Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats considered a good salary?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 76 ✭✭RXMPS

You really think that someone on 100k only pays 30k tax ???

In the story above I am taking it that the wife is at home minding the kids, he has her tax credits:D

Yeah I do think he pays 30k tax.Around that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

I'd say it's closer to 40 or 45k tax! If they are PS your looking at pension levys as well as income levies, prsi, paye, USC! We really should be talking in nett figures when talking salaries tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

And thats just killing you that i wont tell you where I work isnt it.
    Do you seriously expect someone to post where they work on the internet?

I dont need to give you proof. It makes no difference to my life whether or not you know where I work or if you believe me or not. It makes no difference to your life either. But it seems to knaw at you.

You work for the Irish Cricket Union, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes - It is an American company , but here in Ireland.

It's not "Normal performance - It's below expectations , being in the bottom 10% means that you haven't done the job you were expected to do.

Basically , if you are in the bottom 10% you are given a warning and told that your performance is not up to scratch and that you'll be reviewed again in 3 months.

If at that time you are still performing below the expected level you are shown the door.

There is a 5 point scale for the annual review - 5 being top , 1 being bottom

About 5% will get a "5" , about 10% will get "4" , about 65%-70% will get a "3" , 5-10% will get a "2" and the remainder will get the dreaded "1"

People on 4 or 5 score will get a good pay rise and bonus , those getting a 3 will likely get a bonus but no pay rise and those on 1 and 2 will get nothing , with the 1's getting the warning and follow up review as described above.

All of the pay rises/bonus are based on the company hitting it's overall goals btw - I got no payrises at all during 2002 to 2008 as the company were going through a rough patch, but they've been doing well for the last 4 years or so despite the overall economy...

It's harsh ,but it's the way it's always been , the company are very transparent about how the process works and everybody is well informed through the year - In other words , nobody getting a "1" should be surprised, it will have been flagged all year in meetings with their managers etc.

Sounds like Cisco. Is it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

woodoo wrote: »
    Thats true. And what if everyone hits their targets does nobody get sacked.

In theory yes, however it never quite works out like that. Having said that even if everyone hit their targets you'd still have a bottom 10% . They wouldn't get fired , but equally they wouldn't get payrises or bonus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

gaf1983 wrote: »
    Sounds like Cisco. Is it?

Not Cisco , but I know lots of people working in a variety of High Tech US companies and they all follow the same basic process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Aye, but your back would be f***ed from all the bending down to pick it up!!!:p

not if you buy one of these bad boys http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-47418-Litter-Picker-Pick-up/dp/B001GUXO4M

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Are you saying you want to reduce your own holidays to 2 weeks a year?
    Or just other peoples?

I work in a place where we have better terms than the public sector.
    27 days hols with an extra day for each year of service. (plus good Friday and the days at christmas as bonus days)
    35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    Noone in the company on less than 75k
    VHI
    Bonus
    8% of salary paid into pension whether you contribute yourself or not.
    €350 a month towards mortgage or rent every month on top of your salary.

And I havent seen a year yet where we didnt get a pay rise of less than 5%.

And would you believe it, most of my colleagues still complain about what the public sector get every day.

I think its just in people nature to begrudge someone else.

your a solicitor right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

marketty wrote: »
    So true, reminds me of a quote I heard from someone, can't remember who
    'the difference between Ireland and America is that in America people see a wealthy man with a nice house and nice car and say "I want to be that guy" whereas in Ireland they say "I want to kill that guy" '
    How come so many people expect guards nurses and teachers to work for minimum wage yet the same people often won't come off the dole for a minimum wage job?

It was Bono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Apparently not... I keep asking and nobody wants to reply :(

I shared mine, but was called a liar. Then everyone wants to know where you work, as if you are going to put that on the internet. If you dont tell them you are working for the public sector, or a union, or a banker, or a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

mickrock wrote: »
    Taller men tend to earn more.

Try to be taller.

But how tall is tall enough to earn more?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

But how tall is tall enough to earn more?

Well, I'm 6'3, so I'd have to be:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5c/Robert_Wadlow.jpg/220px-Robert_Wadlow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38 freckles1234

bluewolf wrote: »
    more than i get
    I get €400 a weak with no mortage. how bad is that

None of you know what your talking bout

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I get €400 a weak with no mortage. how bad is that

Pretty week alright.

dream on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it's impossible to say what a good salary is without context. I'm happy with my wages right now - 3 days off a week, at college too part time, and I've enough to afford my rent and bills, go out a few times a week, do a big shop every week, and buy myself nice things, be they games, or upgrades to my pc/xbox/tv or whatever - but I've no dependents, just my own self. However, that won't be good forever. And I would hate for it to be forever, when my responsibilities and priorities change. But for now, yeah, it's a good salary and I'm happy with it.

Anyway, to me, anything around the 35K+ bracket is decent. I aspire towards having a job I like, and enough money that I can afford nice things within reason- my social time and enjoying life is as important to me as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

For a ~66 hour week working for the money grabbing public service "booooo hisss, string 'em up. " digging trenches, fortifying positions, getting rained on, getting shouted at and such I got €327 after deductions.

Umm, Department of Finance?

Advertisement