Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

I definitely remember reading a harshly written comment on the corkrunning blog site regarding this about 1 or 2 years ago saying how he felt that Park run would take runners from the events that they organise which he felt we paramount to the success and future of the club etc etc...will try to dig up that thread if I can find it...

I think this might be the post referred to.

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2013/01/time-for-parkruns-in-cork.html

The negative opinions are in the comments, but I think the post itself, along with other posts on corkrunning blog, are more sceptical of whether the concept can work in Macroom rather than critical of parkrun itself.
    I personally would be glad to see the end or demise of runs that are organised purely to raise funds for profit or other means
    I don't agree with this although I'm a member of a club and try to support club races as much as I can. To my mind it's a market thing. If a private company wants to set up a race that's attractive enough to get a large number of entries and ends up making a profit, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with that, as long as there's no implication that any of the money is going anywhere else (e.g. a charity).
    In my opinion, I expect all of the established well organised runs that are put on by running clubs will continue.
    Definitely true. Clubs may worry that all sorts of things (large commercial races, parkrun etc.) will take away from their own races, but there are so many people taking up running these days - beginners who may feel intimidated by entering a "real" race until they've done a few parkruns, people who enjoy the buzz of a big commercial race, or people who like the more serious atmosphere (and often better post-race food!) at a club race - that there's room for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Parkruns are a great success. My own club Bros Pearse AC are huge supporters of MARLAY and we have found it to be a very positive experience for our newer runners who use it to gauge improvement. It has a motivating effect on them especially when they post pbs every so often. It has been a way of building their confidence to run other races. For our stronger runners , they use it as a speed session and also as a guide to how they are going in training themselves. The club have also managed to get large numbers out volunteering at the MARLAY event .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Just seeing this conversation now. HelenAnne has it right there on St. Anne's - I'm not a member of Raheny, and the parkrun there has no official connection with the Raheny Shamrocks. I must give credit where it is due in that members of the club (and of course other parkrun organisers) were key in helping get the parkrun on its feet and we usually see at least one volunteer who is a club-member (though they do this of their own accord, rather than be encouraged by the club to do so).

The parkrun concept has been embraced by the club, and I believe that ultimately they will see an increase in race entries (eg Raheny 5 Miler) and club memberships, the latter probably being a little further down the line. Some people who might have feared joining clubs as they perceive themselves as not good enough might find themselves finishing ahead of club runners in the parkruns and perhaps change their mind.

Rather than taking away from club races, I think parkrun often serves as a tune-up or speedwork a week or two out for some of the faster and/or more experienced guys and girls who continue to target the club races. I saw people using them as a good blowout a couple of weeks before the Dublin Marathon, or even incorporating them into their long run.

It is my opinion too, similar to what others have said, that parkrun is getting more people into running. This is one of the main reasons I am passionate about it and wanted to set it up in St. Anne's - I want more people to get the same thrill out of running that I do. Look at parkrunner of the month this month - she has really come on in leaps in bounds since the first St. Anne's parkrun - this is what it is all about.

At St. Anne's, we had no impact on numbers as a result of the Clontarf Half and 5 Mile there a few weeks ago, which itself attracted large numbers and is only a mile or two down the road. Different distances. We had our lowest attendance last week - due to two factors I would think :

1) Jingle Bells - which is the same distance. I consider Jingle Bells to be a great race and one of those annual events that always attracts a good crowd; and

2) Christmas parties the night before!

Jingle Bells had a big crowd from what I hear - which goes to show that if you have a great event, people will come even if there are free alternatives.

Lastly, it's important to note that parkrun is 5k only, it should not in theory impact on races of other distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

I think the numbers speak for themselves
    http://www.parkrun.ie/results/largestclubs/

Parkrun is good for clubs and a positive force in community health, I did read the comments on the Cork running blog and having experienced parkrun thought them to be ill informed and narrow-minded.I would be one of those that through their experience of parkrun would consider joining a club , I will certainly enter more races this comming year ( Ive already supported my Local 5k for Lucan Harriers ) because of the confidence that parkrun has given me , Ill never win races but parkrun has awoken in me a love of running , and my only regret is that I left it till I was 48 to find such pleasure in something so simple .
    What I see in our own little parkrun in griffeen inspires me week after week , parkrun encompasses the whole spectrum of running from a man of retirement age holding the attendance record to an ultra runner , from juniors running week in week out to plodders like myself who each week get an opportunity to push themselves in doing something that would have been unimaginable just 18 months ago
    If you don't believe me look at the numbers ...this is the Male points table for griffeen
    http://www.parkrun.ie/griffeen/results/malepointstable/
    and the achievements that these numbers represent are reflected across every parkrun event in Ireland and across every parkrun in the world
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

npresto wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I think St Anne's was set up by and used by a lot of Raheny Shamrock runners and Marlay Park similarly by Dundrum South Dublin A.C.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Marlay parkrun was not set up by Dundrum South Dublin AC however members of the DSD Meet and Train group quickly came on board and were key to getting the event off the ground and continue to play a core role in its operation.

With regard to the impact of parkrun on other club races, we paid particularly close attention to the numbers attending the local Terenure 5km race earlier this year. We were happy to note that they recorded a record attendance despite a free alternative over the same distance the day before. I have attended a number of big races this year and have spotted lots parkrunners at these events, most I am sure would have been there with or without parkrun, but over time I am sure more and more people will be attending local races as a natural progression from attending parkruns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Parkrun has introduced many people to the concept of timed running & specific measured distance running. A significant percentage of these would never have considered any form of organised running and now count it as their past time or sport.

This isn't competition for the local athletics clubs, it's prime recruitment potential. It's up to the local athletics groups how they use this untapped pool of newcomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

Griffeen parkrun has no immediate association with any local club, and was not set up by any club. I took the initiative to set it up as that is what the community wanted. Many of their members join us on a Saturday morning, just as do members of clubs within the general catchment, and we have struck up very positive relationships with them. I echo the comments already posted in relation to St Annes, Marlay, and Griffeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Need to echo the sentiments of the two posters above. the Macroom parkrun has all types partaking from the club athletes to the C25K participants. Rather than being a hindrance to clubs i think its been benefical to west muskerry which would be the local club as its providing a competitive environment of sorts every week but also opens up new members to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Ardgillan Parkrun will start in February at Ardgillan Castle Balbriggan

any date confirmed for ardgillan yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

any date confirmed for ardgillan yet?
    8th February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

cheers krusty...9.30 start...should keep me outta the pub on a friday night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

Hey 2 questions:

1) I see some people with their barcodes on a key ring...anybody know where they got em?

2) Also..have done the Marlay run a few times now and find the first km consistently short? Today I took the outside on the bends in the first km but it still came up about 0.96km. My running partner also reported the same thing...no big deal.just curious!It's annoying to see 4.96km on the watch at the end! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

crisco10 wrote: »
    Hey 2 questions:

1) I see some people with their barcodes on a key ring...anybody know where they got em?

2) Also..have done the Marlay run a few times now and find the first km consistently short? Today I took the outside on the bends in the first km but it still came up about 0.96km. My running partner also reported the same thing...no big deal.just curious!It's annoying to see 4.96km on the watch at the end! lol

I haven't ran in Marlay, but would there be interference from trees in first km? Malahide and Raheny read well under 5km, but the course is measured accurately I believe. GPS under-reads during periods under tree/leave coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Hey 2 questions:

I got mine here, works a treat.

http://www.littlehugs.co.uk/

I haven't ran in Marlay, but would there be interference from trees in first km? Malahide and Raheny read well under 5km, but the course is measured accurately I believe. GPS under-reads during periods under tree/leave coverage.

Thought that too but first km is in open...and I'm pretty sure thats where the shortness occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Also..have done the Marlay run a few times now and find the first km consistently short? Today I took the outside on the bends in the first km but it still came up about 0.96km. My running partner also reported the same thing...no big deal.just curious!It's annoying to see 4.96km on the watch at the end! lol
    Your watch is far more inaccurate than the measuring wheel used to measure the Parkrun courses.

Your watch is far more inaccurate than the measuring wheel used to measure the Parkrun courses.

I am 100% sure of that. But its just funny that my watch keeps being inaccurate to the same amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Hey 2 questions:

My GPS always records the Marley Pak ParkRun course slightly less than 5k and the difference is always in the first 2km. As there are lots of trees, I am not too surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Amigaman wrote: »

Are they posting to Ireland now? When I tried them last year they said that they wouldn't send them them to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Duzzie wrote: »
    Are they posting to Ireland now? When I tried them last year they said that they wouldn't send them them to Ireland.

Two people from club ordered from there. Left UK as country but put Ireland in the address fields, it worked for them

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

I wonder in MARLAY if that first lap is measured on the path rather than across that gravel bit near the lake where everyone runs. Would be worth asking the guys in charge! .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

PVincent wrote: »
    I wonder in MARLAY if that first lap is measured on the path rather than across that gravel bit near the lake where everyone runs. Would be worth asking the guys in charge! .

The first lap of the concert field was measured across the gravel at the far end of the concert field. Marlay park run was measured numerous times with a variety of measuring wheels using our best estimation of the racing line. As there was a discrepancy between the measurements we were getting with out primary measuring wheel and our Garmin watches we had the measuring wheel calibrated and found it to be accurate.

Amigaman wrote: »

THanks, ordered with ParcelMotel UK address..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Duzzie wrote: »

I can confirm it works if you just put Ireland in the address. Mine arrived this morning, at no extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Anyone run clon this morning? How was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

blockic wrote: »
    Anyone run clon this morning? How was it?

John Desmond has a small report here

http://corkrunning.blogspot.ie/2014/02/first-clonakilty-park-run-gets-off-to.html

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

I ran Clon this morning. It was my first time running a Parkrun and it was really enjoyable and friendly with about 80 runners there. The track is a credit to the organizers, there is about 80 meters that need to be finished but that is meant to be finished for next Saturday, the rest of it is nice. The weather was atrocious, I was sorely tempted to stay in bed, but the heaviest of the rain held off so it was just the gales to contend with :)
    The results were emailed within 2 to 3 hours which was great, the Parkrun web format is definitely a good thing.
    Overall I couldn't fault the run and have to say thanks to all involved, I will definitely be back again.

Just reading the latest newsletter on the parkrun site and confirmation that there will be 2 new parkruns in Dublin in Palmerstown and Tallaght and a new parkrun in Oldbridge Estate Co. Meath
    "We have at present new events being processed to start in June. These are Tymon 14th June, Oldbridge 21st June and Waterstown 28th June. Its early days on all three so watch us on the parkrun Ireland website and facebook for more details"
    The parkruns sites for the respective runs arent live just yet but you can always register here regardless of desired run location

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Great to see one in Tymon park :D

Advertisement