Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Presumably he would have entered his new access code and it would have given him the info needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Presumably he would have entered his new access code and it would have given him the info needed

But Captains & Flag officers get briefed on Omega before there's any incident, it's no good briefing an acting Captain if there's quick decisions to be made. Tuvok had no knowledge of Omega at all when Voyager detected it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

EnterNow wrote: »
    But Captains & Flag officers get briefed on Omega before there's any incident, it's no good briefing an acting Captain if there's quick decisions to be made. Tuvok had no knowledge of Omega at all when Voyager detected it

I'm kind of surprised they didn't just have a dedicated frequency just for that purpose, and a starship that detected it would attempt to transmit the threat information to Starfleet automatically.

I'd say that was just Starfleet's poor planning, it didn't register with Starfleet that encountering the particle would be possible outside the Alpha or Beta quadrants. If they knew of the Borg's interest in it, it would be likely that their planning would have been much more thorough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

There was something in that Omega episode about the Captain having to contact Starfleet straight away so it might be that acting Captains are not privy to such high level information as Starfleet rather not run the risk of the information passing into hostile hands.

There was something in that Omega episode about the Captain having to contact Starfleet straight away so it might be that acting Captains are not privy to such high level information as Starfleet rather not run the risk of the information passing into hostile hands.

Yeah Janeway mentioned that 'if this were the Alpha Quadrant, I'd be in direct communication with Starfleet who would be sending a dedicated team to deal with the matter' or something along those lines.

It still doesn't explain why the first officer shouldn't be made aware of it, incase the Captain is incapacitated or not on the ship. If this were the case & a captain were lying in sick bay in a coma & the particle was detected, the Omega symbol would pop up on all the bridge monitors, & nobody would have a clue how to proceed...including the XO. In such a case, the XO wouldn't have clearance to find out through the computer what was going on, & wouldn't be able to alert Starfleet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It doesn't make sense for the whole ship to shut down and lock the computers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense for the whole ship to shut down and lock the computers either.

Reminds me of DS9 crews reaction to Section 31, something that secretive and dangerous could exist within Starfleet, thinking along the same lines Starfleet could have a similar standing as other races do on their troops, sort it or you don't return.

There is the possibility it's just written badly.
    Thinking back the Omega story does feature in Armada, can't remember to what extent but I recall towing it through space.

And to think, no-one ever found this program ever? A program that locks the computer, shuts the engines down is never once discovered by anyone? I liked the episode, Seven making her own Borg collective and demoting Harry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

And to think, no-one ever found this program ever? A program that locks the computer, shuts the engines down is never once discovered by anyone? I liked the episode, Seven making her own Borg collective and demoting Harry :D

They never found it coz it was made up for this ep :D. But lets get all nerdy and figure out why they didn't in the confines of the the show.

I'm going to create a 500kb file on my computer and hide it somewhere on my hard drive. You are then going to look for it. I'm not going to tell you its name or size or creation date. Just it's function. It pulls on an Omega on my computer and locks it.

The odds of you finding it manually are very, very small because looking for a single file in a system with a hundred thousand files is ridiculous. It could be an executable, but it might not be. It could be a batch file or a virus hidden inside any number of extensions. You simply don't know how to narrow down your search. Needle in a haystack? It's like searching for a needle within a bunch of other needles.

Now my hard drive is only 2 tb. A starship's computer would probably be several thousands times larger. So if you can't find that file on my PC after I told you to look for it, what are the odds of stumbling accross it when you don't even know to look?

The fact that the Omega directive can shut the engines down and lock the ships consoles doesn't mean it's large. Guild Wars is 16 gigs but my virus file can bugger the machine with a few KB. Power doesn't equal size.

As I said, nobody finding it before is a plot contrivance.....but it's a logical one. It was the same with Seska's modified holodeck program going unnoticed for several seasons. Logically, Tuvok never found it because he had no reason to look for it.

This happens every time I do a Voyager run through, but why is it, that when your a certain way in...say around season 3 onwards...Voyager starts to become.....good? Yes it gets slated, yes it can almost break canon at times, yes it has many, many, many flaws...but every single time I do a full run through, this happens. I get to actually like it & enjoy it. Just finished watching Season 5 - Course Oblivion, fine episode!

There, I said it.
    /thread :o

• Advertisement

I enjoy Voyager, it frustrates me though. TNG and DS9 are miles better.

I enjoy Voyager, it frustrates me though. TNG and DS9 are miles better.

I agree, but yes VOY becomes strangely good to watch. Well you still have to be careful, right after course oblivion is the Chakotay boxing episode. I skip completely by it. But when Voyager is good, its good...when its bad, its dreadful.

It nearly killed me to start this run through, the thoughts of watching a very early & eager Kes and Neelix was almost too much to bare, I nearly gave up part way through season 1. But I'm really glad I didn't now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I know what does not make sense

The last few posts from EnterNow. This poster needs a treatment of DS9 STAT

I know what does not make sense

The last few posts from EnterNow. This poster needs a treatment of DS9 STAT

Lol, thats why I posted it in this thread :D

I finished a DS9 run through over the summer there, without a doubt my favourite of all the Trek's. I did ENT before that, another thoroughly enjoyable show, it gets lambasted but if people actually gave it a chance, its actually very good they'd see!

Its been a while since I done a TNG run through, tbh I'm just too familiar with it. I grew up through my early teens watching it end on end, I know the episodes back to front so I need to give that a good bit more time. I could do TOS next, but, I dunno...still not in a TOS place at the mo.

I'm fairly sure the next on my list for a run through is SG-1, so I'll be saying bye bye to this forum for a while at that stage :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

don't worry, it's just your standards lowering.

don't worry, it's just your standards lowering.

It may just be that :D

But yeah, between season 3 & where I am now part way through season 5...there's been some enjoyable episodes.

Seven of Nine really saved Voyager. One of the few characters I liked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I wonder why :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm slugging my way through Season Two of Voyager at the moment because in the back of my mind I felt sure that the show improves later on. There won't be many episodes (Scorpion.... and actually that's about it) that I've ever seen more than once so I'm looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

This happens every time I do a Voyager run through, but why is it, that when your a certain way in...say around season 3 onwards...Voyager starts to become.....good? Yes it gets slated, yes it can almost break canon at times, yes it has many, many, many flaws...but every single time I do a full run through, this happens. I get to actually like it & enjoy it. Just finished watching Season 5 - Course Oblivion, fine episode!

There, I said it.
    /thread :o

That's it. I'm PMing EnterNow and requesting that you be banned! :D

Voy had a few good episodes..but I can't say I'd manage to watch a box set of it.

• Advertisement

Voyager was a great show. It gets undeserved flak. It has some horrible episodes but so does DS9 and TNG so that shouldn't be a reason to destroy it.

The amount of horrible, or just plain average, are far higher than either DS9 or TNG though. And the characters are much worse. Obviously imo, but i just never think of it in nearly the same regard as the other series.

This. And not for the reasons you filthy minded people think, to remove Kes & replace her with Seven completely changed the show & really improved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

This. And not for the reasons you filthy minded people think, to remove Kes & replace her with Seven completely changed the show & really improved it.

Absolutely!! Especially in great episodes like One, Infinite Regress and Drone to name but a few!

No, it made it the 7of9 show. Basically a savage looking Spock/Data clone.
    Let's all watch her struggle to interact with an emotional human crew. Let's watch as she tries to gain humanity, through emotional heartfilled episodes.

Erugh:mad:

No, it made it the 7of9 show. Basically a savage looking Spock/Data clone.
    Let's all watch her struggle to interact with an emotional human crew. Let's watch as she tries to gain humanity, through emotional heartfilled episodes.

Erugh:mad:

That or Kes' exploration of her Okampan heritage & 7 year lifespan? I know what I'd pick.

Yeah, neither.
    The Doctor was enough in relation to the non human perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I love the relationship between the Doc and Seven. Think about it, here's a hologram trying to teach a Borg how to be more human. it made for some hilarious (and very cringe worthy) episodes. :D

I didn't like Kes.

Until she got long hair. Than i liked Kes :P

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    I didn't like Kes.

Until she got long hair. Than i liked Kes :P

Bland character for sure, but she did have quite a sexy voice to be fair. If the whole acting this didn't work out (which it didn't), she had a fallback career as one of the phone sex operators. :p

Advertisement