Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Kes had her moments but they were few, most of the time she was plain boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So were so many of them, to be fair. Watching through now I don't think she's any more bland or annoying than most of the crew.

The show certainly improved in Season Four and Seven of Nine was a symptom of that improvement. Most of the cast were still pretty dull though.

Such a contrast there with DS9. IMO, even a poor episode of DS9 would invariably include some memorable or enjoyable interaction between characters. Voyager lacked that which made many episodes very forgetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Beefy78 wrote: »
    So were so many of them, to be fair. Watching through now I don't think she's any more bland or annoying than most of the crew.

The show certainly improved in Season Four and Seven of Nine was a symptom of that improvement. Most of the cast were still pretty dull though.

Such a contrast there with DS9. IMO, even a poor episode of DS9 would invariably include some memorable or enjoyable interaction between characters. Voyager lacked that which made many episodes very forgetable.

One hope I had was that some of the crew from the Equinox would take precedence in the following season.

Well..except the 1st officer - his character was ridiculous imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

FGR wrote: »
    Well..except the 1st officer - his character was ridiculous imo.

You mean smokey the smoke monster? Surely not! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kirby wrote: »
    You mean smokey the smoke monster? Surely not! :p

I knew I knew him from somewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A therapist on the bridge of the Enterprise. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The first four seasons of Voyager were quite good (with some really dodgy episodes thrown in for good measure), but it got terrible by the end of the show.

Completely the opposite of both TNG and DS9 which started slow, but both built into fantastic shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The first four seasons of Voyager were quite good (with some really dodgy episodes thrown in for good measure), but it got terrible by the end of the show.

Completely the opposite of both TNG and DS9 which started slow, but both built into fantastic shows.

I have to completely disagree there. I dont like the first 2-3 seasons at all. the whole Maquee thing was a pain, and Kes (see previous posts), Voyager only got good when Seven and the Borg came into it. not to mention the Hirogen and Species 8472.
    Each series has a few dodgy eps, but for the most part I thought Voyager finished strong with one of the best finale's ever.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I thought Voyagers finale started decently, and than just ended. Not even a single scene with Voyager back on Earth. Just flies through the transwarp conduit, followed by a quick chat with Admiral Paris and than it's over.

Come on...7 season for that? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

the whole plot for Voyager was them getting back to Earth. I would loved to have seen them land and be greeted on Earth etc, but in fairness, 7 years is a long time. they probably thought they had better just finish it on a high note. if they did go for another season, sure the crew would have been split up, promoted reassigned etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Kiith wrote: »
    I thought Voyagers finale started decently, and than just ended. Not even a single scene with Voyager back on Earth. Just flies through the transwarp conduit, followed by a quick chat with Admiral Paris and than it's over.

totally agree, i was left sitting there thinking "that's it".

They could have at least have added another 10 minutes of a celebration, meeting of friends and families to round out the 7 years that they were away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

I think it was more "Voyager was about the journey rather than the destination". It's just a pity the journey was boring for the most part.

I also think Voyager was all about the journey...what happened when it got to Earth is outside of what the series was about. Still though, I'd have loved to see more of when they got home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Watching season 1 of TNG and on ep 20. This is the one where they some sort of device attached to Geordi's visor to transmit back to the Enterprise what he was seeing.

I always thought it was weird that they never had live video for away missions. They could record every inch of the ship, view things in detail that were millions of KM away (am I going too far with that?) but they couldn't see anything from an away mission?

Or have I completely missed something here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Watching season 1 of TNG and on ep 20. This is the one where they some sort of device attached to Geordi's visor to transmit back to the Enterprise what he was seeing.

I always thought it was weird that they never had live video for away missions. They could record every inch of the ship, view things in detail that were millions of KM away (am I going too far with that?) but they couldn't see anything from an away mission?

except for that one mission which they conveniently did and used the holo deck to recreate it. The one were Geordi turns into an invisible alien

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That engineering lift on the Enterprise D, so lame!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Kirby wrote: »
    T
    I'm going to create a 500kb file on my computer and hide it somewhere on my hard drive. You are then going to look for it. I'm not going to tell you its name or size or creation date. Just it's function. It pulls on an Omega on my computer and locks it.

The odds of you finding it manually are very, very small because looking for a single file in a system with a hundred thousand files is ridiculous.

piece of cake really...you've given me the size of it so that's a start point straightaway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think you might have completely missed the point .....

A therapist on the bridge of the Enterprise. :pac:

At first it is a bit weird but keep in mind she's able to read peoples emotions giving the captain a little more information then he normally would have.

except for that one mission which they conveniently did and used the holo deck to recreate it. The one were Geordi turns into an invisible alien

Comes under, "can do but not until needed for plot" like the above.
    One that made me ponder his visor was when Riker (Can't remember episode name) was stung by a plant and begun to change, Geordi stood over him discribing what he was seeing to the doctor rather then letting her see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

At first it is a bit weird but keep in mind she's able to read peoples emotions giving the captain a little more information then he normally would have.

It's still a bit odd. I think I just view it that Troi had diplomatic training which they kind of touch upon a few times so maybe she does

It does seem a very anti-trek message though. If your the counselor your normally in your office but if you've got special skills (Troi's empathy and even Ezri's Dax knowledge) you're put on the bridge crew.

Also how strong is Troi's ability? She can sense people on another ship and I think a few times she can sense the away team. Though maybe it's just Riker and their special bond.

Daith wrote: »
    It's still a bit odd. I think I just view it that Troi had diplomatic training which they kind of touch upon a few times so maybe she does

It does seem a very anti-trek message though. If your the counselor your normally in your office but if you've got special skills (Troi's empathy and even Ezri's Dax knowledge) you're put on the bridge crew.

Also how strong is Troi's ability? She can sense people on another ship and I think a few times she can sense the away team. Though maybe it's just Riker and their special bond.

We had a big Troi dfiscussion & the merits of her position on here before I think. Don't forget she was a Lt. Cmdr & then went on to be a full Commander, so she's not 'just' a Councillor. Her abilities would have gained her a bridge crew position too, though that could have just been Picards request. Shes also an accomplished diplomat too. I think she is definitely warranted as having a seat on the bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

EnterNow wrote: »
    We had a big Troi dfiscussion & the merits of her position on here before I think. Don't forget she was a Lt. Cmdr & then went on to be a full Commander, so she's not 'just' a Councillor. Her abilities would have gained her a bridge crew position too, though that could have just been Picards request. Shes also an accomplished diplomat too. I think she is definitely warranted as having a seat on the bridge

I'd agree... Especially with Ent-D, which was predominately a ship on Diplomatic missions. Sure there were moments that the ship had to show her fangs, but the councillor role suited the fluffy family filled ship.

Having her on board the sovereign class Ent -E not so much, but as enter now said, by that stage she was a bridge officer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

EnterNow wrote: »

Troi's Bridge Officer test was such total crap. To pass this, you have to order a holographic Geordi to go and fix something, resulting in his death. Cause that'll be so hard to do, since he's not real :pac:

I understand what it was trying to do, but it's not like someone is going to refuse to order a hologram to do it.

Troi's Bridge Officer test was such total crap. To pass this, you have to order a holographic Geordi to go and fix something, resulting in his death. Cause that'll be so hard to do, since he's not real :pac:

I understand what it was trying to do, but it's not like someone is going to refuse to order a hologram to do it.

That was the only part of the test she had trouble with, Riker even told her she aced all the other sections we didn't see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Look I am happy with her being there, as long as she never drives again.
    Two ships, two crashes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Look I am happy with her being there, as long as she never drives again.
    Two ships, two crashes

given that we're concetrating on the JJ timeline now, i think we're safe from Deanna playing bumper cars with the ship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Data - why does he need to interact with the computer via a terminal like the meat-based crew? Does he not have an ethernet jack or wifi or even bluetooth (visions of Data opening his mouth and one tooth is blue has the little B symbol on it).

Why is there not a Stargate MALP-like object for away missions? Beam it to the away point, get telemetry from it (because sensors never seem to "sense" an ambush), and set up a defensive perimeter/shielded area to beam your team into.

Body armour/personal shields - why not? Beaming to a hostile away mission? Give me a full Iron Man type suit, please.

Fighter shuttles - these would have been soooo useful for some of the battles. Maybe they didn't want to go down the BSG route.

Starfleet is all about exploration, but how much time is spent with border wars, all-out wars and invasions. You'd think that every new ship would have Prometheus tech hidden in it.

Gulliver wrote: »
    Data - why does he need to interact with the computer via a terminal like the meat-based crew? Does he not have an ethernet jack or wifi or even bluetooth (visions of Data opening his mouth and one tooth is blue has the little B symbol on it).

The Enterprise wasn't built with Data in mind. He can be linked up to the computer via a hardline, we've seen that before win Engineering with Geordi etc. As for wireless, I dunno, maybe LCARS just isn't compatible with Data's programming & its just easier for him to use a terminal...you've seen how fast he can input right? ;)
    Why is there not a Stargate MALP-like object for away missions? Beam it to the away point, get telemetry from it (because sensors never seem to "sense" an ambush), and set up a defensive perimeter/shielded area to beam your team into.

Yeah I suppose there should be, but for script/story reasons...it was better to have people in danger rather than safe from behind a viewer.
    Body armour/personal shields - why not? Beaming to a hostile away mission? Give me a full Iron Man type suit, please.

Well the MACO's from ENT looked pretty badass. With armour its a tradeoff with speed & maneuverability so they prob chose to omit it.
    Fighter shuttles - these would have been soooo useful for some of the battles. Maybe they didn't want to go down the BSG route.

Can't really comment on that, I dunno anything about BSG...but in the Trek universe, shuttles arn't really gonna last long against Capitol ships
    Starfleet is all about exploration, but how much time is spent with border wars, all-out wars and invasions. You'd think that every new ship would have Prometheus tech hidden in it.

Border wars went back as far as TOS with the Klingon & Romulan borders.
    TNG dealt with Borg Invasion, one two parter & one movie really
    DS9 had the wormhole & a new enemy. Four seasons of war
    VOY was spend outside of the Federation
    ENT dealt with the invasion arc again, but only two seasons.

Starfleet may be more exploration based, but that doesn't mean that every other race is so inclined ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Gulliver wrote: »

To paraphrase him from First Contact,by utilising the more primitive means of communication he is attempting to become more human.

And as the other poster said, have you seen how fast he can type?

Advertisement