Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

**Oldbridge estate, Co. Louth!**

I'm going to put myself forward as a volunteer for the new one in Oldbridge. Although knowing the course they are considering, it is not going to be one for the faint-hearted, a tough cross country style route, mostly on grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

FYP. Hi
    pconn062 wrote: »
    **Oldbridge estate, Co. Louth! Hi!**

I'm pretty sure Oldbridge is in Meath though. It certainly was when I was growing up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

PaulieC wrote: »
    FYP. Hi

I'm pretty sure Oldbridge is in Meath though. It certainly was when I was growing up

We've reclaimed it! :pac: It's a funny one, the address is Drogheda, Co. Meath, which doesn't add up. Anyway, not important!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Louth, Meath, tomato, tomahto ...
    :p

pconn062 wrote: »
    We've reclaimed it! :pac: It's a funny one, the address is Drogheda, Co. Meath, which doesn't add up. Anyway, not important!

Let them have it, we have Townley Hall...

On the plus side, a local Parkrun gives al the DDAC ladies an opportunity to further fine tune their 5-in-a-row-at-the-front-walking-race-start techniques

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

parts of drgoheda are in meath !! and oldbridge is very definitely in meath..
    be handy for me weekends when im back visiting home.. between this and ballina coming online soon il have no excuse
    i can see it being a busy one, drogheda and duleek acs, and a large population in the general area..
    brother reckons itl be a disaster for parking..

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

:-) - Am so not getting into a territorial dispute between louth and Meath ( those can end in bloodshed :-) ) but great to see a parkrun in that part of the country - Palmerstown is an interesting one Waterstown park is a really under used little gem of a park ( just have a look at the strava labs ) perfectly laid out for running ,tarmac with an option for grass , fairly flat but with a gentle rise thrown in , lovely run right on the banks of the Liffey and a coffee shop in the Stewarts lesuire centre for that all important post run coffee, very quite and scenic and 2 minutes from the M50 . I think that it will be a great success and I know the event director from doing Griffeen parkrun and I know she will make it a success. Tymon will help take some of the pressure off Marlay which is regularly getting circa 650 parkrunners on a sat.As for Oldbridge well it looks absolutly fabulous , some real quality parkruns comming on stream .
    In his update Matt did also mention that he is working with teams from Cork Kerry and Limerick ...so watch this space :-)
    http://www.parkrun.ie/news/
    ed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I never heard of Parkrun until I saw this thread. I'm looking at the map on the site and they're all too far away from me (Cavan/Meath botder) to be any good for now. I didn't read all this thread but I see mention of new ones so hopefully one suits me. I'd go to Drogheda for a look but it'd be too far to go every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »
    Louth, Meath, tomato, tomahto ...
    :p

Sure there all just satellite towns for Dublin at the end of the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I never heard of Parkrun until I saw this thread. I'm looking at the map on the site and they're all too far away from me (Cavan/Meath botder) to be any good for now. I didn't read all this thread but I see mention of new ones so hopefully one suits me. I'd go to Drogheda for a look but it'd be too far to go every week.
    Set one up!

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    Sure there all just satellite towns for Dublin at the end of the day :D

says him from the original satellite town ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

PaulieC wrote: »
    says him from the original satellite town ;)

The difference between trend setters and just sheep following the cool kids :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any idea where in Cork/Kerry these new runs are scheduled for? Reckon Killarney would be perfect for a parkrun anyone and presumably Cork City will get a parkrun setup as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

In Cork there is talks of setting up a Park run in the Tramore Valley Park (the old dump) on the Kinsale road when it opens next year. Saying that, I'm not sure who or if someone is actively pursuing this or even if the City council have agreed to it. But there was a rumour of this some time back...

I think Blarney Castle would be another good spot in Cork to hold one. It recently held the Operation Transformation 5k race, so definitely suitable for a race.

The marina (although not technically a Park) may also be a decent spot for one...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

As Always if you want to help or register interest in an area that currently does not have a parkrun or indeed if you wish to start a parkrun in your locale the person to talk to is Matt Shields parkrun coordinator for Ireland ( matt@parkrun.com )mail him hes a great guy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Cona wrote: »
    The marina (although not technically a Park) may also be a decent spot for one...
    Doesn't have to be a park. There's a racecourse, a beach, and a greenway path as it is. Once it's off the road, and not affected by traffic, that's all that's needed.

Cona wrote: »
    In Cork there is talks of setting up a Park run in the Tramore Valley Park (the old dump) on the Kinsale road when it opens next year. Saying that, I'm not sure who or if someone is actively pursuing this or even if the City council have agreed to it. But there was a rumour of this some time back...

I think Blarney Castle would be another good spot in Cork to hold one. It recently held the Operation Transformation 5k race, so definitely suitable for a race.

Think Tramore Valley is probably the one put forward alright. I'd imagine the Blarney Castle one may be too busy at the height of the tourist season although it would be another good spot too.

The regional park in Ballincollig would be another. TBF Cork could probably do with a few parkruns given its size

Killarney and the demense there would be ideal i reckon for a parkrun

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I think there is probably an argument to be made for bringing the Kerry version to Tralee. Killarney has 3, if not 4, different 5k series on in any given year with about 16 races, with no Tralee equivalent as far as I am aware. There has been an explosion in the number of people running in Tralee the last couple of years so they should tap into this. Or do both!!

The only problem with Tralee is that I can't think of an appropriate venue...

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I think there is probably an argument to be made for bringing the Kerry version to Tralee. Killarney has 3, if not 4, different 5k series on in any given year with about 16 races, with no Tralee equivalent as far as I am aware. There has been an explosion in the number of people running in Tralee the last couple of years so they should tap into this. Or do both!!

The only problem with Tralee is that I can't think of an appropriate venue...

Venue is all important but ideally there would be a Tralee and Killarney Parkrun in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I'd imagine Lee Fields in Cork would be a potential option, no?

Would this do in Tralee town centre?
    That's 2k, though you could shorten it & make it 3 laps to fill the 5k - granted, I have no idea how busy that park is on a Saturday morning, though you do have parking available beside it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Doesn't have to be a park. There's a racecourse, a beach, and a greenway path as it is. Once it's off the road, and not affected by traffic, that's all that's needed.

The marina in Cork is actually a road (albeit a very quiet one) it would probably still need traffic restrictions which would rule that out...

do you mean the straight road? or the actually pathway in the fields. The road would be far to busy and dangerous and the pathway in the fields would be too narrow. Its also not long enough so you would most likely need to loop around and would run into issues.
    The regional park in Ballincollig would be another.
    Forgot about the regional Park, would be a perfect spot actually

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Would this do in Tralee town centre?
    That's 2k, though you could shorten it & make it 3 laps to fill the 5k - granted, I have no idea how busy that park is on a Saturday morning, though you do have parking available beside it.

I didn't realise that was a 2k lap, never ran in there, heard someone say one day that it was less than a mile all the way around. Guess not! That could work, the park isn't that busy at all on a Saturday and yes, ample parking within a couple of hundred metres from the gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    Great to see one in Tymon park :D

Tymon route revealed
    http://www.parkrun.ie/tymon/course/

Looks like it will be fairly flat, though we get to take the big hill in near the telephone mast once. Can't be sure but looks like we will take it right at the start which should thin the field out pretty quickly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I'll have to give it a crack when it starts. Have done a few in Marley and it does be packed.

The address of Tymon Park, Ballyboden, Dublin 24 just doesn't look right to me.

Ballyboden is in Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Synode wrote: »
    I'll have to give it a crack when it starts. Have done a few in Marley and it does be packed.

Don't know where Parkrun are getting the address from though: Tymon Park, Ballyboden, Dublin 24.

It's nowhere near Ballyboden

And if it was, Ballyboden is not Dublin 24 :)
    Sack those volunteers!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tymon route revealed
    http://www.parkrun.ie/tymon/course/

Looks like it will be fairly flat, though we get to take the big hill in near the telephone mast once. Can't be sure but looks like we will take it right at the start which should thin the field out pretty quickly!!

Is that start down the back of the 2 GAA clubs up from the spawell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

adrian522 wrote: »

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »

Yep, beside the playground

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Another Dublin parkrun - great stuff. Well done to all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

And yet another for Dublin, starting on June 28 in Palmerstown...

http://www.parkrun.ie/waterstown/

Advertisement