Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to speak Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

First of all, it's not a dead language and it's attitudes like this that are killing it and giving other people a bad attitude to it. Secondly, it's the Irish language, it's part of our heritage and history and if anything, there should be more time and effort put into improving the teaching of Irish and making it a better experience for learners.

It really bugs me how quickly people are prepared to just completely forget Irish and bury it instead of trying to hold onto something that holds serious cultural value, especially in an era when it seems that cultural identity is really being lost.

i agree with you 100%. the irish language is most certainly not dead. my first language is Irish and if you don't use irish your not very Irish at all, more British

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I really don't go in for the "heritage" and "cultural" buzzwords. So what?

I'll agree that more time should be put into inproving it, but at the end of the day you have to let peopel choose for themselves - as this includes kids. It's the arrogant thinking that it SHOULD be done by EVERYONE and that EVERYONE should hang on to cultrual ideneity that pushes poeple away from it.

You have to accept that it's simply not as important to others as it is to yourself and holding this viewpoint is perfectly acceptable.

I didn't think his comments were too pushy by any means! It is our heritage and therefore more time should be put into improving the teaching of it...exactly what he said.People are ranting on a bit too much here.

If the language went tomorrow, would you not feel that a piece of our identity would go with that?

i agree with you 100%. the irish language is most certainly not dead. my first language is Irish and if you don't use irish your not very Irish at all, more British

I can see this maybe getting a few dislikes

I'd consider Irish as my 1st language also, but I have many friends that don't speak a word of Irish, but they are as irish as they get.I wouldn't deem them British by any means

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I didn't think his comments were too pushy by any means! It is our heritage and therefore more time should be put into improving the teaching of it...exactly what he said.People are ranting on a bit too much here.

If the language went tomorrow, would you not feel that a piece of our identity would go with that?
    There's that "our" word again. Stop speaking for the irish nation. You speak only for yourself. If irish was gone tomorrow it wouldn't matter to me because I don't hold it in any value or consider it any part of my identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DyldeBrill wrote: »

Because he (and you) fail to take into account the concept of individual freedom.

A lot of poeple feel that nationality is overrated and heritige and culture are, as I said buzzwords. What is the importance of "heritage"? What is the importance of "culture"? Culture to me is just automatically doing the same thing over and over again without thinking. So why should I learn a language that is of more importance to you than to me?

And can explain exactly what you mean by "our identity"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    There's that "our" word again. Stop speaking for the irish nation. You speak only for yourself. If irish was gone tomorrow it wouldn't matter to me because I don't hold it in any value or consider it any part of my identity.

And that's completely fine! Our as in us Irish speakers.And if you don't speak Irish or care for it, for the 100th time its perfectly alright! I have not forced Irish onto anyone here! I have argued things that have been said about Irish language such as funding and so on.

If you don't speak it...FINE!

Tír gan saol, tír gan anam and I stand by that quote a 100%. Maybe I should re-phrase the "our identity" things are taken way to literally here!

In MY opinion I think the Irish language makes me unique, it makes me proud to be Irish, It lets me understand my native tongue.I love being able to read through old Irish, reading the thoughts of a nation where people only spoke Irish.Yes its not a najor language now but it once was.Just as the french are a proud nation, they would consider their language part as their cultural heritage, and believe it or not heritage is not a buzzword to everyone.It might be for you, but with others it means quite a lot.

Sorry for my past wording as I know you love to pick up on it.I'm talking about ME here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What does British have to do with it? Americans speak English, they're not British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Schapiro

I'd rather be a native speaker of Irish, with English as a second language.

I won't waste my breath trying to explain why, not on here anyway. But for anyone who is interested in why it IS important to speak Irish, or any minority or indigenous language, especially in a growing global economy and culture, I urge you to read the book "Vanishing Voices" by Daniel Nettle & Suzanne Romaine.

"We would be outraged if Notre Dame Cathedral or the Great Pyramid of Giza were demolished to make way for modern buildings. We should be similarly appalled when languages - monuments to human genius far more ancient and complex than anything we have built with our hands - erode." -David Harrison

I must say Stephen Fry did quite a bit for the Irish language! Fair play to him being on Ros na Rún also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Interesting, but really really sad.
    Nothing but what you consider part of your identity or culture has any value to you or is of any worth.
    As someone who feels all cultures have a value, and enrich the human experience with variety and "colour", comments like that make me shudder to the core because I know you are actually serious.
    What makes it worse is that you are not talking about some far off obscure culture, but that of your neighbours, obviously not your friend's as surely you would value or mourn the loss of part of a friend's culture even if it isn't yours, though I suppose the word "empathy" isn't in your vocabulary.

Edit: I just want to add to this and say regarding "our", and I think I might be speaking for many many people. To me "our" means all the people of Ireland whoever they are, for example, I would in any argument say Protestantism is part of our culture even though that is not my family's faith nor part of my own personal culture, but it is part of my culture as an Irishman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

No need for it. I speak the language of the culture I identify with.

It's nice to learn another language too but Irish isn't useful to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Well done. You've just helped hurt the language even further.

This "you're not Irish if you don't speak the language / play GAA / practice an a-la-carte bastardised version of Catholicism / vote Fianna Fail / wear the green jersey / conform to my way of thinking" bull**** does nothing to further your cause.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

First of all, it's not a dead language and it's attitudes like this that are killing it and giving other people a bad attitude to it. Secondly, it's the Irish language, it's part of our heritage and history and if anything, there should be more time and effort put into improving the teaching of Irish and making it a better experience for learners.

It really bugs me how quickly people are prepared to just completely forget Irish and bury it instead of trying to hold onto something that holds serious cultural value, especially in an era when it seems that cultural identity is really being lost.
    Are you fully fluent as Gaelige? If not, how can you have such an opinion? If not, what are you hoping to prove? If not, your argument falls dead on it's arse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Wibbs wrote: »
    Are you fully fluent as Gaelige? If not, how can you have such an opinion? If not, what are you hoping to prove? If not, your argument falls dead on it's arse.
    I'd like to comment about fluency in a language, and one's support for or feelings towards that language.
    My point will be that one's level of fluency does not equate to one's level of support for a language.

Firstly, the important issue that to attain a high level of fluency in any language takes a lot of time, effort and preferably immersion, so because of the very nature of modern life, even with the best of will these may not be possible for many people.
    So, would not having time for Irish lessons because of struggling to pay a mortgage, show anything other than someone feels keeping a roof over their family's head is more important to them than "saving" the Irish language?

Secondly, a person could be a genuinely fanatical supporter of a language, but for what could be any number of reasons is just beginning to learn that language, with the ultimate aim of becoming fluent.
    So, does the fact that someone is just begining to learn a language somhow equate to a lesser level of support, than that of someone who is further along in the process?

Thirdly, many people have a genuine difficulty learning another language and would never really attain a good level of fluency no matter how hard they try.
    So, would someone's difficulty with language learning somehow equate to a lesser level of support, despite the fact that they are actually trying to learn it?

And finally, the very thought of trying to learn another language can fill many people with dread, and though they might love to speak another language, they often find the hardest hurdle is actually making a start.
    In any group of (adult) language learners an oft heard comment is "I've wanted to do this for years, but was always nervous about taking the first step".

Remember now, this is only about "level of fluency" not about people who would claim to support, but would never attempt to use what they have of a language, or even try to learn it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Agreed on all points CG. I myself would support the language and would truly hate to see it die out, just not to the degree of others. However in the Irish language environment in particular, there seems to be a crazily high proportion of people who all claim to support it, sometimes quite vociferously, but yet have never learned or even attempted to learn to speak it. Maybe it's that unique Irish mindset of "well it is and it isn't". We do love our contradictions :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The bit I don't understand is the way people constantly say:
    "I'd love to be able to .........."
    "I wish I would have ........"

etc.
    (i.e. I wish somebody else would do the work for me, I'm not going to)

Why do we rarely hear:
    "Actually I'm going to get off my hole and do something about this"
    "Actually I'm going to sit down this evening after work and study for an hour"

Many people here seem to wish they could speak Irish without doing any of the work. I think this is a trait of a mono-lingual population.
    Monolingual speakers do not understand how much work it takes just to maintain a second language, not to mind learn it.

It's not something you can just acquire and possess, like a Plasma TV.
    It's much more like something you have to work at on a regular basis - like the ability to run a full marathon or to bench-press 200kg.
    If you stop working at it, the ability fades.

Having said all that - if you really want to do it, you can.
    So what is stopping people?

Maybe it's a problem with my understanding of people? Is that it?
    When I hear people say, I'd love to speak Irish - I think they really mean it.
    Maybe I should really be just treating it the same as the overweight women in work who start a diet every monday morning and finish it by lunch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Having said all that - if you really want to do it, you can.
    So what is stopping people?

Thats actually a very good question, obviously there is a certain amount of wistfullness when people say things like that, but there are also pratical concerns, learning a language is a time consuming business, and it takes a good while before you start seeing the results.

Another issue is that there can often be a certain amount of anxiety when it comes to speaking Irish, fear of making mistakes or meeting someone with a chip on their sholder against the language.

I have encountered a certain perception that if your not fluent then your not good enough. If someone hears me speaking Irish they tend to assume that I'm from a Gaeltacht area or fluent in the language(I'm neither btw), the idea that someone would speak a language without being fluent somehow seems exceptional.
    I have often met people who say they can't speak Irish, and end up talking to them in Irish for an hour, its often not that they can't but that they don't have the confidence to.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    The bit I don't understand is the way people constantly say:
    "I'd love to be able to .........."
    "I wish I would have ........"

etc.
    (i.e. I wish somebody else would do the work for me, I'm not going to)

Why do we rarely hear:
    "Actually I'm going to get off my hole and do something about this"
    "Actually I'm going to sit down this evening after work and study for an hour"

+1

I'm actively trying to learn Irish, I was raised in the UK so Irish is to me a completely foreign language.
    I would guess that my current level of Irish is similar to third or fifth year primary school.
    I know this because I help the kids with their homework and can understand the coursework.

It takes a lot of hard work to learn a language and it needs time and dedication, sometimes I just give up for a few weeks and then get back into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭phonejacker

any suggestions of how could the Irish language could be revived?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

I'd love to be able to speak the language and I'm doing my Leaving at the moment so I am still learning.

I have a problem though with how it's taught in this country, I've been learning the language for 13 years and still really only know a very small amount of Irish. Surely we should have a nation of fluent speakers if the teaching was up to scratch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

Id prefer to speak Chinese. Then the people that work in the take-away will actually understand me.

I'd love to be able to speak the language and I'm doing my Leaving at the moment so I am still learning.

I have a problem though with how it's taught in this country, I've been learning the language for 13 years and still really only know a very small amount of Irish. Surely we should have a nation of fluent speakers if the teaching was up to scratch?
    I suspect that the vast majority of those children have parents who couldn't give a fúck about Irish and the children pick up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I suspect that the vast majority of those children have parents who couldn't give a fúck about Irish and the children pick up on it.

More the education system, to be honest. If anything, parents are quiet happy to push for bilingual kids.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    More the education system, to be honest. If anything, parents are quiet happy to push for bilingual kids.
    TBH I’ve yet to find a parent who is supportive of their children learning Irish, except those who have sent them to the gaelscoil of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

any suggestions of how could the Irish language could be revived?

teach it in school?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

at the end of the day though all a language is (including irish and english), is how we use our vocal chords to make a sound. nothing more than that really.
    what's funny is with Irish, many people are so desperate to keep it alive, but they don't seem to give a **** about these languages which have died out. why should irish be any different? :confused:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_language#Recently_extinct_languages

irish just isin't useful in this day and age, most if not all people in this country can speak English better than Iish, could people not just accept that we speak english as our general spoken language? there's not a chance people will start speaking irish as fluently as english in this country, even if some new policy was introduced that people would get executed on the spot if they spoke english instead of irish.

i can understand that some people want to keep it alive, and value it, but why is it forced on the rest of the country to ''learn'' it in school? :confused: most people will never speak a word of it again, and the fact that its compulsory - which violates the most basic human right: the right to freedom and the right to speak their own language, is just disgusting. it should become non-compulsory in schools - thank you fine gael for copping that on, which the other parties didn't! let people speak and choose their own language, and we'd have no problems. if you want to speak irish, then go ahead, but it shouldn't be forced in people like myself, who don't want to speak it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wibbs wrote: »
    Agreed on all points CG. I myself would support the language and would truly hate to see it die out, just not to the degree of others. However in the Irish language environment in particular, there seems to be a crazily high proportion of people who all claim to support it, sometimes quite vociferously, but yet have never learned or even attempted to learn to speak it. Maybe it's that unique Irish mindset of "well it is and it isn't". We do love our contradictions :)

This is true. I setup an Irish group in my city a few years back.. We've had over 100 people pass through the doors.. but only about 12-14 people have come back with any regularity.

So while I certainly believe that many people would love to be able to speak Irish, not as many are willing to put in the effort required. Which if I must be honest, isn't even that much. I pop into a pub once a week for a coffee/tea - sometimes a few pints if my health permits. It's a nice social meet, without any classroom pressure.. A real genuine environment that's not forced.

I think some of those however who have not come back have probably felt out of their depths when sitting down for the first time, and hearing everyone conversing in Irish. It's new for many people to hear Irish being spoken naturally, with free-flowing conversation.. They feel as if they are not up to it or good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

This is part of the (very unfortunate) misconception we have due to being a monolingual nation - the idea that we can reform the system and produce fluent speakers. That's not possible.
    To attain fluency requires immersion, to retain fluency requires sustained bursts of high exposure.

I had the same misconceptions myself until I started learning languages independently. You naturally think after 13 years of language learning you should be fluent.
    Of course, if it were the case, then people would become fluent much more often. Those who do become fluent actively pursue the language, in a way the average pupil does not - usually by going to gaelscoils, going to Irish college, being educated through Irish, speaking Irish in the family home or living in a Gaelteacht.

I'll bet even the brain boxes you went to school with who got 10 As in the leaving cert, even they are not fluent, if they have only learned though the school system.
    Brain boxes are able to overcome the inadequacies of their teachers/system to achieve proficiency. So why are they not fluent in Irish?
    The answer is because they would not need to overcome the education system - they would need to overcome the general population's apathy and resistance.

It goes to the heart of the debate really:
    Q.What do people hope will be the outcome of reforming Irish?

If an Irish person believes that we can reform the curriculum and begin to produce fluent speakers, then they are fundamentally mistaken.
    You could have the very best teachers in the world, following the very best methods. It will still never be achieved.
    We didn't produce fluent Latin & Greek speakers in the 50s.
    We didn't produce fluent Irish speakers in the 30s or the 90s.
    We don't even produce fluent French & German speakers now.
    We are asking the impossible of Irish teachers.

Our schools will never produce fluent Irish speakers, unless they all become Gaelscoils, Irish becomes the dominant language, and a significant body of the population are prepared to sacrifice the dominance of Hiberno-English.
    The best we can do in the current Ireland is help you to prepare yourself for becoming fluent.

This is what they had to do in Wales.
    People are looking at the Welsh system, wondering how they are managing to achieve such success compared to us.
    People's minds are blown by the fact that Israel achieved full penetration in a generation.
    People are looking at the school system as though it holds the key.......people are looking in the wrong place.
    What do these nations have in common?
    The answer is that the all sacrificed the dominance of one language, in order to promote a different language, be it Yiddish, Russian, German, English etc.

Now - compare Ireland:
    We pay lip service to the language in school, we never hear it spoken in the home, or among friends. We do not even practise or use the language, not to mind immerse ourselves.
    After school, you will never hear the language spoken again, unless you go hunting in search of it.
    Then we are confused why our system is not delivering results.:confused:

If you spent 13 years reading about how to drive a car, you will probably be technically very good in some aspects, but unless you actually sit into the car and actually drive, then all you have ever done is prepare for a driving test that was never going to come anyway, and if it ever does come, you are not going to be a good driver....you've never dealt with the high pressure situation of driving a car at 100kmph with cars coming the opposite direction, the road becoming narrorwer, imperfect weather conditions............. how could you be a competent driver in fairness?

In every country, there is always a dominant language.
    I will take Lithuania as an example because it's a country I'm familiar with.
    In the capital, Vilnius, the dominant language is Russian. Polish is also prominent. Lithuanian is not very frequently spoken.
    In the second city, Kaunas - This is the nationalist city - You will get funny looks or may even be spat at in the street if you are heard speaking Russian.
    If you want your kids to learn Russian in Kaunas, then you send them to a Russian school, they will be educated through Russian, they will have Russian friends.
    Russian must become an active part of their daily life in school, at home and among friends.
    If you took the Irish system to Kaunas and expected the pupils to become fluent Russian speakers, they would probably have you checked into a psychological ward for examination.

To achieve fluency you need immersion.
    Immersion in Ireland would require:
    A) All primary schools become Gaelscoils
    B) Education is conducted through Irish
    C) The general population would need to begin conversing in Irish and desist from speaking English, in public and in private

I didn't particularly like language learning in school nor was I was particularly good at it, just average really.
    After school, I discovered I really enjoyed learning language and actually had a bit of a talent for it.
    I became fluent in Polish, took me about 3 years to get a conversational level, then the real work started, although it was good fun.
    In all honesty, I now struggle desperately to retain the language, even tho I am exposed to Russian on a daily basis and there is a large similarity.
    I simply don't get the exposure I once had.

Irish people really need to realise that unless they are prepared to get up off their armchair and actively start learning and using the language, then they are no different from the same people who publicly proclaim they wish to look like David Beckham, but simply won't/don't want to go without those 5 pints on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The government needs to stop paying the language 'lip service'. Either fully suppport it by creating a proper network of gaelscoilenna, leading to a bi-lingual society, or else just leave it go the way of Cornish.

Just cut out this half @rsed way of promoting it. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly. The current system is keeping it alive, but the language is in no way thriving. The overwhelming majority of Irish people have nothing more than basic Irish - a damning indictment of how Irish is taught in our schools.

Like i said, lip service.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

Love to see this poll in scandinavia or anywhere else in europe, 38% not wanting to speak their native tongue.:o shame.

Advertisement