Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

Dunno if this has been mentioned before.... but,

one thing that has always bugged me when watching star trek is when youre watching a scene where officers are beside a window, and the stars arent moving.

like, shouldnt the ship always be drifting even when the engines arent in use?

mabye my understanding of this is flawed??

there have been times too where picard will order the ship jump to warp, and then theres a scene directly after where he is in his ready room and the stars are static. its a minor thing, and happened less in later seasons but it always bugged me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

one thing that has always bugged me when watching star trek is when youre watching a scene where officers are beside a window, and the stars arent moving.

there have been times too where picard will order the ship jump to warp, and then theres a scene directly after where he is in his ready room and the stars are static. its a minor thing, and happened less in later seasons but it always bugged me!

They made a slightly better job of this on Voyager where they would CG the stars zipping by.

But the shuttle windows weren't done with CGI but rather by a black screen with dots on a conveyor belt. They moved really, really slowly in the background. It worked well when the shuttle was at impulse in a straight line but then it would cut to the shuttle doing evasive maneuvres and it looked ridiculous :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As in the ship is stationary in space? Sure its possible, once your in deep space & not affected by gravity...its possible to 'stop' relative to star position I suppose.

Then that's a gaf indeed, I find myself noticing more or more of this kinda stuff lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Never really thought about the stars but thinking back there are a few times when they're static while the Enterprise is at warp, I have a funny feeling I've seen it once in Ten Forward as well.

Enterprise actually had a little thing about the stars moving, Hoshi wanted to change her quarters to the other side of the ship due to the stars going the opposite way she was accustomed to.

EnterNow wrote: »
    As in the ship is stationary in space? Sure its possible, once your in deep space & not affected by gravity...its possible to 'stop' relative to star position I suppose.

Then that's a gaf indeed, I find myself noticing more or more of this kinda stuff lately.

yeah, youre prob right about the lack of gravity, as i said i wasnt sure.

i honestly think they should correct irregularities on the blu rays such as static stars when the ships at warp but they probably wont :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Enterprise actually had a little thing about the stars moving, Hoshi wanted to change her quarters to the other side of the ship due to the stars going the opposite way she was accustomed to.

I never got that. Surely whichever side of the ship you are on they travel the same way. From the front of the porthole to the back.

that's like saying the road goes backwards if you look out one side of a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

Alot of this is really knitpicking though! It doesnt fully have to make sense though its a fictional programme!

davidlacey wrote: »
    Alot of this is really knitpicking though! It doesnt fully have to make sense though its a fictional programme!

A Trekker wears a STARFLEET uniform to a convention because its fun…
    A Trekkie wears a uniform to a convention because s/he has heard that it is in style at the academy.

A Trekker has a STARFLEET Academy window sticker on his car…
    A Trekkie is cramming for the entrance exams.

A Trekker thinks Wil Wheaton was a lucky kid who got to play a kid on Star Trek…
    A Trekkie thinks that Wesley Crusher was a lucky kid who got to sit on the bridge.

A Trekker thinks that it is a shame that the show is coming to an end…
    A Trekkie thinks that it is a shame that the crew is being reassigned and the Enterprise is being decommissioned.

A Trekker knows that there are gaping holes in the technology, but ignores them and enjoys the show…
    A Trekkie can't wait for the price to come down on those home food replicator units.

:-) Im not the kind of star trek fan to try and differentiate between different levels of fandom, knowing deep down its just a tv show.

that said, i secretly hoped id be beamed away from my ****ty life as a nerdy teen, and even sometimes still do!

thats part of what makes star trek so fun, its such an all encompasssing universe, it makes you wish it were actually real...

thats why we nitpick. because so much detail and effort has been expended in making this such a real universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

We're not really criticising the show. Everyone here regards it as one of if not the greatest creations to ever grace the small screen. All the holes in the universe won't alter any of our opinions, love or respect for the show. All these "things that don't make sense" we tease Star Trek about for fun aren't what make the shows great.

Still though, things must progress and a lot of the well observed points here, as well as making interesting reading, gives us a lot of well considered thoughts with which to ponder where the Star Trek that is yet to come could lead us.

I never got that. Surely whichever side of the ship you are on they travel the same way. From the front of the porthole to the back.

that's like saying the road goes backwards if you look out one side of a car.

It would be a left to right or right to left thing, depending on what side of the ship your on. If your on Port side the stars should be going from right to left and starboard they should be going from left to right, this is if your standing and looking out each window.

• Advertisement

It would be a left to right or right to left thing, depending on what side of the ship your on. If your on Port side the stars should be going from right to left and starboard they should be going from left to right, this is if your standing and looking out each window.

I get that but why would they be the wrong way? The only reason I can think of it as a valid point was if her last cabin was a long term one on whatever side, long enough to get used to and the new one is the opposite and wrong but Hoshi never had an extended tour previous to enterprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Apparently this does not make sense. But I still believe. They used a piece of bamboo, but the alien bamboo like tree's on the alien world are as strong as steel. I'm surprised no one brought that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I get that but why would they be the wrong way? The only reason I can think of it as a valid point was if her last cabin was a long term one on whatever side, long enough to get used to and the new one is the opposite and wrong but Hoshi never had an extended tour previous to enterprise...

Is it not similar to some people not liking sitting the 'wrong' way on trains? It probably doesn't make sense, it's just a neurosis.

I always felt when Hoshi said the 'wrong way', it was just a personal thing for her. The left to right & right to left analogy is how I understood it also

I can't remember if she mentioned being stationed on another ship but I would have thought she had, if she had then she might have gotten used to the stars.

Keep in mind this is Hoshi, space sickness, claustrophobia and anxiety were just a few things the show added to her character.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    it's just a neurosis.

plenty of that around al-right :D:D

Found a good one myself.

Go to 4:09 of the video.

You'll see the USS Valiant appearing in a task force.

The USS Valiant was destroyed in an episode of DS9.

It would have an A after it if it was a rebuild and it does not.

How does the ship appear in a task force 3 years after it was destroyed?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Valiant (NCC-74210) was destroyed in DS9. The Valiant (NCC-75418) was the ship we saw waiting with the fleet in Nemesis. I guess it was rebuilt or renamed (ala the Defiant).

Either that, or they just hoped we wouldn't notice the names :pac:

Names would just get constantly re-used I'm sure. Intrepid was also in that group, a name that's been used many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

On my phone so can not see clearly but it would only have an "A" if it had the same registry number. It had also been missing for some time prior to Jake and Nog finding it. So enough time passed to have a new ship commissioned with same name

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Plus, after having the last one destroyed by a bunch of dicks, they probably figured it deserved a 2nd chance.

Kiith wrote: »
    The Valiant (NCC-74210) was destroyed in DS9. The Valiant (NCC-75418) was the ship we saw waiting with the fleet in Nemesis. I guess it was rebuilt or renamed (ala the Defiant).

Either that, or they just hoped we wouldn't notice the names :pac:

I suppose you have a point there.

But I think they may have just thought we might not notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

There might have been some documents on the issue but I think EnterNow might be right on the situation being classified, if you think about it the episode was done very well not to allow for time screw ups.

Courtesy of Cannon Fodder

April 3rd-4th, 2063 - A Borg sphere from the year 2373 travels back through time to this point in history to try and stop Zephram Cochrane's warp flight and prevent humanity's first contact with life forms from another planet. The sphere manages to fire a few volleys at Cochrane's complex in central Montana but the sphere is destroyed by the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E which followed them back through their temporal incursion. Several large peices of debris from the sphere fall to Earth and crash in the artic. 2 drones survive intact but are unable to reactivate themselves. The warp flight is a success thanks to the help of the Enterprise's crew and Earth makes first contact with the Vulcans. The Enterprise returns to the 24th century.

2067 - While visiting Princeton University Zephram Cochrane begins telling stories about what really happened during first contact involving the cybernetic creatures and a group of humans from the future. He even mentions it during a commencement address. He later recants the story (thanks to Lily Sloan's efforts) but it remains an urban legend among Cochrane's admirers.

2152 - A glacier recedes in the arctic reveiling the debris from the Borg sphere that was destroyed in 2063 and is detected by orbiting satellites. A starleet official who is also a member of the then fledgling section 31 suspects a security risk he orders a scientific survey team to investigate. The scientists find the frozen remains of 2 borg drones and examine them taking some scans and photographs that are sent back to starfleet. Thawed out, the Drones are able to reactivate and assimilate the survey team and their transport vessel. After having collected the debris they leave Earth on a course for Borg space. Starleet detects the transport leaving Earth's atmosphere and send a team to the crash site to investigate. They discover the debris, and scientists missing. The Enterprise NX-01 is alerted to the transport's position and is ordered to intercept it. The assimilated transport attacks a Tarkalean freighter and manages to assimilate its entire crew. 2 Tarkaleans are rescued by the NX-01 but they escape from the sickbay and try to sabotage the ship. They are stopped but the ship's Denobulan doctor Phlox is partially assimilated. The Enterprise is unfortunetly forced to destroy the transport with all hands but not before it transmits a subspace signal to Borg space. Dr Phlox manages to stop the assimilation process and informs Captain Archer of the transmission. Science officer T'Pol notes that any transmission would take nearly 200 hundred years to reach the Delta Quadrant Archer states that they've only put off the invasion til the 24th century. The Section 31 official has all information on the incident classified for the time being.

2289 - The U.S.S. Avenger NCC-1854 intercepts a small fleet of ships belonging to the El-Aurians who are seeking refuge in the Federation. The El-Aurians tell stories of how their homeworld was destroyed by a species calling themselves the Borg. The descriptions of the attackers make their way to several high ranking officials of Section 31. The officials note the similarities between the El-Aurian attackers and the creatures encountered in 2152. Secret research is started on the Borg threat.

2350 - Realizing that the transmission from 2152 would soon be reaching its target a starfleet captain named J.P. Hanson also in the service of Section 31 gave all pertinent information on the Borg to his son exobiologist Magnus Hanson in hopes of finding a defense.

2351 - The Borg detect a severly fragmented subspace transmission originating from somewhere on the far edge of the galaxy near the border between the Alpha and Beta Quadrants. A cube is dispatched to investigate.

TNG, The Minds Eye.

Geordi & Data are testing a fake Federation Rifle right beside the warp core of a Galaxy Class ship :p

Also, I watched the brilliant Redemption two parter last night. O'Brien is wearing Lieutenant pips :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Also, I watched the brilliant Redemption two parter last night. O'Brien is wearing Lieutenant pips :confused:

This is for me one of the my inconsistency bug bears through out all of ST

I mean in some TNG eps he's a Lt in others he's enlisted, make up your mind Mo'Fos!!
    Also in the ep with the rogue captain it actually says he was promoted to a LT

In DS9 he'd Chief i mean, he could have been Lt O'Brien Chief of Ops and they could still have called him Chief, but instead he was a Chief Petty Officer of Ops.. pretty lame imo!

This is for me one of the my inconsistency bug bears through out all of ST

I mean in some TNG eps he's a Lt in others he's enlisted, make up your mind Mo'Fos!!
    Also in the ep with the rogue captain it actually says he was promoted to a LT

In DS9 he'd Chief i mean, he could have been Lt O'Brien Chief of Ops and they could still have called him Chief, but instead he was a Chief Petty Officer of Ops.. pretty lame imo!

Agreed. I just think in the early days they didn't know what to do with him. Then in Ds9, it kinda fit in with his persona that he was a non-com. I think in late TNG he was referred to as chief too wasn't he?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agreed. I just think in the early days they didn't know what to do with him. Then in Ds9, it kinda fit in with his persona that he was a non-com. I think in late TNG he was referred to as chief too wasn't he?

Yep but i'm sure there was at least 1 ep were they called him chief in once scene and he had LT pips on and then later he was in scene and had the chevrons on, Hollywood.. always keeping a good Irish man down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's the same with Tuvok in Voyager, in Season 1 and 2 he shifts from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander. Then in season 3 he gets a promotion to Lieutenant Commander.

Maybe he was wearing the extra pip in season 1 and 2 for the laugh.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's the same with Tuvok in Voyager, in Season 1 and 2 he shifts from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander. Then in season 3 he gets a promotion to Lieutenant Commander.

Maybe he was wearing the extra pip in season 1 and 2 for the laugh.

Wasnt a huge Tuvok fan so wanst too bothered tbh :)

However i think what it was to do with was so he wasnt seen as a rival to Chakotay

• Advertisement

I assumed that was to do with him being head of transporter ops at that stage?
    Chief if transporter operations as such?

Advertisement