Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Patrol & Florence And The Machine - Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭yellow hen

nudger wrote: »
    Music louder now than the last few days (Ashtown), Much better behaved crowd today, small group outside the Halfway House no one looking drunk.
    Heard that the park is the pits, no amount of straw will sort it out.

Can hear it in crumlin too. Is that testing that's going on or what's on so early?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

It's doing my head in at this stage. Bass is very bad. Windows closed, earplugs in and I still can't ignore it.

I'm gonna have to give up studying and break out the AC/DC I think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

It is the atmospheric conditions that is causing the sound to travel so far. It is literally bouncing off the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

can hear it out here in rathfarnham , and im a 5 minute walk from marley park and can never hear those gigs so well :D

Has to be the wind/weather conditions :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

fiacha wrote: »
    It's doing my head in at this stage. Bass is very bad. Windows closed, earplugs in and I still can't ignore it.

I'm gonna have to give up studying and break out the AC/DC I think :D

Fairly pumping now fiacha.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭fiacha

I'm 1/4 way through a bottle of bourbon now, so I'm learning to live with it. Apart from a little bit of distorsion, I might as well be at the gig :)

Edit:

Just stuck me head out the back door. Poor Flo is sounding a bit ropey. I hope it's better at the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

I can hear florence and the machine, and the cheering crowds really well in Glasnevin, heard nothing the past two gigs!

I'm 1/4 way through a bottle of bourbon now, so I'm learning to live with it. Apart from a little bit of distorsion, I might as well be at the gig :)

Edit:

Just stuck me head out the back door. Poor Flo is sounding a bit ropey. I hope it's better at the gig.

All gone a bit quiet, tea break? not over is it?

You have inspired me, crack's seal and pours.

Cheers.

Forgot Snow Patrol, keep the bottle handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭RabbitHearted

If you look at her twitter and see the amount of drinking she did last night I'm not surprised :P

That's the clearest I've heard a band playing in the Park since Robbie Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Florence was brilliant, although this could be tha drink. The girl I went with was on me back the entire time so my back is prob f**ked too.

Will post more tomorrow, F**k help me in work tomorrow :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Thought the gig was crap. Two mediocre soft indie pop/rock bands, with a repertoire of boring music that all sounds the same. Florence is some hippy, I was sure she would start worshiping the sky at one point.

The park was in bits, mud was well over a foot deep at one stage. The crowd control for entering the bar was really badly managed, at several stages massive crushes ensued while people waited for event security to let them through.

Would have been a great gig for a 21 year old girl off her head on booze though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Motorist wrote: »
    Thought the gig was crap. Two mediocre soft indie pop/rock bands, with a repertoire of boring music that all sounds the same. Florence is some hippy, I was sure she would start worshiping the sky at one point.

The park was in bits, mud was well over a foot deep at one stage. The crowd control for entering the bar was really badly managed, at several stages massive crushes ensued while people waited for event security to let them through.

Would have been a great gig for a 21 year old girl off her head on booze though.

Why would you go if you don't like the two headlining bands? :confused:

I thought it was good! It was as muddy as I was expecting, so I was prepared for it which was grand. We just moved up through the crowd until we were standing on the plasticy ground and it was fine. Only made it in half way through Florence, she was ok, not as great as people were making her out to be although I'm not a huge fan of hers. I thought snow patrol themselves were as good as they always are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Great gig, will post more tomorrow as I also have a busy day.

Florence was good, but Snow Patrol absolutely teared the place apart and made all the other support acts look amateur.

First time seeing SP and would definitely consider doing it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Why would you go if you don't like the two headlining bands? :confused:

I thought it was good! It was as muddy as I was expecting, so I was prepared for it which was grand. We just moved up through the crowd until we were standing on the plasticy ground and it was fine. Only made it in half way through Florence, she was ok, not as great as people were making her out to be although I'm not a huge fan of hers. I thought snow patrol themselves were as good as they always are.

Just wanted to check out both bands, hadn't really listened to much of their stuff. I'm glad you enjoyed as did the majority of people around me, and in spite of the countless hammered, drunk teenage girls I saw barely able to stand, I appreciate that it was probably ten times better than last night.The venue was in awful state though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Great day out I found. Go off at Ashtown, walked in at 3.30 and got a pit pass. Horsed into the beers, We are magic weren't special, the augustines i found were good, bressie was fine for backround music.

Plenty of variety out there. Had a Thai chicken curry for dinner for €8. Nom Nom! The ground was in bits with specs of clean straw here and there. Temper trap were ok.

The 2 headliners were brilliant imo, Florence has some lungs on her, blasted out the tunes mostly ceremonials stuff. Snow Patrol was the highlight, Lightbody had the crowd in the palm of his hand, did a good mix of new and old stuff, mostly up beat, some amazing lighting effect and the sound was quality though i was 20ft from the stage.

The only fault i found was getting out of there. Dublin Bus, Dart, Luas all finished up, taxis not allowed into the park, had to walk from the main stage to Temple Bar to get a taxi, plus the lighting when walking in the park was brutal.

Going to be hell getting up for work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The only fault i found was getting out of there. Dublin Bus, Dart, Luas all finished up, taxis not allowed into the park, had to walk from the main stage to Temple Bar to get a taxi, plus the lighting when walking in the park was brutal.

Going to be hell getting up for work tomorrow

Plenty of Dublin buses were leaving the city centre when I walked out of the park, and I was there about 11:30.

Was pleased with this, shows some improvement on MCD's part, and SP finished earlier than Stone Roses so it was less hassle for the locals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Motorist wrote: »

Is this a trolling attempt or are you for real?
    Two "mediocre soft indie pop/rock groups" who you paid your hard earned money to see? You hadn't heard them before but decided to go along anyway or was that just so you'd have something to moan about after?
    Also it's been well documented since the first gig on Thursday that the park was in poor condition after all the rain, you'd have to be somewhat dim to not prepare for muddy conditions after the guts of 100,000 people had been there on the same site in the last few days. Also seeing as you're a daily poster on here a quick browse of the threads on this part of the forum would have told you all you need to know about what to expect. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I thought Florence was brilliant, she never seemed to stop bouncing around and gave it socks.

Didn't know what to expect from Snow Patrol but they were very good, lots of sing-along stuff, really got the crowd into it, although I'd say a lot of people left after Florence.

Mud was manageable, we were up on the plastic flooring from Temper Trap onwards, only real annoyance was the queue for the jacks.

Had to walk to Patrick Street afterwards.

Crowd seemed very chilled out, hard to imagine the sort of **** that had gone on the previous night happening with last night's crowd. Although I was surprised at the lack of proper searching at the entrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What time did this finish at?

Could hear Snow Patrol loud and clear and then I'm presuming what was a mega-bad-music house party a few streets over kicked off or else Adele played at the gig too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I was at the gig last night and i really enjoyed myself, Was it just me or did florance not sing "You got the love"?,

I got a train back into the city center from Ashtown and found it to be great, That part of pheonix park will take a long time to get over with the amount of mud i walked through on the way out and on the way home.

Snow patrol was good also but they just wern't as good as the last time I seen them at oxegen, They didn't play with the crowd as much and when they were at oxegen and let the crowd sing...That was breathtaking, But other than that was very good.

Weather wise, We got of with a very light drizzle but it didn't dampen any spirts.

Drinks - Was on the Heniken and not gonna lie but my pints were lovely, And same prices as Inner city Dublin so all was good.

Stage was the very same as oxegens, MCD also stuck down some flooring from the sound desk to the stage and that was a nice added feature but of course they would us that as a roadway at punchestown and thay could have had more on the exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Florence was brilliant - although I did miss 3 damn songs queuing for the toilets which IMO was a joke - like 200 toilets for that many people was ridiculous! Ended up dancing with the girls while queuing.

Snow Patrol were fantastic. Seen them a few years ago at a festival in Belgium and OMG they really got the crowd going and were just brilliant live. My sister is a big fan and has gone to every gig they've played in Dublin and I have to say i will be going with her from now on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭sisco

Gig was amazing!!!!!

Florence was the highlight of the night she was so much better then snow patrol in my opinion. Everyone who I asked yesterday said they where there for Florence. Dont get me wrong Snow Patrol where great but they had nothing on Florence everyone was dancing and bopping to every one of Her songs so much better......

Was very chilled yesterday too I was up at like the second barrier and MCD Security where taking out anyone who was causing any trouble at all

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Not a fan of Snow Patrol or Florence but have to say Snow Patrol put on a great show, they play great live, albeit a bit short.

Florence on the other hand didn't hit one note on key all night, skipped around like a fool and talked to the audience as if we were all let out of the mental home for the day, not a fan.

Would see Snow Patrol again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heard horrible things about Snow Pattol live.. but they really were superb. Gary introducing his Mum and Dad was a nice touch. Guy behind me proposed to his girlfriend during the final song (Just Say Yes). Was just a shame they didn't play Spitting Games - a personal favourite of mine.

Florence was superb too. Such a voice on Florence Welch and songs like Cosmic Love brought the place down.

Grabbed a burger and beer during Temper Trap so missed most of their set. Loved their first album but didn't really sound like they got much of a reaction - bar Sweet Disposition.

Bressie was... Bressie really. Not my cup of tea.

Didn't see Here We Go Magic or The Augustines as only arrived at about 4.30.

Messy enough crowd but didn't see any trouble - bar a knife in the grass walking up through Farmleigh.

Basq wrote: »
    Heard horrible things about Snow Pattol live.. but they really were superb. Gary introducing his Mum and Dad was a nice touch. Guy behind me proposed to his girlfriend during the final song (Just Say Yes). Was just a shame they didn't play Spitting Games - a personal favourite of mine.

messy enough crowd but didn't see any trouble - bar a knife in the grass walking up through Farmleigh.

Yeah i thought that was really cute of him - good to see his family supporting him at gigs.
    The proposal thing is genius i must say, fair fecks to him... Any idea what her answer was?? ha

knife in the grass, maybe you should report that to the guards espec with the previous nights antics, might be what they are looking for you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Naid23 wrote: »
    The proposal thing is genius i must say, fair fecks to him... Any idea what her answer was?? ha
    It was a yes...! :)
    Naid23 wrote: »
    knife in the grass, maybe you should report that to the guards espec with the previous nights antics, might be what they are looking for you know.
    Yeah, was thinking the same alright.

Basq wrote: »
    It was a yes...! :)

Yeah, was thinking the same alright.

Yeah think it might be best to report that - at the very least to get it out of the park before some kid picks it up or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Just finished scrubbing the last of the mud off my wellies. Yes it was pretty mucky there yesterday but luckily I was prepared and so was able to enjoy the bands in comfort.

Got talking to a couple of ladies in the queue for the toilets who said the bar staff were telling them that the previous night had been scary and that we were a completely different crowd.

There was the usual very very drunk young wans from the get go. One had to be carted off before Bressie! Security and stewards were quick to respond to everything. The lads were being checked with metal detectors on the way in yesterday, not sure if it was a new measure introduced after Saturday night or whether it was in effect for all the gigs.

Toilets and bar queues weren't bad until just before Florence but still manageable. I think due to the weather that many stayed away until the last 2 acts.

Arrived during Here we go magic: they were fine, don't know them, won't remember them.

We are Augustines: decent band, enjoyed their set.

Bressie: he got the crowd going so job done.

Temper Trap: I only wanted to see Fader and the crowd went mental during Sweet Dispostion but apart from that a very average set and they lost the crowd for alot of it.

Florence: amazing as per usual. Really wanted to see how she'd hold up during a large outside gig and she delivered but I thought the set list could have been better thought out.

Didn't stay for Snow Patrol, just went to see Florence. Walked out to see a very drunk and muddy girl, throwing a tantrum with her arse on show, rolling around on the ground, with a defeated looking boyfriend standing over her. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

KeithTS wrote: »
    Not a fan of Snow Patrol or Florence but have to say Snow Patrol put on a great show, they play great live, albeit a bit short.

Florence on the other hand didn't hit one note on key all night, skipped around like a fool and talked to the audience as if we were all let out of the mental home for the day, not a fan.

Would see Snow Patrol again though.

I agree with this. Florence was enjoyable, but not amazing. I hated the parts when she spoke, she was just irritating. Even as she finished up it was very flat, hardly any atmosphere.

Snow Patrol were fab. Really built up the necessary atmosphere. My friend reckoned by the difference in the atmosphere for the 2 acts that most people had come to see Snow Patrol, not Florence.

The only thing I'd say about Snow Patrol was that the set list didn't flow very well in my opinion.

Advertisement