Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rc28 wrote: »
    If you're talking about the Irish farming forecast on RTE that's not true at all. There was no hint of it getting milder towards next weekend, the opposite in fact.

I was talking about both forecasts and merging them together as thats what I think will happen:) But the main thing is both forecasts are going for no snow so doesnt matter which one works out really. All I want to see is snow and lots of it! But i'll take cold, dry, sunny days over mild atlantic wet muck any day of the week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Maybe I was watching a different forecast to yourself, But she didnt mention it getting milder next weekend, it was the opposite getting colder, but that is just to far out at the moment anything could happen.

It's the bbc thats showing milder for Ireland next weekend, not RTE. Anyway thats all a week away and things will propably work out differently to the forecasts we've seen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Gonzo wrote: »
    It's the bbc thats showing milder for Ireland next weekend, not RTE. Anyway thats all a week away and things will propably work out differently to the forecasts we've seen today.

Your are right there they have changed their 30 day outlook, Something like the GFS is showing today, and Met Eireann are going by the ECM which looks a lot better, Talk about wild swings with the GFS:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayfly757

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

True.

Liam Dutton has already posted the following in his blog :

"After milder air temporarily moving into western areas for today and tomorrow, by midweek the colder air will return to all parts of the UK."

Thats broadly in line with what Siobhan was saying at lunchtime except it's uncertain where the high pressure will be aligned.

Ifear,even if we do get an easterly,it will end up weak because of that high pressure being too close and obviously no showers as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

We could do with 4/5 days of hard frosts,then if anything comes from the west we might get some of the white stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Thats a decent forecast and siobhan is a bit of a hottie;)

latest ukmo 30 day outlook for the first time in a few weeks suggests less cold weather with westerlies will win out in the UK which meand we're gonners for snowstorms here now probably untill next december.

UK Outlook for Friday 10 Feb 2012 to Sunday 19 Feb 2012:

A northwest-southeast split is likely across the UK for much of the period through to mid-February. Southern, central and eastern areas should be largely dry and bright, but often cold or very cold with hard overnight frosts and some freezing fog patches. Further north and west conditions should be often less cold but windier, with bands of rain becoming slow-moving, giving snow on their forward edge and more generally over higher ground. Into the second weekend there are some signs that unsettled conditions further northwest could extend further south and east with a risk of more widespread snow, most likely across central and eastern areas of the UK, but confidence does remain quite low at this stage in the southeastward extent of any wintry weather.

UK Outlook for Monday 20 Feb 2012 to Monday 5 Mar 2012:

Though starting off cold, mainly across southeastern Britain, there looks to be a gradual trend to less cold and more changeable conditions in many areas, with temperatures by day and night closer to average. That said, being late February/early March, there is still a risk of overnight frost, especially through any quieter interludes. Further snow cannot be ruled out during any transition to milder conditions. By the end of the period however, rainfall, especially across southern areas looks to be above average. Sunshine amounts also look to remain around normal.
    Updated: 1158 on Sun 5 Feb 2012

blackius wrote: »
    latest ukmo 30 day outlook for the first time in a few weeks suggests less cold weather with westerlies will win out in the UK which meand we're gonners for snowstorms here now probably untill next december.

A northwest-southeast split is likely across the UK for much of the period through to mid-February. Southern, central and eastern areas should be largely dry and bright, but often cold or very cold with hard overnight frosts and some freezing fog patches. Further north and west conditions should be often less cold but windier, with bands of rain becoming slow-moving, giving snow on their forward edge and more generally over higher ground. Into the second weekend there are some signs that unsettled conditions further northwest could extend further south and east with a risk of more widespread snow, most likely across central and eastern areas of the UK, but confidence does remain quite low at this stage in the southeastward extent of any wintry weather.

Though starting off cold, mainly across southeastern Britain, there looks to be a gradual trend to less cold and more changeable conditions in many areas, with temperatures by day and night closer to average. That said, being late February/early March, there is still a risk of overnight frost, especially through any quieter interludes. Further snow cannot be ruled out during any transition to milder conditions. By the end of the period however, rainfall, especially across southern areas looks to be above average. Sunshine amounts also look to remain around normal.

Whats the bets this will change again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Correct but just recently they were predicting that february march and april temperatures would be below normal. those predictions change all the time. Lets enjoy the present

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

For people worried that it's getting too late to see snow, Here's a post i made in the pictures thread back in 2008 on the 7th of april

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55604012&postcount=17

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

baraca wrote: »
    For people worried that it's getting too late to see snow, Here's a post i made in the pictures thread back in 2008 on the 7th of april

How long did it last ?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

baraca wrote: »

did it stick around all day baraca ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

How long did it last ?
    NIALL D wrote: »
    did it stick around all day baraca ??

For the life of me i can't remember, It was still around at 1 anyway because i had a match that day and it was cancelled.

Here's the chart for the day, Chilly.

ogaw78.png

The best I can offer for reassurance that winter is not over yet, is back in 1986 we had a 10 minute snow shower here in Co. Meath around the 2nd week of June! I remember this clearly because I was in 6th class then and it was only a week or 2 to the primary school summer holidays and I remember everybody in the class and the teacher being speechless when the snow flakes came down, from what I remember it was around 10am as we were only in the classroom about 40 minutes by that stage.

Edit**
    I looked up charts and theres nothing too cold around June that year, I was 12 back then so things are hazy, however I think it may have happened middle of May which is still very late for snow in Ireland!

http://www2.wetter3.de/Archiv/GFS/1986051400_1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Maybe I was watching a different forecast to yourself, But she didnt mention it getting milder next weekend, it was the opposite getting colder, but that is just to far out at the moment anything could happen.

Colder for the UK, Not Ireland.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I hate when it reaches the point of winter where people are pointing out that it can still snow in April or May, because it rarely does and lets face it, once we pass February the chances of anything decent really drops off - I for one am not arsed with a morning of snow in April that causes a bit of a wet slush mess for a couple of hours... well, I'd take it suppose :pac:

And to make matters worse, it is so bloody painful to watch parts of the UK getting hit over the weekend and to have been reading the build up to it all on the UK forums only to get nothing here - it really reminds me of being a kid and watching news reports of heavy UK snow and being filled with jealousy :( Amazing the difference being that bit further west and the poxy Atlantic makes...

I think this winter more than any in the last 7 or so (since I joined boards as it was snow that lead me here!) I've been glued to updates here and on NW, any opportunity during the day I'd check on my phone or computer to see whats happening - definitely having experienced what we did the last 2 years gave me renewed hope for seeing decent winter weather in Ireland and it really is a crappy feeling to be approaching the end of winter and the chances looking less and less likely. Trouble is, I'll be back next winter for more - 1982 has made me chase severe snow ever since!

Anyway, rant over... glad to have got that off my chest, my family are sick of listening to me so I may as well say it here too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Edit**
    I looked up charts and theres nothing too cold around June that year, I was 12 back then so things are hazy

http://www2.wetter3.de/Archiv/GFS/1986051400_1.gif

1986 was a very hazy year! :)

Not sure about the snow in May or June but would not be surprised. 1986 for me rates as the best year for weather. Some very extreme events occurred that year. The sustained cold easterlies of Feb; coldest April on record with frequent snowfalls; the frequent and incredibly violent thunderstorms of June as well as 'hurricane' Charley in August.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Thursday, Friday, Weekend: Dry and settled, good spells of sunshine during the day but severe frost at night. Cold at first with highest temperatures on Thursday of 3 to 5 degrees but slightly milder by the weekend with temperatures of 6 to 8 degrees. Light winds.

So...per Met Eireann that's the "cold reload" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    ah hang on a second now unless you scare the living daylights out of people here :p

It WILL be colder in Ireland from wenesday onwards.
    What happens after that though is FI,we don't know.
    Anything is possible.

snaps wrote: »

I think there is wires getting crossed here, Im talking about Met Eireann not the UKMET.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

ah hang on a second now unless you scare the living daylights out of people here :p

It WILL be colder in Ireland from wenesday onwards.
    What happens after that though is FI,we don't know.
    Anything is possible.
    I agree
    met eirean are giving tempatures to drop to -5 or below at night and day time tematures 3/4 at best from wensday night through to next weekend,after that who knows, we might get an easterly a northly eather could bring snow,or a break down from the west witch could bring snow like it has in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice forecast from Siobhan just now,
    Showing heavy precipitation coming in from the Atlantic midweek which may turn to sleet or even snow with then the easterly winning out :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I dont know if i can take another go on the rollercoaster !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

t|nt|n wrote: »

Yea! I think it is fairly safe to say turning colder as the week progresses with lots of night frosts. Take that and then hope for a little bonus;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Is this the new model thread?:confused:

I have been posting in the wrong place then. But yeah grand ECM there;) Ensembles will be interesting later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The UK farming forecast is on at 7.55 in Countryfile (BBC1) for those who want another look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

What rollercoaster? So far we've had 11 weeks of almost unbroken meh. :(

The only certainty is that the irrational exuberance here leads to bitter tears of frustration.

Better not to get too excited in the first place :cool:

(I'm a snow-lover not a hope-caster)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Me either I'm wrecked from it , STOP THE ROLLERCOASTER I WANT TO GET OFF !!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement