Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That just doesn't make sense!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Wow just looking at prices on Ebay of Armada 2... fcuk me its expensive!

This is one of the few times over the past few days that i'm actually GLAD i bank with Ulster Bank!!

How much? Is there a mod that makes it playable on an xp platform?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Ranges from 40 quid up to 100!
    I used it on Vista previously without issue

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Prices on Amazon.com are absolutely insane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

gatecrash wrote: »
    This is one of the few times over the past few days that i'm actually GLAD i bank with Ulster Bank!!

How much? Is there a mod that makes it playable on an xp platform?

Playable out of the box on XP and I have had no issues with it on Windows 7 either

Playable out of the box on XP and I have had no issues with it on Windows 7 either

Damn.....now i want it!!! :p

• Advertisement

Damn.....now i want it!!! :p

Download Buy for $100 on ebay!!

Download Buy for $100 on ebay!!

Thankfully Ulster bank's IT guys saw this coming and fecked up their systems to prevent me spending money!! :p

Then when you obtain it, mod the crap out of it for online skirmish battles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Prices on Amazon.com are absolutely insane

You can pick it up on Amazon.de for €17 before shipping or $90 on Amazon.com before shipping, prices are all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why in "Little Green Men", can the humans suddenly understand the Ferengi language when the three Ferengi fix their own personal translators which are embedded in the ear canal?

Watched it last night & it struck me. Also, why when Odo changes from a dog to himself in the interrogation room...did nobody behind the mirror notice him? Surely the three Ferengi would have been being observed the whole time?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Why in "Little Green Men", can the humans suddenly understand the Ferengi language when the three Ferengi fix their own personal translators which are embedded in the ear canal?

Watched it last night & it struck me. Also, why when Odo changes from a dog to himself in the interrogation room...did nobody behind the mirror notice him? Surely the three Ferengi would have been being observed the whole time?

My guess on the translators is it translates both ways, wouldn't explain why it's in the ear but would explain why the language barrier is removed on both sides.

Odo bit had me wondering too, the three Ferengi would have been under constant security and the security guards would have also noticed the presence of this random guard dog. It went together to easily given the area it was set in.

My guess on the translators is it translates both ways, wouldn't explain why it's in the ear but would explain why the language barrier is removed on both sides

Yeah I can't see it working both ways like that, how could something thats in an aliens ear affect how you hear whats coming out of their mouth? :confused:

Just a little quirk I suppose, isn't the UT also in combadges?

Yes, makes a little more sense that way considering it could be translating in to the required language but being a TV series the viewer only hears English.

Then when you obtain it, mod the crap out of it for online skirmish battles

is thetre still an online community for that game??

is thetre still an online community for that game??

Hell yeah. Google the mods, they completely adapted the game adding new ships and balancing the play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah I can't see it working both ways like that, how could something thats in an aliens ear affect how you hear whats coming out of their mouth? :confused:

The UT makes no sense. I gave up trying to figure out how it worked years ago. The instances which I always got hung up on as a kid were where Worf or another alien would say something in their own language and we'd hear it in Klingon or whatever. Surely the UT would translate "Ka'plah" into its English equivilient?

The UT is just something that you have to accept as a sacrifice of believability in order to produce a watchable television show. Might as well be a babel fish.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The UT is just something that you have to accept as a sacrifice of believability in order to produce a watchable television show.

Spot on

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The UT makes no sense. I gave up trying to figure out how it worked years ago. The instances which I always got hung up on as a kid were where Worf or another alien would say something in their own language and we'd hear it in Klingon or whatever. Surely the UT would translate "Ka'plah" into its English equivilient?

The UT is just something that you have to accept as a sacrifice of believability in order to produce a watchable television show. Might as well be a babel fish.

Exactly and at least they give some reason for everyone understanding each other.

Look at Stargate, for example, where every race (barring the people on Abydos) speaks Modern English, even those in the Pegasus Galaxy!
    I can not remember any explination for this.

Look at Stargate, for example, where every race (barring the people on Abydos) speaks Modern English, even those in the Pegasus Galaxy!
    I can not remember any explination for this.

It didn't meed to explain it, the sheer awesomeness of Stargate was more than enough :p

It didn't meed to explain it, the sheer awesomeness of Stargate was more than enough :p

Get out of it, Stargate was great but come one.

Only Earth put its stargate in a military complex and guarded it.
    Aliens could not hit the broad side of a barn and their ships were as bad.
    Everyone spoke english.
    Samantha Carter
    Never seeing the Furlings!!
    How ancient Egyptians were able to scare away Ra.
    How they "forgot" about Earth yet managed to have humans from celtic and more modern cultures, than ancient Egypt.

I loved the show but there was always annoyances

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Never seeing the Furlongs!!
    But we did see them :cool:

Kiith wrote: »

That was from the episode 200?, the whole episode was a parody of sorts so the critters shown were a play on them being similar to Ewoks.

Kiith wrote: »
    But we did see them :cool:

heh heh heh

Oh and it's Furlings not Furlongs the difference being...distant ;)

Get out of it, Stargate was great but come one.

Only Earth put its stargate in a military complex and guarded it.
    Aliens could not hit the broad side of a barn and their ships were as bad.
    Everyone spoke english.
    Samantha Carter
    Never seeing the Furlongs!!
    How ancient Egyptians were able to scare away Ra.
    How they "forgot" about Earth yet managed to have humans from celtic and more modern cultures, than ancient Egypt.

I loved the show but there was always annoyances

Lol, do you seriously want to get into a debate about Trek's annoyances? Lifelong Trek fan here, must be watching it the guts of fifteen years. Seen every episode of every series more than once [I still qualify for that line :o:p]. seen all the movies multiple times & know the franchise inside out backwards & upside down.

Just over a year ago, after watching the Stargate movie [the original], I decided to watch the series to see how it continued the story. My god was I blown away, it is utterly brilliant & granted maybe because it was so fresh & new, but the whole series for me blew Trek away. Am dying to do another run through of all three series, but I've a few other shows to get through first.

Played some Armada last night... man it was awesome!!!!

Played some Armada last night... man it was awesome!!!!

IF, i had (ahem) 'obtained' a copy of that game, and IF i was playing it until 1:30 this morning then i'd be tempted to agree with you... ;):D

IF, i had (ahem) 'obtained' a copy of that game, and IF i was playing it until 1:30 this morning then i'd be tempted to agree with you... ;):D

To be fair, the only times that I agree in "obtaining" a copy of a game is when you can not buy it. This game is out of print and not available to download on steam/amazon/gamefly/etc.
    Technically you are not allowed to buy a copy second hand either so damned if you do and damned if you don't.

the single player is quite good, if limited. The skirmish is very bland, as all the ships are the same across the races more or less. Get the fleet operations build mod and thank me later

Lol, do you seriously want to get into a debate about Trek's annoyances? Lifelong Trek fan here, must be watching it the guts of fifteen years. Seen every episode of every series more than once [I still qualify for that line :o:p]. seen all the movies multiple times & know the franchise inside out backwards & upside down.

Just over a year ago, after watching the Stargate movie [the original], I decided to watch the series to see how it continued the story. My god was I blown away, it is utterly brilliant & granted maybe because it was so fresh & new, but the whole series for me blew Trek away. Am dying to do another run through of all three series, but I've a few other shows to get through first.

O'Neill and Jackson had great chemistry, in the series, but hell is Carter did not annoy me. She was deus ex machina personified, an obsolute super genius that was a soldier and, least you forget, a woman. Also such a frikken holier than though goody two shoes.

I also know that it was budget constraints but come on, something that allowed weapons/soldiers to be sent through kept in an open field guarded (if lucky) by 5 guys.
    Earth puts it under a mountain, sitting on a nuke, covered by an iris and defended by highly trained soldiers.

I have seen all the Stargate episodes multiple times (thank you Sky repeating 1) and it was not until I watched the first few seasons after seeing that later ones that got annoyed at it

• Advertisement

To be fair, the only times that I agree in "obtaining" a copy of a game is when you can not buy it. This game is out of print and not available to download on steam/amazon/gamefly/etc.
    Technically you are not allowed to buy a copy second hand either so damned if you do and damned if you don't.

the single player is quite good, if limited. The skirmish is very bland, as all the ships are the same across the races more or less. Get the fleet operations build mod and thank me later

Well i had an original copy that got misplaced back when my win98 box finally kicked the bucket, boutgh a copy off amazon that would not load, so strictly speaking, this is actually an online back up!!!

Advertisement