Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Cold Reload

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Jake1 wrote: »
    jesus, that was beautiful. Well done :)

would love to be up there in that amount of snow, camping LOL

Cheers!
    Was honestly one of the most amazing things to see, camera doesn't pick it all up!
    The further we went up all the snow was completly undisturbed and it was eerily quiet but unbelievably cool at the same time!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-to-avoid-snows-hitting-central-europe-forecasters-say-537816.html
    We are in line for some very cold weather this week, but it is unlikely that we will see the widespread snowfalls being forecast for Wales.

Met Éireann said temperatures would get lower as the week progressed, with frosty, icy nights and low temperatures by day.

Rain will pass away by Tuesday. From then on, there is the possibility of sleet, hail, and isolated snow showers in northern parts.

However, we will not be as badly affected as other parts of Europe, where a cold front from Siberia is coming in from the East.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-to-avoid-snows-hitting-central-europe-forecasters-say-537816.html#ixzz1kwzqr8MK

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LoadofCROC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

"However, we will not be as badly affected as other parts of Europe, where a cold front from Siberia is coming in from the East."

That's a bit like saying "Heatwave on the way, but it wont be as hot as Africa"

Winter is coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

hi guys, will arklow get snow tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Met Eireann said this before lunchtime on their forecast page:
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/
    Wednesday and Thursday will be very cold dry days in many areas but temperatures only rising to 2 to 4 degrees in the afternoons. And there is a risk that some wintry showers of hail or snow on parts of the east and south coasts at times.

From what I've read here since, I think that this is likely and possibly a bit moreso. I wouldn't believe what a newspaper article says on things like this - they are interpreting what somebody else said. Go straight to the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

i think the models over the next 24-48 hours will as always be very important with regards to snow potential and how far west the colder air is likely to travel over ireland.
    hopefully more upgrades this afternoon and the models coming to some consensus..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Ok, at the risk of sounding like an amateur who cant make head nor tail of this thread, could someone explain in plain english what we can expect by thursday, going by current models/charts?

Just cold temps?
    Or cold temps with snow?
    How far west do ye think this weather will travel?
    Will the midlands be hammered cos we are stuck slap bang in the middle of the mild and cold fronts?

Should i be stocking up on food, water and fuel?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Guide on forecasting Snow at http://www.iwo.ie/2012/01/30/forecasting-snow-in-ireland/ might help some people know what is required for Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

showers should turn increasinly wintry along the NE coast
    m2 dp 0.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Tis why I was looking to get verification stats on how things are/were playing out .

)

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72388-model-output-discussion-29th-jan-v2/page__st__260__p__2231769#entry2231769

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Thanks Nacho interesting to see how the models underestimated Russian high its been upgraded over the last 5 days been pushed more west so to speek.

Will the upgrades keep coming, lets hope so...

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    That is fairer than Rebelbrowsers comment a short while back. Maybe more junior staff do the nights.

junior staff. so are you implying they are less likely to use their own intuition? it's a bit harsh even if that's the case, because senior uk met people are even uncertain about the situation at the end of the week.
    met eireann are doing as well as anybody in this situation imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

junior staff. so are you implying they are less likely to use their own intuition? it's a bit harsh even if that's the case, because senior uk met people are even uncertain about the situation at the end of the week.
    met eireann are doing as well as anybody in this situation imo.

Thats true.

The thing people have to keep in mind is that they will never go for MASSIVE FREEZE, they will not ramp a situation until it needs to be done.

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Any idea of snow potential for Athlone / Roscommon area.

on current indications it looks like the atlantic fronts will make enough inroads to ensure it's too mild for snow over much of the country, except may be for the east of Ireland. the keywords are current indications, though. i'd say by Thursday we'll have a better idea of exactly what will happen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Eyes down now for the 12z GFS! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

Enderman wrote: »
    12Z will be interesting. The current system approaching our shores will stall over over midlands and eastern countries, depending on how much cold could penetrate the milder air, we could have a good amount of snowfall on higher ground for sure.

The initial forecast is for sleet and wet snow on lower levels but I can see something a bit more for some eastern fringes. Temps and DP are both almost there, the system will be passing overnight so we could be in for lamp-post watching in the early hours :)
    Got to love the
    Lampost watching im hoping the models later will push the cold more out west not just a tipping point over the midlands , i remember 2010 freeze models where way off in regards to how far the cold air got , also i can see this cold spell lasting longer then this weekend , i cant see how its game over by sunday that high is far to strong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

junior staff. so are you implying they are less likely to use their own intuition?

Take it up with Rebelbrowser and Munsterlegend. They went far beyond implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Latest GFS run coming out now, will it be an upgrade, downgrade or stay the same!!!
    AHHHHHHHHHH

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIzilIicT30rOfDW3pYGn59SQUrsAqRgcDIoKM8yyLq7-LKzMP

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

So the fat lady has sung!!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

mothel wrote: »
    So the fat lady has sung!!!! :(
    lol the fat lady hasn't even arrived yet never mind sung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Fat lady is clearing her throat....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Take it up with Rebelbrowser and Munsterlegend. They went far beyond implications.

i never said anything as to the seniority of the staff in Met Eireann overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Yahew wrote: »
    Fat lady is clearing her throat....

Fat lady has been clearing her throat for the last two months.

I feel like ive been on a see-saw for the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

-10c line around 150 miles further east at T72

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

-10c line around 150 miles further east at T72

Thursday snow less likely then I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Siomon Keeling's forcast is very intresting ....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

:D:DHi everyone. This is my very first post. I have been addicted to following the weather patterns for months and finally joined. B
    ring on the snow!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

it looks like it wants to snow in Dubland now, very grey and dark. Please please please do!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It fecking felt like sleet in the city centre after my lab an hour ago...brrrrrrr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement