Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Markmurph can i ask who your going with ? My cabinet goes live on 15 January and I was told can't order until that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

raytaxi wrote: »
    Markmurph can i ask who your going with ? My cabinet goes live on 15 January and I was told can't order until that date.

15th jan? cant find that CAB...Leighlinbridge is about that date all right. 14th!

Yeah, sure Eircom. Ordered it about 10 Dec.

Cant wait! Sick of bad upload speeds.

Why? who you with?

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 garyc151

Fiber was to go live on mahon exchange new years eve yesterday rang them was going switch back it has not gone live and they don't no why said try tomorrow or Monday here comes start of a delay I'd say and with new set up only b able get about 30 meg I'm on 17 now with traffic on my line should be none at times I'm only 1 to 6 mbps will it ever go live its been delayed enough from Nov 13

I have heard some horror stories with connecting people. But in general its fine.

Vodafone are ment to be a disaster. Friend of mine saying the call centers are in India or something. So I'll stick with Eircom.

Let us know how you get on.

6 days to go for me! Hope things go ok.

Some stories on boards.ie say within a week, you could be connected. I know some people connected 7-10 days.

m.

As soon as it goes live I'll leave you no it is meant to be live all ready I have face plate and fiber modem all ready so as soon as I'm ready to go if they pull there fingers out lol

• Advertisement

As soon as it goes live I'll leave you no it is meant to be live all ready I have face plate and fiber modem all ready so as soon as I'm ready to go if they pull there fingers out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

At last I'm on the map...Portlaw
    Their saying April June 2015 woo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

Using the online eFibre availability checker it says my apartment can get it. But when I check by my phone number it says I can't. I heard my cabinet was blocked due to an objection about the footpath being too narrow for it, although there's already an older cabinet there. Unless that is overcome my only hope looks like exchange launched VDSL2 or FTTH if and when that ever materialises.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

At last I'm on the map...Portlaw
    Their saying April June 2015 woo hoo
    Was Portlaw there before or was it added in the last few days?

Keenly keeping an eye on the checker for my exchange which is down as Planned on fibrerollout.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

marno21 wrote: »
    Was Portlaw there before or was it added in the last few days?

Keenly keeping an eye on the checker for my exchange which is down as Planned on fibrerollout.ie
    I think it was only just added in the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

THIRD Christmas and no eFibre, it's now two full years since a live cabinet was activated in my area. Just sayin, I've given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Red Nissan wrote: »
    THIRD Christmas and no eFibre, it's now two full years since a live cabinet was activated in my area. Just sayin, I've given up.

I've had 47 Christmas's without fibre....I've survived. Just sayin.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I'm in a similar boat, except, I've waited nearly 3 Christmases on promises of eFibre and supposedly last month a live cabinet was finally activated in my area, but instead of improving my speeds, the results so far have been disastrous. For about the last 6 years I've had broadband and the speeds had been about 3.5Mbps, since the new cab I have seen speeds as high as 6.5Mbps which is higher than I've ever seen here, but also many times it's so slow it doesn't even connect. So bad I can no longer work from home, although the big slow-downs seem to come in the afternoon and evenings, I suspect it's more users and contention that's causing the problem and over the Christmas when everyone was off it was disastrous, couldn't even check email, except at 6AM.

I'm now thinking of biting the bullet and switching over to wireless broadband, as I've been waiting far too long for this holy grail of efibre which has only made things worse so far and I don't think I can wait anymore. What other industry keeps their customers guessing like this for years and can't give us a straight answer as when this will be sorted?

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I've had 47 Christmas's without fibre....I've survived. Just sayin.:P

Ya, just sayin, like I have a post from two years ago saying that eFibre was coming that September.

SeamusFX wrote: »
    but also many times it's so slow it doesn't even connect. So bad I can no longer work from home,

Roger that. I did try mobile but where I work has no signal on 3 but in the attic I can get 15/19 22/15

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting information in Eircoms November future plans document:
    Node Level Vectoring
    This product enhancement will allow vectoring to be applied to two DSLAMs within a single cabinet. Currently, vectoring is only supported on a cabinet with a single DSLAM with 192 customers able to avail of vectoring and in turn speeds of up to 100Mb. The new functionality will allow a cabinet to be expanded as demand increases to 384 vectoring capable ports.

Basically there are currently a small percentage of VDSL cabinets that haven't had vectoring enabled on them yet, because the cabs have two DSLAMS in them due to a large number of lines connected to them. It looks like from April, Eircom will be enabling node level vectoring, so these cabs will also enjoy the benefits of vectoring. More good news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Have efibre order in now cabinet(Castlebellingham cab3 ) goes live on 14 January install on 16 January.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    Basically there are currently a small percentage of VDSL cabinets that haven't had vectoring enabled on them yet, because the cabs have two DSLAMS in them due to a large number of lines connected to them. It looks like from April, Eircom will be enabling node level vectoring, so these cabs will also enjoy the benefits of vectoring. More good news :)

Good to see thats coming along. That'd be for cabs with risers usually I suspect, they're ~ 8" taller than normal to allow for all the cross connects.

NLV covers large cabs, but I think we need SLV for dual cab situations unless they can interlink cards across cabs and each cab only has one shelf each. And SLV is needed for the exchanges.

We we're to go live on 31/12/14 now wen ring them there is an error on system and it says 2099 and they can't give timeframe mahon mh1-e01 here comes the long delay

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im still achieving 70/20 consistent with efibre cab 100m from me.
    House is only 13 years built located on its own [as in not in an estate] and the line has always shown really good stats so imo i should be getting better speeds.
    I have seen for myself people connected to another cab 300m away from me achieve 95+/20.
    I dont get why vectoring isnt enabled on both cabs?

I rang about this numerous times and was told they are waiting on a precall bla bla bla,thats was 6 months ago.
    Fast forward a few months back in october i rang again to enquire only for eircom to tell me our cab is only able to get 50mb [yet ive always got 70/20 solid from day one]
    To make maters worse they drop me down to 40/20 profile 2 mins after i get off the phone without my asking :(
    It took another week to get back to 70/20.
    At this stage im afraid to ring again for fear of similar happening.

Im more than happy with what i have after so many years with crappy internet but im paying the same as people connected to other cabs down the road yet dont get speeds they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dcully wrote: »
    Im still achieving 70/20 consistent with efibre cab 100m from me.
    House is only 13 years built located on its own [as in not in an estate] and the line has always shown really good stats so imo i should be getting better speeds.
    I have seen for myself people connected to another cab 300m away from me achieve 95+/20.
    I dont get why vectoring isnt enabled on both cabs?

I rang about this numerous times and was told they are waiting on a precall bla bla bla,thats was 6 months ago.
    Fast forward a few months back in october i rang again to enquire only for eircom to tell me our cab is only able to get 50mb [yet ive always got 70/20 solid from day one]
    To make maters worse they drop me down to 40/20 profile 2 mins after i get off the phone without my asking :(
    It took another week to get back to 70/20.
    At this stage im afraid to ring again for fear of similar happening.

Im more than happy with what i have after so many years with crappy internet but im paying the same as people connected to other cabs down the road yet dont get speeds they do.

If its still unvectored when it is you'll get automatically bumped up. Theres probably some reason why they havent turned it on for that cab yet if its been live for so long, unlikely you'll find out what though.

Try been on 17 meg profile and only getting 1 to 6 meg download

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

ED E wrote: »
    If its still unvectored when it is you'll get automatically bumped up. Theres probably some reason why they havent turned it on for that cab yet if its been live for so long, unlikely you'll find out what though.
    In my case, I telephoned and then it happened. Perhaps it would have happened eventually anyway, but the person to whom I talked checked that my cab had been vectored, and then said something had to be done on my line before I could get the new profile. A few days later I had it.

They have told me keep ringing every few days

They have told me keep ringing every few days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Just checked http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ and believe it or not im approx 2.5km from a planned vdsl cab from a fairly rural area.... Oh dear christ is looks like its 3mb for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Nolars wrote: »
    Just checked and believe it or not im approx 2.5km from a planned vdsl cab from a fairly rural area.... Oh dear christ is looks like its 3mb for another few years.

I'd move house!

Rural myself, very lucky I get 9 meg. BUT! Efibre going live tomorrow! 25 meg! looking forward to this day since early Dec !

m.

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Not a hope in hell, I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

In this 1.6m figure often quoted is this just counting all residences in an efibre enabled area or those premises that can actually receive efibre?

In rural areas for example an an exchange based in a town can be upgraded but those over a certain distance can't get even 1mb, never mind fibre. Are those houses counted?

Advertisement