Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat is murder, tasty, tasty murder . . .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Some of the lilly livered hippies in this thread should recognise the slippery slope they stand on.
    It's not a big step for them to be convinced that plants feel pain so they should no longer be harvested.
    The hole left by religion is responsible for a lot of this crap, some people just love to feel guilty about things.

No no no. You have me all wrong. Im not a vegan because I like animals. I am vegan because I HATE PLANTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The days of the vegetarian will soon be numbered, we will all be eating meat grown in the lab and the killing of animals will be left to the animals!

Now I'm off the get a steak sandwich, yum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Are you having a conversation with yourself? I didn't call anyone 'nuts'. I said anyone who thinks killing animals is wrong has the moral compass of a five year old. Which is an insult to five year olds
    You have a very short memory.
    You think vegetarians live in a "Deluded fantasy world and are loony bins". http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74994355&postcount=250
    Response to your edit. I don't eat grains, which, despite displacing animals, also means animals get killed during harvest, ones which don't even get eaten. I do however, eat pastured Irish beef and lamb, and free range chickens. These animals have a relatively happy life (certainly happier than a lot of wild animals) then get slaughtered humanely. These animals can also live in realtive harmony with other animals in the area. Frankly I think I have the moral high ground over you (assuming you eat grains and other mass produced food)
    Of course they get eaten, everything is a cycle of life and death with "eating" being central to that.
    The point is everybody has the right to choose what to eat, I wouldn't eat a dog unless I was starving, and somebody giving the point that I eat pigs, is no argument that I should tuck into a dog for Sunday lunch. Get it?

You certainly do not have any moral high ground over me, just the opposite in fact, because I am not a vegetarian and I see no problem with either meat eating or vegetarianism, and unlike you I criticise neither. I do have issue however with people like you, who belittle others who choose different lifestyles to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You have a very short memory.
    You think vegetarians live in a "Deluded fantasy world and are loony bins". http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74994355&postcount=250

Of course they get eaten, everything is a cycle of life and death with "eating" being central to that.
    The point is everybody has the right to choose what to eat, I wouldn't eat a dog unless I was starving, and somebody giving the point that I eat pigs, is no argument that I should tuck into a dog for Sunday lunch. Get it?

You certainly do not have any moral high ground over me, just the opposite in fact, because I am not a vegetarian and I see no problem with either meat eating or vegetarianism, and unlike you I criticise neither. I do have issue however with people like you, who belittle others who choose different lifestyles to themselves.

Jasysus, you've kept a grudge on me from another thread from four months ago? I think that's a bit pathetic.

Anyway, (as I think I stated in another post in that thread) in real life I don't go around criticising other peoples diets....unless they criticise mine, tell me it's unhealthy or that I'm being immoral

Jasysus, you've kept a grudge on me from another thread from four months ago? I think that's a bit pathetic.
    Sorry but you are not that important to me, I just remembered you when I saw you criticising people for their lifestyle choices again.
    Anyway, (as I think I stated in another post in that thread) in real life I don't go around criticising other peoples diets....unless they criticise mine, tell me it's unhealthy or that I'm being immoral
    If your attitude was "live and let live" you would have argued that point (like I did in that old thread and this one), you did not, you clearly think vegetarians are nuts.
    Your arguing with me when I have no issue with meat eating and never criticised anybody for it but only defend the act of vegetarianism, clearly shows your attitude differs from what you now try to state above.
    It is you who are doing the preaching and questioning of peoples morals.

• Advertisement

Sorry but you are not that important to me, I just remembered you when I saw you criticising people for their lifestyle choices again.

If your attitude was "live and let live" you would have argued that point (like I did in that old thread and this one), you did not, you clearly think vegetarians are nuts.
    Your arguing with me when I have no issue with meat eating and never criticised anybody for it but only defend the act of vegetarianism, clearly shows your attitude differs from what you now try to state above.
    It is you who are doing the preaching and questioning of peoples morals.

Yes, I think vegetarians are ill-informed and/or irrational, that's my opinion and I have a right to it, just like you have to yours. I responded to posts in this thread stating eating animals is immoral. If no one posted that, I wouldn't have posted anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Meat is murder, tasty, tasty murder...

I stand to be corrected here, but I'm sure the word 'murder' only applies to the unlawful killing of Human Beings, not the animals whos meat we eat every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Why would anybody give a damn about another persons diet? :confused:

Yes, I think vegetarians are ill-informed and/or irrational, that's my opinion and I have a right to it, just like you have to yours. I responded to posts in this thread stating eating animals is immoral. If no one posted that, I wouldn't have posted anything
    You do realise that thinking vegetarians are irrational, is actually an irrational thought, as there is no irrationality in not eating meat. People, in fact whole societies, especially over vast tracts of Asia, have been doing it for thousands of years, it is quite normal.
    Your thinking there is something odd about it, just shows how much about the world you have yet to learn. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

You do realise that thinking vegetarians are irrational, is actually an irrational thought, as there is no irrationality in not eating meat. People, in fact whole societies, especially over vast tracts of Asia, have been doing it for thousands of years, it is quite normal.
    Your thinking there is something odd about it, just shows how much about the world you have yet to learn. ;)

Equally, thinking some who thinks not eating meat is irrational is in itself irrational. People, in fact whole societies, have been eating meat for thousands of years, it is quite normal. You also have a lot to learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The point is everybody has the right to choose what to eat,
    Not really, you have the luxury of choosing what to eat, most of Africa doesn't have that right. We'll all see how much of a luxury food is if the population continues to increase as their may not be enough of it to go around. I don't think people in the west can really appreciate food until they spend some time starving, then morals would go right out the window.

Why do you people care though?
    Do you get annoyed when your neighbour buys a different car to you?
    Does it piss you off when your friend drinks a different brand of coffee?
    People who get all bent out of shape because others don't eat the same food they do must be massively insecure.
    It's hilarious that there are actual posts telling vegetarians how wrong they are. How some day they'll be forced to eat meat and they won't have the "luxury" of their diet. My goodness!
    Why don't you just get on with your wonderful meat-eating lives that you're sooo happy about and let others mind their own business?

:rolleyes:

bronte wrote: »
    Why do you people care though?
    Do you get annoyed when your neighbour buys a different car to you?
    Does it piss you off when your friend drinks a different brand of coffee?
    People who get all bent out of shape because others don't eat the same food they do must be massively insecure.
    It's hilarious that there are actual posts telling vegetarians how wrong they are. How some day they'll be forced to eat meat and they won't have the "luxury" of their diet. My goodness!
    Why don't you just get on with your wonderful meat-eating lives that you're sooo happy about and let others mind their own business?

My posts were in reponse to posts like this:
    I find this thread nauseating in the extreme. How us humans, capable of empathy, can find it okay to just murder animals all over the place for our own consumption. It is nothing but an indulgence.

Now quit yer whining

My posts were in reponse to posts like this:

Now quit yer whining

You first sir!

al28283 wrote: »
    Equally, thinking some who thinks not eating meat is irrational is in itself irrational.
    You're not very good at this are you. :confused:
    Why is it irrational believing that it is irrational for someone to think vegitatianism is irrational?
    People, in fact whole societies, have been eating meat for thousands of years, it is quite normal.
    Yea so?
    You also have a lot to learn
    About what?
    Sorry but what ever you tried to do here doesn't actually work.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Not really, you have the luxury of choosing what to eat, most of Africa doesn't have that right.
    I don't have the money to buy a Ferrari, would you say I don't have the right to buy one? Right ≠ Option
    We'll all see how much of a luxury food is if the population continues to increase as their may not be enough of it to go around. I don't think people in the west can really appreciate food until they spend some time starving, then morals would go right out the window.
    Just because someone would eat a cow if they are starving, is not an argument to eat one when they are not. :rolleyes:
    As I said earlier, if I was starving I would eat a dog, but I will not sit down to one tonight for my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    If we were going to destroy ourselves we'd have done it by now, and the world would have perished in nuclear fire. Ain't gonna happen.

I do agree we have a responsibility to ourselves and future generations to act with a bit more foresight, but that is changing. It will take time and effort, but I'm confident it will all work out for the best. Depicting humanity as some sort of demonic reaver violating the virginity of nature is not just wrong, it doesn't do justice to nature's ability and proven track record to do a lot worse.

In what way is it changing? We as a race are far more concerned with enriching ourselves than the welfare of our planet. As the earths population expands and more people strive to have a decent quality of life the burden on our planet increases. Human activity has increased the rate of extinction of species. The amount of CO2 and other gases we pump into the atmosphere is massive compared to that released by volcanoes.

I really do admire your optimism but when you actually explore this topic it can be quite depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

MadYaker wrote: »
    In what way is it changing? We as a race are far more concerned with enriching ourselves than the welfare of our planet.
    Unlike monkeys, I think they may the most environmentally aware animals on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Another veggie-bashing thread? Must have been a slow news day.
    And the death of countless millions of insects, bugs and worms in an effort to feed vegan the plant flesh they crave so much.

Or, how about the fact that so many animals die in the harvesting of tofu that every slippery bite contains traces of blood.

Vegas/vegetarians = hypocrites.

The argument that vegans and other vegetarians are hypocrites because animals will inevitably die from crop farming is a complete non-starter. If this is true then the best way to lessen the number of animals killed is to stop eating meat, not just because of the cows/chickens/whatever that are killed but the fact that during their lifetimes they also need plants to survive: more crops are grown for livestock than are grown for humans so if you're that concerned about the unintentional deaths of wild animals you wouldn't eat meat at all.

Secondly, the fact that we waste so much food on animals that are only going to be killed for meat is one of the contributing factors to food poverty worldwide and it is for this reason that the UN's Livestock's Long Shadow report recommends the world adopt a plant-based diet. We have more than enough land and food to feed the world but we're wasting it because of our appetite for meat. This is only going to get worse as more countries join the West so if we are to combat this we can't tell them to lay off the ham sandwiches while having steak ourselves.

Human beings are omnivores, which means we have the luxury of being able to survive on quite a wide range of food. This doesn't, however, mean that we have to eat every single type of food possible and the fact that we have come to the point where we can be picky about our food means that we now have the option of abstaining from that which conflicts with our morals. Indeed, I would eat virtually anything if it was a matter of survival but eating bits of animals while having such a varied choice just seems unnecessarily nasty, from a utilitarian POV.

The hypocrite is the one who disingenuously complains about an issue while contributing to it.
    Firstly, human beings are omnivores. We have evolved eating meat as this was the only viable way we could support our large, energy intensive brains (looking at some of the posts here, might not apply to everyone). Specifically, essential nutrients like Vitamin B12 and Omega 3 fatty acids are only available in appreciable amounts from animal food.

All of the nutrients we need to survive are available from non-animal sources. B12 isn't even made by animals.
    Secondly, killing animals for food is only 'immoral' if you have the moral compass of a five year old. Is it wrong for a tiger to kill for food? Of course not.

Do you have any justification for your moral compass assertion or was it just an attempt at implying vegetarians are somehow childish? Humans are also not tigers so I fail to see how that's relevant. Even if it was wrong for tigers to kill for food, this wouldn't make it okay for us to do so. The ethical behaviour of humans is fortunately not determined by that of other animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

If we all stopped eating meat, what would happen to all the cows?

Where would they go? It's not like they'd be let roam around free, it'd be havok!

Anyway, my 2 cents:

I like meat. If it wasn't for meat, I'd probably be dead from starvation.
    I really, REALLY don't care where my meat comes from. I really don't!
    If you think that's odd, try telling someone you don't like cheese. God, it's hell. "What about Easy Singles?" "No" "Edam?" "No" "Cheddar?" "Is that a cheese?" "Yeah," "Well, no" "Fancy getting a pizza?" :mad:

I fupping hate when people get all preachy at me. "Oh, you shouldn't eat meat because....." or "Being a vegan is so much better for the environment because..."
    Well, do you know what? **** off and leave me alone.

All of the nutrients we need to survive are available from non-animal sources. B12 isn't even made by animals.

Do you have any justification for your moral compass assertion or was it just an attempt at implying vegetarians are somehow childish? Humans are also not tigers so I fail to see how that's relevant. Even if it was wrong for tigers to kill for food, this wouldn't make it okay for us to do so. The ethical behaviour of humans is fortunately not determined by that of other animals.

Vitamin B12 is not made by animals, no. It is made by bacteria of herbivorous animals, from which we obtain it when (if) we consume animal products. Omega 3s are another essential nutrient only available in sufficent quantities from animal sources. Since these are essential for human development (especially brain development) it follows that humans evolved eating animal products as a part of our diet. These days we can supplement and what-have-you but my argument is that the healthiest diet for humans is the diet that our ancestors have been eating for well over 100,000 years, i.e. including meat. This is why I will never be a vegan or vegetarian and eat a paleo diet.

That said, since animals are an ideal part of one's diet, I find the idea that killing animals (humanely raised and slaughtered) is ludicrous. Just as ludicrous as saying a tiger is wrong to kill a deer. Vegetarians and vegans conveniently ignore all the animals displaced by large scale agriculture, all the animals killed as part of pest control, all the animals killed by harvesting equipment and other parts involved in bringing vegetarian/vegan food to one's plate. The fact that vegetarians\vegans think one type of animal death (bearing in mind I'm referring to humanely raised animals) is wrong and another type is alright leads me to think that someone with such a view is either ill-informed, irrational, or bits of both.

• Advertisement

Vitamin B12 is not made by animals, no. It is made by bacteria of herbivorous animals, from which we obtain it when (if) we consume animal products. Omega 3s are another essential nutrient only available in sufficent quantities from animal sources. Since these are essential for human development (especially brain development) it follows that humans evolved eating animal products as a part of our diet. These days we can supplement and what-have-you but my argument is that the healthiest diet for humans is the diet that our ancestors have been eating for well over 100,000 years, i.e. including meat. This is why I will never be a vegan or vegetarian and eat a paleo diet.
    What part of "meat is not essential for a healthy diet" do you not understand? Just repeating over and over again that it is, isn't going to change the fact that it isn't.
    Many people eat a veg diet because it's healthy, and not for moral reasons.

We evolved to eat insects too, they were a major part of our diet and a huge proportion of the world's population get a substantial amount of their protein from them still. Are we in the West irrational because we don't today?
    If you want to eat as people did over the course of our recent evolution you should be advocating doing that also.
    That said, since animals are an ideal part of one's diet, I find the idea that killing animals (humanely raised and slaughtered) is ludicrous. Just as ludicrous as saying a tiger is wrong to kill a deer. Vegetarians and vegans conveniently ignore all the animals displaced by large scale agriculture, all the animals killed as part of pest control, all the animals killed by harvesting equipment and other parts involved in bringing vegetarian/vegan food to one's plate. The fact that vegetarians\vegans think one type of animal death (bearing in mind I'm referring to humanely raised animals) is wrong and another type is alright leads me to think that someone with such a view is either ill-informed, irrational, or bits of both.
    You really are obsessed with this utterly ridiculous irrational non-point.
    If I was in Korea I wouldn't eat dog meat, because 1. the thought repulses me and 2. I wouldn't want to be part of the "process". Am I irrational for feeling that way along with most Westerners? Many people feel that way about cows, pigs, sheep etc, who the fuck are you to tell them they are irrational, or ill informed.

The irony of you telling people they are irrational or ill-informed when you spout nonsense about veg diets being unhealthy and meat production somehow has less impact on the environment than veg, is stunning. Animals eat veg and huge amounts of that energy goes into keeping them alive till slaughter and does not make its way to the human consumer, whereas veg goes direct without any "third party". Your seem to have this naieve notion that animals live off fresh air or something. :confused:

That the ridiculous amount of meat being eaten in the west is causing a lot of environmental damage and will be unsustainable as the worlds population increases is a well known fact.
    You can tell people to stop telling you what to eat, but why don't you stop spouting idiotic nonsense to try to justify yourself telling them what to eat.

As for your stupid tiger comments, a tiger would have no problem eating a 10 year old child, am I morally inept for not wanting to do the same?
    Why don't you join us here in the real word it's not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Nothing more annoying than a militant vegetarian.

animals are tasty out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

SV wrote: »

animals are tasty out.

Indeed. We're omnivores, not herbivores. If you want to ignore our digestive design that's fine, just don't whine about it.

SV wrote: »

animals are tasty out.
    There are two types of people who are annoying, militant veggies and militant non-veggies.
    Both should get a life and stop insulting the other, stop questioning their morals and stop telling them how they should live their life.

What part of "meat is not essential for a healthy diet" do you not understand? Just repeating over and over again that it is, isn't going to change the fact that it isn't.
    Many people eat a veg diet because it's healthy, and not for moral reasons.

We evolved to eat insects too, they were a major part of our diet and a huge proportion of the world's population get a substantial amount of their protein from them still. Are we in the West irrational because we don't today?
    If you want to eat as people did over the course of our recent evolution you should be advocating doing that also.

You really are obsessed with this utterly ridiculous irrational non-point.
    If I was in Korea I wouldn't eat dog meat, because 1. the thought repulses me and 2. I wouldn't want to be part of the "process". Am I irrational for feeling that way along with most Westerners? Many people feel that way about cows, pigs, sheep etc, who the fuck are you to tell them they are irrational, or ill informed.

The irony of you telling people they are irrational or ill-informed when you spout nonsense about veg diets being unhealthy and meat production somehow has less impact on the environment than veg, is stunning. Animals eat veg and huge amounts of that energy goes into keeping them alive till slaughter and does not make its way to the human consumer, whereas veg goes direct without any "third party". Your seem to have this naieve notion that animals live off fresh air or something. :confused:

That the ridiculous amount of meat being eaten in the west is causing a lot of environmental damage and will be unsustainable as the worlds population increases is a well known fact.
    You can tell people to stop telling you what to eat, but why don't you stop spouting idiotic nonsense to try to justify yourself telling them what to eat.

As for your stupid tiger comments, a tiger would have no problem eating a 10 year old child, am I morally inept for not wanting to do the same?
    Why don't you join us here in the real word it's not that bad.

If there was a cogent argument anywhere in your long, rambling, disjointed post I would bother with a reply. As it is, I won't waste my (metaphorical) breath

Confab wrote: »
    Indeed. We're omnivores, not herbivores. If you want to ignore our digestive design that's fine, just don't whine about it.
    Interesting that the biggest whiner here, who totally ignores what our digestive system can do, actually thanked the above post. ROFL :D

If there was a cogent argument anywhere in your long, rambling, disjointed post I would bother with a reply. As it is, I won't waste my (metaphorical) breath
    Ha ha!! I win then. I'm off now to celebrate with an unhealthy salad sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Ha ha!! I win then. I'm off now to celebrate with an unhealthy salad sandwich.

It is unhealthy. At least you admit that

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

44leto wrote: »
    Okay Mr. Schwarzenegger.

I could have said mosquitoes, yes. Instead I said an animal that actually eats humans.

That's completely different. Snakes deliberately inject venom into their prey to kill them. Mosquitoes don't deliberately inject the malaria virus into their victim. All they want is some blood, which they can extract without killing their prey.

The malaria virus is a living organism that kills its victim independently of its original mosquito host. The mosquito is simply an unwitting carrier of the virus.

OK the malaria virus then, but man is still the apex predator on this world, our brains and organization is our weapons.

Again tell someone dying mrsa that were top of the food chain.

• Advertisement

It is unhealthy. At least you admit that
    I know you are being sarcastic towards my sarcasm because I wouldn't assume you are that stupid, though from some of the idiocity posted in this thread I could be wrong (though I doubt it).

Advertisement