Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY e-liquid advice needed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm vaping a lemon/menthol mix at the moment and it's absolutely amazing. I made up a plain lemon mix first, and it was ok, but nothing special, so I added more lemon flavour and a bit of menthol and that really brought it to life. It's actually a bit like those hard lemon sweets with the sherbet inside. From now on I'm adding menthol to everything :)

That sounds nice I may try that what brand of concentrates are you using?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Inaweraflavours own brand for favours and the nic base, then some VG from boots. I basically used:

10ml 38mg PG
    20ml 0mg VG
    2ml Inawera lemon concentrate.

I left it steep for 2 days. Then I then used about 3ml of that, and it was ok, flavour wasn't very strong, although it got a bit stronger near the end so it may have improved if I left it steep a little longer. But I went ahead and added:

1ml Inawera lemon concentrate
    1ml Inawera menthol concentrate

I probably should have left this steep a little more, sometimes the flavour swings a bit between all lemon and all menthol, but most of the time it's a perfect blend of the the two. The flavour is pretty strong too, I think when I go to make it again I'll make it a good bit weaker and try steep for a week to see if that works better. But it's not too strong as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Did you see that e-smokeireland is selling Nicvapes 100ml 50mg for €16?

This works out very nicely price-wise, about 275ml of 18mg factoring in a 12% flavour ratio - and a lot less hassle than getting it shipped from Inawera, plus the Nicvapes nic has a brilliant rep for being super clean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

mrplop wrote: »
    Did you see that e-smokeireland is selling Nicvapes 100ml 50mg for €16?

This works out very nicely price-wise, about 275ml of 18mg factoring in a 12% flavour ratio - and a lot less hassle than getting it shipped from Inawera, plus the Nicvapes nic has a brilliant rep for being super clean.

yeah and e-cigshop have inawera nic liquid in various pg/vg formulas and 0mg pg/vg stuff too, only noticed that today after newmark pointed it out

I have some of e-smokes 50mg ordered since earlier in the week so I'd imagine it'll be a while before I need to order any more, but I do like e-cigshops variety of pg/vg blends of nic liquid and afaik e-smoke aren't intending on supplying 0mg pg/vg

e-cigshop also have a few inawera flavours too, which is pretty cool. e-smoke are getting some in the future.. I think?.. either way it'll be great to have irish options to order this stuff even if only so you can order some flavour you havent tried before on a whim and cheap/quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

The Nicvapes stuff is a lot nicer than the Inawera nic in my opinion and I'm getting rid of all my Inawera flavours too - kind of all tastes the same to me - too sweet.

• Advertisement

hrm
    cant say I noticed much sweetness.. although I have only used inawera nic juice so maybe ill notice a difference with the nicvape stuff

im having some trouble with my diy's atm

I made up about 90ml each of american type and us red mix in the middle of march. and I can remember enjoying them at the time after a weeks steeping but now after 1-1.5 months in the drawer I am hardly getting any flavour from them

they smell the same.. if I exit the room and come back in I can smell the juice I've been vaping.. but in a boge cartomiser I'm getting bugger all flavour.

maybe my tastes have changed after vaping so much liqua tobaccos over the past few weeks, or even after using the RDA exclusively for almost a month but.. I am dissapoint.

I still have some of the concentrates here so when I get the nicvapes I guess im gona start from scratch with 5ml of each at 5%/10% and see what they're like after a couple of weeks. I do need a good tobacco DIY as a main stay but at the moment I'm going to have to order another 30ml of liqua tobacco next week to keep me going in between fruit juices.

healthabin order arrived with some new diy flavours

the litchi smells exactly like the dekang litchi I know and love. super excited about this one. got 20ml of it hoping it would be nice and it's already looking good

pineapple/orange/cranberry/banana all smell ok. banana smells delicious but quite artificial, like a banana milkshake. orange smells kinda like one of those cheap orange scented aerosols.. cranberry and pineapple smell pretty nice

the most important of my new diy flavours, the tobaccos

deluxe tobacco, usa mix and flue cured

they call smell kinda nutty, deluxe and usa mix smell similar but with deluxe smelling far stronger. flue cured is the strongest smelling of the lot and also the nicest. There's a kind of sharp edge to them all that might just be down to the strength of the concentrate.. not sure if it'll transfer into the mix

i wasnt going to bother mixing anything until next week but i'll do up 5ml of each of the tobaccos and one or two of the fruits today. I wont have any dripping atomisers until next week anyway so by the time they arrive they should be well steeped.
    as always 10% is the order of the day
    kinda tempted to do a mixed fruits juice too.. orange/pineapple/cranberry?.... could be a winner

just did 2ml of each of my flavours @ 10% but I noticed something

I decided to see how many drops it actually took to make 1ml

10 drops was .25 ml
    so 40 drops is 1ml not the 20 I had previously been using (and telling people)

I guess it really does depend on the type of stopper/bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

I guess it really does depend on the type of stopper/bottle
    thickness of liquid making the difference as well ( it is not same for every kind of flavour we using)

yeah all the flavours I had were from healthcabin so after 2-3 bottles I stopped using a syringe and just assumed they were near enough the same consistency

over time I'll get an idea for which flavours I like most and I'll be able to measure them properly so I know how many drops per ml, painin the sack doing it for every single flavour though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Got my 400ml of clear base liquid and my natural mint and tobacco flavours today, but it's not worked out too well at all. Very hard to describe the result, but it's really not great.

I don't like really strong tobacco flavours anymore, but the mint on its own doesn't have enough of a kick to it.

I've just ordered 200ml of the tobacco flavoured base liquid, which I'm going to mix with the clear base liquid I bought, and then add the mint to that. I wish TBS still sold the premium tobacco mint stuff they used to.

i think the TBS premium stuff was Hangsen os maybe you can find it elsewhere

i found inawera eucalyptus to have an amazing kick to it as well as being damned tasty. I hated the tobacco base liquiad though, dirty neutral base? every juice I mixed with it tasted the same

Eoin wrote: »
    Got my 400ml of clear base liquid and my natural mint and tobacco flavours today, but it's not worked out too well at all. Very hard to describe the result, but it's really not great.

I don't like really strong tobacco flavours anymore, but the mint on its own doesn't have enough of a kick to it.

I've just ordered 200ml of the tobacco flavoured base liquid, which I'm going to mix with the clear base liquid I bought, and then add the mint to that. I wish TBS still sold the premium tobacco mint stuff they used to.

Eoin
    Need some more info to advise you.
    What brand base and strength was it?
    How much did you make up and what exactly did u put into it, as in percentage ratio of concentrate, pg or vg base.
    Its a good idea to just make 10ml sizes first until you are happy with result and then go for a larger quantity at that stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

newmark wrote: »
    Eoin
    Need some more info to advise you.
    What brand base and strength was it?
    How much did you make up and what exactly did u put into it, as in percentage ratio of concentrate, pg or vg base.
    Its a good idea to just make 10ml sizes first until you are happy with result and then go for a larger quantity at that stage.

Sorry, was more a rant than looking for advice! I made a small enough batch for testing which I can put up with for the time being.

I previously found the tobacco flavoured base liquid a little strong for my tastes, so I'm just going to tone it down with the flavourless stuff that I already have, and add the natural mint to it. Pretty sure that will do it.
    i think the TBS premium stuff was Hangsen os maybe you can find it elsewhere

Ta, will have a poke around.
    i found inawera eucalyptus to have an amazing kick to it as well as being damned tasty. I hated the tobacco base liquiad though, dirty neutral base? every juice I mixed with it tasted the same

It's this stuff:
    http://www.inawera.com/universal-base-mgml-100-ml-p-619.html

ah right that base is grand.. i have the same stuff but 50:50 pg/vg

it's the dirty neutral base I hated.. they said it was for tobacco juices to give it more of an ashtray flavour.. Ijust found it made every juice taste the same.

flavours from liberty flights arrived today
    got some of the bitter wizard, mts vape wizard and m-type so should be interesting to see how they affect my tobacco juices. going to have to make 3-4 different mixes of a couple of tobaccos with each one added and see which I prefer

also got

Flavourart usa mix... this smells very strange. very sharp and kinda grassy.
    perfumers apprentice tobacco blend... smells kinda like honey, not sure about this one
    Perfumers apprentice Dulche de leche.. smells kinda like a mocha frappacino... i like
    Flavourart ultimate maxboro... smells kinda like coffee with a small hint of tobacco.. interesting
    Perfumers apprentice tutti fruti. smells kinda like...fruit.. *shrug*

Flavourtart black fire tobacco. this one is very very strange. it smells like an ashtray. I get nothing else from this except the smell of a freshly used ashtray.
    ill have to look online to see is it for juices on its own, or 1 drop per 10ml to add a bit of a kick to other juices

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭pillphil

Does anyone use flavourless e-liquid on its own?
    Have tried RY4, Vanilla (tolerable), Swedish Fish(more jelly in a packet than refreshers, too sweet), Strawberry Milkshake(meh), Reggae Night(bleugh), Coffee(bitter) and Menthol.
    Haven't really liked any of them. Don't really want to try tobacco flavours, the reason I'm trying the e-cigarette is because I'm sick of the taste of tobacco.

Maybe try some fruit flavours? I have some spare I can post to you if you want to mix them with a flavourless base. There are some sweeter coffee flavours, but personally I can't stand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

pillphil wrote: »
    Does anyone use flavourless e-liquid on its own?

Tried it, and without a flavour to mask nicotine's odd 'feel', you'd be as soon back on the analogs.
    Most of the ready-made flavours that I hated when I got the e-cig, I've basically diluted with a flavourless nicotine base and nicotine-less base.
    I hated RY4, decided to dilute it (REEEMIIIX!!!) and me four months ago would've loved this flavour (not really mad about tobacco flavours nowadays, apart from flue-cured tobacco), and me nowadays thinks it's tolerable (pre-dilution it was an absolute no-go).

Ok think I've finally rediscovered the mix I had a while ago.

Two thirds tobacco flavoured base liquid mixed with one third clear base, and then add 10% natural mint.

Gives a nice throat hit without being too tobacco-y.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Anyone get the base from e-smoke Ireland?

Noticeable difference with the Inawera bases if you have tried that also?

• Advertisement

i have it but haven't used it yet

someone here was saying it's nicvape base which is apparently well received..

Yeah knew it was Nicvape and it seems popular enough.
    Let us know if ya notice any difference between two 5ml bottles of juice maybe?

i'll do some mixes tomorrow with the same ceoncetrate and let you know after I've let them steep for a few days. ive been trying to perfect the RDA before I tested any of my diy's that I have steeping.. good news is I think I have it

3 ohm coil with 1.5 nichrome, 9-10 turns.. great flavour :) I think I'm just some sort of flavour freak to need this many turns on the wick before I'm properly satisfied

Yeah that be great, thanks.

really enjoying these healthcabin tobacco concentrates

the usa mix is a lovely tobacco with a pretty damn nutty undertone to the exhale

the flu cured tastes very nice. cant really describe it.. nice and tobacco-y

i only mixed them at 10% and ive seen a few places they are meant to be mixed around 30% or higher.. so i'll do up another mix at that strength to see what they're like but they're well worth an order if you're after some good tobacco concentrates

--edit

just tried the deluxe tobacco. like the other two, quite delicious although pretty hard to describe. just a general tobacco vibe.

ill report back when I've mixed these @ 20 and 30% and left steep for a week

have about 20 10ml and 20ml bottles so I might as well do up a **** ton of variations

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I read somewhere that a hot water bath can take the place of steeping. So when I made up a new batch of lemon+menthol last night, I filled a mug of hot water and put the bottle in, and repeated once more when the water got the cold.

Vaping the juice today, and I think it really has made a difference. The lemon flavour seems deeper and more complex. The menthol is possibly a little weaker, but more integrated into the over all flavour. What's even more impressive is that I was running out of lemon flavouring so only used half the amount I did before.

I'm pretty impressed with the result and can see myself doing this for all my juices from now on.

yeah I read that too and saw a few people singing its praises

there were also people saying it wasn't advisable though.. although I forget exactly why
    not for any health reasons anyway but for overall flavour

ill have a google later if I remewmber

testing these mixes now

the healthcabin flue cured is lovely at either 20 or 30%
    i think really its 20%.. cos I did it wrong. I had x amount of ml nic juice then added 30% of that in concentrate... instead of working out what 100% would be and then puting in 30% of that ... so I think I worked it out at the time it was actually 20%

but its still lovely
    still dont remember what flue cured dekang is like.. but I think it's actually pretty authentic. there's a definite ... dekang twang to this mix
    as far as tobacco concentrates go.. this is definitely a winner, ill try another mix at 30% to see if it gets even better

--edit

well none of the other healthcabin flavours turned out any good, definitely need to add more to the mixes.. there was a hint of something to all of them but just wasn't enough

currently vaping some flavourarts usa mix @ 3%
    it's definitely true what they say about flavourarts concentrates... this could maybe be a touch stronger but the flavour is coming through in a big way even at such a low percentage
    such a shame it's not actually that nice... kinda like vaping wet hay

flavourart black fire tobacco @ 3%. like taking a stubbed out cigarette form an ashtray and sucking on it.
    weirdest ****ing **** i've ever vaped.

Have you tried the Flavourart RY4? I found it fairly good if you like RY4 type eliquids, it might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Stefan_Cork

newmark wrote: »
    Have you tried the Flavourart RY4? I found it fairly good if you like RY4 type eliquids, it might be worth a shot.

I must try that only got the Perf.Appr. stuff and tried at 12%.
    At first (after 1h check) i got a hint of something wierd but that changed with steeping for
    me from 3/4+ days to a real nice savoury with a hint of something nutty.

Not like ry4 at all but very interesting and a good starter base to experiment further.

Advertisement