Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MBSnr wrote: »
    I'm not sure of their logic either but perhaps it will change. I'm 2.5Km from the exchange on a direct fed line. The next village from the exchange is 3.5Km on the same road. Just about 300m from me is a point where all the telephone lines appear from underground (with terminations on a pole) after passing below power lines. If they put a cab there (~2Km from exchange), then they'd cover both the direct fed up to that point and also all the houses around and the village beyond - as all the lines come from the exchange. That village (which may never get fast fibre access) and anyone within ~500m of it would still be within 2km of a cabinet - all done with the cost of one cab install. There's 3 cables strung up on the poles, each with at least 50 pairs, meaning 150 lines at the minimum and I'm told they are short of pairs in the cable.

In a situation like that you are quite likely to get VDSL, but not soon. They'll have to fit a copper cab first then cross connect to a vdsl one, so there needs to be space for two cabs, and esb power, but by the sounds of it there probably is. Also its not just the cost of the cab, its the cost of running fibre 2km to feed it.

These are the kind of cases that are viable, but not "low hanging fruit". When they finish the first phase in 2016 its these that will be reassessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Can anyone tell me what kind of speeds i am likely to get i am 486 metres away from a planned cabinet? I have a rough idea. but interested in knowing for sure!

Eircom has set a date for Spring/ Summer 2015 for me.

Excited never expected Fibre to come available this far out in the countryside. Nobody would have believed it a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Can anyone tell me what kind of speeds i am likely to get i am 486 metres away from a planned cabinet? I have a rough idea. but interested in knowing for sure!

Excited never expected Fibre to come available this far out in the countryside. Nobody would have believed it a few years ago.

I am 450-500m from my cabinet (based on the path of the Eircom manholes). Initially I got 70Mbps, but as the line wasn't vectored, this reduced to 50Mbps for about a month. However I now get 80Mbps, as vectoring was recently enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bigcarmouse

dont get your hopes up....our fibre is still delayed...8 months and counting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map they have updated the map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ya I think most of them are, well the ones I checked anyhow. Its just a matter of who gets it within these areas now and who doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Sure I'm in a live area, 2 cabinets went live and so far only 60 houses can get it.
    With no expected date for the rest of the houses, depending on which of eircoms sites I use to check my number its not even in area where efibre is available. Sales don't even have a clue as to when it will be available :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭doney84

raytaxi wrote: »
    Sure I'm in a live area, 2 cabinets went live and so far only 60 houses can get it.
    With no expected date for the rest of the houses, depending on which of eircoms sites I use to check my number its not even in area where efibre is available. Sales don't even have a clue as to when it will be available :mad:

Hi raytaxi, going by your previous posts in relation to efibre, I take it where in the same area where these two cabinets went live last week. Can I ask how do you know about 60 houses can get it because I have tried a few different addresses (using the different estates) from one end of the crossroads to the other and none appear to have efibre available???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Pushed forward another month for the sixth month in a row :mad:

Roll on Vodafone and ESB! I never would have signed up with Eircom if it was not for the promised upgrade to fibre. My first time with Eircom in years and my last as soon as another option comes available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I live in real rural Tipperary and I know that my exchange is not to be eFibred until 2016, nor is there a Fibre cab anywhere in the vicinity. The IoffL map tells me these things. :rolleyes:

Looking at the Eircom map - X marks the spot.

However, if I put in my address into the checker it gives me a result that my house is ready to go!!!

The word I have blanked out on this result image, is actually a large area with dozens of houses in it and not a specific house address.

I did try a few other area names in the vicinity and none of them were showing as being ready to go.

Bah!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭martiin

Main Street Mallow:
    eFibre is not available yet in your area however let us alert you when it's available.

crap!

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I live in real rural Tipperary and I know that my exchange is not to be eFibred until 2016, nor is there a Fibre cab anywhere in the vicinity. The IoffL map tells me these things. :rolleyes:

Looking at the Eircom map - X marks the spot.

However, if I put in my address into the checker it gives me a result that my house is ready to go!!!

The word I have blanked out on this result image, is actually a large area with dozens of houses in it and not a specific house address.

I did try a few other area names in the vicinity and none of them were showing as being ready to go.

Bah!!!:confused:
    Use fibrerollout.ie not eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

My cab is due to go live in December. I am wondering is vectoring automatically enabled on all the new cabs being rolled out or does this happen after as I am being quoted a max download of 80mb and thought I would be higher?

Thanks...

Its turned on on all cabs that don't require NLV, so as long as there isn't another vdsl cab within 30 or 40ft then it should be vectored from the get go.

Prequal figures can be wrong, wait until you're installed to see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I presume all the new exchanges added are primarily exchange based and will be quicker? My exchange is on the list on the planned list on fibrerollout.ie altho there's no date for it yet. So I presume it will be included in the next swathe (after Apr-Jun 15) as most of the exchanges around it will have fibre after that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

My cab is due to go live in December. I am wondering is vectoring automatically enabled on all the new cabs being rolled out or does this happen after as I am being quoted a max download of 80mb and thought I would be higher?

Thanks...
    Non vectored cabs have a max download of 70 mb, so yip, you are on a vectored cab

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

ED E wrote: »
    Use fibrerollout.ie not eircom.net

Thanks - and the result is ... <drum roll> ... Bah! Bah!! and Bah!!!
    :confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Thanks - and the result is ... <drum roll> ... Bah! Bah!! and Bah!!!
    :confused::(

Same for me. Just did a speedtest and my ping is over 300ms with Eircom. I'd be better off with 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Notahappycamper how did you find out your cab was going live ?
    Mine is showing up as live (on wholesale map)yet there is no way to order or even time frame for order. Sales don't even know about it. Eircom on boards say December and wholesale map is only for wholesale customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

raytaxi wrote: »
    Notahappycamper how did you find out your cab was going live ?
    Mine is showing up as live (on wholesale map)yet there is no way to order or even time frame for order. Sales don't even know about it. Eircom on boards say December and wholesale map is only for wholesale customers.

I switched to Vodafone from Sky recently and put my no. into their line checker and it said up to 100mb. I then rang them and they said I could place the fibre order on 10th December. They said I would get 80mb download. The Eircom line checker I used confirmed same although I thought I would be closer to the 100mb as my line is about 250-300 metres from cab - line is on overhead poles and not underground for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Still no sign of anything happening with direct feed customers.

Also is eircom now throttling their service for the likes of YouTube? Sites load fine but videos are painfully slow to load.

Manc Red wrote: »
    Still no sign of anything happening with direct feed customers.

Also is eircom now throttling their service for the likes of YouTube? Sites load fine but videos are painfully slow to load.

They have listed exchanges starting from February for vdsl.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Looking at the fibre rollout site it says I'm 3.5km from the planned cabinet upgrade as the crow flies.

Will fibre being available in my area offer any benefit to me at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭degsie

Nolars wrote: »
    They have listed exchanges starting from February for vdsl.

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map

How do you get to see the list of DF exchanges on that link? I can't see it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

degsie wrote: »
    How do you get to see the list of DF exchanges on that link? I can't see it. Thanks.

Best example is any rural area in red (Apr - Jun '15) will have a central exchange and no cabinets listed on the whenandwhere site - that's probably what he is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I assume all listed on that map with _E01 are actually exchanges with direct fed lines. E.g. WLW1_E01 is new on this map and appears to be the wicklow exchange, not a new cab as such.

Correct, _XXXA refers to a cabinet paired to a CCP Cab. _E001 refers to the exchange based DSLAMs that are planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3937742749.png

On a fixed profile 80down 20 up with Vodafone and get the above results. Not at all bad IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭markmurphy

is Christmas over yet?

Fiber cab live in early jan! ordered and all!
    18-25 meg !! and 5+ uploads!! says the checker..

Is the eircom checker fairly correct?

come on......!!

approx 760m away.
    Have 9 down and 0.6 up. The up will really help the speed.

Bagenalstown area.

Mark.

Advertisement