Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What made you smile/frown/mad/sad/cry today-thread for all your emotional needs! V4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I had totally forgotten how good it was, musical.x! I really like Cho as well. And Van Pelt is gorgeous. Why are red heads always stunning?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Jane_LS_88 wrote: »
    I had totally forgotten how good it was, musical.x! I really like Cho as well. And Van Pelt is gorgeous. Why are red heads always stunning?? :)

i know i'm awful jealous of them. they have such nice hair :p
    i haven't watched any episode from the new season. i think i stopped when jane was kidnapped by red john but i never got to see what happened in the end or if it was actually red john. you really get engrossed in it! plus i love the song that red john plays when he's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Is Boards slow for anyone else tonight or is it just me?

It's take ages to go from one forum to another or make a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Is Boards slow for anyone else tonight or is it just me?

It's take ages to go from one forum to another or make a post.

Yeah it's doing that sporadically for me too.

I can't remember how far I got but think I got a few episodes into the second season. Starting from the beginning is great though. :)

I'm trying to decide what to do while watching it. I usually eat but I don't really want to do that. Maybe I'll knit..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Links and rainbow - just started listening to Rammstein there :p
    they are really good :D wish i could understand the words but the music is really great.
    where are they playing?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

At the O2 in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

There are plenty of people out there who would do your job, and for less money too.

Sorry for jumping on your post, it just gets to me when I see/hear people complaining about low wages, when there are thousands of people out there unemployed (myself included) who can barely make ends meet.

It's not like I don't understand what it's like to be unemployed, I have spent over a year in that situation. And you don't know what I'll be doing for that money. I hate this whole "You're lucky to have a job" mentality, it's such bullsh1t. When I was unemployed, my BF would feel bad about complaining about his job, but I told him to let it all out.

I've decided to go off and knit for a while and let another episode of The Mentalist load up. So then I'll have 3 in a row to watch. I r clever. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Lulz, just discovered the pay for my new job is laughibly sh1te - E19,665 per annum. I'll be getting only E14 more than if I was in a minimum wage job, and will have some pretty big responsibilities. Can't afford to be fussy though, and it's great experience. :)

if it something you're already qualified in can you negotiate? or at least a higher wage after 12 months or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's not like I don't understand what it's like to be unemployed, I have spent over a year in that situation. And you don't know what I'll be doing for that money. I hate this whole "You're lucky to have a job" mentality, it's such bullsh1t. When I was unemployed, my BF would feel bad about complaining about his job, but I told him to let it all out.

I agree, its a very Irish thing, this whole "shut up and be miserable" bs that people spout, there's always, always someone worse off than you, doesnt mean you cant be unhappy. I hate living month to month and being 30 years old and now having less money than I did at 25, thanks to my savings being crippled from a long term illness, you just spend it playing catchup, paying off bits on loans and all that. there's nothing at all wrong with valuing yourself more than the bare minimum, a friend of mine is great at negotiating his pay every year becuase he knows what he's worth to who he works for.

krudler wrote: »
    if it something you're already qualified in can you negotiate? or at least a higher wage after 12 months or something

It's something I do have some previous experience in, but it's my first job at that institution which means they start me at the bottom. It's actually a public service job, which I didn't realise until today, and that means strict payscales and increments. The next step up is pretty terrible. Best bet is work my arse off at this job, so that I can apply for higher paying ones in a year or two. At least the work is stimulating.

I didn't claim or suggest that you don't know what it is to be unemployed.

I simply stated that there are many people out there would would gladly do your job for less money.

You said your pay is "laughibly sh1te" and you "only" be getting €14 more than those on the minimum wage - which is why I picked up on your post.

You're right, I don't know what you'll be doing for that money, and I don't particularly want to know either.

I also never claimed or suggested that you (or anyone else) shouldn't complain about work etc.

krudler wrote: »
    I agree, its a very Irish thing, this whole "shut up and be miserable" bs that people spout, there's always, always someone worse off than you, doesnt mean you cant be unhappy. I hate living month to month and being 30 years old and now having less money than I did at 25, thanks to my savings being crippled from a long term illness, you just spend it playing catchup, paying off bits on loans and all that. there's nothing at all wrong with valuing yourself more than the bare minimum, a friend of mine is great at negotiating his pay every year becuase he knows what he's worth to who he works for.

Yup, I'm in the same boat. Left my last job to get on top of mental illness (depression and anxiety, now happily resolved). I'm delighted to get back into the game, and it is a great job experience-wise, but I'm 28 so to be earning so little at this stage of my life is a bit ****. I've never known what it's like to have a decent amount of money.

You said your pay is "laughibly sh1te" and you "only" be getting €14 more than those on the minimum wage - which is why I picked up on your post.

You're right, I don't know what you'll be doing for that money, and I don't particularly want to know either.

If you don't want to know, then I suggest not being so judgemental.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I didn't claim or suggest that you don't know what it is to be unemployed.

I simply stated that there are many people out there would would gladly do your job for less money.

I also never claimed or suggested that you (or anyone else) shouldn't complain about work etc.

Those same people will then probably complain at their wage when they're earning it and trying to live a life on it.

It's also unfair on those who work hard for their wage and are then expected to feel guilty about it

Ths "be thankful for a job" crap is just that. Yes there are people struggling with no jobs, there are also hundreds more struggling with a job who can often end up less well off than those without jobs.

If you don't want to know, then I suggest not being so judgemental.
    I apologise for coming across as judgemental, it's not how my posts were intended.
    Those same people will then probably complain at their wage when they're earning it and trying to live a life on it.

It's also unfair on those who work hard for their wage and are then expected to feel guilty about it
    Ths "be thankful for a job" crap is just that. Yes there are people struggling with no jobs, there are also hundreds more struggling with a job who can often end up less well off than those without jobs.
    Where did I say anyone should be thankful for having a job, income? I didn't.

You're right there are plenty more people out there with jobs who are struggling, I never disagreed with that.

And I wasn't trying to make anyone feel guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

so, I know that I'm not supposed to shampoo my hair every day, as that can be bad for it, but damn I hate it when I don't shampoo! :o feels wrong.

I apologise for coming across as judgemental, it's not how my posts were intended.

Where did I say anyone should be thankful for having a job, income? I didn't.

You're right there are plenty more people out there with jobs who are struggling, I never disagreed with that.

And I wasn't trying to make anyone feel guilty.

It was implied...
    There are plenty of people out there who would do your job, and for less money too.

Sorry for jumping on your post, it just gets to me when I see/hear people complaining about low wages, when there are thousands of people out there unemployed (myself included) who can barely make ends meet.

Links234 wrote: »
    so, I know that I'm not supposed to shampoo my hair every day, as that can be bad for it, but damn I hate it when I don't shampoo! :o feels wrong.
    +1 Links.

There's nothing like freshly washed, clean hair.

Have you tried dry shampoo for the days you don't wash? I don't use it myself, but have heard good things about it. Batiste is meant to be good and inexpensive too.

• Advertisement

It was implied...
    Which was implied?

Me trying to make anyone feel guilty or me being judgemental?

I apologised for coming across as judgemental, as I said, it wasn't how my posts were intended.

And I apologise for making anyone feel guilty, again, it wasn't intended.

Which was implied?

Me trying to make anyone feel guilty or me being judgemental?

I apologised for coming across as judgemental, as I said, it wasn't how my posts were intended.

And I apologise for making anyone feel guilty, again, it wasn't intended.

Maybe you didn't but that is how it came across. The whole "thankful" thing.

Lets leave it at that though. I'm not trying to start a fight. If you didn't mean to come across that way then all is good with me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Went for a walk to help with weight loss and train for marathon, an hour later had low blood sugars 3.2 and ending up scoffing my face as I was symptomatic. Went and ate twice as much calories I should have burned...... not good.

Links234 wrote: »

Don't ever get caught in the cycle of washing your hair every day, it's so bad! It dries your hair out so much. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, sometimes less as it stays tied up when I'm working so doesn't get touched or greasy for a few days, and my hair is really shiny and strong. That and not blow drying it.

Edit: I feel so old. The weekend of my birthday and I'm in bed at half 9, showered, all moisturised and cosy, going for birthday lunch after work tomorrow and then for a walk in the woods with our dog and boyfriend's baby nephew, before possibly enjoying a few Diet 7Up's in the pub and having an early night. A few years ago birthdays meant 2-3 nights out doing shots and staying up til all hours, what have I become??!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Acoshla wrote: »
    A few years ago birthdays meant 2-3 nights out doing shots and staying up til all hours, what have I become??!

Sensible and hangover free! :D

Sensible and hangover free! :D

Actually I never got bad hangovers before 2 years ago, now if I have one drink or 10 drinks I get the same hangover, banging headache and so tired, there's no middle ground! I used to go out 5-6 nights a week in college, get home at 6am and up for college at 8.30am where I used to actually be productive, and then do the whole thing again the next night, HOW??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Actually I never got bad hangovers before 2 years ago, now if I have one drink or 10 drinks I get the same hangover, banging headache and so tired, there's no middle ground! I used to go out 5-6 nights a week in college, get home at 6am and up for college at 8.30am where I used to actually be productive, and then do the whole thing again the next night, HOW??

I've no idea :eek:

I'm the opposite though. I've never done the whole 'going out' thing. A handful of nights out at 18/19 and it confirmed to me that it's not for me!

(I've never even been properly drunk :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It was my bday too yesterday too and I went out and drank everything and I'm not well, thankfully it's nearly bed time!

Happy belated birthday Acoshla :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I think I have a chocolate hangover... too much chocolate today. Need to swear off the stuff for a while. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Don't ever get caught in the cycle of washing your hair every day, it's so bad! It dries your hair out so much. I wash my hair 2-3 times a week, sometimes less as it stays tied up when I'm working so doesn't get touched or greasy for a few days, and my hair is really shiny and strong. That and not blow drying it.

Ah, I've been washing it every day for ages :o

like, should I be tying it up in the shower, and not even getting it wet?

I've also heard from different people that when I was it, I should sometimes use conditioner, but not shampoo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement