Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats considered a good salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What climate? I dont think temperatures have a big effect on what is a good salary. Unless you are an ice cream man.

:D

For me and most other people, a decent wage is about 10K more than we're getting at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yeah, I know that, but the Average that everyone refers to here is what you and I call the Mean. As in the Average Wage. :rolleyes:

Fail again, there are three Means, the Arithmetic Mean, the Geometric Mean and the Harmonic Mean. That's why I suggested you refer to the AM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Dudess wrote: »
    How do you know it's the majority? ":)"
    Do you have access to their payroll?

I'm not saying there aren't people paid extremely high salaries there, although I wouldn't say what the salaries are unless I actually knew. I certainly wouldn't just pretend the highest paid electrician is representative of all of them. We all know an entry level sparky is not being paid 96k.

That's just the networks side - what about admin/clerical? Facilities? Bar senior management, these people get paid miles and miles off 70-96k. But some folks pretend that's not the case.

I siad did you ever stop to "think" that it might be? Equally, can you prove that it isn't? You go on about people "pretending", but have you stopped - even for a moment - to consider it? I know of four ESB electricians (two now retired) and their wages are phenomenal. Good luck to them. But it is a reality. Not a myth as you would like it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I siad did you ever stop to "think" that it might be? Equally, can you prove that it isn't? You go on about people "pretending", but have you stopped - even for a moment - to consider it? I know of four ESB electricians (two now retired) and their wages are phenomenal. Good luck to them. But it is a reality. Not a myth as you would like it to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Appeal to ignorance: the claim that whatever has not been proved false must be true, and vice versa. (e.g., There is no compelling evidence that UFOs are not visiting the Earth; therefore, UFOs exist, and there is intelligent life elsewhere in the Universe. Or: There may be seventy kazillion other worlds, but not one is known to have the moral advancement of the Earth, so we're still central to the Universe.) This impatience with ambiguity can be criticized in the phrase: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

every time i wonder should i get a new sig, someone gives me a reason to keep it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

munster87 wrote: »
    Some lads on here should really focus on their own lives and not be so bothered by other peoples jobs

but the point is the system is very wrong and unfair when other peoples taxes are going to pamper one little section of society, though exceptionally high wages and pensions. Why should average public sector pay south of the border be 48k while north of the border / in the UK its 21.5k a year stg? I thought it was us whose government was bust / getting bailouts/loans from the IMF/EU/UK which will have to be repaid?
    |Spending on our public sector, even with the recent small cutbacks, has still doubled in the past ten years.
    Morale in the country will not improve until the public sector gravy train is tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

gigino wrote: »
    Some lads on here should really focus on their own lives and not be so bothered by other peoples jobs

but the point is the system is very wrong and unfair when other peoples taxes are going to pamper one little section of society, though exceptionally high wages and pensions. Why should average public sector pay south of the border be 48k while north of the border / in the UK its 21.5k a year stg? I thought it was us whose government was bust / getting bailouts/loans from the IMF/EU/UK which will have to be repaid?
    |Spending on our public sector, even with the recent small cutbacks, has still doubled in the past ten years.
    Morale in the country will not improve until the public sector gravy train is tackled.

Be thankful you yourself are earning enough to survive on and get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Freddie59 wrote: »

I'm not saying there aren't people paid extremely high salaries there, although I wouldn't say what the salaries are unless I actually knew. I certainly wouldn't just pretend the highest paid electrician is representative of all of them. We all know an entry level sparky is not being paid 96k.

That's just the networks side - what about admin/clerical? Facilities? Bar senior management, these people get paid miles and miles off 70-96k. But some folks pretend that's not the case.

I acknowledged there are extremely highly paid technical staff there, but some people like to say it's like this across the board - it isn't. The average is due to the minority. It's unfair to sneer at e.g. a phone agent and assume they're earning a fortune on the basis of the salary of a senior technician in a separate department.

And I'm not someone who thinks a low salary is something that's actually kinda good. If I were on e.g. 30 grand I'd be loaded.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Bash the public sector or don't bash the public sector.. It doesn't matter.

Unfortunately the general perception of all PS workers is that of a spoilt group of people riding the gravy train who will quite happily hold the country to ransom if they don't get their way.. Unjustifiably high salaries for certain groups and limitless monies to throw away on useless or unrequired projects while others such as education and healthcare suffer..

I know PS workers who like their jobs, work hard and do a good job. I also know ones that are a complete waste of space.

The general gripe most people have with the PS is their lack of accountability. If someone screws up, very little is done about it. Benchmarking didnt help as it gave everyone a payrise irrespective of whether they deserved it or not. The ones that did deserve it got tarred with the same brush as those that didn't.

The PS unions pushing for payrises when large portions of the private sector were wondering if they would a job or not in the near future.

The biggest problem the PS have is the way they are perceived by the general public and tax payer who is being taxed more and more and all they hear about is the gov paying huge percentages of its income in PS wages.

Yes those on lower pay scales are being hammered by levies etc while the fat cats at the top are getting larger salaries for doing SFA..

The only way this can be solved is a complete over haul and a private sector mentality brought in. The fat needs to be trimmed, less middle management and a more efficient PS workforce put in place with the resources to do their job properly. Incentives for increased productivity from workers etc.

Of course its never going to happen because PS unions have had every government by the balls since day one.

Maybe an overhaul of the unions might be the first place to start and make them more accountable..

Be thankful you yourself are earning enough to survive on and get over it

"i'm all right jack" is not the correct attitude to take. There is something very wrong and unfair with the nations finances, when public service pay north of the border is double what it is south of the border. And when you compare people from the private sector here doing the same job as the public sector. It does not matter if they are a vet or a security man - the public service person is practically always overpaid and overpensioned in this rotten little state.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I get paid f##k all, but I don't really care. I get by. Complaining about others won't increase my wage. Some lads on here should really focus on their own lives and not be so bothered by other peoples jobs

I get paid just about or slightly under the average.
    And my taxes fund the public sector.
    Why should I not ask where my money goes and how it is spent?
    Also, "we the people" elect those muppets in power who decide how the money gets spent, so, YES, this is MY money, I should get to decide what is done with it (through my vote) and if I complain the right way, maybe, finally, there will be a slash and burn in the public sector, bringing down their gigantic payroll and therefore maybe even lowering my taxes.
    So, to disprove your head in the sand argument, complaining about massive wages in the public sector WILL improve my salary.
    Maybe right now we're not complaining the right way, but eventually the people will have to complain by voting in different politicians and if that doesn't work, we'll have to complain with pitchforks and torches and clean out the rat's nest that is Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

summerskin wrote: »
    That was in oil and gas trading, engineering and exploration.

Not a very secure profession though.

Once the price of oil drops its bad news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

fat__tony wrote: »

The price of oil dropping?
    That's like saying the government will abolish VAT!
    No wonder everyone's in that company gets paid E100k, as long as oil is needed (and it's needed to make plastic, not only to drive cars, remember that) it's the most secure gig to be in for at least the next 50 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Bash the public sector or don't bash the public sector.. It doesn't matter.

Unfortunately the general perception of all PS workers is that of a spoilt group of people riding the gravy train who will quite happily hold the country to ransom if they don't get their way.. Unjustifiably high salaries for certain groups and limitless monies to throw away on useless or unrequired projects while others such as education and healthcare suffer..

I know PS workers who like their jobs, work hard and do a good job. I also know ones that are a complete waste of space.

The general gripe most people have with the PS is their lack of accountability. If someone screws up, very little is done about it. Benchmarking didnt help as it gave everyone a payrise irrespective of whether they deserved it or not. The ones that did deserve it got tarred with the same brush as those that didn't.

The PS unions pushing for payrises when large portions of the private sector were wondering if they would a job or not in the near future.

The biggest problem the PS have is the way they are perceived by the general public and tax payer who is being taxed more and more and all they hear about is the gov paying huge percentages of its income in PS wages.

Yes those on lower pay scales are being hammered by levies etc while the fat cats at the top are getting larger salaries for doing SFA..

The only way this can be solved is a complete over haul and a private sector mentality brought in. The fat needs to be trimmed, less middle management and a more efficient PS workforce put in place with the resources to do their job properly. Incentives for increased productivity from workers etc.

Of course its never going to happen because PS unions have had every government by the balls since day one.

Maybe an overhaul of the unions might be the first place to start and make them more accountable..
    Very well put - far more intelligent than "Let's just bash all the public sector".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I acknowledged there are extremely highly paid technical staff there, but some people like to say it's like this across the board - it isn't. The average is due to the minority. It's unfair to sneer at e.g. a phone agent and assume they're earning a fortune on the basis of the salary of a senior technician in a separate department.

And I'm not someone who thinks a low salary is something that's actually kinda good. If I were on e.g. 30 grand I'd be loaded.

I would agree that 30-50k is a great salary by today's standards. Our own daughter is in her final year of accountancy and is not earning much more than the minimum wage. Sign of the times really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Money would be made from trading volatility, ie changes in prices, rather than rising prices. The issue with permanenetly low (or high) prices is that behaviour becomes static and people don't look for better deals giving traders few opportunities to trade.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Keg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Jesus, if the admin/clerical and Facilities are badly paid, and less than 76K then the rest of the staff are making far more. On average.

People dismiss averages when it suits them ( not, say, when the average is male pay vs female pay). In this case we don't know that the senior managers are earning more than private sector jobs. If not then the average is bumped up across all sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

summerskin wrote: »
    That was in oil and gas trading, engineering and exploration.

Not at all, and the exploration/engineering side of it will e in massive demand for at least three decades.

Since I moved to Ireland I'm in a different sector anyway, but it's good to have oil and gas as my safety net just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

I'd say 800+ euro a week. Minimum wage is a complete joke in this country. I don't know how someone could survive on that sort of money tbh.

One of my good friends came off the dole last summer for a minimum wage job and lasted about seven weeks before he realised he was in a worse place financially every week. It's a mad system in this country tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

It depends entirely on what your job is and how much work you've had to do to get to where you are.

I earn "decent money" for the job I do. But if my husband earned the same it would be crap money for him. Luckily he earns a grand salary for what he does.

+1

It's one thing being on minimum wage if you work in a cafe or something, but I regularly see teaching jobs here in London advertised for £7-8 an hour. That is absolutely disgusting and it's really amusing to see the list of demands they have for potential applicants. Must have a good degree, must have a recognised teaching certificate from a 4-week TEFL course (which costs at least £1000), over two years of experience......all this for a job which pays under £8 an hour for CONTACT hours, meaning that once lesson plans and marking are factored in, you're working for absolute peanuts.

As for what a 'good' salary is...it depends on what you have to pay for. I would consider a good salary enough to get a mortgage, eat well, take the odd holiday and generally not struggle for money. In London, you'd be looking at earning well over £50K a year (or more if not half of a couple) to have any kind of decent lifestyle. I'm on £23K at the moment and I manage, I don't go without too much, but I definitely couldn't live on this salary forever. I have no idea how some of my colleagues can afford kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

On a serious note, my perfect salary would be between €75,000 - €100,000 a year.

Still yet to get there though. :pac:

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    +1

It's one thing being on minimum wage if you work in a cafe or something, but I regularly see teaching jobs here in London advertised for £7-8 an hour. That is absolutely disgusting and it's really amusing to see the list of demands they have for potential applicants. Must have a good degree, must have a recognised teaching certificate from a 4-week TEFL course (which costs at least £1000), over two years of experience......all this for a job which pays under £8 an hour for CONTACT hours, meaning that once lesson plans and marking are factored in, you're working for absolute peanuts.

I know a few people in England doing hard work in skilled jobs for well less than 20 grand a year, and they are absolutely gobsmacked when you tell them average public service pay is 48k here ( it was almost 50k ). They complain that public servants in England get an average 21.5k a year stg.
    Remember the teacher on RTE radio about 6 months ago (an Irish person now working as a teacher in England ) highlighting the huge difference between pay levels in UK and here.

ToxicPaddy wrote: »

....to whom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sweetpea101

With the various public sector bashing possibilities I thought I'd give a little insight into my wages as a primary teacher. I work very hard, I love my job, I don't mind paycuts as long as they're fair, I don't just work school hours. Every day I bring home work and I work at least an hour every day after my kids are gone to bed, and at least two hours on the weekend nights. There are some evenings that I work for three or four hours. I work for at least half an hour in the mornings before the kids come into the class.

After my costs of working (childcare and petrol) I take home €176 a week. If I were on the dole I would get more money, and have more time with my small children. I love my job, I do a very good job, I care about the children I teach, I hate this public vs private debate because it's not real, I formally worked in the private sector and I know how hard I worked for my salary back then!! Let the teacher bashing begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

gigino wrote: »
    I know a few people in England doing hard work in skilled jobs for well less than 20 grand a year, and they are absolutely gobsmacked when you tell them average public service pay is 48k here ( it was almost 50k ). They complain that public servants in England get an average 21.5k a year stg.
    Remember the teacher on RTE radio about 6 months ago (an Irish person now working as a teacher in England ) highlighting the huge difference between pay levels in UK and here.

Either you know one or 2 people from every walk of life and every job and industry out there or you just make it up as you go along.

woodoo wrote: »
    Either you know one or 2 people from every walk of life and every job and industry out there or you just make it up as you go along.

Who does not personally know a few people working in England? What I say is consistent with the salary statistics anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

As people whether they like it or not need state services, should we not look at increasing taxes so that both sectors are making more of a contribution, hence also equally effected by the tax increase. Or are people going to make that comment that those of us would work for the state don't really pay tax. It would still mean a reduction in wages for me, as my taxes are stopped out of my wages, and increase the money in the kitty to pay for these services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sweetpea101

Also if the taxes were increased that would only affect the people who have jobs (both public and private sector) thereby making it fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Starting salery for a teacher now adays is 21K

Advertisement