Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

wrstan wrote: »
    Popped my Parkrun cherry this morning in Malahide. :D

Beautiful course, amazing turnout, and the volunteering and stewarding is really impressive. Thanks!

Definitely won't be my last.

Maybe we were talking? I walked back to the car park carrying the finishing poles with a parkrun virgin - was that you? If so, hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Yep that was me. Hello back! :)
    Really nice to meet you and thanks again for helping out yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Parkrun have just posted this link in their facebook page. You can get your barcode on a proper tag, same as the finishing token. Could be handy as I always wind that the printed ones get soggy during the run, would be especially useful in the rain. A 3 pack for £3.96 won't break the bank either.

http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I see that a parkrun even is starting in Westport in September http://www.parkrun.ie/westport/ :D:D thanks for the organisers of this event, good to see one west of the Shannon.

No better town for a race, well definitely travel down from Dublin for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Duzzie wrote: »
    Parkrun have just posted this link in their facebook page. You can get your barcode on a proper tag, same as the finishing token. Could be handy as I always wind that the printed ones get soggy during the run, would be especially useful in the rain. A 3 pack for £3.96 won't break the bank either.

http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/

I 'laminate' mine with Sellotape. Stays in decent condition for ages.

• Advertisement

I 'laminate' mine with Sellotape. Stays in decent condition for ages.
    It would just be handy to have a sturdy tag on your car key that is less likely to be lost or forgotten. It may all be by the by though as I was trying to order but at the checkout, the website doesn't appear to accept delivery to any country other than the UK. I have emailed them to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

**Just a thought** - has anybody ever asked the Mods on boards ( fantastic and impressive individuals one ans all ) whether there might be an appetite for a Parkrun Ireland sub-forum, or at the very least a P.I. sticky? Was just talking to a few people in griffeen on Sat. and they all thought it would be a good idea .With 5 runs currently soon to be 7 nationwide it would be a huge benefit to have a dedicated board to share and swap info
    Anybody think it would be a good idea?Anybody know how to go about it?thoughts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would just be handy to have a sturdy tag on your car key that is less likely to be lost or forgotten. It may all be by the by though as I was trying to order but at the checkout, the website doesn't appear to accept delivery to any country other than the UK. I have emailed them to check.

Did you try the trick of putting in the postcode for BBC Belfast or or other fake one, but with the rest of the address correct in order to get around the country checks. Card payment should still work with a non-UK card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Amigaman wrote: »
    **Just a thought** - has anybody ever asked the Mods on boards ( fantastic and impressive individuals one ans all ) whether there might be an appetite for a Parkrun Ireland sub-forum, or at the very least a P.I. sticky? Was just talking to a few people in griffeen on Sat. and they all thought it would be a good idea .With 5 runs currently soon to be 7 nationwide it would be a huge benefit to have a dedicated board to share and swap info
    Anybody think it would be a good idea?Anybody know how to go about it?thoughts?

parkrun posts are more than welcome in here. There are a couple of threads already in the Events forum for some of the individual events. I only did a quick search, but if someone lets me know the other threads I can add the links to the 1st post in this thread or something to act as a kind of index for you:

Griffeen parkrun
    St Annes parkrun

robinph wrote: »
    Did you try the trick of putting in the postcode for BBC Belfast or or other fake one, but with the rest of the address correct in order to get around the country checks. Card payment should still work with a non-UK card.

The checkout has a pulldown menu for the delivery country but all are greyed out except the UK. I will wait to see if they get back to me but may try your work around, otherwise I can just have them sent to a UK address and have them sent on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The checkout has a pulldown menu for the delivery country but all are greyed out except the UK. I will wait to see if they get back to me but may try your work around, otherwise I can just have them sent to a UK address and have them sent on.

You could try Parcel Motel if they won't deliver outside the UK, it would cost you €3.50

They give you a UK address to use (their Belfast depot) and they forward it on to one of their 'lockers' near you. You are given a PIN number so you can collect it when it is delivered

http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

Skid X wrote: »
    You could try Parcel Motel if they won't deliver outside the UK, it would cost you €3.50

They give you a UK address to use (their Belfast depot) and they forward it on to one of their 'lockers' near you. You are given a PIN number so you can collect it when it is delivered

http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

I use parcel motel regularly, seems a bit excessive to use it for letter. I have an address in the UK so could use that instead and have it sent on. I have heard from someone who had them delivered to Australia, so i'd guess it's just a glitch in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

let us know what they say to you as regards this tag man, it would be pretty handy to have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

I got one from the site below. There was no problem sending to Ireland.

http://www.littlehugs.co.uk/

plodder wrote: »
    I got one from the site below. There was no problem sending to Ireland.

http://www.littlehugs.co.uk/

And it works with the Parkrun scanners?? I'd assumed that they would have to be done by a specific company linked to parkrun to get the barcode right so that the parkrun scanners can read the code

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

And it works with the Parkrun scanners?? I'd assumed that they would have to be done by a specific company linked to parkrun to get the barcode right so that the parkrun scanners can read the code
    Yes, it works fine. Have used it a few times.

Thanks for the info, i'll get a couple to give them a try.

Report on parkrun and how it changes participation in sport:
    http://jpubhealth.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/08/15/pubmed.fdt082.full?keytype=ref&ijkey=SNORR9uZcgUPWXg

Also includes reference to the Dublin Womens* Mini Marathon** as well as it is one of the few other events to have done any research into participation by the sounds of it.

* Not all runners are women.
    ** Not a marathon.

i can see from the parkrun that i attend that its been great for the community and has gotten people active that previously would not have had the desire nor confidence to participate in such an event.

the more places that set up a parkrun the better

I ordered a couple of these but the pattern of the barcode looks slightly diferent. Tried it at a run today and it scanned ok, will have to wait for the results to be posted to make sure it works ok and attributes my time go me.

Edit: My result is up on the results page for today's run so I guess the tag works fine despite looking like a slightly different pattern on the bar code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Doing my first Parkin in Marley on Saturday. Is there a baggage storage area as I will be getting the bus out, also how does the barcode timing work? So I need to run with that paper barcode? Any other advice?

You can leave your barcode in your bag until after you finish.

When you do finish they will give you another barcode, you then go and fetch your personal one and take the two of them along to the queue for the person doing the scanning. They will scan the two of them and they keep the position token. A bit later in the day you should get an email with your results .

robinph wrote: »
    You can leave your barcode in your bag until after you finish.

When you do finish they will give you another barcode, you then go and fetch your personal one and take the two of them along to the queue for the person doing the scanning. They will scan the two of them and they keep the position token. A bit later in the day you should get an email with your results .

Thanks and is there a secureish baggage storage area do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

There is no secure area, but people do leave stuff at picnic benches near start, but all at own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

There are always plenty of marshals and people watching the race, so baggage is generally ok. I have left a bag before with one of the farmers market stallholders because I had something valuable in it. You will find someone to mind it for you if you are worried .

Castle Demense ParkRun in Macroom Co. Cork have a special guest in attendance for their event this Saturday.

Sonia O'Sullivan will line up with the rest of us mere mortals there this Saturday at 9.30am.

That is what is good about ParkRun. World Class athletes albeit former ones out for a social run with those that struggle to complete the 5K. Hopefully a good crowd will turn out for this unique opportunity

slingerz wrote: »
    Castle Demense ParkRun in Macroom Co. Cork have a special guest in attendance for their event this Saturday.

Sonia O'Sullivan will line up with the rest of us mere mortals there this Saturday at 9.30am.

That is what is good about ParkRun. World Class athletes albeit former ones out for a social run with those that struggle to complete the 5K. Hopefully a good crowd will turn out for this unique opportunity

any visiting parkrunners going to make this weekend???

What is the full list of Parkruns around Dublin? I am not available on Saturday morning was hoping to do one Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

What is the full list of Parkruns around Dublin? I am not available on Saturday morning was hoping to do one Sunday morning.

All Parkruns are at 9.30am on Saturday mornings, its the standard start time.

THe current Dublin Parkrun events are

Malahide Castle
    Marlay Park
    Griffeen Park , Lucan
    St Annes Park, Raheny

http://www.parkrun.ie/events/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

Lots of people ask how the timing works, just thought this might help:

- your own barcode from registration (which you should bring with you) says who you are e.g. Joe Bloggs
    - the barcode they give you at the end of the race says where you came in the race e.g. 50th
    - finally the timekeeper has a stopwatch that says the 50th person was e.g. 25 minutes

So put them all together with a bit of computer wizardry, and you have Joe Bloggs coming 50th with a time of 25 minutes.

I volunteered today in Marlay after a few runs there, and it was great. I wasn't tired at all:-)

Advertisement