Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

happens in all parkruns id say. seen it at my own where others turn around before the back point which is the furthest from the start/disapproving eyes. ive had people who were a minute behind me being ahead of me in the final 500 metres through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

slingerz wrote: »
    happens in all parkruns id say. seen it at my own where others turn around before the back point which is the furthest from the start/disapproving eyes. ive had people who were a minute behind me being ahead of me in the final 500 metres through it.

Thats just blatant cheating! cutting corners is one thing, not running to the specific turning point means you havent completed the course properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

slingerz wrote: »

I really don't get what the point of that is. Why cut such a big chunk out of the course. It defeats the object of running a timed, measured course. I cannot see what the point of it is.

Thats just blatant cheating! cutting corners is one thing, not running to the specific turning point means you havent completed the course properly.

i know sure but at the end of the day its not a 'race'! Should they enter a proper road race then i know id be comfortably ahead of them
    Duzzie wrote: »
    I really don't get what the point of that is. Why cut such a big chunk out of the course. It defeats the object of running a timed, measured course. I cannot see what the point of it is.

it does indeed defeat the purpose of it but what can ya do. I dont think id be comfortable calling them out on it. ive hear some of the 'faster' participants turn before this point too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Popped my Parkrun cherry in Marley this morning.
    Thanks to all involved on putting on a great event with a good community vibe and the market coffees afterwards were class as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Peterx wrote: »
    Popped my Parkrun cherry in Marley this morning.
    Thanks to all involved on putting on a great event with a good community vibe and the market coffees afterwards were class as well!

Me too, was great. Just started back running after over a year off and wanted to get a "race" in before the Remembrance Run in 2 weeks. Was happy with my time of 27:53, though a long way of my pb of 25:25 at MSB Patricks Day race back in '12...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Did Parkrun in Malahide on Saturday and must say those who got this event off the ground, and those that keep it going, deserve great credit. This is the type of event that gives humanity a good name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There should be someone from my club in Bristol over running in Malahide next Saturday, say hello and give them a good welcome. Getting over to do one of the Irish parkruns is on my list of things to do on my next trip back, but no idea when that will be yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

robinph wrote: »
    There should be someone from my club in Bristol over running in Malahide next Saturday, say hello and give them a good welcome. Getting over to do one of the Irish parkruns is on my list of things to do on my next trip back, but no idea when that will be yet.

Send me a PM with their name and we'll give them a shout on Saturday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Thanks for the shout out for my club mate guys, have had great reports back about the Malahide parkrun.

Hope your 1st birthday went well. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

There should be someone from my club in Bristol over running in Malahide next Saturday, say hello and give them a good welcome. QUOTE]
    Thanks for the shout out for my club mate guys, :D

Was that TRR?? ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

2 new locations for the New Year.

Naas Parkrun will start on 25th January at Naas Racecourse
    Ardgillan Parkrun will start in February at Ardgillan Castle Balbriggan

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kmjones77

Great news! Is there anybody out there interested in a Wexford parkrun?

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

kmjones77 wrote: »

Wexford or Wicklow would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vico1612

pistol_75 wrote: »
    2 new locations for the New Year.

Ardgillan Parkrun will start in February at Ardgillan Castle Balbriggan

Hope you like hills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Any word on a Cork City Park Run being organized any time soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 runningfan

any word on limerick city parkrun being organised soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

kmjones77 wrote: »

Would love one. Don't live there anymore but a regular visitor.

Johnstown Castle, JFK Park, The Raven in Curracloe, maybe the boardwalk on the quays? I'm sure there's loads of options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

nellocono wrote: »
    Any word on a Cork City Park Run being organized any time soon?
    runningfan wrote: »
    any word on limerick city parkrun being organised soon

The only way parkruns get organised is by someone local putting their hand up and saying they want to organise one. There's no-one sitting in parkrun HQ plotting their way into various towns and cities around UK/Ireland/rest of world, their role is one of facilitating local people who want to get one started up.

PM me for contact details if you want to be that person in Cork or Limerick or Wexford or Wicklow or anywhere else.

the only other parkrun close to being setup is in clonakilty apparently due in the new year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

Does anyone know if there is much resistance from running clubs in relation to a park run being setup on their 'turf'...I remember reading about clubs saying that Park Runs take away from local clubs who organize races as part of fund raising for important aspects of the club which if a Park run was on every Sat, it could drastically reduce participation in the club organized event?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Does anyone know if there is much resistance from running clubs in relation to a park run being setup on their 'turf'...I remember reading about clubs saying that Park Runs take away from local clubs who organize races as part of fund raising for important aspects of the club which if a Park run was on every Sat, it could drastically reduce participation in the club organized event?

I might be wrong but I think St Anne's was set up by and used by a lot of Raheny Shamrock runners and Marlay Park similarly by Dundrum South Dublin A.C.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

npresto wrote: »
    I might be wrong but I think St Anne's was set up by and used by a lot of Raheny Shamrock runners and Marlay Park similarly by Dundrum South Dublin A.C.

I think St Annes and Marlay are closely associated with those two clubs, though I'm not sure if the event directors are members (they could be. I don't know).

Does parkrun affect club races? Clubs will have to answer the question themselves, but I'm not seeing any drop in the major club fund raising races in Dublin (eg Jingle Bells, Raheny 5). What I've seen in Malahide is that some runners are starting in parkrun and then progressing to enter "real" races when they get fitter/faster or more confident. Club runners tend to use parkrun as a training session, not really target races themselves.

Any club with a bit of sense will back parkrun as much as they can and see about getting new members from the participants and encouraging them to run more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Would be interest to know what type of local clubs were mentioning this? From what I have seen these have been very well received by club runners. To me I think the races I have seen suffer have been poorly organised events from sports clubs (as separate to athletics clubs) or commercial races who view this as a handy way to generate funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

ecoli wrote: »
    Would be interest to know what type of local clubs were mentioning this? From what I have seen these have been very well received by club runners. To me I think the races I have seen suffer have been poorly organised events from sports clubs (as separate to athletics clubs) or commercial races who view this as a handy way to generate funds.

The November Parkrun Newsletter alludes to there having been 'resistance' from some parts of the running community, when it was being launched.
    There was a lot of resistance to parkrun as it was seen as yet more races in an otherwise crowded calendar and free to boot. Despite talking to a lot of clubs and councils the concept of a community based recreational activity welcoming all abilities was not understood. So what changed? The answer is you the parkrunners changed it. Once people came to a parkrun and experienced the welcome and community atmosphere they told others and so the word spread creating unprecedented growth.

http://www.parkrun.ie/news/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

npresto wrote: »

Not sure about Marlay, but Killerz, the organizer of the St Anne's park run, isn't a member of Raheny Shamrock. He did meet up with some Raheny members and members of the Malahide parkrun core group before St Anne's got up and running and there are Raheny members (or member?) on the core group of the St Anne's park run, and loads of Raheny runners run it - it's great to have one so close - but it's not a Raheny Shamrock-organised thing.

I agree with Plodder, I think parkrun gets more people running, and they may then start doing club races / joining a club. I know of at least one St Anne's park runner who is now running the Raheny races on Wednesdays because she heard about them from Raheny members at park run. I don't think it really does take away from the club races - I'm not sure how much the numbers dropped last week, but my friend and club mate who ran the St Anne's one last week said loads of people who usually run the park run weren't there because they were at Jingle Bells (a club race) instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭LloydChristmas

I definitely remember reading a harshly written comment on the corkrunning blog site regarding this about 1 or 2 years ago saying how he felt that Park run would take runners from the events that they organise which he felt we paramount to the success and future of the club etc etc...will try to dig up that thread if I can find it...Just wondering if there was a general negativity towards this in general from the wider running community...

In my opinion, I expect all of the established well organised runs that are put on by running clubs will continue. I personally would be glad to see the end or demise of runs that are organised purely to raise funds for profit or other means

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Dundrum SDAC work closely with Marlay Parkrun as far as I know - Declan (?) from Dundrum takes the parkrun warm up & is always around to answer questions etc. just last week there was a post on the Marlay facebook page from Dundrum encouraging people that had started parkrun as their first experience of athletics to consider joining a club (not necessarily Dundrum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I definitely remember reading a harshly written comment on the corkrunning blog site regarding this about 1 or 2 years ago saying how he felt that Park run would take runners from the events that they organise which he felt we paramount to the success and future of the club etc etc...will try to dig up that thread if I can find it...Just wondering if there was a general negativity towards this in general from the wider running community...
    This is the first post on De Blog regarding parkrun...not a negative in sight. I think you might possibly be confusing De Blog's take on this with other articles on (perhaps) commercials that "parachute" into a particular club's domain/calendar....similar to your second point, below.

My own take, on the Parkrun, is that anything (apart from the "fundraisers", like those you mention below) that gets more people out and active is welcome. I'd like my own club to consider organising one - the main obstacles I see are a) finding a suitable venue and b) committing the club to organising it week in-week out.....probably better leaving it as a non-club/cross-club/community effort.
    In my opinion, I expect all of the established well organised runs that are put on by running clubs will continue. I personally would be glad to see the end or demise of runs that are organised purely to raise funds for profit or other means
    We are *DEFINITELY* on the same wavelength here! The CRC debacle really brings home how people view these matters.

Advertisement