Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you prefer to speak Irish?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Ah now Ikky Poo. Don't be feeding the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I am a fluent Irish speaker myself.I'm currently studying communications in the Acadamh in Carraroe.I never really knew how lucky I was to be able to speak Irish before going there.Its a blessing.Theres nothing better than being able to speak your native language willingly.What is so beautiful about the Gaeltacht region is that people want to speak it, and its beautiful to hear.

Its a pity to see people not wanting to speak it.Even people that mock it should be ashamed of themselves.Be proud to be Irish and our language comes with that pride!

Is fiú labhairt focal nó dhó!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I can't help but feel that people's disdain for the language, particularly those who use the "dead language" argument, stems from how poorly it is taught in schools and the bad experiences they had as a result. There is no problem with being happy to speak English - I'm also glad I speak the language - but to actively want it to die seems odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Its a pity to see people not wanting to speak it.Even people that mock it should be ashamed of themselves.Be proud to be Irish and our language comes with that pride!

Should one learn Irish dancing, the uilleann pipes and go hare coursing to be proud to be Irish also? Much of Ireland's literary reputation comes from it's english language writers, Swift, Joyce, Beckett et al. I doubt many could name even one Irish language writer apart from Peig.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I am fluent in English and Spanish is my second language (I am not Spanish - I study in my own time and for my own pleasure)

I am unable to hold even a basic conversation in Irish, I studied it in school and once my leaving cert Irish exams ended I made room in my brain for whatever exam was next. The same goes for French which I studied for six years in school, as soon as the exam ended that was the last time I gave energy and time to it.

I have never had cause to use Irish in any situation whatsoever and it has not opened (or closed) any doors for me regarding jobs. None of my friends speak or have made any attempts to converse in Irish with me.

One friend of mine made a real fool of herself not so long ago when she spent alot of time bragging about her fluency in Irish and went onto "prove" herself by clicking the "as gaeilge" option on the ATM, she ended up needing my help to even start her transaction. I, luckily for her, knew the order in which the questions go and was able to help her but it only proved to me that people clicking the "fluent in Irish" box on the census were in fact deluding themselves.

I do not have any feelings for or against the language, it sounds very gutteral to me. I don't hate it but do see it as more of a hobby for people rather than an essential subject to excel in.

Saying that, I wouldn't like to see it disappear altogether and have great respect for anyone trying to keep the language alive. I can't help wondering if it was left up to people to study Irish as a hobby rather than associating it with the stress of important exams and all that goes with it then maybe it would flourish a bit more.

In my opinion if Irish were learned through music, story telling, humour and art - like how all things were learned in Ireland originally then it would find a place for itself in modern society but at the moment the way we are learning it is probably turning people against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I would love to be able to speak Irish fluently. I can understand a lot but find it hard to speak

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Should one learn Irish dancing, the uilleann pipes and go hare coursing to be proud to be Irish also? Much of Ireland's literary reputation comes from it's english language writers, Swift, Joyce, Beckett et al. I doubt many could name even one Irish language writer apart from Peig.

This is the perfect example of pure ignorance! Where did I mention anything about uilleann pipes? There are many famous Irish writers that write through Irish...just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist.Again, a perfect example of ignorance.Why should I name them when you won't show respect towards their work!

I'd never force anyone to speak it, I just think its a shame that they don't.There are some wonderful small little things within the Irish language that make me love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,259 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Ah now Ikky Poo. Don't be feeding the trolls.

My apologies, I thought he was a duck. I liked feeding ducks...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I do not have any feelings for or against the language, it sounds very gutteral to me.
    Funny, I always thought Spanish sounded like the outgassings of a diarrhetic lizard.

Lovely language besides that though.

What I like most about threads like these are the contributions from our northern neighbours, especially poignant since Norn Iron has been rated as the most racist place on earth.

This is the perfect example of pure ignorance! Where did I mention anything about uilleann pipes?
    What did you expect from the same joker that tried to equate Irish with the Catholic church? Probably a noddy, they tend to swarm to threads like this like flies on shite.

• Advertisement

This is the perfect example of pure ignorance! Where did I mention anything about uilleann pipes? There are many famous Irish writers that write through Irish...just because you haven't heard of them doesn't mean they don't exist.Again, a perfect example of ignorance.Why should I name them when you won't show respect towards their work!

I'd never force anyone to speak it, I just think its a shame that they don't.There are some wonderful small little things within the Irish language that make me love it!

I was using uileann pipes as an example. I said that most people couldnt name many Irish writers. Just because you can doesnt alter that fact.

I know there are many phrases and such in the Irish language that are beautiful but I feel no shame for having no inclination to learn a language that I can live happily without.

Doc Ruby wrote: »

What I like most about threads like these are the contributions from our northern neighbours, especially poignant since Norn Iron has been rated as the most racist place on earth.

I'm not from the North. :confused:

What did you expect from the same joker that tried to equate Irish with the Catholic church? Probably a noddy, they tend to swarm to threads like this like flies on shite.

Its a bit childish. I am happy to debate anything I have said in my posts and wont personally insult any poster in stating my case. By the wat you have completely missed my point, or are deliberately misrepresenting my argument re- irish and the catholic church.

I'm not from the North. :confused:
    Good for you.

I was using uileann pipes as an example. I said that most people couldnt name many Irish writers. Just because you can doesnt alter that fact.

I know there are many phrases and such in the Irish language that are beautiful but I feel no shame for having no inclination to learn a language that I can live happily without.

Why mention uilleann pipes when it has no relevance at all to what we are talking about?I do not get this "example".

And I'm glad you are happy! Once again I will reiterate that I do not force the Irish language on anyone.Just don't knock it unless you've put time and effort into learning it properly.

Funny, I always thought Spanish sounded like the outgassings of a diarrhetic lizard.

Lovely language besides that though.

I thought Whatdoicare made some very valid points. On the other hand you have shown your own prejudice by assuming someone was from Northern Ireland because they hold a different view to you.

On the other hand you have shown your own prejudice by assuming someone was from Northern Ireland because they hold a different view to you.
    Prejudice assumes there isn't real data to back up one's position. And of course, I didn't claim either you or the other lad were from Norn Iron, although I have yet to see you deny it. Are you sure you wouldn't like to work in a hey fiddle dee, some shamrocks and a shillelagh into your argument somewhere?

Prejudice assumes there isn't real data to back up one's position. And of course, I didn't claim either you or the other lad were from Norn Iron, although I have yet to see you deny it. Are you sure you wouldn't like to work in a hey fiddle dee, some shamrocks and a shillelagh into your argument somewhere?

Didnt hear me deny it? Wow I dont know where I got the idea that some people use the Irish language as a cloak of bigotry.

I thought Whatdoicare made some very valid points. On the other hand you have shown your own prejudice by assuming someone was from Northern Ireland because they hold a different view to you.

I think Safesurfer that we're wasting our time on two people (I'm assuming two people but it could just as easily be one) who aren't in this to show us the merits of the Irish language but to troll us - suggesting I'm from the North and then sarcastically answering me when I corrected him/her says it all - I'd suggest leaving any more replies until others with more interesting things to say join in the conversation.

I understood exactly what you meant in both your arguments regarding the church and also the pipes/coursing etc - anyone with even a basic understanding of Irish history and traditional culture understands what you were trying to say - I didn't know enough history or facts myself to comment further on your points without research but I see what you are suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Even people that mock it should be ashamed of themselves.Be proud to be Irish and our language comes with that pride!
    I was with you up until this point.

People who can cause us to laugh at our silly irrational behaviours are some of the most important contributors to social progress that I can think of. And people who think that speaking a certain way, in this case speaking as gaeilge, confers Irishness on an individual, or who even believes quite seriously in Irishness as a valid concept, is someone who could probably do with a sense of humour.

• Advertisement

Didnt hear me deny it? Wow I dont know where I got the idea that some people use the Irish language as a cloak of bigotry.
    Are you from the north? Because some people use their hatred for a beautiful language as a cloak for their political prejudices, and no shortage of that around here I can tell you.
    anyone with even a basic understanding of Irish history and traditional culture understands what you were trying to say
    Great news, someone with a basic understanding of Irish history and traditional culture did read what he had to say and decided it was just nuts to equate the Irish language with the Catholic church.

Aren't we glad that saved some time?

I think Safesurfer that we're wasting our time on two people (I'm assuming two people but it could just as easily be one) who aren't in this to show us the merits of the Irish language but to troll us - suggesting I'm from the North and then sarcastically answering me when I corrected him/her says it all - I'd suggest leaving any more replies until others with more interesting things to say join in the conversation.

I understood exactly what you meant in both your arguments regarding the church and also the pipes/coursing etc - anyone with even a basic understanding of Irish history and traditional culture understands what you were trying to say - I didn't know enough history or facts myself to comment further on your points without research but I see what you are suggesting.

Who is this second person.All you are doing is displaying ignorance.Safesurfer and I had a mature argument, where I respect his/her decision! I'm not here to try change minds, I'm merely stating my own views.But let me ask you this.....what does uilleann pipes and hare coursing have to do with this discussion? And why show you the merits of Irish when you have already highlighted that you have no interest in learning Irish.I'm really quite astonished by the argument your putting forth.

later10 wrote: »
    or who even believes quite seriously in Irishness as a valid concept, is someone who could probably do with a sense of humour.
    Sure, catch you at the next St George's day celebraton. :D

later10 wrote: »
    I was with you up until this point.

People who can cause us to laugh at our silly irrational behaviours are some of the most important contributors to social progress that I can think of. And people who think that speaking a certain way, in this case speaking as gaeilge, confers Irishness on an individual, or who even believes quite seriously in Irishness as a valid concept, is someone who could probably do with a sense of humour.

I think you misunderstood my point.

I was talking about the people hating against the language.Its fine to joke about the language itself.People taking the piss out of Des Bishop etc, it all can be funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

realies wrote: »
    Irish is given recognition by the Constitution of Ireland as the national and first official language of the Republic of Ireland (with English being a second official language).

What the dusty old constitution says is one thing (it needs a makeover), but the reality is quite another thing. English is the spoken word of Ireland, English is our 1st tongue in practice, it is in English that we converse in with the rest of the European Union, and it is English that we communicate with the rest of the world, it is also the English language (Not Irish) that we speak to each other . . . . .

English is the 1st language of Ireland (in reality). Irish is a fine language in its own right, but its a niche language 'ala Latin', and its certainly not our 1st language, despite what the 1937 constitution says. Irish should be preserved at all costs, but its not our No:1 language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Your slurs don't even make sense, back to bed you, but wash the sheets first.

I thought the first "slur" as you put was pretty clear and unequivocal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

hondasam wrote: »
    Your choice of words make the English language look so appealing.

At least english is widely spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Primary schools should spend more time teaching maths than Irish.

It is more important that we raise our children to be comfortable with maths, at least. If Ireland wants to innovate and have a smart economy, then we need to understand how important maths is.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0607/1224298497622.html
    In all only about 16 per cent of Leaving Cert students will take higher maths this year – by far the lowest figure for any higher level subject. In contrast, 64 per cent of students took higher level English and 77 per cent took higher level geography last year.

Sort out this maths 'problem' first, then think about bringing back Irish. The only good time to use Irish is around for'ners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Yes I would love to be able to speak Irish.
    It is our language and we should be able to speak it.

Either you're lazy, or you dont really believe what you wrote. Because there's nothing stopping you learning Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

thank god i speak English as my native language, I'm crap at learning languages so i would have been stuck only knowing irish, having to watch TG4 for entertainment :confused:

Advertisement