Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats considered a good salary?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Yahew wrote: »
    I think the reason people don't believe you is simple. There is no way there are thousands of companies which pay no one less than a wage of €75k + €20k benefits in the private sector in the Irish Republic, if there were the average private sector salary would be much higher than €30k ish it is.

Extraordinary claims need extraordinary proof. Claiming you work in a "normal" company which isn't " the government, public sector, banking" which has that average wage is a big old claim. Obviously people would call you up on it. You have provided no proof, or no "slap downs" either. We are no closer to knowing where you work, or even in what sector you work in ( except that it isn't government of banking), and there is no such sector in Ireland.

And thats just killing you that i wont tell you where I work isnt it.
    Do you seriously expect someone to post where they work on the internet?

I dont need to give you proof. It makes no difference to my life whether or not you know where I work or if you believe me or not. It makes no difference to your life either. But it seems to knaw at you.

All I wanted was to make the point that begrudgers will just begrudge, no matter how well off they are themselves.

And not only have I made the point, but you, and others, are proving it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

And thats just killing you that i wont tell you where I work isnt it.

Its not killing me, but I don't believe you.
    Do you seriously expect someone to post where they work on the internet?

We don't even know the kind of job you have.
    I dont need to give you proof. It makes no difference to my life whether or not you know where I work or if you believe me or not. It makes no difference to your life either. But it seems to knaw at you.

Why would it. I actually do earn more than 75K a year. Sterling. The reason why your pay come into it is you mention a fictional company where everybody earns more than 75K and everybody has benefits worth 20K, and that this was "common" with thousands o private sector companies in Ireland.
    All I wanted was to make the point that begrudgers will just begrudge, no matter how well off they are themselves.

And not only have I made the point, but you, and others, are proving it for me.

You haven't made any point at all. I don't begrudge you your salary because I don't think you earn your salary. I don't think there are private sector companies in Ireland were everybody earns what you say, outside banking.

(possibly law, but people rarely call legal partnerships companies).

Maybe its the ESB? Semi-State employees would defend the Public Sector :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Its not killing me, but I don't believe you.

We don't even know the kind of job you have.

Why would it. I actually do earn more than 75K a year. Sterling. The reason why your pay come into it is you mention a fictional company where everybody earns more than 75K and everybody has benefits worth 20K, and that this was "common" with thousands o private sector companies in Ireland.

You haven't made any point at all. I don't begrudge you your salary because I don't think you earn your salary. I don't think there are private sector companies in Ireland were everybody earns what you say, outside banking.

(possibly law, but people rarely call legal partnerships companies).

Yes, we can all see that its not killing you. :D
    You're like a child now.

Im still not telling you where I work on the internet. If it bothers you that much send me a PM and i'll reply with what sector, but, please, give it a rest.

And, its none of the above. Its an ordinary job, well paid. Not a cent from any tax payer or govt agency goes into my company.

You're like a child now.

Im still not telling you where I work on the internet. If it bothers you that much send me a PM and i'll reply with what sector, but, please, give it a rest.

And, its none of the above. Its an ordinary job, well paid. Not a cent from any tax payer or govt agency goes into my company.

This thread is about whats considered a good salary. If there are "thousands" of "ordinary" private sector jobs which pay everybody what you claim then it should be posted on this thread, so we can redefine "good". Telling the sector will hardly identify you, and there is no chance of getting a PM from me.

In other words, when posting on the internet, have sources.

Heres a CSO link on average wages in Ireland - about 690 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

You're like a child now.

This thread is about whats considered a good salary. If there are "thousands" of "ordinary" private sector jobs which pay everybody what you claim then it should be posted on this thread, so we can redefine "good". Telling the sector will hardly identify you, and there is no chance of getting a PM from me.

In other words, when posting on the internet, have sources.

If 690 is the average then many earn less than that and many earn much more.

At my last company nobody was on less than 50k sterling basic plus bonus and benefits, in the private sector in the UK. 47 of us worked there, the top earners were on about 250k basic. It's not that uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

After this thread I feel even more poor...

I got my hours cut so I earn even less then mentioned 350eu per week now.

Even at boom I was taking home 500-600 max.

I can't believe some of the salaries here mentioned to be "good" or "not bad". No wonder Ireland is in such ****. So many people overpayed as hell, and to make it worse they did not had a clue how to manage money...

**** this...

summerskin wrote: »

At my last company nobody was on less than 50k sterling basic plus bonus and benefits, in the private sector in the UK. 47 of us worked there, the top earners were on about 250k basic. It's not that uncommon.

Whats the sector?

summerskin wrote: »

Whats the sector?

That was in oil and gas trading, engineering and exploration.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I can't believe some of the salaries here mentioned to be "good" or "not bad". No wonder Ireland is in such ****. So many people overpayed as hell, and to make it worse they did not had a clue how to manage money...

**** this...

Finally, someone who is actually real.
    I'm definitely not in the E50k+ bracket, first I believe that the average figures are distorted by inflated salaries to a lucky few who will be paid E200k + bonuses, perks, mercs and expenses.
    Average Joe does not earn E50k in ireland, he doesn't even earn E40k (still what I consider generous).
    Many of us are struggling below that only for the state to constantly torpedo us and trying to sink us.
    No more scones for me, I'm orf to play the grand piano, excuse me while I email my secretary.

• Advertisement

**** this...

Finally, someone who is actually real.
    I'm definitely not in the E50k+ bracket, first I believe that the average figures are distorted by inflated salaries to a lucky few who will be paid E200k + bonuses, perks, mercs and expenses.
    Average Joe does not earn E50k in ireland, he doesn't even earn E40k (still what I consider generous).
    Many of us are struggling below that only for the state to constantly torpedo us and trying to sink us.
    No more scones for me, I'm orf to play the grand piano, excuse me while I email my secretary.

40k is far from generous for many jobs. Pay tends to, although not always, reflect your value to your employer. Some people, believe it or not, are worth their salaries, regardless of how high they may seem to you. Of course, some others aren't, just like some people who earn 25k aren't actually worth that even.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

It matters not one damm what one earns while one has the ability, health, sanity, and intellect to get up every day and earn it.
    We either tailor our lifestyle and expenses to fit the salary or attempt to increase the salary to fund the lifestyle we want.

Magda lives very well in Donegal on the dole, while a Gerry Ryan was under pressure when his annual salary got reduced slightly to 450k ? or something.

We all make choices on what to do in life in our teenage years or early twenties, some careers are not open to everybody due to circumstances, academic ability etc, but VERY few people make these choices on future earning potential. This is as it should be.

I have earned a very large 'wage' at times in my life, now I'm under pressure, while still earning what many would consider good money.
    I look forward to a time in the not too distant future when I will have removed much of my current debt etc, and can base my decisions on what work to do on something else apart from numbers.
    Im gonna be as happy as a pig in sh1t earning tiny wages and living within them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

woodoo wrote: »
    The private sector also go by the acronym HTT or Holier Than Thou if you prefer the long version.

A opposed to the Purse Suckers of the Public Sector.:)

I don't get that "Oh we're really poor us civil servants"
    I know at least three German social workers who came over here, because they would earn more than double of what they can earn in Germany.
    And Germany might look a tad cheaper if you're just in the supermarket on holidays, but the amount of taxes and charges over there is staggering.
    And one of my German friends went back again, he could not hack the attitude and work practices, saying it was too 19th century. Plush Irish politics did his head in.
    He earns half now and is happier.

Agreed. The amount of taxes they pay is unnatural. In some parts of Germany if the road is cobblelocked outside your home you can be billed for it.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

gigino wrote: »
    50k is pretty good all right. Its about 17k more than the average private sector salary, and 2k more than the average public sector salary, which is 48k. www.cso.ie
    Stinicker wrote: »
    It is disgraceful that the public salary is so high, the public sector should be at least 10 to 20% behind the private sector for job security alone.

Ah lads. Statistics. When is everyone going to learn that the AVERAGE isn't always the most relevant stat? Often the Mode or the Median tells you a LOT more.

Mode:
    mode is the value that occurs the most frequently in a data set or a probability distribution
    so it isn't going to be skewed by outliers, like the Average/Mean will be. This is much be useful and closer to the truth when you look at 'average wages'.

Median:
    the middle value of the given numbers or distribution in their ascending order.

I know yous don't care. But you need to know! Before you go around making erroneous assumptions. Not that yous care about that either, so long as yous get a chance to expostulate and get outraged about something, and see it as simple and easily understood. Go for it! It makes you feel better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Once I can afford to eat mostly complex carbohydrates rather than relying purely on simple carbohydrates then I'm happy out. Also, a new rolex every week is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

now thats useful information. Its in the 30 to 35k year bracket. If thats the average, we can conclude that anything above the average is "good".

I wonder what a "good" pension is. The average public service pension is in the early thirties too, and a gratuity of 18 months finishing salary tax free is paid ( the guts of a hundred grand tax free ). Would that be a good pension? I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

And its the Irish condition to want to pull anyone you perceive to be doing better than you down, instead of working towards your own goals.

So true, reminds me of a quote I heard from someone, can't remember who
    'the difference between Ireland and America is that in America people see a wealthy man with a nice house and nice car and say "I want to be that guy" whereas in Ireland they say "I want to kill that guy" '
    How come so many people expect guards nurses and teachers to work for minimum wage yet the same people often won't come off the dole for a minimum wage job?

now thats useful information. Its in the 30 to 35k year bracket. If thats the average, we can conclude that anything above the average is "good".

I wonder what a "good" pension is. The average public service pension is in the early thirties too, and a gratuity of 18 months finishing salary tax free is paid ( the guts of a hundred grand tax free ). Would that be a good pension? I think so.

It's actually a joke - given the state of the nation's "finances".

marketty wrote: »
    So true, reminds me of a quote I heard from someone, can't remember who
    'the difference between Ireland and America is that in America people see a wealthy man with a nice house and nice car and say "I want to be that guy" whereas in Ireland they say "I want to kill that guy" '
    How come so many people expect guards nurses and teachers to work for minimum wage yet the same people often won't come off the dole for a minimum wage job?

No-one's expecting them to work for minimum wage. And FWIW - it's not those on the dole complaining. It's people like myself, whose taxes are going to fund the ridiculous inequity of the conditions and pay in the Public Sector - while the country continues to borrow €400m a week to fund it. Amazingly, were it not for the economic crisis, a lot of the information about PS pay & conditions would never have surfaced.

But I have no doubt that the IMF will force this issue to be tackled head-on. And the sooner the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Ah lads. Statistics. When is everyone going to learn that the AVERAGE isn't always the most relevant stat? Often the Mode or the Median tells you a LOT more.

Mode: so it isn't going to be skewed by outliers, like the Average/Mean will be. This is much be useful and closer to the truth when you look at 'average wages'.

Median:

I know yous don't care. But you need to know! Before you go around making erroneous assumptions. Not that yous care about that either, so long as yous get a chance to expostulate and get outraged about something, and see it as simple and easily understood. Go for it! It makes you feel better!

Not trying to be picky but you need to tighten up your language. Bth the mode and The median are averages. When you refer to average, I assume you are referring to an arithmetic mean which is one of the cruder forms f average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I doubt there is a company in the country like that. What sane company would pay its lowest paid employee - say for the sake of argument the 19 year old secretary - the guts of 100,000 a year ( 75k plus bonus + vhi + pension contribution etc )?

As long as they are not squandering taxpayers money they can do what they want, but I doubt any company would pay its lowest paid employee that.

Average public sector wages in the UK are 21.5k a year stg....and plenty of people over there complain about that.

It's certainly exactly like no company I ever worked for!
    39 hours in our place and half the workforce (who where there for years) fired to be replaced with cheaper workers who barely get better than E10/hour.
    Break times are not paid for anymore, but MUST be taken, so I'm working from 8 to 5.
    Holidays, 20 days (i.e absolute minimum), the daily threats to our jobs on the noticeboard have ceased since the Union threatened the boss, but otherwise it's work like a dog and get abuse.
    :eek:

What sector is it? That kinda stuff would cause a person to resign for their health!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

prison officer,1749euro after tax,per week.

Where are you getting your figures from???????

It's not even anywhere near that for a fortnight!!

LoanShark wrote: »
    prison officer,1749euro after tax,per week.

Where are you getting your figures from???????

It's not even anywhere near that for a fortnight!!
    Heh, had a feeling it would be wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Marcusm wrote: »
    Not trying to be picky but you need to tighten up your language. Bth the mode and The median are averages. When you refer to average, I assume you are referring to an arithmetic mean which is one of the cruder forms f average.

Yeah, I know that, but the Average that everyone refers to here is what you and I call the Mean. As in the Average Wage. :rolleyes:

Oh yes, the "I heard the average wage in the ESB is 70k" so they're all on 70k. Seems so difficult for a few to grasp that the average is a result of a small few getting very high salaries. But some folks just believe what they want to believe.
    People who KNOW about the public sector and all the variables therein, working there or not, defend the public sector.

Would some people without kids need 50k to feel they're earning a good wage though?!

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh yes, the "I heard the average wage in the ESB is 70k" so they're all on 70k. Seems so difficult for a few to grasp that the average is a result of a small few getting very high salaries. But some folks just believe what they want to believe.

People who KNOW about the public sector and all the variables therein, working there or not, defend the public sector.

Ever stop to think that majority ARE on it? Electricians gross, with benefits, some €96k per year. Just a thought.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭munster87

I get paid f##k all, but I don't really care. I get by. Complaining about others won't increase my wage. Some lads on here should really focus on their own lives and not be so bothered by other peoples jobs

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Ever stop to think that majority ARE on it? Electricians gross, with benefits, some €96k per year. Just a thought.:)
    How do you know it's the majority? ":)"
    Do you have access to their payroll?

I'm not saying there aren't people paid extremely high salaries there, although I wouldn't say what the salaries are unless I actually knew. I certainly wouldn't just pretend the highest paid electrician is representative of all of them. We all know an entry level sparky is not being paid 96k.

That's just the networks side - what about admin/clerical? Facilities? Bar senior management, these people get paid miles and miles off 70-96k. But some folks pretend that's not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

Katgurl wrote: »
    In today's climate I think 50k+ is pretty good
    What climate? I dont think temperatures have a big effect on what is a good salary. Unless you are an ice cream man.

Advertisement