type of cabinet, but they were similarly located in on-street parking spaces and loads of them had been backed into and badly damaged. They had to install bollards around them to prevent cars smashing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

A lot of people around Europe actually report higher ping times on FTTC technology vs their old adsl lines. That would be annoying considering FTTC is fibre all the way other than the last 1000 metres max.

I assume interleaving or some sort of error correction is used that would slow down ping times? Will vectoring slow down ping times? I remember checking ping times on magnet ftth and getting 2-3ms to Irish servers, under 10 to the UK.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

@arctan and @sponge_bob: My major concern about these kind of distributed networks is how secure, and well-maintained the cabinets will be in the medium/long term. There's a fair risk that some of them will have accidents with cars/vans backing into them, maybe get flooded in low lying areas, get penetrated by weeds/ivy/plants etc or might even get vandalised.

Oh, that is a good point!!

The one near my parents house is at the bottom of a hill on a curve right where a car * hits the wall behind it at least once a month!! Seems like a stupid place to put it without at least some very heavy duty bollards.

* As a kid I saw an articulated truck whose brakes had failed, come hurdling down the hill and smash right into the wall and topple over. Seriously dangerous corner, no one walks by it.

Praetorian wrote: »
    A lot of people around Europe actually report higher ping times on FTTC technology vs their old adsl lines. That would be annoying considering FTTC is fibre all the way other than the last 1000 metres max.

I assume interleaving or some sort of error correction is used that would slow down ping times? Will vectoring slow down ping times? I remember checking ping times on magnet ftth and getting 2-3ms to Irish servers, under 10 to the UK.

I don't think vectoring would impact on pings from what I can see it's more about managing frequencies on the lines coming out of the DSLAM.
    Rate-adaptive profiles however would probably slow things down, much like they do on ADSL.

I'd assume it would also slow down if you were going through endless nodes on the way back to the core network too, which could be possible depending on how the network was designed.

Every trip through a router is going to slow you down and it would also depend on what type of routers are being used in the network.

There are just loads of factors that could be impacting ping times.

Check out this location for a cabinet:

http://url.ie/h4uh

(it's in the bushes to the left of the image ... on an incredibly narrow, busy road, former-country road that's now suburban and that feeds into Mount Oval)

The VDSL cabinet's actually located down the road on the corner, but you'd have to wonder what they were thinking locating a cabinet that technicians were going to have to work on in such ridiculous position. The only way you could safely work on that is to close the road and install a stop/go system!

arctan wrote: »
    elaborate... out of interest ?

The original digital network was microwave and ran off those red towers. If a link bvetween Dublin and Limerick went down the network could reroute over different links from Dublin and Limerick via Galway and Cork. Over time microwave hops were replaced with higher capacity fibre hops on the same routes. EG Limerick Cork started with Microwave and went to fibre at some stage in the late 1980s or early 1990s I should think.

This is impossible with NGN at present, there are no NGN (High CAPACITY DWDM 10Gbit+ Wavelengths running on modern fibre ) links out of Limerick save to Dublin and they are single failure points.
    last I saw, they were in the middle of updating paths via se england / france to Amsterdam because it was cheaper than going through London

They still hop FE and US links through THE, maybe they are moving EU traffic onto a different route.

I agree on the points of failure issue. It needs to be very resilient s

We experienced a problem with Smart Telecom a few years ago where we lost voice and data for several days because of a fibre being damaged feeding their MSAN in Wellington Road.

It's not funny when your office ends up depending on a USB dongle!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

This is impossible with NGN at present, there are no NGN (High CAPACITY DWDM 10Gbit+ Wavelengths running on modern fibre ) links out of Limerick save to Dublin and they are single failure points.

Sorry, but this just isn't true. There are DWDM routes out of Limerick towards Galway, Cork, Dublin, and Waterford. For NGN routers in the Limerick/Mallow region, there are diverse routes to the core in Dublin via Portlaoise and Cork/Waterford.

/csd

I'd also assume there's fall back onto older fibre routes too ?

• Advertisement

I'd also assume there's fall back onto older fibre routes too ?

Sort of. The core fibre route might have up to 144 individual fibres on it, and some of these will be used by legacy SDH equipment, while other pairs will be used by DWDM. The two exist side-by-side in the same cable a lot of the time.

The legacy stuff isn't geared up to supporting n x 10Gb/s demands for NGN, but it remains in place to provide connectivity for the PSTN and any customers still using circuit-switched leased lines (eg n x 64Kb/s, 2Mb/s 155Mb/s etc).

/csd

When was that resilience built in CSD??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Will any of the exchanges ever be upgraded to fiber outside the towns and cities? Or am i drunk.

When was that resilience built in CSD??

Limerick Roches St, as the main PSTN switching centre for the region, has always had resilience right back to the PDH days and beyond. More recently it's been a node on the southern backbone DWDM ring, and is a concentration point for many other regional DWDM and SDH rings.

As far as NGN services go, it has always had resilient connectivity provided to it on multiple diverse transmission systems.

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Nolars wrote: »
    Will any of the exchanges ever be upgraded to fiber outside the towns and cities? Or am i drunk.

Hic! You're not under the affluence of incohol as some teople might pink ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

iPhone. wrote: »

Hic! You're not under the affluence of incohol as some teople might pink ;)

.there did you what see I Oh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

Footprint for a cab laid down in Balrothery today. Also dug up the road beside. Not sure why.

Will update the map when the cabinet is installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Got a leaflet in Dooradoyle, Limerick that it would be available in my area soon. Are prices expected to jump with it, or will they remain the same, with this serving as an upgrade rather than a different package. Also, will other ISP's get access to this fibre to resell it, or will it be Eircom only?

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Got a leaflet in Dooradoyle, Limerick that it would be available in my area soon. Are prices expected to jump with it, or will they remain the same, with this serving as an upgrade rather than a different package. Also, will other ISP's get access to this fibre to resell it, or will it be Eircom only?

It's a "wholesale access product" so, it's been designed from the ground up to be accessible to other providers.

They'll be able to use it in various wholesale arrangements for other networks much like ADSL at present.

Realistically, if they price it higher than UPC they won't win back any customers so, they'll have to stay competitive.

It's not the bad old days when eircom had a monopoly on access infrastructure, there are other ways of getting broadband apart from a phone line.

This product is supposed to compete with UPC.

Until they launch fibre into your home, they won't surpass UPCs speed ether. The best they can hope for is a price competition!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Jackobyte wrote: »

Other ISP's will have the option to resell also. Vodafone have a register your interest bit on the website.

Advertisement