Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Paul Bunbury - Respectful posts only please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

has anyone checked his creditcard/paypal/bank accounts, facebook/email/boards/forum accounts?

by now he has to have spent money somewhere or there whould surely have something in his email that might show what he was planning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

has anyone checked his creditcard/paypal/bank accounts, facebook/email/boards/forum accounts?
    by now he has to have spent money somewhere or there whould surely have something in his email that might show what he was planning?

Everything has been checked and last I heard bank accounts etc had not been used. All internet stuff has also been checked and analysed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

There will be a search of the Docklands and surrounding areas tomorrow (Saturday) at 1pm. Meet at The Point Luas stop (red line).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm working til three tomorrow but work close enough to the Docklands, so I'll head down that way after work to see if the search is still going on and join in if it is. My thoughts and prayers are with Paul's family at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Lorna123

Yes, an awful lot of luas stops are missing their posters... Maybe over the next few days we could organise a run around the luas and train stations? They may go missing again but might as well try our best!

Just wondered if it is legal to put up posters anywhere you like or do you have to get permission and is this why a lot of the posters have gone missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Lorna123 wrote: »
    Just wondered if it is legal to put up posters anywhere you like or do you have to get permission and is this why a lot of the posters have gone missing.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure. But even if it isn't legal you'd have to be fairly heartless to take down a missing poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭pistonsvox

found a poster on the ground while workin at the o2 this morn, put it back up on a lamp post. was gonna print some off before load out tonight but alas i'm out of ink:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Carri

Attol wrote: »
    There will be a search of the Docklands and surrounding areas tomorrow (Saturday) at 1pm. Meet at The Point Luas stop (red line).

Logged in specifically to post this. Gg on beating me too it.

I've got posters, fliers organised.

If anyone needs contact info for the group pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 damnrain

I do not know Paul but i have been following the facebook page and came across this today. I log on everyday hoping to hear something about him and that he has returned safe.

This sounds all to familiar to me in 2009 for weeks and weeks i felt pressure building inside of me for stupid reasons when i think back now. But i knew i needed to get away without anybody bothering me to get my head straight. So for 11 weeks i saved money without anybody knowing and just went to Dublin i was last seen gettin off the bus and i just got away for 3 and half weeks. I spent my days in the phoenix park and although alot of posters were put out with my photo people did not recognise me when i went into shops i had no eye contact with people and i had dyed my hair really helped. After 2and half weeks i started to feel more relaxed and noticed a poster one day while walking along the street and for a whole week i felt so guilty but eventually walked into a guard station. For years now i have felt so guilty but my family forgave me. I really hope it is the same with Paul and he returns save and sound soon.
    X

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

Hi All,

Not a regular poster but I had some ideas so I said i'd log in.

I'm not from Dublin so if i'm getting any of the locations wrong feel free to correct me!

If the last sighting was by the o2 then would it be possible he went into the Gibson Hotel to use the restrooms or get a tea/coffee in the lobby? Also did someone check with the staff of the Dublin wheel to see if he went on that? If he needed some time out he might have went on it for a bit of peace and quiet.

Doesn't the luas line begin near the docklands again to go across dublin? I know it was mentioned earlier that the cctv footage from the luas/dublin bus was wiped, but if you were to get the time of the sighting and match it with the time the luas took off then maybe some of the shops along the route would have cctv footage of people getting off their stops outside. A long shot I know and probably a last resort as it would be a lot of effort to calculate the time that the luas would stop outside each shop/street on the way.

Also, the idea for a search tomorrow is great, however if Paul is in need of some time out or is just trying to get a break away and is watching this thread from afar then it might be a possibility that he might stay away from the docklands area around the search time? So would it be a good idea to organize some smaller search groups with the details kept secret in order to maximise the opportunity to spot him. I hate for it to come across that i'm suggesting that anyone try to catch Paul out on purpose but it might give a better chance.

Wexlady44, I watched a documentary on TV3 around Christmas time which investigated the homeless in Dublin. Not saying Paul is sleeping rough but it just showed how people could survive in Dublin with no money. Often Churches are very generous with money if a person walks in who is in real need, maybe he might have stopped off at some of the local churches to get some resources to tide him over for food, organized a hostel stay for shelter.

Link here if its any help: http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=50083&locID=1.2.141.&pagename=sport

I know now isn't the time to be watching documentaries but it might trigger ideas for some places that he would have went...

I'm assuming he's in some computer related course if he is a part of DCU Redbrick. I'm a Computer Science graduate myself and I can fully understand how stressful and frustrating that course can be. So many times I struggled.

Mods if you feel I overstepped the mark in anyway here feel free to edit my post. My intention is not to speculate, i'm only trying to bounce some new ideas.

I check this thread and the facebook page a lot during the day hoping that it is good news, my thoughts and prayers are with Paul and his family. I'm sure this will all work out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Arkhitekton

If the last sighting was by the o2 then would it be possible he went into the Gibson Hotel to use the restrooms or get a tea/coffee in the lobby? Also did someone check with the staff of the Dublin wheel to see if he went on that? If he needed some time out he might have went on it for a bit of peace and quiet.

Doesn't the luas line begin near the docklands again to go across dublin? I know it was mentioned earlier that the cctv footage from the luas/dublin bus was wiped, but if you were to get the time of the sighting and match it with the time the luas took off then maybe some of the shops along the route would have cctv footage of people getting off their stops outside. A long shot I know and probably a last resort as it would be a lot of effort to calculate the time that the luas would stop outside each shop/street on the way.

Not saying Paul is sleeping rough but it just showed how people could survive in Dublin with no money. Often Churches are very generous with money if a person walks in who is in real need, maybe he might have stopped off at some of the local churches to get some resources to tide him over for food, organized a hostel stay for shelter.

We asked in the Gibson but can do so again tomorrow while we're down there.
    The wheel is gone.
    The CCTV has been looked at by the gardai. The homeless shelters and that type of thing have been contacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I would just like to add some ideas. Would it be possible he went to Swords or the Airport? as there are express buses from the O2 to both via the Port tunnel.

If it hasn't been done already , Posters should be put up in the Sherrif St. area. The Seabank house pub on East Wall Rd is a favourite local there , along with the Green room bar in the O2. They would good places to put up posters. CastleForbes is another area directly neighbouring where he was last seen.

The Shops on Church Rd in East Wall would be another good place to get the message out to the locals of the area, Who would notice more of the comings and goings of people then the passers through , and may have sighted him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I would just like to add some ideas. Would it be possible he went to Swords or the Airport? as there are express buses from the O2 to both via the Port tunnel.

If it hasn't been done already , Posters should be put up in the Sherrif St. area. The Seabank house pub on East Wall Rd is a favourite local there, , along with the Green room bar in the O2. They would good places to put up posters. CastleForbes is another area directly neighbouring where he was last seen.

He didnt have a valid passport so that rules out the airport.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Ok, well Swords Express bus stops in the Pavilions car-park, that place is riddled with CCTV so if it has not been checked I think it would be a good place to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

You don't need a passport to fly with some airlines (like Aer Lingus). You can just use a driver's license (or some other forms of identity).

You don't need a passport to fly with some airlines (like Aer Lingus). You can just use a driver's license (or some other forms of identity).

I think it depends where you're flying to also.

You can probably fly to United Kingdom without a passport but not sure about anywhere else.

You don't need a passport to fly with some airlines (like Aer Lingus). You can just use a driver's license (or some other forms of identity).[/Quote

i know you don't need a passport with some airlines to fly to England but i no in a lot of missing person cases the guards ask to see details of passengers who used other forms of id as the airlines copy your drivers licence or whatever one you used. I really hope something comes to light soon i can't imagine what his family are going through x

You cannot leave Ireland by plane without a passport.

You can however take a ferry..

Carri wrote: »
    You cannot leave Ireland by plane without a passport.

You can however take a ferry..

you can leave Ireland without passport. When your getting your ticket you have to have a return ticket. It is only allowed between Ireland and the UK with 2 airlines. I no this for sure because i flew to London last Thursday and used my drivers licence because i couldn't find my passport

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hannah2011

Hi all - I have constantly reading this update, in the hope that Paul will be reunited with his family. I've been through a very similar situation, and have been in two minds alot about sharing this with his family- but I feel it may serve to give them hope.
    I took off randomly a couple of years ago - I just had a bit of a brain melt, I hadn't really shared what I was going through with any of my friends or family so they were all naturally very confused when I dropped off the face of the earth. I didn't plan it - I left home one day on my way to work, and somehow found myself getting a boat to England to Chester (without a passport or any ID - but it was several years ago). I came to my senses quite quickly and thought what the flip are you doing, but I was too scared to go back, I was panicking and had no money. I managed to survive for quite some time, it was before facebook, boards and anything else so I had no indiciation of what was happening back home. Eventually I was found - and so relieved. Embarrassed and relieved. Yes I had to deal with alot of awkward questions, and funny looks and whispers but knowing that so many people had been so worried about me and loved me so much was the main message. People quickly forgot about my 'blip' but also it made me realize I needed to share things with people.
    God sorry I'm rambling on here - I know nothing about Paul or his situation, but I just wanted to encourage Pauls family and Paul if he's reading this. I'm not going to lie to you - it is total cringe coming back knowing everyone knows your business - but that fades, very quickly and being back with those you love is so worth it.

Anyway - I'll continue to pray for Pauls safe homecoming and that he is kept safe in the interim. I hope people read this message in the spirit it is intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

Hi all, again like so many others Ive bein following this thread cloesly, & Ive set up a account just to post my words of encouragement. Like Hannah and a few of the other posters, I ran away for a while and lived on the streets of Dublin. It was surprising how little you need to actually survive and if you keep your head down, most people wont even look at you never mind look at you twice. Other people in same shoes as me actually helped me out and thought me the 'street' lifestyle.
    But since this has happened I went back to school, and onto university and now have a respectable job.

With this in mind has anyone thought of getting in contact with soup kitchens/ homeless shelters & check with the staff & users? Just a thought. The message may spread through the network/grape vine of these folk and may eventually get back to Paul that there is so many people out there concerned for him.

Fair to play to everyone that is helping out in any way they can. The family & friends are in the thoughts & prayers of more people than they know. Really hope hes found safe and well, Take care!

damnrain wrote: »
    you can leave Ireland without passport. When your getting your ticket you have to have a return ticket. It is only allowed between Ireland and the UK with 2 airlines. I no this for sure because i flew to London last Thursday and used my drivers licence because i couldn't find my passport

As a travel agent... I'd love to know which airlines allow this. Ryanair changed their rules a few years back. They were the last airline to do so.

Back on topic..

No news to report after today.
    Docklands are postered.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭betting fool

Aerlingus allow travel without a passport but to the uk only.
    The below was taken from their website so might be worth checking out. Also the boats as walk on passenger need no form of ID

Citizens of Ireland and the UK must carry some form of official photo identification. The following forms of photo identification are acceptable:
    Valid Passport
    Drivers licence with photo
    International student card
    National ID card / Government issued photo ID cards
    Health Insurance cards with photo / Social security cards with photo
    Bus pass with photo
    Work ID with photo

Carri wrote: »
    damnrain wrote: »

As a travel agent... I'd love to know which airlines allow this. Ryanair changed their rules a few years back. They were the last airline to do so.

Back on topic..

No news to report after today.
    Docklands are postered.

aer lingus allow this im not been ignorant with you but i was only tryin to help by tellin all no passport was needed no need for your ignorant reply. All travel agents know you can fly without passport to England as that is where i asked

Apologies I stand corrected...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

I've sent out messages from the NUI Galway Computer Society's Facebook and Twitter accounts, including a link to the Redbrick post about Paul.

Also, this may be of no relevance whatsoever, but when searching for the Find Paul Bunbury page on Facebook, I accidentally clicked on Paul's profile and saw that his last post was on the FOSDEM Beer Event page on January 29th, just a few days before he went missing, saying simply, "Not going to Brussels":
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=295268863865394&id=221227064602908

Was Paul originally planning on heading to FOSDEM? Perhaps he cancelled at the last minute? I just thought I should post this in case it meant anything to anyone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Evie90

Hi I haven't read every post so I'm not sure if Paul has any connection to Tipperary ?, but I'll put up a some posters in my area just in case. I'd just like to encourage Paul's family and friends not to lose hope, it's possible that Paul has seen the Facebook and Boards campaigns and the posters and is just too embarrassed/scared to face coming home. I know that I felt like running away to England when I was 18 I even saved money for a couple of weeks to live off of and got a passport before things started looking up and I changed my mind , so Paul may have been planning this for a while have more money than you think he does he also sounds like a very intelligent guy so I'm sure he is capable of hiding/disguising himself very well, so please keep the faith I'm sure he will come home soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Saw this in the herald:
    Meanwhile, the search continues for missing Dublin City University student Paul Bunbury. He was last seen after 4pm on February 2.

CCTV footage shows the 19-year-old student from Tulibards, Bridgetown, Co Wexford, with his long hair, full beard and glasses, entering the Eurospar shop on the Ballymun Road in Dublin.

His apartment on campus has been searched with nothing of significance discovered.

His father Mark said recently: "This is so totally out of character. Paul always stayed in contact. He has always been a very upbeat, positive person. He was the one who would cheer you up if you were down in the dumps. "We are just hoping that he has gone off for whatever reason and that he will turn up safe and well."

I can't stop thinking about Paul. Here's hoping he can come home safely soon. :(:(

Vahevala wrote: »
    Saw this in the herald:

I can't stop thinking about Paul. Here's hoping he can come home safely soon. :(:(

Was this in today's paper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

Eod100 wrote: »
    Was this in today's paper?

Yes, it is :)

Advertisement