Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Patrol & Florence And The Machine - Phoenix Park

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

panama wrote: »
    Is this a trolling attempt or are you for real?
    Two "mediocre soft indie pop/rock groups" who you paid your hard earned money to see? You hadn't heard them before but decided to go along anyway
    or was that just so you'd have something to moan about after?
    Also it's been well documented since the first gig on Thursday that the park was in poor condition after all the rain, you'd have to be somewhat dim to not prepare for muddy conditions after the guts of 100,000 people had been there on the same site in the last few days. Also seeing as you're a daily poster on here a quick browse of the threads on this part of the forum would have told you all you need to know about what to expect. The mind boggles.

I'm for real, it's my opinion. You'd have to be somewhat dim not to realise that people have varying opinions. Is there some unwritten rule that you only go to gigs of bands you've heard before? If everyone took that attitude, bands would never make it in the first place. And in any case 60 euro isn't a huge amount compared to what people pay for weekend festivals, etc.

I prepared for the muddy conditions. My preparation doesn't change the fact that the park was in a brutal state, with people walking around with mud on their faces. You'd have to be somewhat dim not to realise I bought my tickets before Thursday.

Glad you enjoyed the gig though. It really seemed to appeal to the demographic of girls aged 23-35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Thought the gig was incredible! Arrived early to get a pit pass and spent pretty much the whole thing around the middle/back of the pit - perfect view, perfect sound and a little bit of room to move around and breathe. Quite enjoyed Here We Go Magic, wasn't keen on We Are Augustines though. Bressie wasn't as bad as I'd been expecting, spent a lot of it taking the piss out of him really :P Thought the Temper Trap put on a very good show, although the crowd weren't really into it until Sweet Disposition. Florence was much better than I'd been expecting. I'd seen some recent videos where her voice sounded very weak, but I thought she did very well last night, especially since she was quite clearly out of it :pac: Snow Patrol were the ones I was mainly there to see, and they played brilliantly. I think that was the best I've seen them, although the setlist was a little bit dull for my tastes, very crowd pleasing. Not necessarily a bad thing, I just personally would have preferred one or two wildcards. I'd also been expecting Florence to do Set the Fire, was a bit surprised when it wasn't her!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Motorist wrote: »
    I'm for real, it's my opinion. You'd have to be somewhat dim not to realise that people have varying opinions. Is there some unwritten rule that you only go to gigs of bands you've heard before? If everyone took that attitude, bands would never make it in the first place. And in any case 60 euro isn't a huge amount compared to what people pay for weekend festivals, etc.

I prepared for the muddy conditions. My preparation doesn't change the fact that the park was in a brutal state, with people walking around with mud on their faces. You'd have to be somewhat dim not to realise I bought my tickets before Thursday.

Glad you enjoyed the gig though. It really seemed to appeal to the demographic of girls aged 23-35.

Just seeing this now, you just can't help being obnoxious can you?
    So you were aware of the conditions and you prepared for it yet you still wanted to come on here and rant about it, riiiight.

So you hadn't heard of Florence and the Machine or Snow Patrol before?

What if they were hardcore dance acts, :eek: would you have been able to live with yourself given your irrational hatred of that musical genre?
    Would you have spontaneously combusted with rage finding yourself surrounded by all the pillheads?

People generally tend to pay money to see bands they are interested in. Festivals are more for exploring new music when there are dozens of different acts on over the course of a few days rather than the Park gigs where you had a headline act plus support.

People walking around with mud on their faces, that is absolutely shocking! You'd think they'd have more sense than that wouldn't you.

Glad I enjoyed the gig? Erm thanks, as previously mentioned I went to the Stone Roses on Thursday and it appealed to an entirely different demographic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Just heard on 4fm there's a 19yo girl missing. She's from cork (I think) her mother is on the radio giving out her description as I type. She came up on a bus to go to Swedish house mafia and hasn't been seen since

Edit: her name is Aoife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

panama wrote: »
    Just heard on 4fm there's a 19yo girl missing. She's from cork (I think) her mother is on the radio giving out her description as I type. She came up on a bus to go to Swedish house mafia and hasn't been seen since

Edit: her name is Aoife.

From The Examiner...
    Gardaí are today searching for Aoife Finan, 19, from Cobh, Co Cork, who has been missing since last Saturday.

Aoife attended the Swedish House Mafia concert at Phoenix Park in Dublin on Saturday and has not been seen since about 11pm that night when she got seperated from her friends.

She is described at 5'5'', medium build with brown shoulder-length hair.

When last seen, she was wearing red leggings, purple and black wellington boots, white t-shirt and a faded denim jacket.

Anyone with information about Aoife's whereabouts is asked to contact Cobh Garda Station on 021 4908530

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I was raging that Snow Patrol didn't play spitting games. It's about the only snow patrol song i really like! They were good tho, left before the end of their set tho because I had my young niece with me :L

Florence was brilliant and I enjoyed every one of her songs.

Glad I'm a boy cause the urinals were handy, poor girls had to wait ages for the Porta-Loos :L

A lot of people were extremely drunk. There was a man ahead of me in the queue to get in at about half 4, he was hardly able to stand and couldn't talk but he was still allowed in and I thought that was ridiculous!
    Saw a girl no older than 15 snorting massive amounts of cocaine straight out of the bag, not even trying to hide it. Her eyes were rolling back in her head too. Lots of people falling in the muck, leaving their wellies behind and walking in socks, Rotten :L

People kicking muck at others just where the white things on the ground started, I thought this was funny but my niece hated it. In fairness to them, they stopped when they seen her which I thought was nice of them.

Overall I thought it was a brilliant night, no problems with the bar and no problems with the toilets (as longs as you're a man) :pac:
    I doubt there'll be many concerts in the phoenix park in the future, The place was wrecked! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

I thought it was a very good gig - was thoroughly patted down when going in - as was my little sister who is only 13. I missed most of Here We Go Magic but they seemed decent enough.
    We Are Augustines had a good set - yer man is a looker for Brad Pitt I think!
    I wasn't expecting to like Bressie - I was ripping the piss out of him beforehand, but actually enjoyed his set, he had good banter with the crowd. Managed to get into the pit so happy out.

Didn't really enjoy The Temper Trap - they were technically good but didn't interact with the crowd much and it was only for Sweet Disposition (which I heard being called Sweet Deposition too many times to be funny) that the crowd got going.

Florence was brilliant - saw her in London and she was the same with how she interacted - dazed and tipsy, although she was obviously pissed. She had a rough start - not warmed up enough, but she got into fairly well. I was disappointed that You've Got The Love wasn't played - one of my favourites. She's got a set of lungs on her. I actually preferred this gig to when she played in London - the crowd was putty in her hands. I have to say everyone sang very well along (when it was meant to be quiet it was, if that makes sense) and there was no pushing or anything, except when she came off the stage towards the crowd and some drunk girls started trying to get at her.

I wasn't planning on staying for all of Snow Patrol - wanted to go get some food and have a rest after being on my feet for most of the night, but after cramming a cheese burger when I asked for just a 1/4 pounder into my mouth, and queing for an extreme amount of time for the loo (seriously only 100 toilets there and only a few things of hand sanitiser) Snow Patrol were on very quickly, and I really enjoyed them! Wasn't there for them at all, but really glad I stayed! I was expecting Florence to do Set Fire as well, my favourite song but I thought the one they had on was ok. Her mic was a bit low however, could barely hear her! A lot of people left after Florence because I was standing at the very back of the pit but had a great view. The crowd loved it but I think they really stuck to the pleaser songs - played Just Say Yes twice. We left around 11 because we were worried we'd miss the bus - actually had plenty of time but wanted to beat the crowds.

People were complaining about the muck - yeah, it was bad but all I had on me were a pair of crappy wellies and a rain jacket, and I wasn't filthy at all. Then again, I wasn't drinking so I wasn't falling about in it like a lot of young girls were. You really had to watch where you were going. Sound quality wasn't great though, but still good enough.

All in all, a good night. The crowd wasn't very bad either, the worst was some idiot jumping on the white sheets on the ground where they sunk into the crowd and collected mucky water, and kicking it at people. Then again I stayed only on the left side of the park, no idea what was going on on the right! Security presence was visibly stepped up - saw many a garda wandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

What in the name of God was Mary Doyle Kennedy wearing when she walked on stage for "Set the Fire to the Third Bar", she looked like something from that Pride and Prejudice and Zombies book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

played Just Say Yes twice.

No they didn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rattlerlouis

Gig never really appealed to me from the moment it was announced. Snow Patrol gone stale with a couple of years now. People who went should have spared money and saved for Electric Picnic. Life changing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

SantryRed wrote: »
    No they didn't...

Did they not? Could've sworn I heard it twice...

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

This gig was amazing! I got in early so I managed to get a wrist band for the pit and managed to get right up front for The Temper Trap, Florence + The Machine & Snow Patrol.
    • Here We Go Magic - I didn't really catch much of this set but they seemed pretty good from what I heard.
    • We Are Augustines - Never heard of these guys before but I will be looking into their music since I really enjoyed their set :)
    • Bressie - I wasn't expecting Bressie but he seemed to have kept the crowd going.
    • The Temper Trap - I wasn't impressed by the Temper Trap at all, Maybe it was just me but I didn't think they interacted with the crowd very well, The place went off at the end though when they played "Sweet Disposition" so it was a nice build up to Florence..
    • Florence + The Machine - What can I say, No words can describe how amazing this was, Florence has some serious stage presence between interaction with the crowd and of course her amazing voice. She's not one to just stay in one spot, Really liked it when she jumped down off stage and ran past the crowd (near slipping at one point I might add), One of the highlights of the night that's for sure!
    • Snow Patrol - I've been wanting to see Snow Patrol for a lonnnng time and finally got to this weekend, They definitely did not disappoint, The show overall was amazing and I didn't want it to end really can't wait to see them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

just outta curiosity anyone know what the story is with Lost and Found?

My wallet went walkies

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭DC10555

danniemcq wrote: »
    just outta curiosity anyone know what the story is with Lost and Found?

My wallet went walkies

"All Lost Property in relation to any of the 3 Phoenix Park shows will be all sent to Cabra garda station – 01 6667400"

Quoted from the MCD site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

That missing girl from Cork was found safe and sound according to the news on RTÉ earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Anyone have Florence's setlist, was working there, so I missed a song or two. She was great from what I saw of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Here Is A Deadly Sounding Clip Of Run On Sunday Night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZJaW8U-r8&feature=plcp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

well florence rocked the place and gave snow patrol the best warm-up they ever could have got, they owe florence ALOT for how their own gigs crowd turned out!

great night, 2 class acts, but like I say the 2nd wouldnt have been as amped without the former stars performance. florence. what a show woman, such a cool girl and awesome musician REALLY got everyone going what an aura she has.

take a bow flo! :D

Advertisement