Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

I participated in the Westport parkrun on Saturday.
    http://www.parkrun.ie/westport/

The weather was glorious, the sun shown, could not have been better for the run.
    I want to say thanks to the people who organised the event and to all the volunteers who helped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

any more whisperings of these events around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Well done ultra :-)dying to see the photos from the 1st run at Westport, sorry I couldnt be there.....Ardgillan Castle Balbriggan is in with a fighting chance of gaining support from the ARTHUR GUINNESS PROJECT , results to be announced on the 23rd of this month..@ Slingerz ..did you have a location in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I participated in the Westport parkrun on Saturday.
    http://www.parkrun.ie/westport/

The weather was glorious, the sun shown, could not have been better for the run.
    I want to say thanks to the people who organised the event and to all the volunteers who helped out.

What's the course like? I think I ran most of it during last year's Sea2Summit but have a feeling it was a little 'lumpy'? Is it PB conducive??

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Amigaman wrote: »
    Well done ultra :-)dying to see the photos from the 1st run at Westport, sorry I couldnt be there.....Ardgillan Castle Balbriggan is in with a fighting chance of gaining support from the ARTHUR GUINNESS PROJECT , results to be announced on the 23rd of this month..@ Slingerz ..did you have a location in mind?

Sadly the Balbriggan project didn't make the cut with the Guinness funding project but other avenues are being explored for funding ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

belcarra wrote: »
    What's the course like? I think I ran most of it during last year's Sea2Summit but have a feeling it was a little 'lumpy'? Is it PB conducive??
    I was there for it on Saturday too. It's a nice course with a very straight forward out and back on the railway line walk around the town. It is completely smooth tarmac the whole way. A slight downhill for the first half and up obviously for the return, but it's not bad at all. There are actually two 180 degree turn arounds that'll slow you a bit, but I'd say it's a fast course otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭ultra_other

belcarra wrote: »
    What's the course like?
    This is the link for the course
    http://www.parkrun.ie/westport/course/
    It part of the Great Western Greenway. Its run on the section of the old railway track that has tarmac on it, its about 2.4KM section. Gentle slope down from the start to the end of the section where you loop back to the start, you don't feel the incline much, it very gentle and the you loop back to the start and run another 400 meters or so. I think its a nice run :D. Worst part is the ramp from the car park to start line :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Worst part is the ramp from the car park to start line :P

Ya, I remember running down that ramp at the end of S2S and the quads burning as I tried desperately to put on the brakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Sadly the Balbriggan project didn't make the cut with the Guinness funding project but other avenues are being explored for funding ...

Unfortunate to hear about Balbriggan project, hopefully they will be able to get up and running somehow.

any news on other parkrun event being setup around the country? would have thought places like Kilarney, Dingle would have one setup as they seem to have an active running community in the area. perhaps another couple around cork would set the trend for it to expand outside of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Hi All,

A colleague of mine mentioned a Phoenix park parkrun this Saturday, I've just registered and can't find any :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Hi All,

A colleague of mine mentioned a Phoenix park parkrun this Saturday, I've just registered and can't find any :(

There's a run in the Park this Saturday alright, but it's a bit longer than 5k!

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race-series/dublin-half-marathon/

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

You can follow the plans for new events as wells as the already estabklisehed ones over here ==>

http://www.parkrun.ie/events/

slingerz wrote: »
    any more whisperings of these events around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

murphd77 wrote: »
    There's a run in the Park this Saturday alright, but it's a bit longer than 5k!

http://dublinmarathon.ie/race-series/dublin-half-marathon/

There is no "parkrun" event in the Phoenix Park, and unlikely that there ever will be. We were trying to set up the third Dublin event (after Malahide and Marlay) in Phoenix to serve West Dublin (and more). It's a complicated web... Phoenix is managed by OPW not a council, and as well there hundred of official events staged in the Phoenix Park every year so it makes it difficult to get a slot. We opted for Griffeen in the end, but we had several options in West and South west Dublin, and there are still plenty of opportunities for more. St Annes in Raheny starts on 28/9/13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Tea Tree

Lovely run in Westport this morning and a nice target set for myself to beat next time :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Did my home parkrun in Westport today as well. Enjoyed it greatly.

Very well organised. Well done to the organisers and volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

Duzzie wrote: »
    And it works with the Parkrun scanners?? I'd assumed that they would have to be done by a specific company linked to parkrun to get the barcode right so that the parkrun scanners can read the code

Am interested in these, but how does it work? Will I need to re register? Dont understand how it will know my barcode by the number

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

frogstar wrote: »
    Am interested in these, but how does it work? Will I need to re register? Dont understand how it will know my barcode by the number
    The barcode is just a way of representing your parkrun id. One of the standard barcode symbologies is used, code128 probably. This is why some third parties can create keyrings etc. A barcode app on your phone be able to read it and probably tell you the symbology used. Google "barcode symbology" for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Duzzie wrote: »
    It would just be handy to have a sturdy tag on your car key that is less likely to be lost or forgotten. It may all be by the by though as I was trying to order but at the checkout, the website doesn't appear to accept delivery to any country other than the UK. I have emailed them to check.

I just ran a few through a laminator and punched a hole in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 baldymolloy

might give westport park run a go this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

cool , nice to see it on the go in westport, wont get there this weekend but hopefully next ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

woody1 wrote: »
    cool , nice to see it on the go in westport, wont get there this weekend but hopefully next ..

Send me a pm if you're coming and maybe I'll get to say hello at the cup of tea afterwards. We've done a lot of the same events but never met up.

Looking forward to the inaugural St. Anne's parkrun tomorrow. My new home course. :)

EDIT - thanks to all the volunteers in Raheny today. Flawless first St. Anne's. good to see some visitors over too. Great job all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

snailsong wrote: »
    Send me a pm if you're coming and maybe I'll get to say hello at the cup of tea afterwards. We've done a lot of the same events but never met up.
    will do ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

David Gillick gonna run in Marley tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Just a quick note on a Parkrun Ireland milestone I just noticed ...over the last two weeks ,with St. Annes and Westport now on stream the average weekly attendance is just over 1000 runners :-) the Parkrun movement is alive and growing strongly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Peckham

And another milestone - 1st birthday of Malahide parkrun on 9th November. Trying to arrange something special for the day. Stick it in the diaries. Nice social run two weeks after DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

A question on Parkrun etiquette. I'm a back of the packer as I have only recently returned to running after long period of inactivity but I love my Parkrun every Saturday. I do the Marlay one and get frustrated by people blatantly and massively cutting corners - at yesterday's run at the top of the final bend several people were cutting straight across the grass from well back before the corner, leaping about 20 places. Similarly I regularly see this on the turn before the hill. Now I mainly run for my own time but I do also enjoy seeing how many points I pick up (some weeks it's only 1 but as I improve Ive gotten over 20 sometimes) so others taking shortcuts does affect my score. In any competitive race, I'd happily call out someone shortening the course so much but I'm not sure where Parkrun fits on that spectrum as inclusiveness is such a part of the Parkrun ethos. Any thoughts?

Two thoughts. First, mention to the race director. A simple mention during the race briefing might be enough to put a stop to it. Failing that, marshals at the areas concerned might prevent this, but more volunteers will be required. You could volunteer to marshall one of these areas yourself and have the pleasure of going eyeball to eyeball with would-be offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 liamo66

Hi fiona-f we have noticed that corner cutting has been increasing lately at Marlay parkrun. We will be taking steps to address this over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Oh great, thank you. And huge congratulations and thanks to you and all the team for a consistently brilliant event. I look forward to volunteering soon.

I should add too that if it's within the race ethos that there should be community policing of the course, I'm happy to say "hey, don't take shortcuts" but I don't want to be doing that if it causes someone never to take part again.

Advertisement